"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TKA
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:23 am

After her "Bardock from the Bardock special goes to the past and becomes a completely different character and is drawn super bishounen-like," I'd rather she keep to just side projects.

Man, going back to that Bardock special manga really made me appreciate Toyotaro's manga. He's nowhere near as good as Toriyama, but he's lightyears ahead of his contemporaries.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:06 pm

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1067804910127697920

hmmm, all 19 movies summary. I just hope the Broly stuff isn't 5 pages long.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:55 pm

TKA wrote:After her "Bardock from the Bardock special goes to the past and becomes a completely different character and is drawn super bishounen-like," I'd rather she keep to just side projects.

Man, going back to that Bardock special manga really made me appreciate Toyotaro's manga. He's nowhere near as good as Toriyama, but he's lightyears ahead of his contemporaries.
I found that special manga very nice and well done . I like the story , canon or not , I don’t care . I hope one day they’ll go deep into the bardock time traveling scheme . I know it’s unpopular, but I liked it .
I can’t see that bishounen stuff you talk about , I had to google it ...(A hot anime/manga guy that catches the eyes of the female readers or watches.) , if is it because the artist is a woman , i disagree.
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:13 pm

prince212 wrote:
TKA wrote:After her "Bardock from the Bardock special goes to the past and becomes a completely different character and is drawn super bishounen-like," I'd rather she keep to just side projects.

I found that special manga very nice and well done . I like the story , canon or not , I don’t care . I hope one day they’ll go deep into the bardock time traveling scheme . I know it’s unpopular, but I liked it .
I can’t see that bishounen stuff you talk about , I had to google it ...(A hot anime/manga guy that catches the eyes of the female readers or watches.) , if is it because the artist is a woman , i disagree.
They really do need to do more spin-off mangas. The Yamcha one was pretty good and DragonGarowLee should get another project. Something like the Ginyu force manga would be great in my opinion.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:30 pm

IM21 wrote:
prince212 wrote:

They really do need to do more spin-off mangas. The Yamcha one was pretty good and DragonGarowLee should get another project. Something like the Ginyu force manga would be great in my opinion.
Of course, and I’m missing sdbh manga release physical books , there are some in Japan . The more the better .
Viz guys are really disappointing me , other languages companies with dragon ball rights release the product earlier and better quality

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:39 pm

prince212 wrote: Of course, and I’m missing sdbh manga release physical books , there are some in Japan . The more the better .
Viz guys are really disappointing me , other languages companies with dragon ball rights release the product earlier and better quality
can't agree more. Viz is not that good. They need almost a year to release 1 volume even tho the chapters are already out for more than 2 years. There's also some errors in the releases. At least they do translate the chapters right away, so I'll give them that.

I still wish someone properly translates the 42 volumes of the manga and also not censores it. I'd buy that.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:43 pm

prince212 wrote:

I don't care about her sex or gender or whatever, so I dunno why you bring it up.

It was just a very poor story that completely missed the point of the original Bardock special, which it was meant to be a sequel to. Not to mention that there isn't a satisfying ending to the story because of some hackneyed need to tie it into canon, even though it's literally impossible to do so.

Not to mention that it completely rewrites Bardock's character for the special to even work. It doesn't even work with Funimation's Bardock, and he's a way better person than the original Japanese Bardock.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:23 pm

TKA wrote:
prince212 wrote:

I don't care about her sex or gender or whatever, so I dunno why you bring it up.
Sorry I think i didn’t expressed myself correctly, just curious about that bishounen drawings that you mentioned before , the meaning , and if that was related to a gender like the definition I googled and posted before .

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:57 pm

prince212 wrote: Sorry I think i didn’t expressed myself correctly, just curious about that bishounen drawings that you mentioned before , the meaning , and if that was related to a gender like the definition I googled and posted before .
Bishounen refers to male characters who are drawn more effeminately to emphasize their beauty.

Zarbon, for example, is bishounen. Vegeta isn't. Bardock isn't. When Bardock was drawn by her in her manga, she prettied him up.

This type of character usually appeals to fangirls, but I, again, couldn't care less about her gender/sex.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:33 pm

TKA wrote:
prince212 wrote: Sorry I think i didn’t expressed myself correctly, just curious about that bishounen drawings that you mentioned before , the meaning , and if that was related to a gender like the definition I googled and posted before .
Bishounen refers to male characters who are drawn more effeminately to emphasize their beauty.

