Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
dragon boss z
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by dragon boss z » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:32 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:
dragon boss z wrote: I'm not understanding you. The better the movie the more relevant this question would be, as if the movie was bad there would be no reason to ask it, but the reason would be that the movie is bad, lmao.
The better the movie is, the increasingly ridiculous and/or petty the reasons are to not see it. Is that what you're trying to unearth?
I assume that’s was the point of the thread, but I’m not the one who made it so I can’t tell you for sure. However looking over the thread, yes all the reasons seem petty. I assume most of the people here watched Super for free online, yet I see some people complaining about money even though it’s only 10-15 dolllars. I see other people complaining about not liking going to the movie theater, and for that one I’ll say fare enough, it’s a personal preference, but I think they are making a mistake not experiencing it in the big screen if they are a fan. People complaining about it only being in dub, that’s another personal preference, but I can confirm the dub of the Broly movie in particular was well done and shouldn’t be a reason to not see it in theater. The worst excuse is the one of people not wanting to be seen watching an anime movie in public, as you shouldn’t be ashamed of what you enjoy.
The only legit excuses I’ve seen are the ones where they don’t have a theater close by or people who legitimately aren’t interested in watching the movie in general.

User avatar
ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:12 am

Jeff Gerstmann and Dan Ryckert. Why? They are currently watching DBZ Kai for the very first time and have only reached the part when Super Buu appears.
They have not even reached Super, yet!
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

User avatar
UpFromTheSkies
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1698
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:49 am

I'm not a fan of the English dub so I'm waiting for the home release.

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10253
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:50 am

I'm reading a really good book. Might see it when I'm done. But by then I'll have another book that's supposed to be really good.

Decisions, decisions.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
The gr
I Live Here
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:14 pm

Like ROF and BOG I'm just gonna watch this with DVD or Blue ray since I don't like going through theaters.

User avatar
dragon boss z
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I'm reading a really good book. Might see it when I'm done. But by then I'll have another book that's supposed to be really good.

Decisions, decisions.
I’m assuming this is a joke?

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10253
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:44 am

dragon boss z wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I'm reading a really good book. Might see it when I'm done. But by then I'll have another book that's supposed to be really good.

Decisions, decisions.
I’m assuming this is a joke?
Nope. African Dominion, by Michael Gomez. History of Medieval Africa. Great book. Next one is Robert Caro's (currently) four-book series on Lyndon Johnson.

Each of these is at least 500 pages, so my schedule is a bit full at the moment. Broly will have to wait, I'm afraid.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10529
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:47 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I'm reading a really good book. Might see it when I'm done. But by then I'll have another book that's supposed to be really good.

Decisions, decisions.
Stick to the books.

User avatar
Kunzait_83
I Live Here
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:19 pm

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:57 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I'm reading a really good book. Might see it when I'm done. But by then I'll have another book that's supposed to be really good.

Decisions, decisions.
I’m assuming this is a joke?
Nope. African Dominion, by Michael Gomez. History of Medieval Africa. Great book. Next one is Robert Caro's (currently) four-book series on Lyndon Johnson.

Each of these is at least 500 pages, so my schedule is a bit full at the moment. Broly will have to wait, I'm afraid.
I know I've thrown you this one before, but I really cannot recommend highly enough No Good Men Among the Living: America, the Taliban, and the War Through Afghan Eyes by Anand Gopal. Its an unbelievably raw and harrowing at-the-ground-level account of exactly what the title says: the Afghan War as seen through the perspective of the average, everyday Afghan citizen, while also comparing and contrasting it with the perspectives of Taliban commanders as well as a U.S. allied warlord regime. Amazing book with some invaluably excellent insight on Afghanistan from a POV we almost never get to hear from and desperately need to hear way more from far more often. Definitely some of the most essential reading on the subject of the Afghan War, which is sadly still VERY relevant nearly 20 years on.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
dragon boss z
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:59 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Nope. African Dominion, by Michael Gomez. History of Medieval Africa. Great book. Next one is Robert Caro's (currently) four-book series on Lyndon Johnson.

Each of these is at least 500 pages, so my schedule is a bit full at the moment. Broly will have to wait, I'm afraid.
Do you have a limited time to read them? I don't see how a couple hours watching a movie would stop you from being able to read them.

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10253
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:00 am

dragon boss z wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: Nope. African Dominion, by Michael Gomez. History of Medieval Africa. Great book. Next one is Robert Caro's (currently) four-book series on Lyndon Johnson.

