"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:27 am

"For me personally, Dragon Ball is nothing but fighting, which to be perfectly frank, isn't something I like all that much, but for some reason, it's this really fun, mysterious work that get me excited when I'm coming up with a story."

Toriyama's blunt nature of how he sees Dragon Ball truly is something behold. But it just makes how much some many fans are able to dissect the series for deeper meaning, thematic nuances and connotations all the more brilliant.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:27 am

Seeing things from their point commercially: if they can keep the franchise running for a while by 'only' giving us a manga, a movie once in a two years and more games ... who can blaim them?
It costs a lot less while the earnings keep coming anyways.

I still think there is no better promoter for the franchise than a long-running anime.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:55 am

Mister_Popo wrote:I still think there is no better promoter for the franchise than a long-running anime.
The merchandising sales actually grew since the end of the anime, which at this point isn't really a good thing for the future of the show, since it gives them much less urgency to start a new tv run.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:15 am

Neon Z wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:I still think there is no better promoter for the franchise than a long-running anime.
The merchandising sales actually grew since the end of the anime, which at this point isn't really a good thing for the future of the show, since it gives them much less urgency to start a new tv run.

That's because of the anime. The effects of that boost are still noticable now. They are trying to maintain those gains only with the manga, movie and other merchandise for the moment.

ShinTenshin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinTenshin » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:45 am

Maybe now After DBSUPER HEROES we'll have a little anime (8minutes by month) to promote the manga !

Great to have Toriyama much more involved with Toyotaro and movies.

That's still good to have a main product that is canon.
Sadly it seems this is the end for the Anime

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:55 am

Shaddy wrote:It's not wrong to say the general demographic and audience of Dragon Ball is primarily adolescent boys, but I do sort of take issue with implying that only they can inherently possess the state of mind that allows them to enjoy the series for what it is. Besides the fact that it's not inherent at all to males or children to enjoy high-flying action and likable characters, there are plenty of reasons to watch or like the series besides what it's marketed and designed around.
Men and women have inherently different predispositions. Toriyama isn't wrong on this front.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:14 am

ShinTenshin wrote: Sadly it seems this is the end for the Anime
Of course it's not.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:33 am

So, Toriyama is working on the next project, huh? Another tournament? Another old and boring villain will be brought back that isn't Janemba? Another series that misses lots of opportunities, that uses the old formula and that will be stuck in the safe zone? Or finally... An interesting piece of work?

So many questions whose answers I'd like to get as soon as possible. :)

By the way, there's no way to place the events during the ten years/AGE 780 anymore. It's time to move on from that before Bulma and Goku's line about not meeting each other becomes yet another issue. Goten, Trunks and Marron need to age and Uub has to make a proper debut.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:44 am

'Next project' is referring to the new manga arc, it doesn't state anything about a new anime.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:49 am

Mister_Popo wrote:'Next project' is referring to the new manga arc, it doesn't state anything about a new anime.
No, and that's why we dunno if it is only the manga.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:51 am

We already know that the 2018 iteration of GeGeGe no Kitarou will continue into at least July. If Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katorii no Nazotoki File doesn't end at the end of March 2019 so that it can be replaced by GeGeGe no Kitarou then I suspect that Dragon Ball Super will return in October. We already know that certain staff members are working on it so the more time the series has the better for its quality.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:58 am

sangofe wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:'Next project' is referring to the new manga arc, it doesn't state anything about a new anime.
No, and that's why we dunno if it is only the manga.

Right after Nozawa read these words of Toriyama, the new manga story was discussed in the Jump Festa panel. And it's in essence Toriyamas next work.
So it matches with the fact it refers to the manga.
We already knew this, like the rest that was in Toriyamas 'speech'.

This 'panel' was purely for promotional purposes, it didn't gave us any new information.

Honestly, i thought they were going to present a new anime on this panel. Why else cover a main stage panel?
They sometimes make us believe things that aren't there. Same could be with this Toriyamas 'next project is an anime-thing already'.

