Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:18 am

I get that most here hate widescreen for Dragon Ball Z and Kai, but I personally think it suited Kai really well with the newly composed score by Yamamoto (yes, it was plagiarized, let's move on) as the 16x9 AR with the new score gave it a phenomenal cinematic experience. 4x3 AR on the other hand, yes, we get to see the whole picture but it doesn't feel as satisfying as 16x9 AR which was the original broadcast aspect ratio and somewhat intended to be seen as such. Most countries got Kai on 4x3 AR for TV/Home Media release while others got 16x9 AR for TV/Home Media release.

4x3 AR could be seen as the 'Classic Dragon Ball Kai remaster' whereas 16x9 AR as 'Modern Dragon Ball Kai remaster'. Two different aspect ratios perfectly fine.

Some screenshots I took from Kai's original Japanese broadcast episodes:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1246
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:56 am

The way I see it, 4:3 is the way the footage was originally meant to be seen, but 16:9 provides better continuity with The Final Chapters and Super.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:13 pm

Danfun64 wrote:The way I see it, 4:3 is the way the footage was originally meant to be seen, but 16:9 provides better continuity with The Final Chapters and Super.
Originally intended to be seen? If we go by the Japanese broadcast, widescreen is the intended AR but TOEI provided a 4x3 AR option.

France got the series all in 16x9 AR so they never had any issues going from 4x3 AR to 16x9 AR. Wish we [English market] got that too.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:07 pm

I'm all for 16x9 for kai, it kinda fills my need for an updated experience for a story I've seen too many times

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1246
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:19 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:The way I see it, 4:3 is the way the footage was originally meant to be seen, but 16:9 provides better continuity with The Final Chapters and Super.
Originally intended to be seen? If we go by the Japanese broadcast, widescreen is the intended AR but TOEI provided a 4x3 AR option.
Z was meant to be in 4:3. Kai in 16:9 by definition requires reframing footage. Granted, stuff like the reanimated bits help a lot, but there will still be moments where you're missing part of the picture because of the crop.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:27 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Z was meant to be in 4:3. Kai in 16:9 by definition requires reframing footage. Granted, stuff like the reanimated bits help a lot, but there will still be moments where you're missing part of the picture because of the crop.
Yeah, that's what happens when it's cropped to 16x9 AR just like the Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z movies are intended to be seen in 16x9 AR where it too loses picture on top and bottom.

To be honest, the cropping done on Kai was fantastic so have no issues with it.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1150
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:33 am

Of course here Kai was only released exclusively in 4:3 for both DVD and BD, which was the opposite of the releases in Japan which had the individual DVD volumes be the 16:9 widescreen versions mirroring the TV broadcast though not as nice looking apparently while the Blu-ray was the original fullscreen format.

I assume when Toei began licensing FUNi the masters for the episodes back in late 2009/early 2010 for release they sent the 4:3 version only, while it would have been interesting if they had given them the widescreen versions too and included both on the releases for people to choose which aspect ratio they prefer.

User avatar
Chilly
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:23 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by Chilly » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:33 am
Of course here Kai was only released exclusively in 4:3 for both DVD and BD, which was the opposite of the releases in Japan which had the individual DVD volumes be the 16:9 widescreen versions mirroring the TV broadcast though not as nice looking apparently while the Blu-ray was the original fullscreen format.

I assume when Toei began licensing FUNi the masters for the episodes back in late 2009/early 2010 for release they sent the 4:3 version only, while it would have been interesting if they had given them the widescreen versions too and included both on the releases for people to choose which aspect ratio they prefer.
This has always boggled my mind a bit. So, if I'm understanding this right, the US Blu Ray/DVD releases were sold on a 4:3 ratio, whereas the Japanese Blu Rays/DVDs were 16:9?

I was also confused because I heard the USA DVDs were 16:9 BUT the Blu Rays were 4:3. :wtf:

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1150
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Chilly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:33 am
Of course here Kai was only released exclusively in 4:3 for both DVD and BD, which was the opposite of the releases in Japan which had the individual DVD volumes be the 16:9 widescreen versions mirroring the TV broadcast though not as nice looking apparently while the Blu-ray was the original fullscreen format.