Each of these is at least 500 pages, so my schedule is a bit full at the moment. Broly will have to wait, I'm afraid.
Do you have a limited time to read them? I don't see how a couple hours watching a movie would stop you from being able to read them.
Nope. I have all the time I need. I'm just having a good time, and they interest me more than the movie.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
dragon boss z
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:03 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Nope. I have all the time I need. I'm just having a good time, and they interest me more than the movie.
Fare enough. I would just like to say watching the movie in theaters is a once in a life time experience, and it was hands down the best dragon ball movie yet, and probably the best looking fight in the entire serious, so if you are a big dragon ball fan I would highly recommend it in theaters, but if you are more of a casual fan that doesn't really care, then of course do what makes you happiest.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5397
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:32 am

dragon boss z wrote:The only legit excuses I’ve seen are the ones where they don’t have a theater close by or people who legitimately aren’t interested in watching the movie in general.
Nah, I don't think you get to decide what are "legit excuses" for people not wanting to see the movie. Every person is entitled to their own individuality, they can have their own preferences, choices, priorities and etc. Those, as we know, vary a lot from person to person. It's an individual trait that cannot be contested by someone else.

My excuse for almost having skipped this movie is just as legit as any and all the others excuse that were presented here in this thread and no one can point fingers and say that "it's not a valid excuse, go see the movie now!".
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

User avatar
dragon boss z
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:58 pm

Grimlock wrote: Nah, I don't think you get to decide what are "legit excuses" for people not wanting to see the movie. Every person is entitled to their own individuality, they can have their own preferences, choices, priorities and etc. Those, as we know, vary a lot from person to person. It's an individual trait that cannot be contested by someone else.

My excuse for almost having skipped this movie is just as legit as any and all the others excuse that were presented here in this thread and no one can point fingers and say that "it's not a valid excuse, go see the movie now!".
The problem is that you are ignoring that going to see the movie heavily supports the dragon ball franchise, so the more money the movie makes the more likely we will get high quality dragon ball content in the future.
Not to mention this movie has the best animation and action of the entire franchise, and seeing it in the movie makes it better, so it would be logical for most fans to want to watch it in theaters.
If they just really hate movie theaters and they want to watch it at home or something, and they buy it on DVD, that's fine, but if they stream it online for free, that is not fine.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5397
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:11 pm

dragon boss z wrote:The problem is that you are ignoring that going to see the movie heavily supports the dragon ball franchise, so the more money the movie makes the more likely we will get high quality dragon ball content in the future.
Not to mention this movie has the best animation and action of the entire franchise, and seeing it in the movie makes it better, so it would be logical for most fans to want to watch it in theaters.
"I'm ignoring it" because that has nothing to do with the point here. Supporting the movie/franchise is also up to the person to decide whether they want it or not. The point is what you consider as "legit excuses" which actually means nothing. You have your own preferences and reasons to watch the movie at the theathers and thus your ways to support the franchise, let others have their own preferences and reasons to watch (or not) it as well without judging them.

Also "the more money the movie makes, the more likely we get high quality Dragon Ball content"? You mean in terms of animation right? Because surely if you mean story-wise then I'd say I prefer Dragon Ball to not get any money at all, look at Dragon Ball Super "story", it's unbelievable how weak it is, having just one saga with a plot along with two boring tournaments (with no stories) and two crap retellings, we could barely say Dragon Ball Super has "high quality content" story-wise.
But if you really mean animation-wise, then I have to tell you that there are people who don't actually care about that. I am one of those. The quality of the animation of Dragon Ball Super Broly impacts me as much as watching a low-budget TV series... I don't even pay attention to that matter. This is why you rarely see me in threads about animation, or you rarely see me talking about it. Anyway this is beyond the point/discussion you and me are having here.

To get things back on track, as I explained in a previous post in this thread, I only went to theaters to check the shallowness of "story" that the movie seemingly would have, the past section, stuff that matter to me. It's no different from people who went to theaters to check how the movie has "the best animation and action of the entire franchise" as you put it. All these preferences are valid, legit ones.
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

User avatar
dragon boss z
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:07 pm

