Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by TVfan721 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:21 pm

The idiots in this thread that are preaching "innocent until proven guilty" are EXACTLY why so many victims of sexual harassment are too afraid to ever come forward.

Huge thank you to VegettoEX for his stance on this matter.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:26 pm

Monica Rial has tweeted on the matter for anyone who’s interested, I guess.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rialisms/sta ... gr%5Etweet

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:32 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Please don't misunderstand, I'm not saying there isn't a decent amount of evidence piled up against Vic. It is highly possible he's guilty. But I personally will not condemn the man until it's absolute. I think that's a perfectly reasonable stance.
Well, the point of my explanation is these things are almost never absolute because of the nature of evidence for these crimes. A lot of it also comes down to he-said-she-said. There'll never be absolute evidence. Does that mean victims shouldn't come forward? Because that's what this attitude brings.
PremiumSalt wrote:On the other hand, I have no idea where the hell you got this from. Newsflash, I'm a woman. So even if your assumption about me here was correct, if you want to play the "problematic" game, I'd say that you talking down to me, a woman, in regards to my views on the power imbalance between men and women is pretty "problematic".
I apologize for making a presumption about you. The demographics of this site are vast, which means there's also many young users on this site who don't have a nuanced view of the world. I made an assumption that you two were younger users, and I apologize for that.

But it still stands that the arguments you made are troubling because they encourage a culture of victim-blaming that sees predators go free.

Throwing doubt on something like this when there's been noise about this for over a decade just comes off as cruel and disingenuous.
TVfan721 wrote:The idiots in this thread that are preaching "innocent until proven guilty" are EXACTLY why so many victims of sexual harassment are too afraid to ever come forward.
This isn't necessary. When you're combative and start assigning labels, people are less likely to consider your perspective.

I feel like we can broach this subject with the nuance and empathy it deserves. We're all people here.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:37 pm

I am completely willing to give support and believe victims of sexual harassment, assault, and other types of crime. However, this article does the alleged victims of Vic Mignogna no favors. I have no reason to support Mignogna, I don't even watch the dub, but likewise I have no reason to believe ANN's lackluster "reporting" either.

Firstly, ANN's "corroborated" stories are impossible to verify outside of their editorial staff. It's nice that everyone believes ANN, but there are a couple of reasons to have my doubts. For one, the site has a history of hatred for Mignogna himself, on its podcast in particular. The creator of the site himself has also been accused of sexually predatory practices. And an actual contributor to the site was outed as an actual predator. This brings me to question their agenda on things. They're happy to take Japanese cult money to advertise a movie, I wouldn't put anything past them.

The article itself has already seen its share of changes. One of the girl's pictured in the article (the fifth one shown, in the red hair) on Facebook came out in support of Vic. This led to many, and myself questioning all of the photos used. The article mentions that they had gotten permission from everyone who owns the photos but on their forums, staff are saying that since they're already public they are free to use them. It doesn't seem like the most sensitive or supportive way to go about things if ANN is supposedly so caring about victims and con-goers. ANN should more clearly state why they are using such photos.

One of the victims spotlighted recently had her claims refuted by another dub actor, Todd Haberkorn, who came out with his side of events and supporting evidence as well. This further makes me question that person's account and whole article's supposed fact checking process.

Even the supposed smoking gun, of Mignogna giving his number to a 15 year old, is only vetted by some random photo and a line in the article. I can't verify anything about it, I just have to take ANN's word for it. And even if it was all one hundred percent true, nothing inappropriate is mentioned happening in phone conversations, texts, etc.

I have no problem accepting that Mignogna is some sexual predator, but I need more than collage of gossip. ANN, or anyone really, is free to share actual undeniable evidence. The way the article is written and framed, like the hotline for victims of sexual assault at the end, makes it more reminiscent of tabloid trash than virtuous journalism. Because so far, Mignogna's biggest crime is seemingly not respecting certain people's boundaries. That's still a worthy cause to write about. But this piece seems to have been rushed out. And if Mignogna is indeed a monster, ANN has done a huge disservice to his alleged victims.

I'll keep an open mind and a keen eye as the story develops.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:43 pm

TKA wrote: This isn't necessary. When you're combative and start assigning labels, people are less likely to consider your perspective.

I feel like we can broach this subject with the nuance and empathy it deserves. We're all people here.

