Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:58 am

Melkaniator wrote:I watched DBS: Broly in Japanese, Spanish and some scenes on English.

The English dub is the worst version, and I haven't even watched it completely on that version, it changes stuff, like so many times in the past.
I mean, from what I hear (I've only seen the dub so far) it's largely faithful aside from their usual playing it slightly fast and loose with comedic scenes, and a few scenes that were mistranslated in the official subtitles as well, indicating that it might not have been a deliberate change but just a problem with the script they got...

That said I do not think this movie's dub is as good as Resurrection F's. The dialogue in general felt a lot more stilted. I mean I can't comment on whether it is overly literal, but it sure sounds like it. Though Chris Ayres was still absolutely killing it as Freeza.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:37 am

Vegard Aune wrote:Though Chris Ayres was still absolutely killing it as Freeza.
He did. I wish he'd have referred to the Saiyans also as "Simian Bastards!" rather than just "You Monkeys!", but I loved it all the same. xD

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:53 am

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:28 pm

Hm, slightly earlier than in Spain. Still later than US, for some reason.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:19 pm

As some has mentioned a couple of pages before, I would prefer if not UI, but Whis to deal with Broly as he defeated Goku, Vegeta and Freeza... I know he said he was neutral, but it would nice to finally see him in action and not in playtime.

Also about the movie, what are the plot holes, so far? The only thing that comes to mind is Shenron forgetting the remaining two wishes.

superfan2024 wrote:A Great Ape is a Saiyan's true power. The downside is that the Oozaru is too large and slow, so the fact that Broly can keep that power within himself makes him an incredible foe.
I guess you mean incredible stupid, cause the Oozaru transformation is just a ten fold increase to the user Base power, so Broly managing to keep that power within making enough to fight on pair with God forms is beyond forced.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:35 pm

Shineman wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Miracles wrote:Your memory is wrong or you guys watch the terrible Dragonball Z dub. Paragus explained to Vegeta that Broly's goal was the total destruction of the universe. That's why Paragus was missing an eye and needed the control device on Broly. This is way before Kakarot came on the scene. Not to mention, the memories Broly had of Kakarot was explained as only the trigger to Broly's Saiyan instincts. Despite having the collar around his neck, those images awakened the legendary Saiyan. Broly himself never stated Goku crying as a baby was the reason why he hated Goku. The narration claimed and showed both being born on the same day and Goku making Broly cry was a premonition that Goku would defeat Broly later as well.
I don't have access to the movie, since I'm on vacation, but when I get home next week, I'll give it a rewatch with the subs for the Japanese dub turned on. For the record, the FUNi dub of that movie is one of the better ones in terms of translation. Like, I was legitimately shocked at how close it was for the time it was produced.
Miracles is right regarding Broly. I don't know or remember how this "Broly is evil and/or hates Goku because of the cry" started, and it's been years since I seen the movie in English to confirmed whether or not FUNImation simply screwed the pooch in the translation.

I don't have the screenshots at the moment, but here's what Paragus says after Broly seen Goku for the first time (after finding out his mind control device is seemingly losing control over him):

Paragus: "Could it be Kakarot? Does this mean that Broly's instints as a Saiyan have been awakened by Kakarot's power and he is starting to overcome the limits of my control?"

This isn't the first time that states the reasoning of Broly's action; Dragon Ball Dokkan states the reasoning as well.

Paragus: Broly's Saiyan Instincts have been awakened by Kakarot's power!

Not once, throughout that entire film, ever rely that Broly was angry, hated, despise or anything of the sort towards Goku.

Paragu also explained the reasoning why Broly is such a savage, monstrous beast:

"Broly was the very model of a saiyan. As he began to develop, the extraordinary battle power he was born with increased and turned savage as I, his father, felt terror towards him".

Here is what those two scientists say regarding Broly and Goku during the flashback of them as babies:

Brilliant Scientist #1: "I'm shocked by Paragus' son. He's just been born, and yet his battle power is already 10.000."

Brilliant Scientist #2: "Bardock's son, with a battle power of only 2, made Paragus' son cry!"

Brilliant Scientist #1: "His battle power may be low, but that kid who they named Kakarrot at least has a lot of guts!"

The flashback once again appeared again once Goku defeats Broly -- hence the significant of those statements above--it was as foreshadowing; despite Goku being weaker, he still managed to "beat" Broly, despite the whole gap between their powers.

The only time Broly actually "hate" Goku is in the Second Coming film, which is understandable, considering he just got defeated by him. Krillin summarized Broly's motivation (note, this is Japanese subs): "For that Broly guy to follow us all the way back to Earth, he must be really been upset when he lost to Goku, huh?"

