Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1610
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:25 am

Doctor. wrote: liberal middle-class and elite on this forum is blowing this out of proportion while simultaneously calling the skeptical, presumably working class (at least I speak for myself), members sheltered.
What an utterly idiotic statement. Trust me a lot of members on here are working class.


, while those who complain about a kiss on the cheek are not.
JFC. It’s not just a “kiss on a cheek” it’s a grown ass middle-age men acting HIGHLY inappropriate around teenage girls. A man who has had a known history of hitting on underage girls loooooong before this all came to immediate attention in light of the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements.

Look, I’m not about to make any assumptions of your personal life or upbringing but I am a little concerned that you can look at the pictures and see nothing wrong with that between a fully grown adult male and teenage girls. Or that Monica Rial can come forward of her personal experience with him and you want to maintain your “innocent until proven guilty” mantra

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 16077
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:35 am

"Innocent until proven guilty" only applies in a legal context.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:19 pm

Doctor. wrote:I said I wouldn't post anymore
And yet you've posted four times since you said that. Personally, I find that very amusing.

Maybe you should stop saying this if you can't follow through.
Doctor. wrote: I think it's interesting that the (very obvious) liberal middle-class and elite on this forum is blowing this out of proportion while simultaneously calling the skeptical, presumably working class (at least I speak for myself), members sheltered.
I think it's interesting that you're repeatedly attacking (and assuming) the class and nationality of people who don't agree with you instead of just sticking to the argument at hand. Not only does it demonstrate a concerning lack of self-awareness on your part, it's textbook ad hominem and adds nothing to this discussion. Maybe your energy would be better spent engaging their position rather than spouting some ignorant nonsense about "mean middle-class liberals don't understand the world!" while flaunting your ignorance as to why the legal system works to counteract the same kind of non-consensual advances Vic has consistently made towards his fans.

For fuck's sake, man, get a clue. Most people are smart enough to avoid doing this stuff with underage girls they don't know. If you actually considered the context of the situation - more specifically the complete non-relationship between the perpetrator and his subjects - you'd very easily realize this is far more inappropriate than an "innocuous greeting". The fact that more egregious allegations exist and have existed for a long fucking time certainly doesn't help your case either.

User avatar
IM21
Banned
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Hell

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by IM21 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:26 pm

ABED wrote:"Innocent until proven guilty" only applies in a legal context.
and everywhere else it's, ''Guilty with no chance to be proven innocent''. At least it looks like it.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16382
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:28 pm

IM21 wrote:and everywhere else it's, ''Guilty with no chance to be proven innocent''. At least it looks like it.
Have you read the thread? Anything linked in it? At all?

The stretches are desperate.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by PFM18 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:30 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Ah, yes, the tried-and-true time-honored tradition of dozens of people coming out and calling a Z-list actor a asshole and sexual assaulter for shits and giggles. Truly remarkable and fun.
If this isn't a strawman fallacy, then I don't know what is.
Sin wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:I'm so sad about the lack of fairness in this world... I'm so sad that some people should deal with false accusations... and I hope that this situation will make Vic even stronger. & what I know for sure is that good people always win at the end. :D
It truly is a shame, that all those unique and unconnected people should, over the span of around a decade, falsely accuse somebody or find strength in others truths and the current climate to step forward now and present their story.
All of the people that are accusing him of sexual assault, being a homophobe, and being a pedophile, are falsely accusing him. He can be falsely accused while simultaneously not be innocent. They aren't mutually exclusive, this isn't' rocket science dude. Fucking christ man.
Marlowe89 wrote: And yet you've posted four times since you said that. Personally, I find that very amusing.

Maybe you should stop saying this if you can't follow through.
So, are you just going to pretend that he didn't follow that by saying "But people keep throwing potshots at me" or what? It's hard to just leave when you leave when you see people insulting you while you're gone and you have to clarify your position/views.
Last edited by PFM18 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16382
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm

PFM18 wrote:If this isn't a strawman fallacy, then I don't know what is.
"Mmm, yes, appeal to authority" and "oh ho ho, if this isn't a strawman fallacy, then I don't know what is" is really good "I just wrapped up my Logic, Reason, and Persuasion 101 course." Hats off to you folks for your continued education.

