"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4492
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:57 am

Skar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:23 am
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:30 pm
I’d assume you’re referencing either Ajay or Geekdom since those are the only 2 that actually have connections and can give the most accurate info on stuff like this. Anyway, I dont think GeGeGe getting a 2nd Season really damages the chances of DBS 2 coming back this year.

I’d say wait until July is over for you to start calling BS to which ever one of those 2 youtubers and their sources you’re referencing. Specifically after SDCC.
I do think Geekdom101 and AnimeAjay are reliable based on what they've revealed in the past but maybe their some of their sources aren't? There are a few details that won't add up to me. If they have a source that knew the anime was in preproduction since last year and returning, shouldn't that source know that there wasn't going to be an announcement at Jump Festa, the Broly screening in January, and that Kitaro was going to be renewed? If this source works close enough to Toei to know the anime is supposedly returning, shouldn't they at least have some idea when?
Ajay seems to have a few connections to the production part of the franchise, animators and such, since that is what he focuses on most of the time. If his source is indeed an animator, then the only thing they could confirm is that it does exist because they are working on it , but an animator wouldn't necessarily know when the official announcement would take place. These things are decided by management and that info often doesn't trickle down to all employees. .

superfan2024
Regular
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:31 am

PremiumSalt wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:15 pm
louisascommie wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:00 pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/YonkouProd/ ... 466527745
GeGeGe no Kitaro Second Season confirmed to broadcast from April 7th.
deep, prolonged sigh.
superfan2024 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:06 pm
At this point, Super will be returning in July.
I...don't follow your logic here. The first season lasted a full year, why would the second be done by July?
Sir, there is something called a change in timeslots.

User avatar
Skar
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:37 am

Michsi wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:57 am
Ajay seems to have a few connections to the production part of the franchise, animators and such, since that is what he focuses on most of the time. If his source is indeed an animator, then the only thing they could confirm is that it does exist because they are working on it , but an animator wouldn't necessarily know when the official announcement would take place. These things are decided by management and that info often doesn't trickle down to all employees. .
There are a group of fans called The Spoiling Dead that leak information for The Walking Dead but I'm pretty sure they're finding out these spoilers themselves and the show is filmed in the same country. How would a foreign Youtuber come into contact with Toei's animators and become friends enough that they would be comfortable leaking information?

I'm not trying to discredit Ajay and just want to learn more. I thought it would be more of a "I know a guy who knows a guy" situation and not that he had direct contact with someone within Toei. An animator may not know exactly when the anime is returning but I assume they would have a general idea. I'm not sure how many months of pre-production a big name anime has but an animator should have a better idea than me. Hypothetically, if the anime doesn't return in July, do we assume they're working on it longer than usual and predict it might return at the beginning of each following season? At what point do we begin to question if this insider may have been misinformed?

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4492
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:41 am

Skar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:37 am
Michsi wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:57 am
Ajay seems to have a few connections to the production part of the franchise, animators and such, since that is what he focuses on most of the time. If his source is indeed an animator, then the only thing they could confirm is that it does exist because they are working on it , but an animator wouldn't necessarily know when the official announcement would take place. These things are decided by management and that info often doesn't trickle down to all employees. .
There are a group of fans called The Spoiling Dead that leak information for The Walking Dead but I'm pretty sure they're finding out these spoilers themselves and the show is filmed in the same country. How would a foreign Youtuber come into contact with Toei's animators and become friends enough that they would be comfortable leaking information?

I'm not trying to discredit Ajay and just want to learn more. I thought it would be more of a "I know a guy who knows a guy" situation and not that he had direct contact with someone within Toei. An animator may not know exactly when the anime is returning but I assume they would have a general idea. I'm not sure how many months of pre-production a big name anime has but an animator should have a better idea than me. Hypothetically, if the anime doesn't return in July, do we assume they're working on it longer than usual and predict it might return at the beginning of each following season? At what point do we begin to question if this insider may have been misinformed?