Zarbon, for example, is bishounen. Vegeta isn't. Bardock isn't. When Bardock was drawn by her in her manga, she prettied him up.

This type of character usually appeals to fangirls, but I, again, couldn't care less about her gender/sex.
Oh I see . I can see that in Zarbon. Regarding Ōoishi,s Bardock I can see he’s drawn beautiful, but not the effeminately point.
It’s ok , thanks for the explanation.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:49 pm

I think Ooishi is definitely talented enough as an artist to draw DB side-stories, but her ability to write appears to be far too clouded by her preferences as a fan. Take a look at some of her interviews on the main site...you'll see what I mean.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:21 pm

So this is the manga's version of Dragonball Super: Broly? Even with side artists/writers doing it?

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:41 pm

Miracles wrote:So this is the manga's version of Dragonball Super: Broly? Even with side artists/writers doing it?
I think it's somewhere between the RoF promo manga (not branded as part of the DBS manga continuity) Toyotaro did and the guide to Saiyans thing we got a little while ago where Toriyama talked about Yamoshi.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:05 am

PFM18 wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:The anime had a scene of Vegeta and Goku talking about Uub already, such a contradiction is not in the manga for example.
False. The manga also features a scene where they are talking about Oob already
Talking about Uub is not the contradiction, there's nothing wrong with talking about him, actually, Goku knew his name in the tournament, so clearly, there was a conversation about Uub at some point.

Goku explaining Uub to Vegeta in DBS anime, when Vegeta is supposed to know nothing about Uub yet is indeed a the contradiction.
PFM18 wrote: the manga contradicts things more because it calls Boo the "most formidable foe Goku has ever faced" when Boo's power is a complete joke at this point.
Depends which scene you're talking about.
PFM18 wrote: The manga simply has more contradictions in general
The anime has many inconsistencies/mistakes that the manga lacks, so I don't see how your claim can be taken seriously.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:46 am

That’s debatable. I find it hard to believe Toriyama is still considered good when we have him contradicting himself frequently. Moreso than other mangas/animes. How can you claim still claim that when the man forgets characters and their rolls?

Feel free to fact check me on these, but I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that he completely forgot about the existence of Broly.. Now we have this epic movie coming out about him. I also remember reading somewhere him stating “Master Roshi is pretty strong right?” Completely forgetting how helpless he has been fighting wise since King Piccolo. Now all of a sudden able to keep up with fighters who could annihilate King Piccolo with a glare.

It’s like the man doesn’t even care about his own tv series, but you guys pretend as if he’s a diety. The guys is not good. I’m thankful that he wrote the original dragon ball, but at this point Toyotaro is doing a much better job. Despite all the inconsistencies in the manga.
How i predict the tournament will end:

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 am

TheOne wrote:
That’s debatable. I find it hard to believe Toriyama is still considered good when we have him contradicting himself frequently.
1. Everything is debatable.

2. Toriyama has always contradicted himself. Fanboys these days are far too obsessed with "canon" and "continuity". Those things are important, but they're not the end all be all in terms of storytelling. If they were, Dragonball would've been dead before it even got to Ma Jr.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:48 am

I'm surprised the Super manga is skipping the Broly movie. Then again, Ressurection F was skipped over, too.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Rakurai wrote: And as it turns out: Bardock and Freeza never even face off in the Broly film, so Freeza couldn't have remembered Bardock with the bandanna as he did in the manga, with the Freeza soldiers behind him and everything.
So the movie is contradicting it's original source? Not really new, mate.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:18 pm

Noah wrote:
Rakurai wrote: And as it turns out: Bardock and Freeza never even face off in the Broly film, so Freeza couldn't have remembered Bardock with the bandanna as he did in the manga, with the Freeza soldiers behind him and everything.
So the movie is contradicting it's original source? Not really new, mate.
Yep, this is what happens when Toriyama is involved. :lol: let’s not forget what he said in the Volume F script comments.
Akira Toriyama wrote:I guess you could say that some things are difficult for anyone but the original author to write, because only the original author can freely mess around with what’s already been established. A scriptwriter would get tied up trying not to screw with the original story, so in that respect they’d probably have a harder time messing around with things.

Burakku

Post by Burakku » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:39 pm

Something which bothers me.

At the end of the movie Goku brings a capsule with a house and full of stuff to Broly... Given to him by Bulma

But Vegeta had no clue about Goku visiting Broly and ask where he has been?