We've got nothing official at the moment, only 'some rumours' they are working on the new anime.
In the end of the 90s we had also had new anime content coming up in 20xx.

I keep my reservations till the official statement drops something's coming up.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:25 pm

October would be such a long wait....I'd rather have it be July or April. I'd take October though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Chuquita wrote:October would be such a long wait....I'd rather have it be July or April. I'd take October though.

MHA S4 was already announced and that is coming in October.

Some ppl are speculating they are waiting to announce it after Broly is released in more places globally but that frustrates me because I just want to know. I can wait if there is something to look forward to. Right now it’s the not knowing that is the most frustrating.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Chuquita wrote:October would be such a long wait....I'd rather have it be July or April. I'd take October though.

MHA S4 was already announced and that is coming in October.

Some ppl are speculating they are waiting to announce it after Broly is released in more places globally but that frustrates me because I just want to know. I can wait if there is something to look forward to. Right now it’s the not knowing that is the most frustrating.
I agree. I'd like to know when Super's returning because I'm confident it will.

Lots of people lost interest in F when Super was announced. They could definitely be trying to avoid a repeat of that.

I would've been happy just knowing what the next arc will be, but they didn't even tease that.

I've still got the manga I guess.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:10 pm

2020 is an Olympic year for Tokyo and Japan, Goku is announced as mascot, maybe they'll do another movie to catch a broad international audience when Japan is in the spotlight?
The anime will probably return, but it could be in 20xx, we haven't got the slightest clue when.
I wouldn't focuss too much anymore on 2019. If it does come along, less disappointment but all the joy.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Chuquita wrote: Lots of people lost interest in F when Super was announced. They could definitely be trying to avoid a repeat of that.
That's true. I lost my interest in Dragon Ball Super: Broly after the first Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc news. :)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:45 pm

When they registered the domain for the 2018 movie, they also registered domains for a 2019 and 2020 Dragon Ball movie.
There is still the possibility that Toriyama will continue his story with movies only, as I remember a Dragon Ball room member (or a producer) was saying that for Toriyama it’s easier to write movies. This doesn’t really mean much though because, and this would be in my opinion the best solution, they could adapt Toriyama’s scripts directly into anime episodes while adding just a few bits of dialogue here and there to fill the gaps/adapt it better for the duration of an anime episode and to suit their needs/schedule.

The numbers speak: despite BoG and RoF being financial successes, with Broly barely surpassing RoF domestically, it was clear, at the time, that only continuing Dragon Ball through movies wasn’t the best way to profit from it and Super has showed it, with it being an incredible financial success above any brightest prediction.

This is a business, and It would be dumb for them not to have a weekly TV show after the numbers Super has brought in to every single part involved with the Dragon Ball IP.
Hell, they may also try to profit off it by having both a weekly TV show and a yearly movie, similar to what One Piece has.
I don’t know how they could work it out, as it seems like nowadays they won’t even bother writing something DB-related if they can’t put Toriyama’s name onto it as the main writer, but the new arc from Toyotaro suggests they may be trying not to depend exclusively on Toriyama for their stories, with him acting more as a supervisor for certain stories.
Basically they could have two options:
1. A Toei-only weekly show, with Toriyama continuing his story through yearly movies, or;
2. The opposite, with Toriyama continuing his story by working directly with Toei on the weekly TV show while they also produce some movies like they did with DBZ and like they do with One Piece, with Toriyama at most supervising and approving the plots: this would boost their revenue and Super’s strength as a brand, but as a downside the show’s quality would suffer due to the movies taking up resources so I don’t know how feasible that could be, and in that case the first option would probably be best, unless they also have enough involvement from Toriyama for the movies that they can market them as being part of the main story.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:10 pm

Regardless if there was anything about an anime announced in any panel or not, we're getting a new anime series next year and that's that.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:20 pm

So basically, outside of the movie, what we have to look forward to is... the manga? I guess? Which comes out monthly in short chapters and is a mixed bag at best.

sigh

And yeah, I get it, we weren't promised anything, but this is still incredibly disappointing.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.