It's just speculation on my part and I can't remember if he ever mentioned anything more specific about his sources (nor do I think he should) but I do recall him knowing months in advance that Yuya Takahashi was working on DBS: Broly and only disclosed that when a trailer came out that featured his distinct style. As for an animator being more informed, it might be that the source just didn't want to share more than a simple confirmation that, yes, a new series is being made. Most of the evidence in favor of this new series existing comes from publicly leaked info like that VA accidentally mentioning it or that article from that exclusive convention.
Personally, I think any information should be taken with at least a grain of salt so being skeptical is not a bad thing. I wouldn't blame Ajay or anyone else if it ended up being false - they're fans just like us , not professional journalists.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13307
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:27 pm

This all to say nothing of the fact that nearly all of the main players from the Tournament of Power and Movie #20 are MIA seven months after production finished. They're working on a new series.
She/Her | Bisexual | Fujoshi | Twitter: JulieYBM

superfan2024
Regular
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:27 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:27 pm
This all to say nothing of the fact that nearly all of the main players from the Tournament of Power and Movie #20 are MIA seven months after production finished. They're working on a new series.
July is the perfect time. It would also be the same month the first Super series premiered.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6123
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Ajay » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Skar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:37 am
There are a group of fans called The Spoiling Dead that leak information for The Walking Dead but I'm pretty sure they're finding out these spoilers themselves and the show is filmed in the same country. How would a foreign Youtuber come into contact with Toei's animators and become friends enough that they would be comfortable leaking information?

I'm not trying to discredit Ajay and just want to learn more. I thought it would be more of a "I know a guy who knows a guy" situation and not that he had direct contact with someone within Toei. An animator may not know exactly when the anime is returning but I assume they would have a general idea. I'm not sure how many months of pre-production a big name anime has but an animator should have a better idea than me. Hypothetically, if the anime doesn't return in July, do we assume they're working on it longer than usual and predict it might return at the beginning of each following season? At what point do we begin to question if this insider may have been misinformed?

I reach out to them on Twitter with the help of friends who translate my messages into Japanese (though some speak English fine enough). It typically begins with me asking for confirmation on certain scenes I guessed were them, which will sometimes progress into being sent genga for said scenes, and from there a relationship starts to build. After a while, they seem to realise I'm not actually going to leak anything they ask me not to, and then I just become another 'industry person' to them, I guess.

Unfortunately, I made a huge mistake a few months ago, and incorrectly predicted an April return for Super based off of secondhand information from a foreign licencor. That seriously hurt my credibility, and I won't be doing that to myself again. Unless I directly contact the source myself, and can source it multiple times from people within Toei, I will straight up not say anything ever again. One, for credibility's sake, and two for the sake of not putting anyone specifically in hot water.

With that said: yes, Super's follow-up series is currently in production. I've had four different Toei animators tell me that point-blank at this point. Only one would tell me when actually it's starting though, so keeping in line with the aforementioned self-set restrictions, I won't be mentioning any date specifically until someone else opens up... if that ever happens.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
IntangibleFancy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:30 pm

Ajay wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm
Skar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:37 am
There are a group of fans called The Spoiling Dead that leak information for The Walking Dead but I'm pretty sure they're finding out these spoilers themselves and the show is filmed in the same country. How would a foreign Youtuber come into contact with Toei's animators and become friends enough that they would be comfortable leaking information?

I'm not trying to discredit Ajay and just want to learn more. I thought it would be more of a "I know a guy who knows a guy" situation and not that he had direct contact with someone within Toei. An animator may not know exactly when the anime is returning but I assume they would have a general idea. I'm not sure how many months of pre-production a big name anime has but an animator should have a better idea than me. Hypothetically, if the anime doesn't return in July, do we assume they're working on it longer than usual and predict it might return at the beginning of each following season? At what point do we begin to question if this insider may have been misinformed?

I reach out to them on Twitter with the help of friends who translate my messages into Japanese (though some speak English fine enough). It typically begins with me asking for confirmation on certain scenes I guessed were them, which will sometimes progress into being sent genga for said scenes, and from their a relationship starts to build. After a while, they seem to realise I'm not actually going to leak anything they ask me not to, and then I just become another 'industry person' to them, I guess.

Unfortunately, I made a huge mistake a few months ago, and incorrectly predicted an April return for Super based off of secondhand information from a foreign licencor. That seriously hurt my credibility, and I won't be doing that to myself again. Unless I directly contact the source myself, and can source it multiple times from people within Toei, I will straight up not say anything ever again. One, for credibility's sake, and two for the sake of not putting anyone specifically in hot water.