There's nothing from the original film that shows Broly hates (or even remembers) Goku at all. He just a monster who loves the thrill of fighting and destruction, and Goku's power simply awakened his instinct, enough to break through his father's control that suppressed him.
Yeah. I'm liking those facts. Classic Broly's motives and character is misunderstood.

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Miracles wrote:
Shineman wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I don't have access to the movie, since I'm on vacation, but when I get home next week, I'll give it a rewatch with the subs for the Japanese dub turned on. For the record, the FUNi dub of that movie is one of the better ones in terms of translation. Like, I was legitimately shocked at how close it was for the time it was produced.
Miracles is right regarding Broly. I don't know or remember how this "Broly is evil and/or hates Goku because of the cry" started, and it's been years since I seen the movie in English to confirmed whether or not FUNImation simply screwed the pooch in the translation.

I don't have the screenshots at the moment, but here's what Paragus says after Broly seen Goku for the first time (after finding out his mind control device is seemingly losing control over him):

Paragus: "Could it be Kakarot? Does this mean that Broly's instints as a Saiyan have been awakened by Kakarot's power and he is starting to overcome the limits of my control?"

This isn't the first time that states the reasoning of Broly's action; Dragon Ball Dokkan states the reasoning as well.

Not once, throughout that entire film, ever rely that Broly was angry, hated, despise or anything of the sort towards Goku.

Paragu also explained the reasoning why Broly is such a savage, monstrous beast:

"Broly was the very model of a saiyan. As he began to develop, the extraordinary battle power he was born with increased and turned savage as I, his father, felt terror towards him".

Here is what those two scientists say regarding Broly and Goku during the flashback of them as babies:

Brilliant Scientist #1: "I'm shocked by Paragus' son. He's just been born, and yet his battle power is already 10.000."

Brilliant Scientist #2: "Bardock's son, with a battle power of only 2, made Paragus' son cry!"

Brilliant Scientist #1: "His battle power may be low, but that kid who they named Kakarrot at least has a lot of guts!"

The flashback once again appeared again once Goku defeats Broly -- hence the significant of those statements above--it was as foreshadowing; despite Goku being weaker, he still managed to "beat" Broly, despite the whole gap between their powers.

The only time Broly actually "hate" Goku is in the Second Coming film, which is understandable, considering he just got defeated by him. Krillin summarized Broly's motivation (note, this is Japanese subs): "For that Broly guy to follow us all the way back to Earth, he must be really been upset when he lost to Goku, huh?"

There's nothing from the original film that shows Broly hates (or even remembers) Goku at all. He just a monster who loves the thrill of fighting and destruction, and Goku's power simply awakened his instinct, enough to break through his father's control that suppressed him.
Yeah. I'm liking those facts. Classic Broly's motives and character is misunderstood.
Doesn't help that everyone hates the old Broly.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm

Potara-Warrior96 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Shineman wrote:

Doesn't help that everyone hates the old Broly.
Classic Broly was super popular. It's one of Toriyama's reasons for putting him in the canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:07 pm

It's been a while since I have seen the film now so I think I am comfortable in saying that I think Broly is the best thing to come out of this franchise by far!

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:I watched DBS: Broly in Japanese, Spanish and some scenes on English.

The English dub is the worst version, and I haven't even watched it completely on that version, it changes stuff, like so many times in the past.
I mean, from what I hear (I've only seen the dub so far) it's largely faithful aside from their usual playing it slightly fast and loose with comedic scenes, and a few scenes that were mistranslated in the official subtitles as well, indicating that it might not have been a deliberate change but just a problem with the script they got...

That said I do not think this movie's dub is as good as Resurrection F's. The dialogue in general felt a lot more stilted. I mean I can't comment on whether it is overly literal, but it sure sounds like it. Though Chris Ayres was still absolutely killing it as Freeza.
I was surprised by how much I didn't mind some of the English dub changes. Some examples:

- The way Sean Schemmel says "This guy's awesome. He's holding his own in base form haha!" I thought the "haha" was perfect. Audiences were chuckling both times I went.
- I really liked "Have Fun Frieza". I thought the timing for it was perfect.
- Schemmel's "Ok cool thanks" after Frieza explains to him what 'repugnant' meant was hilarious. I thought he came the closest to matching Nozawa's performance.
- Frieza threatens Paragus: "For your sake, he better perform." In the Japanese/Spanish dubs, he's just really polite to him. He's not antagonistic. But I didn't mind the change in English. I thought it worked to raise the stakes and make Frieza seem more dangerous.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:14 am

Noah wrote:As some has mentioned a couple of pages before, I would prefer if not UI, but Whis to deal with Broly as he defeated Goku, Vegeta and Freeza... I know he said he was neutral, but it would nice to finally see him in action and not in playtime.