We're talking repeated sexual assault here, though, so, maybe let's not.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:48 pm

PFM18 wrote: So, are you just going to pretend that he didn't follow that by saying "But people keep throwing potshots at me" or what?
I'm not pretending anything, I left that part out because it wasn't relevant. If he feels strongly enough about it to keep coming back because he thinks he's being insulted (not that it really matters, since we're mostly anonymous people on an online forum) then he shouldn't have kthxbye'd everyone in the first place, don't you think?

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12588
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:55 pm

"What the fuck is empathy?" Asked the snail of the tortoise.

"And I thought I was slow," the tortoise told the camera.
•Julie | She/Her | Pansexual & Transgender | Queer |
•Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter)

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:16 pm

I feel like this thread is just going round in circles at this point. I mean when there is this much evidence and accounts and the fact Vic himself has even acknowledged some of his actions the discussion shouldn't be innocent or guilty infact that was rubbished on page 1 almost immediately yet here we are on page 24!

When I was younger I was bullied it wasn't anything physical just stuff like name calling or having things like my coat flushed down the toilet, I wasn't physically bullied but it still counted as bullying and it still hurt me all the same, it wasn't a nice experience. Just because I wasn't being beat up doesn't mean it should have been a minor thing I should have let go, I didn't and it eventually got sorted out. Same thing applies here just because Vic might not have raped someone but doesn't mean what he did doesn't count as assault or harassment and because it was "just a kiss on the cheek" that people should let it go as being a minor thing. What he did made people feel uncomfortable and that's the bottom line.

User avatar
Kuwabara
Regular
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:36 pm

What will this mean for the home release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly? Is the US theatrical dub going to become lost media? I hate to sound in any way insensitive about this... Reading over this thread, there's pretty much no denying that Vic Mignogna, at the very least, deserves severe scrutiny for what he's done over the years. I also hate to think of what could have happened beforehand to make him think that his advances, especially toward minors, were in any way appropriate. I very much feel for Mignogna's victims.

That said, I'm extremely conflicted here. I've enjoyed various performances of his over the years, in Dragon Ball or otherwise, and I would absolutely hate for this one to be lost. I found his new take on Broly profoundly sweet during the film's exposition, and appropriately fierce during the more action packed second half. I would have loved to have seen the film in Japanese with subtitles instead, but it's really hard for me to be upset when everyone in the English dub absolutely brought it, including Vic. I also saw the film twice in theaters, once on opening night and again on my birthday. I never thought I would ever get to experience watching a Dragon Ball film, in theaters, on my birthday. I went with friends, some who had never even seen a Dragon Ball film before and loved it. It's an unforgettable memory for me.

I understand if Broly has to be recast in future productions, but I sincerely hope this one performance is spared and preserved. I don't mean to absolve Mignogna of his actions, but I also think it's extremely important to separate the art from the artist in this instance.
Last edited by Kuwabara on Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3313
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
PFM18 wrote:If this isn't a strawman fallacy, then I don't know what is.
"Mmm, yes, appeal to authority" and "oh ho ho, if this isn't a strawman fallacy, then I don't know what is" is really good "I just wrapped up my Logic, Reason, and Persuasion 101 course." Hats off to you folks for your continued education.

We're talking repeated sexual assault here, though, so, maybe let's not.
I would suggest you don't go down to their level and deal with them in a respectful manner, you've threatened punishment on another forum users for acting just the same. For the most part, I agree with you but you're not contributing to the conversation at hand and are just merely fanning the flames at this point.

Now I will say this, there is more than enough to say that Vic is a creep and scumbag and needs to be dealt with in some capacity. I think the people who are waiting for the law to take care of it need to understand that in many of these situations there isn't enough evidence to lead anywhere. The law isn't always right, but also neither is the internet so we I feel we need to take both the same. Now, besides the countless con-goers who have complained about Vic's behavior, we have people who have worked with him coming out in support of him and one being a victim herself. ANN has stated this has come as no surprise. We have people complaining about Vic's behavior for years to the point where there are multiple threads and even a site talking about his ego-driven thirst for attention to his unwanted touching. Some people (not too much here but it's starting on youtube) who think this is some huge conspiracy to ruin Dragon Ball and most importantly squander the gains the Broly movie has made need to realize both Shemmmel and Sabat have come out in support of the victims.