I assume when Toei began licensing FUNi the masters for the episodes back in late 2009/early 2010 for release they sent the 4:3 version only, while it would have been interesting if they had given them the widescreen versions too and included both on the releases for people to choose which aspect ratio they prefer.
This has always boggled my mind a bit. So, if I'm understanding this right, the US Blu Ray/DVD releases were sold on a 4:3 ratio, whereas the Japanese Blu Rays/DVDs were 16:9?

I was also confused because I heard the USA DVDs were 16:9 BUT the Blu Rays were 4:3. :wtf:
Basically, it's as follows below.

Japan

DVD: 16:9

BD: 4:3


U.S.

DVD: 4:3

BD: 4:3


So yeah, only the DVD's in Japan are the cropped widescreen version like the TV broadcast while the Blu-rays are fullscreen, whereas over here it's the original fullscreen on both formats.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Chilly
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:23 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by Chilly » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:23 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:19 pm
Chilly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:33 am
Of course here Kai was only released exclusively in 4:3 for both DVD and BD, which was the opposite of the releases in Japan which had the individual DVD volumes be the 16:9 widescreen versions mirroring the TV broadcast though not as nice looking apparently while the Blu-ray was the original fullscreen format.

I assume when Toei began licensing FUNi the masters for the episodes back in late 2009/early 2010 for release they sent the 4:3 version only, while it would have been interesting if they had given them the widescreen versions too and included both on the releases for people to choose which aspect ratio they prefer.
This has always boggled my mind a bit. So, if I'm understanding this right, the US Blu Ray/DVD releases were sold on a 4:3 ratio, whereas the Japanese Blu Rays/DVDs were 16:9?

I was also confused because I heard the USA DVDs were 16:9 BUT the Blu Rays were 4:3. :wtf:
Basically it's as follows

Japan

DVD: 16:9

BD: 4:3


U.S.

DVD: 4:3

BD: 4:3


So yeah, only the DVD's in Japan are the cropped widescreen version like the TV broadcast while the Blu-rays are fullscreen, whereas over here it's the original fullscreen on both formats.
Gotcha. I'm actually a little relieved, I almost felt a bit of regret buying the Blu Rays (over the DVDs) if they were like the Japanese releases. Appreciate the info.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1150
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:28 pm

Chilly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:23 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:19 pm
Chilly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 pm


This has always boggled my mind a bit. So, if I'm understanding this right, the US Blu Ray/DVD releases were sold on a 4:3 ratio, whereas the Japanese Blu Rays/DVDs were 16:9?

I was also confused because I heard the USA DVDs were 16:9 BUT the Blu Rays were 4:3. :wtf:
Basically it's as follows

Japan

DVD: 16:9

BD: 4:3


U.S.

DVD: 4:3

BD: 4:3


So yeah, only the DVD's in Japan are the cropped widescreen version like the TV broadcast while the Blu-rays are fullscreen, whereas over here it's the original fullscreen on both formats.
Gotcha. I'm actually a little relieved, I almost felt a bit of regret buying the Blu Rays (over the DVDs) if they were like the Japanese releases. Appreciate the info.
Of course, and as far as i know the 16:9 version is only on those Japanese DVDs though it was indeed released in some other countries like France and a few more.

User avatar
Chilly
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:23 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by Chilly » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:52 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:28 pm
Chilly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:23 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:19 pm


Basically it's as follows

Japan

DVD: 16:9

BD: 4:3


U.S.

DVD: 4:3

BD: 4:3


So yeah, only the DVD's in Japan are the cropped widescreen version like the TV broadcast while the Blu-rays are fullscreen, whereas over here it's the original fullscreen on both formats.
Gotcha. I'm actually a little relieved, I almost felt a bit of regret buying the Blu Rays (over the DVDs) if they were like the Japanese releases. Appreciate the info.
Of course, and as far as i know the 16:9 version is only on those Japanese DVDs though it was indeed released in some other countries like France and a few more.
Another silly question perhaps, but I can't seem to find the answer on the DB Kai board... Is it a guarantee that if I were to purchase the Kai sets (part one, part two, etc.) that I would have the episodes with the Yamamoto score? Or did Funi replace these with the replacement Kikuchi BGM too?. I have seen quite a few of them on eBay for example but I wasn't sure if I should risk it. I know the Kai season sets I own have the Kikuchi score.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1150
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 am

Chilly wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:52 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:28 pm
Chilly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:23 pm