Also about the movie, what are the plot holes, so far? The only thing that comes to mind is Shenron forgetting the remaining two wishes.

superfan2024 wrote:A Great Ape is a Saiyan's true power. The downside is that the Oozaru is too large and slow, so the fact that Broly can keep that power within himself makes him an incredible foe.
I guess you mean incredible stupid, cause the Oozaru transformation is just a ten fold increase to the user Base power, so Broly managing to keep that power within making enough to fight on pair with God forms is beyond forced.
The great ape transformation is a 10x boost, however, Broly does not stay constant in power. He powered up at least 2 times fighting ssg goku while in Ikari mode.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:27 am

Wtf!!?? It hasn’t come out in England yet? A far bigger and more important country than mine, The Netherlands.! That’s quite dissapointing and mindblowing to hear! We already have it here for weeks!

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Wtf!!?? It hasn’t come out in England yet? A far bigger and more important country than mine, The Netherlands.! That’s quite dissapointing and mindblowing to hear! We already have it here for weeks!
He should've porbably mentioned that it's the Bluray release date. Uk has the movie since middle/end of January.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:34 am

Gafonso6 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
He should've porbably mentioned that it's the Bluray release date. Uk has the movie since middle/end of January.
Yeah, should have mentioned that. My bad.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Something I just noticed in the English dub. Right after Goku yells "Have fun, Freeza!" you can hear Vegeta chuckling. That is the icing on the cake.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Something I just noticed in the English dub. Right after Goku yells "Have fun, Freeza!" you can hear Vegeta chuckling. That is the icing on the cake.
See, it's dub changes like that I don't mind to see from FUNimation. They're small but fit the tone of scene and are appropriate for the character saying the line.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:28 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Something I just noticed in the English dub. Right after Goku yells "Have fun, Freeza!" you can hear Vegeta chuckling. That is the icing on the cake.
I’d say it’s that, and vegeta saying “perfect landing” right after him and Goku fall in front of piccolo

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm

I haven't watched the movie yet but isn't that sarcasm from Vegeta? I know it's supposed to be comedic and you all enjoyed it, but how exactly is that true to the character?

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Miracles wrote:
Broly was super popular. It's one of Toriyama's reasons for putting him in the canon.
Akira never cared for Broly until someone told him "Broly's popular, you should maybe use this".

He had to watch the OG movie to even remember who Broly was.
Vegard Aune wrote:

I mean, from what I hear (I've only seen the dub so far) it's largely faithful
Indeed, mostly, yeah, it's details, nothing more, but like they say, the Enma Daiō is on the details.
foxfang4 wrote:
I was surprised by how much I didn't mind some of the English dub changes. Some examples:
None of those examples are that much of an issue for me.

I disliked how the English dub fails to show Gogeta's Goku side talking. Like saying "Kakarot" that's Vegetto who say that, Gogeta says "Goku" also since the English version doesn't have an equivalent to "Whis-san" they also missed that one, Spanish version has "Señor Whis" fortunately.

Also, Whis shouldn't say "so you CAN work together" he already knows that from the ToP, on the other hand the Jap/Spa comment about him being surprised specifically about the fusion it's much better.

Like I said details, but those details bring a feeling of loss to get the full info.
Jaetinh wrote:I haven't watched the movie yet but isn't that sarcasm from Vegeta? I know it's supposed to be comedic and you all enjoyed it, but how exactly is that true to the character?
Well to be fair, there's no "true to the character" anymore, there's only DBS.
Draconic wrote: - Gogeta is great. I love the way he choses a name for himself... He's pretty fun. But when you really look at it deeper his inclusion is just shallow. He doesn't resonate with any of the themes of the movie and he also introduces some big tension problems.
DBS is as fan service as it can get, and most of the time is just bad fan service.

And about tension, DB destroyed actual tension, DBS just worsen it.
Draconic wrote: The movie just kinda assumes you're taken aback by the pure spectacle and while in the seat that's true, when the wheels start turning again in your brain you realize things are weird here.
For some that never happens, it's why those think DBS is a masterpiece, and why Toei think they don't have to actually try.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:41 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Broly was super popular. It's one of Toriyama's reasons for putting him in the canon.
Akira never cared for Broly until someone told him "Broly's popular, you should maybe use this".

He had to watch the OG movie to even remember who Broly was.
Yes. That is true. Broly was always popular tho.