With that said: yes, Super's follow-up series is currently in production. I've had four different Toei animators tell me that point-blank at this point. Only one would tell me when actually it's starting though, so keeping in line with the aforementioned self-set restrictions, I won't be mentioning any date specifically until someone else opens up... if that ever happens.
Okay then. I'll trust you.

I have to ask though, did any of them mention whether or not they're adapting Toyotaro's manga? I've been hearing rumors and it seems kind of likely.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

User avatar
Skar
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:41 pm

Ajay wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm
I reach out to them on Twitter with the help of friends who translate my messages into Japanese (though some speak English fine enough). It typically begins with me asking for confirmation on certain scenes I guessed were them, which will sometimes progress into being sent genga for said scenes, and from their a relationship starts to build. After a while, they seem to realise I'm not actually going to leak anything they ask me not to, and then I just become another 'industry person' to them, I guess.
I see thanks for the clarification. There's a lot of misinformation out there and fans making definitive statements when it's only their speculation so it's nice to know it's more than that.

I was actually hoping they would continue with another film and not an anime. I can't say I'm looking forward to another anime with the way DBS was handled. It just left like there were too many writers involved and not a lot of coordination with how each part flows together. It doesn't help that Toriyama's outlines were pretty short from what we know. I enjoyed the BoG and DBS: Broly since there were far fewer writers (or just Toriyama himself?) and no need for padding that feels like it's just there so that saga could reach a certain number of episodes.

I also hope they give it a proper ending and Dragonball doesn't turn into those one of franchises that gets milked to death until cancellation. I think that's the saddest way for any series to go out. We always hear "Dragonball will continue as long as it's making money" but that could apply to literally any success series, product, etc. Some authors decide to end their stories regardless of how much extra money they could make if they continued. Dragonball was still a major success when Toriyama decide to end it after the Buu saga. Toriyama's involvement seems to be the main reason for Super's success so I think Toei trying to continue on their own wouldn't last long once Toriyama retires.

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2216
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:50 pm

Skar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:41 pm
Ajay wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm
I reach out to them on Twitter with the help of friends who translate my messages into Japanese (though some speak English fine enough). It typically begins with me asking for confirmation on certain scenes I guessed were them, which will sometimes progress into being sent genga for said scenes, and from their a relationship starts to build. After a while, they seem to realise I'm not actually going to leak anything they ask me not to, and then I just become another 'industry person' to them, I guess.
I see thanks for the clarification. There's a lot of misinformation out there and fans making definitive statements when it's only their speculation so it's nice to know it's more than that.

I was actually hoping they would continue with another film and not an anime. I can't say I'm looking forward to another anime with the way DBS was handled. It just left like there were too many writers involved and not a lot of coordination with how each part flows together. It doesn't help that Toriyama's outlines were pretty short from what we know. I enjoyed the BoG and DBS: Broly since there were far fewer writers (or just Toriyama himself?) and no need for padding that feels like it's just there so that saga could reach a certain number of episodes.

I also hope they give it a proper ending and Dragonball doesn't turn into those one of franchises that gets milked to death until cancellation. I think that's the saddest way for any series to go out. We always hear "Dragonball will continue as long as it's making money" but that could apply to literally any success series, product, etc. Some authors decide to end their stories regardless of how much extra money they could make if they continued. Dragonball was still a major success when Toriyama decide to end it after the Buu saga. Toriyama's involvement seems to be the main reason for Super's success so I think Toei trying to continue on their own wouldn't last long once Toriyama retires.
I think the most recent interview with the series director and director for the Broly Movie Tatsuya Nagamine kind of goes to show how screwed Super was behind the scenes. I don't think we'd have a repeat of that if they were serious about a new series.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by PFM18 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:10 am

emperior wrote:My dream would be for him to restart Dragon Ball’s serialization from chapter 520 but I know it’s a pipe dream.
How would that work? Starting new stories after EoZ unrelated to any of the modern DB stuff? Or him just putting Super into a serialization form?

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:52 am

Ajay wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm
Skar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:37 am
There are a group of fans called The Spoiling Dead that leak information for The Walking Dead but I'm pretty sure they're finding out these spoilers themselves and the show is filmed in the same country. How would a foreign Youtuber come into contact with Toei's animators and become friends enough that they would be comfortable leaking information?