Grimlock wrote: "I'm ignoring it" because that has nothing to do with the point here. Supporting the movie/franchise is also up to the person to decide whether they want it or not. The point is what you consider as "legit excuses" which actually means nothing. You have your own preferences and reasons to watch the movie at the theathers and thus your ways to support the franchise, let others have their own preferences and reasons to watch (or not) it as well without judging them.
OK, maybe I worded that wrong. I shouldn't have said legitimate, I should have said petty reasons. Not going to watch it in the movie do to being embarrassed of people thinking you like anime for example.
Also "the more money the movie makes, the more likely we get high quality Dragon Ball content"? You mean in terms of animation right? Because surely if you mean story-wise then I'd say I prefer Dragon Ball to not get any money at all, look at Dragon Ball Super "story", it's unbelievable how weak it is, having just one saga with a plot along with two boring tournaments (with no stories) and two crap retellings, we could barely say Dragon Ball Super has "high quality content" story-wise.
But if you really mean animation-wise, then I have to tell you that there are people who don't actually care about that. I am one of those. The quality of the animation of Dragon Ball Super Broly impacts me as much as watching a low-budget TV series... I don't even pay attention to that matter. This is why you rarely see me in threads about animation, or you rarely see me talking about it. Anyway this is beyond the point/discussion you and me are having here.
I meant animeation mostly, but the more money they make the more they give a damn about it in general, so they may put more effort into the story as well. And you say you don't care about animation, so does that mean you would be ok with them making stick figures fighting each other and calling it dragon ball?
To get things back on track, as I explained in a previous post in this thread, I only went to theaters to check the shallowness of "story" that the movie seemingly would have, the past section, stuff that matter to me. It's no different from people who went to theaters to check how the movie has "the best animation and action of the entire franchise" as you put it. All these preferences are valid, legit ones.
You went there just to see how shallow it was? You are sounding like hater to me. Dragon ball has never been deep, and it has never been well written, so I'm not sure what you expected. It has always been an entertaining adventure/action/comedy, but never a well written masterpiece.

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8785
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:26 pm

It doesn't look very interesting. Also I shudder to think of the crowd that would turn up for it... the whole experience seems like it'd be completely awkward.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I'm reading a really good book. Might see it when I'm done. But by then I'll have another book that's supposed to be really good.

Decisions, decisions.
I’m assuming this is a joke?
Nope. African Dominion, by Michael Gomez. History of Medieval Africa. Great book. Next one is Robert Caro's (currently) four-book series on Lyndon Johnson.

Each of these is at least 500 pages, so my schedule is a bit full at the moment. Broly will have to wait, I'm afraid.
I'm kind of coming at this from the perspective of an economics major... but if you're interested in the history of Africa at all, and more particularly its modern history, I would definitely recommend reading Indigenous African Institutions (2nd edition) by George Ayittey at some point. Very little in the way of romanticism or fluffy wording, maybe even a bit dry for some tastes, but it's a great work for explaining how and why the current situations came to be, how Africa transitioned to the modern age, what it kept and what it disposed of, and its possibilities moving forward. Unlike many people who attempt to write on economic history (though that's not the only focus of the book, there's a lot on social and political institutions), the author is an actual economist (as well as a professor at the American University in D.C.), and clearly knows what he's talking about. Very eye-opening.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5397
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:05 pm

dragon boss z wrote:And you say you don't care about animation, so does that mean you would be ok with them making stick figures fighting each other and calling it dragon ball?
Well, if I find the series itself entertaining, why not? After all, I don't watch Dragon Ball because of the fights.
dragon boss z wrote:You went there just to see how shallow it was? You are sounding like hater to me. Dragon ball has never been deep, and it has never been well written, so I'm not sure what you expected. It has always been an entertaining adventure/action/comedy, but never a well written masterpiece.
No, by "shallow" I don't mean a deep story, I mean a convincing and not rushed story, and it is exactly the opposite of those what the movie delivers. An extremely rushed flashback that one may not be able to buy the motivations and being attached to the personalities of the characters. Gine is the one who suffers the most because of that. I expected a more elaborated story this time, based on that first tagline the movie had when it was announced in Jump Festa and that "space opera with different layers" thing they kept mentioning over and over. What we got in reality was just a movie with a rushed flashback followed by an extended and senseless fight scene.
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

User avatar
dragon boss z
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:40 pm

Grimlock wrote: Well, if I find the series itself entertaining, why not? After all, I don't watch Dragon Ball because of the fights.
I agree the series being entertaining is the most important. But when things look like this
it's a big turnoff.
No, by "shallow" I don't mean a deep story, I mean a convincing and not rushed story, and it is exactly the opposite of those what the movie delivers. An extremely rushed flashback that one may not be able to buy the motivations and being attached to the personalities of the characters. Gine is the one who suffers the most because of that. I expected a more elaborated story this time, based on that first tagline the movie had when it was announced in Jump Festa and that "space opera with different layers" thing they kept mentioning over and over. What we got in reality was just a movie with a rushed flashback followed by an extended and senseless fight scene.
Yeah, it was a bit rushed. I think if it showed the scene that led to Bardock fighting against the Frieza soldiers that lead up to his final attack against Frieza's attack I think it would have been fine, but it was a little jarring that all of a sudden Bardock was there fighting for his life. As for the rest of the movie just being an extended fight scene, about 50% of it was, but there were other things as well. Not to mention some great comedic moments as well.

Post Reply