Gotcha. I'm actually a little relieved, I almost felt a bit of regret buying the Blu Rays (over the DVDs) if they were like the Japanese releases. Appreciate the info.
Of course, and as far as i know the 16:9 version is only on those Japanese DVDs though it was indeed released in some other countries like France and a few more.
Another silly question perhaps, but I can't seem to find the answer on the DB Kai board... Is it a guarantee that if I were to purchase the Kai sets (part one, part two, etc.) that I would have the episodes with the Yamamoto score? Or did Funi replace these with the replacement Kikuchi BGM too?. I have seen quite a few of them on eBay for example but I wasn't sure if I should risk it. I know the Kai season sets I own have the Kikuchi score.
I'm not sure about that, there is no easy way to tell exactly whether FUNi replaced the Yamamoto score on those or not. I assume for the most part that they would have it.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm

Chilly wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:52 am
Another silly question perhaps, but I can't seem to find the answer on the DB Kai board... Is it a guarantee that if I were to purchase the Kai sets (part one, part two, etc.) that I would have the episodes with the Yamamoto score? Or did Funi replace these with the replacement Kikuchi BGM too?. I have seen quite a few of them on eBay for example but I wasn't sure if I should risk it. I know the Kai season sets I own have the Kikuchi score.
No guarantee in that. In fact, it's been confirmed that Part 4 at least was reprinted with the Kikuchi score so if you want to track Parts 1-4 with the Yamamoto score then ask the sellers to say how exactly it sounds like. Also, Part 5's first prints mentioned "Music by Kenji Yamamoto" on the rear cover as they were originally intended to feature but were replaced with the Shunsuke Kikuchi score.

I can guarantee that you can get the Yamamoto score on episodes 01-39 from the UK release by Manga Entertainment on Blu-ray and DVD, apparently it's Region A + B for its Blu-ray version. The DVDs I'm pretty certain are PAL as they're 720x576 rather than the NTSC resolution.

Dragon Ball Kai: Season 1 (2012) by FUNimation also contained the Yamamoto score but that may be hard to find because the majority have the 2013 release.

User avatar
Chilly
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:23 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Dragon Ball Kai - 4x3 AR vs 16x9 AR

Post by Chilly » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:23 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 am
Chilly wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:52 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:28 pm


Of course, and as far as i know the 16:9 version is only on those Japanese DVDs though it was indeed released in some other countries like France and a few more.
Another silly question perhaps, but I can't seem to find the answer on the DB Kai board... Is it a guarantee that if I were to purchase the Kai sets (part one, part two, etc.) that I would have the episodes with the Yamamoto score? Or did Funi replace these with the replacement Kikuchi BGM too?. I have seen quite a few of them on eBay for example but I wasn't sure if I should risk it. I know the Kai season sets I own have the Kikuchi score.
I'm not sure about that, there is no easy way to tell exactly whether FUNi replaced the Yamamoto score on those or not. I assume for the most part that they would have it.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm
Chilly wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:52 am
Another silly question perhaps, but I can't seem to find the answer on the DB Kai board... Is it a guarantee that if I were to purchase the Kai sets (part one, part two, etc.) that I would have the episodes with the Yamamoto score? Or did Funi replace these with the replacement Kikuchi BGM too?. I have seen quite a few of them on eBay for example but I wasn't sure if I should risk it. I know the Kai season sets I own have the Kikuchi score.
No guarantee in that. In fact, it's been confirmed that Part 4 at least was reprinted with the Kikuchi score so if you want to track Parts 1-4 with the Yamamoto score then ask the sellers to say how exactly it sounds like. Also, Part 5's first prints mentioned "Music by Kenji Yamamoto" on the rear cover as they were originally intended to feature but were replaced with the Shunsuke Kikuchi score.

I can guarantee that you can get the Yamamoto score on episodes 01-39 from the UK release by Manga Entertainment on Blu-ray and DVD, apparently it's Region A + B for its Blu-ray version. The DVDs I'm pretty certain are PAL as they're 720x576 rather than the NTSC resolution.

Dragon Ball Kai: Season 1 (2012) by FUNimation also contained the Yamamoto score but that may be hard to find because the majority have the 2013 release.
Fair enough. I will ask the sellers and see what comes of it. I don't mind the Kikuchi score, but I do favor Yamamoto's over the replacement BGM (despite the plagiarism). Thanks guys!

Post Reply