I'm not trying to discredit Ajay and just want to learn more. I thought it would be more of a "I know a guy who knows a guy" situation and not that he had direct contact with someone within Toei. An animator may not know exactly when the anime is returning but I assume they would have a general idea. I'm not sure how many months of pre-production a big name anime has but an animator should have a better idea than me. Hypothetically, if the anime doesn't return in July, do we assume they're working on it longer than usual and predict it might return at the beginning of each following season? At what point do we begin to question if this insider may have been misinformed?
I reach out to them on Twitter with the help of friends who translate my messages into Japanese (though some speak English fine enough). It typically begins with me asking for confirmation on certain scenes I guessed were them, which will sometimes progress into being sent genga for said scenes, and from there a relationship starts to build. After a while, they seem to realise I'm not actually going to leak anything they ask me not to, and then I just become another 'industry person' to them, I guess.

Unfortunately, I made a huge mistake a few months ago, and incorrectly predicted an April return for Super based off of secondhand information from a foreign licencor. That seriously hurt my credibility, and I won't be doing that to myself again. Unless I directly contact the source myself, and can source it multiple times from people within Toei, I will straight up not say anything ever again. One, for credibility's sake, and two for the sake of not putting anyone specifically in hot water.

With that said: yes, Super's follow-up series is currently in production. I've had four different Toei animators tell me that point-blank at this point. Only one would tell me when actually it's starting though, so keeping in line with the aforementioned self-set restrictions, I won't be mentioning any date specifically until someone else opens up... if that ever happens.
So, as I've been saying, for people who have been keeping up with the info that we know or are allowed to know (kinda), its much less a matter of IF DBS will come back and much more a matter of WHEN it will be announced officially and WHEN it will air.

Prob July. Or it will at LEAST be announced at SDCC in July.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:07 am

PFM18 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:10 am
emperior wrote:My dream would be for him to restart Dragon Ball’s serialization from chapter 520 but I know it’s a pipe dream.
How would that work? Starting new stories after EoZ unrelated to any of the modern DB stuff? Or him just putting Super into a serialization form?
I think that if Toriyama ever restarted serialization he would go from the end of his manga while still acknowledging the events of Super, although keeping it vague like Broly which kind of fits with both the manga and anime continuities.
But with Super being in production it’s quite clear that Toriyama will indeed keep working on the outlines, and I doubt he will ever want to draw Dragon Ball again on a weekly basis.
Maybe, at best, he could decide to do a few chapters himself for Super’s ending once the time comes, but that’s also wishful thinking.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20941
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:11 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:50 pm
I think the most recent interview with the series director and director for the Broly Movie Tatsuya Nagamine kind of goes to show how screwed Super was behind the scenes. I don't think we'd have a repeat of that if they were serious about a new series.
Nagamine frankly said that before Broly, Toei didn’t put any effort to do anything to help the quality of Super, just saying “do your best” to the staff.
Fucking. Hell.

This just makes episodes like 86, 94, 95, 110, 116, 130 and 131 even more of miracle in hindsight.

The staff being given pretty much free reign to do whatever they wanted was ironically a blessing and a curse. It was a blessing because the animators had more freedom to do whatever they wanted -- Tate and Takahashi in particular thrived in this department -- but it was also a curse because the scripting was so inconsistent as the writers weren't given any long term direction of where Super's plot was going to go, and were pretty much writing on episodic nature; leading to some major inconsistencies in the show.

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2216
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:16 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:11 am
JazzMazz wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:50 pm
I think the most recent interview with the series director and director for the Broly Movie Tatsuya Nagamine kind of goes to show how screwed Super was behind the scenes. I don't think we'd have a repeat of that if they were serious about a new series.
Nagamine frankly said that before Broly, Toei didn’t put any effort to do anything to help the quality of Super, just saying “do your best” to the staff.
Fucking. Hell.

This just makes episodes like 86, 94, 95, 110, 116, 130 and 131 even more of miracle in hindsight.

The staff being given pretty much free reign to do whatever they wanted was ironically a blessing and a curse. It was a blessing because the animators had more freedom to do whatever they wanted -- Tate and Takahashi in particular thrived in this department -- but it was also a curse because the scripting was so inconsistent as the writers weren't given any long term direction of where Super's plot was going to go, and were pretty much writing on episodic nature; leading to some major inconsistencies in the show.
Considering this, I think its quite obvious that making a completely thematically consistent story wasn't exactly the most pressing issue in the production of the series....