I stand by what I said whether people consider my perspective or not. Millions of survivors of sexual harassment never come forward because they're afraid of not being believed and they're afraid of being dismissed. Looking at the people in this thread that have simply brushed off the allegations despite all the evidence, time, and research put into this, proves my point entirely.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:48 pm

I know what I'm about to say isn't strictly DB related,but...
Kokonoe wrote:It's not like women en masse are just trying to shut down men for no reason.
Perhaps. Unfortunately there are conspiracy theorists out there who believe that women are trying to keep "godly" men from positions of power, for example acting like Roy Moore didn't participate in pedophilia and that his accusers came out of nowhere to prevent a godly man from becoming a senator. Because apparently making America a theocracy is more important than whether the testimonies against him we're true or not (and the idea of Moore being innocent on all accounts is implausable)

I wonder how the Christian Right will react to the Vic story. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Harry Potter and Pokemon are Witchcraft" crowd claim he wasn't a true Christian on account on working on series like Fullmetal Alchemist and Dragon Ball in the first place. Some might support him for his homophobia and claim he was ousted similarly to Roy Moore, but who knows?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:51 pm

"I won't believe these claims until a fan literally tapes Vic Mignogna in the act of raping them. Even then, I'll wait for the hard proof, because I believe in ethics in journalism. WEEABOOS RISE UP"
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:53 pm

TVfan721 wrote:
TKA wrote: This isn't necessary. When you're combative and start assigning labels, people are less likely to consider your perspective.

I stand by what I said whether people consider my perspective or not. Millions of survivors of sexual harassment never come forward because they're afraid of not being believed and they're afraid of being dismissed. Looking at the people in this thread that have simply brushed off the allegations despite all the evidence, time, and research put into this, proves my point entirely.
100% agree. It's seriously not even worth arguing over with some people. They just want to play devil's advocate or worse, they're trying to justify their own actions. I have no sympathy for Vic. He's way too old to have to be told the difference between showing affection and copping a feel.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:02 pm

Danfun64 wrote:I know what I'm about to say isn't strictly DB related,but...
Kokonoe wrote:It's not like women en masse are just trying to shut down men for no reason.
Perhaps. Unfortunately there are conspiracy theorists out there who believe that women are trying to keep "godly" men from positions of power, for example acting like Roy Moore didn't participate in pedophilia and that his accusers came out of nowhere to prevent a godly man from becoming a senator. Because apparently making America a theocracy is more important than whether the testimonies against him we're true or not (and the idea of Moore being innocent on all accounts is implausable)

I wonder how the Christian Right will react to the Vic story. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Harry Potter and Pokemon are Witchcraft" crowd claim he wasn't a true Christian on account on working on series like Fullmetal Alchemist and Dragon Ball in the first place. Some might support him for his homophobia and claim he was ousted similarly to Roy Moore, but who knows?
Ummm..... maybe not.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:05 pm

Alright, so first of all, Vic Mignogna is a creeper; I've thought that since I watched one of his cons. Some of the subtle ways he interacted with his female fans was unnerving to me, so I'm not surprised to see all this pop up. THAT said...
TVfan721 wrote:The idiots in this thread that are preaching "innocent until proven guilty" are EXACTLY why so many victims of sexual harassment are too afraid to ever come forward.
No, actually, they're afraid to come forward because their abuser is generally in a real or perceived position of power; enough to shut down anyone who says something they feel threatened by, or don't like. Through those coercive means, they rally their support group around to shout down any and all opposition...

...Sound familiar? VegettoEX, you're not helping the victims by doing this; you're hurting them. You're confirming the idea that people don't have the right to say anything that offends the majority opinion.

Most molesters tend to be folks that are charismatic, likable, and thought highly of by their peer group. So should anyone in this thread later go on to be molested or raped or what have you, and are afraid to say anything out of fear that the majority crowd will start ostracizing them...this thread isn't going to be evidence to the contrary. It'll be further confirmation, if anything.
Last edited by Fionordequester on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:05 pm

Unlike Kanzenshuu, which is a hobby site with limited resources and administrators (by design), ANN is an actual company with actual separation of editorial and news. Zac (aforementioned podcast host and editorial boss man) is not in charge of news at the site. Independent of that, even if he were, knowing the podcast interview in question and following his work for a long time, I consider said interview extremely fair, if not overly so; even Zac mentioned as much lately on Twitter recently.

That being said, I don’t see how he’s relevant to this at all.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm

Gligarman wrote:
TVfan721 wrote:

100% agree. It's seriously not even worth arguing over with some people. They just want to play devil's advocate or worse, they're trying to justify their own actions. I have no sympathy for Vic. He's way too old to have to be told the difference between showing affection and copping a feel.
It's not about arguing with those people.

Other people are reading this thread who are more moderate in their beliefs, yet they probably share the stance that you need harder evidence. You engage with those who are more extreme not to change their minds, but to educate the people watching the discourse. A debate isn't won when you convince the other side you're right; it's won when you convince the audience.

If you don't engage with the ardent naysayers, then it leaves their discommoding views unchallenged and gives them an air of legitimacy. Don't just say "You're dumb; shut up."