But I do feel like this thread has become not about the topic at hand but about butting political ideologies and it needs to stop. If you don't have anything constructive to say, please reframe from posting it. There is nothing wrong with opposing thoughts if you can back them up and don't feel people should be penalized for doing so unless you have sources to back your claims as well. But simply saying "No you're wrong don't post here again, adds nothing to the conversation and I've seen both sides do it enough here where it's becoming a problem. Not everyone is going to agree here, and even among those who agree are going to do so to varying degrees. Now I'm not VegettoEX nor a mod so take this as you will, but I felt I needed to say this.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16382
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:43 pm

Twenty-four pages in and a wealth of information later, dehumanizing talk without a shred of basic human empathy doesn't continue to warrant coddling responses. See: prior points on decorum.

Again: we'll listen to your thoughts on replacement music, but we don't actually have to listen to "all of these people are lying and I believe in my heart everything is OK so therefore it is don't mind me while I roll out the classic playbook here."
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3313
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:00 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Twenty-four pages in and a wealth of information later, dehumanizing talk without a shred of basic human empathy doesn't continue to warrant coddling responses. See: prior points on decorum.

Again: we'll listen to your thoughts on replacement music, but we don't actually have to listen to "all of these people are lying and I believe in my heart everything is OK so therefore it is don't mind me while I roll out the classic playbook here."
Defending the topic at hand is not coddling. Has it not occurred to anyone that these people simply don't warrant a response period, especially if said people continue to respond with unconstructive responses? Again replying to them shows that you are, in fact, listening.

On another note, has anyone from team4star spoke out? I know they're a parody group but they've been to cons (as attendees and guests) and are pretty tight with FUNi and some of their VA's.

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:02 pm

So, I just heard that Vic plans on suing the woman who accused him. Will be interesting to see how this turns out
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

User avatar
XanatosVanBadass
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:10 pm

gokaiblue wrote:So, I just heard that Vic plans on suing the woman who accused him. Will be interesting to see how this turns out
Hmm have a source on that? Not calling you a liar, I’m just curious.

User avatar
IM21
Banned
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am
Location: Hell

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by IM21 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:19 pm

gokaiblue wrote:So, I just heard that Vic plans on suing the woman who accused him. Will be interesting to see how this turns out
well, some people on facebook have bragged about how they photoshoped pictures just so he can look quilty. I am not surprised about him suing people.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12588
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:26 pm

gokaiblue wrote:So, I just heard that Vic plans on suing the woman who accused him. Will be interesting to see how this turns out
"Your honir, here is a video of the defendent shoving his dick upon a complete stranger."
*Jury shakes their heads in contempt*
•Julie | She/Her | Pansexual & Transgender | Queer |
•Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter)

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16382
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:43 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Has it not occurred to anyone that these people simply don't warrant a response period, especially if said people continue to respond with unconstructive responses?
Saying nothing is complicity.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:46 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Twenty-four pages in and a wealth of information later, dehumanizing talk without a shred of basic human empathy doesn't continue to warrant coddling responses. See: prior points on decorum.

Again: we'll listen to your thoughts on replacement music, but we don't actually have to listen to "all of these people are lying and I believe in my heart everything is OK so, therefore, it is don't mind me while I roll out the classic playbook here."
Defending the topic at hand is not coddling. Has it not occurred to anyone that these people simply don't warrant a response period, especially if said people continue to respond with unconstructive responses? Again replying to them shows that you are, in fact, listening.

On another note, has anyone from team4star spoke out? I know they're a parody group but they've been to cons (as attendees and guests) and are pretty tight with FUNi and some of their VA's.
I've checked the various Team Four Star members' Twitter accounts and they have not mentioned it at all.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Post Reply