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20941
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:34 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:16 am
Lord Beerus wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:11 am
JazzMazz wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:50 pm
I think the most recent interview with the series director and director for the Broly Movie Tatsuya Nagamine kind of goes to show how screwed Super was behind the scenes. I don't think we'd have a repeat of that if they were serious about a new series.
Nagamine frankly said that before Broly, Toei didn’t put any effort to do anything to help the quality of Super, just saying “do your best” to the staff.
Fucking. Hell.

This just makes episodes like 86, 94, 95, 110, 116, 130 and 131 even more of miracle in hindsight.

The staff being given pretty much free reign to do whatever they wanted was ironically a blessing and a curse. It was a blessing because the animators had more freedom to do whatever they wanted -- Tate and Takahashi in particular thrived in this department -- but it was also a curse because the scripting was so inconsistent as the writers weren't given any long term direction of where Super's plot was going to go, and were pretty much writing on episodic nature; leading to some major inconsistencies in the show.
Considering this, I think its quite obvious that making a completely thematically consistent story wasn't exactly the most pressing issue in the production of the series....
Yeah. It's very obvious that Super was just rushed on the air to cash in on the unexpected explosive resurgence in demand for new content. And any kind story or thematic consistency was considered more of bonus rather than a necessity.

The more they take their time with Super 2.0, the better.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:29 am

I seriously hope that Nagamine revealing this stuff about how Toei treated Super also means that now, ever since Broly, they will be treating it better.
I am already sure that Super 2.0 will be the best ever Dragon Ball show animation-wise: that much is clear from how great the Tournament of Power was even though the show’s production was still very much troubled. And Super 2.0 will most likely use Shintani’s designs, which are the most animation-friendly designs we’ve ever had since Saiyan arc Minoru Maeda.

Back when Super was announced to be ending, I made a thread about wishes and expectations for Super’s return:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40998#p1449545

Most of my wishes have already been fulfilled. Now what’s next is for them to finally take the new show after the end of the manga, and improve the writing so that it’s better, less fanservicey and most importantly more consistent.
I hope that Toriyama will be more involved with the writing of the single episodes instead of just relying barebone outlines. That could be solved by having him write movie-like scripts for Toei to adapt as-is, like they did with Broly’s movie (which had a script so long they had to cut off some parts, around 70 minutes of content as Nagamine has recently revealed).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by PFM18 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:28 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:50 pm
Skar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:41 pm
Ajay wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm
I reach out to them on Twitter with the help of friends who translate my messages into Japanese (though some speak English fine enough). It typically begins with me asking for confirmation on certain scenes I guessed were them, which will sometimes progress into being sent genga for said scenes, and from their a relationship starts to build. After a while, they seem to realise I'm not actually going to leak anything they ask me not to, and then I just become another 'industry person' to them, I guess.
I see thanks for the clarification. There's a lot of misinformation out there and fans making definitive statements when it's only their speculation so it's nice to know it's more than that.

I was actually hoping they would continue with another film and not an anime. I can't say I'm looking forward to another anime with the way DBS was handled. It just left like there were too many writers involved and not a lot of coordination with how each part flows together. It doesn't help that Toriyama's outlines were pretty short from what we know. I enjoyed the BoG and DBS: Broly since there were far fewer writers (or just Toriyama himself?) and no need for padding that feels like it's just there so that saga could reach a certain number of episodes.

I also hope they give it a proper ending and Dragonball doesn't turn into those one of franchises that gets milked to death until cancellation. I think that's the saddest way for any series to go out. We always hear "Dragonball will continue as long as it's making money" but that could apply to literally any success series, product, etc. Some authors decide to end their stories regardless of how much extra money they could make if they continued. Dragonball was still a major success when Toriyama decide to end it after the Buu saga. Toriyama's involvement seems to be the main reason for Super's success so I think Toei trying to continue on their own wouldn't last long once Toriyama retires.
I think the most recent interview with the series director and director for the Broly Movie Tatsuya Nagamine kind of goes to show how screwed Super was behind the scenes. I don't think we'd have a repeat of that if they were serious about a new series.
Well then it's a God damn miracle that it turned out as well as it did, all things considered.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:45 pm

I personally would like to know how long ago DB2uper’s pre-production began
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20941
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:25 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:45 pm
I personally would like to know how long ago DB2uper’s pre-production began
It's been speculated that pre-production for Dragon Ball Super 2.0 began as early as October of last year

Locked