Addendum: This is how people like the youtube skeptic community thrived, and why certain political movements have proliferated so much. Nobody challenged them, and they were able to play victims. Since 2017, they've been challenged more and now most of them are jokes who've lost a lot of the clout they gained from being ignored.
Last edited by TKA on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:09 pm

What I'm saying is that if you're not careful, you're in danger of using your position of authority to silence opposition, just like so many people like Vic Mignogna do. And I say that as someone who AGREES with the majority opinion!!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:14 pm

I guess the very last thing I’ll say before I leave this thread is this: in an ideal world, “believe the victim” would be the only possible reaction to any kinds of allegations of sexual misconduct. The problem is that I don’t think it’s quite as simple as that anymore. It’s incredibly easy to accuse someone of sexual misconduct, especially in the current age of social media.

I’m inclined to believe the allegations against Vic Mignogna at this point, especially considering how long they’ve apparently been around for, but believing any and all allegations from anyone out there can be very dangerous. Just look at all the drama that surrounded Brett Kavanaugh last fall. Several women came forward accusing him of sexual misconduct, but the more accusers that showed up, the more outlandish the allegations became, which eventually culminated in the point where one of his accusers admitted to having lied. Is Brett Kavanaugh a rapist? He very well could be. The problem is that the accuser who admitted to lying about him, didn’t do anyone any favors, and only served to harm the credibility of the initial allegation by Dr. Ford.

Again, I want to stress that I’m not trying to shame any victims of sexual misconduct, especially not if they were underage when it happened. Any and all allegations of rape, sexual assault, or even mild harassment, need to be looked into. The problem is that I don’t think it makes much of a difference whether or not a bunch of people on the Internet believe or don’t believe the alleged victims. Please note that I’m not looking for a fight here, nor am I trying to be one of those “innocent until proven guilty” people. I don’t know Mignogna or Haberkorn or Schemmel or whoever else is accused of being a sleazy asshole, and I’m certainly not going to defend them till the bitter end.

Anyway, I’m officially burned out on this topic. I understand that this is naturally an incredibly sensitive and serious topic, and that countless people in the world have been victims of sexual abuse, and if I am doing them a disservice, I don’t know if I would even be able to express how sorry I am.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:18 pm

I fail to see the logic in “we err on the side of believing victims and will not tolerate a lack of empathy and furthermore will make it known that this community will not be a haven for said responses” leading to “you will enable rape or lack of believability”.

Somewhere underneath you probably have something resembling a point about authority and I’m happy to have that separate conversation if that’s ever actually an issue (no, no one has ever been banned for liking Vegeta too much, contrary to what they shout from the rooftops when they run elsewhere to complain about it), but this ain’t it chief.

I’ve already made it clear that I appreciated what TKA contributed. Separately, yeah, uhh, hard stance here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:21 pm

Why is the interest managing editor writing a news article? I wonder if one of the editors at large would know more.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:22 pm

As the old saying goes, where there's smoke there's fire. If these accusations have been bubbling under the surface for many years to the point where other prominent voice actors are privy to it...at the very least, there's got to be some truth to it.

People are quicker to believe a random person crying "LIES" than they are the folks who were around to see shit for their own two eyes.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:53 pm

Well, then.
Michele Specht liked these people's post:
https://twitter.com/BeckyHop13/status/1 ... 3294168064
https://twitter.com/newt__noot/status/1 ... 7700256769

Not exactly one from herself, but it suffices in indicating where she stands in this.
Obviously, Mignogna's and Specht's relationship is dead.

Nothing from the companies, yet.
Perhaps a statement will be made tomorrow?
Next week, at the latest?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:28 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:Well, then.
Michele Specht liked these people's post:
https://twitter.com/BeckyHop13/status/1 ... 3294168064
https://twitter.com/newt__noot/status/1 ... 7700256769

Not exactly one from herself, but it suffices in indicating where she stands in this.
Obviously, Mignogna's and Specht's relationship is dead.

Nothing from the companies, yet.
Perhaps a statement will be made tomorrow?
Next week, at the latest?
I don't think they will. Dragon Ball is too large and it would be such bad press for them if they were to respond. It's truly sad but that's the nature of this situation.

It'd take a miracle for that to happen.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:52 am

I've been following the stories surrounding Vic Mignogna for the last few days, and all the evidence and testimonies against Vic -- which have spanning for over a decade -- is incredibly damning. I know that people who are positions of power and/or have a large and strong following can often abuse the privileges they have for their own twisted personal desires, but I didn't think that it would bleed into an aspect that concerns voice actors for Dragon Ball.

This is all incredibly disheartening and I can only hope that the proper measures are taken and justice is served for the victims.