Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 pm

Hey we need SOMEONE to have it and provide comparison screenshots, right?

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:25 pm

KillerCory wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:18 pm
LettuceJUMP wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:13 pm I’m sorry I’m part of the problem. I preordered. Desperate for 4x3 and I only own Kai. Want to own a version of the show fully and I hate cropped. Wish it was Level sets. This is better than nothing. We may never get dragon box quality in HD or a true level set remaster.
I don't think anyone should beat you up over pre-ordering. It is understandable that people missed out on the Dragonboxes and don't have a good version of DBZ. Knowing Funimations track record there may not be another 4:3 release after this ... :cry:
Careful, some people will apparently call you a 'fake fan.' :roll:

I agree, if this is all you have, get this. I ultimately canceled because I held out hope it was going to be different from the trailer, but the footage from the trailer that looks kind of like Level footage is also the same zoomed DNR presentation, just hidden slightly better. I ultimately decided there's no point in owning the series twice over (and I own Kai on Blu-ray so I kind of already do own it twice over) when the video will be objectively inferior despite being on a Blu-ray instead of a DVD.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:37 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:25 pm
LettuceJUMP wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:13 pm I’m sorry I’m part of the problem. I preordered. Desperate for 4x3 and I only own Kai. Want to own a version of the show fully and I hate cropped. Wish it was Level sets. This is better than nothing. We may never get dragon box quality in HD or a true level set remaster.
I don't think anyone should beat you up over pre-ordering. It is understandable that people missed out on the Dragonboxes and don't have a good version of DBZ. Knowing Funimations track record there may not be another 4:3 release after this ... :cry:

I agree, if this is all you have, get this. I ultimately canceled because I held out hope it was going to be different from the trailer, but the footage from the trailer that looks kind of like Level footage is also the same zoomed DNR presentation, just hidden slightly better. I ultimately decided there's no point in owning the series twice over (and I own Kai on Blu-ray so I kind of already do own it twice over) when the video will be objectively inferior despite being on a Blu-ray instead of a DVD.
Same here, i already own the Dragon Boxes and they are pretty much my definitive release of the series. No need to repurchase the series again for me either, although i do have Kai mostly to have the much superior and vastly improved English dub that is the draw to me personally.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 pm

I'm not so sure it's DNRed tho
Funi 30th via Youtube
Level Set via Youtube
FUNi 30th via Youtube
Level Set via Youtube

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:59 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 pm -snip-
It's hard to tell for sure with the DNR, but it's definitely zoomed in. If the rest of it has DNR, it's easy to assume it's here too.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:06 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 pm

I'm not so sure it's DNRed tho
Funi 30th via Youtube
Level Set via Youtube
FUNi 30th via Youtube
Level Set via Youtube
It looks darker and somewhat grainy but dunno if I'd say that's from the Level Sets. There's that possibility.

This remaster by FUNimation is something I've seen fans do with filters on DBZ and it looks awful, they think it makes DBZ have a fresh new look though.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:15 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:59 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 pm -snip-
It's hard to tell for sure with the DNR, but it's definitely zoomed in. If the rest of it has DNR, it's easy to assume it's here too.
The lines dont look warped like the in series clips do tho. Those clearly have the smeary DNR.
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/1C9JNNNU

There are even inconsistencies with the opening...look how different this shot looks compared to the first one
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/YZ77NNNX

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:18 pm

I would have do more research before throwing away $350 away like that.

According to this frame comparison, taking the level set's 1440 x 1080 resolution as the base, the actual resolution of this cropped 30th anniversary version from the trailer is 1282 x 966, the math showed a 20.3% frame lost in cropping. In comparison, the actual resolution of the season blu-ray is 1440 x 862, which came out to 20.1% frame lost.

So this so called 4:3 garbage have cropped more than the 16:9 season set lol.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:15 pm

lansing wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:18 pm
I would have do more research before throwing away $350 away like that.

According to this frame comparison, taking the level set's 1440 x 1080 resolution as the base, the actual resolution of this cropped 30th anniversary version from the trailer is 1282 x 966, the math showed a 20.3% frame lost in cropping. In comparison, the actual resolution of the season blu-ray is 1440 x 862, which came out to 20.1% frame lost.

So this so called 4:3 garbage have cropped more than the 16:9 season set lol.
The Blue Bricks were zoomed quite a bit too. It was annoying, but not as jarring as 16:9 due to the way it was done and how it better kept the framing in tact. It will most likely be similar with this release. Please people, stop blowing things out of proportion. There is enough legitimate hate to go around for this release without artificially creating more.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:23 pm

That frame comparison proves that this 4:3 AR is hardly a genuine full screen release, you might as well just get the Season Sets as it is, I hate to admit, but it offers more picture than the Black Bricks do. Just check out the comparison if you find it hard to believe.

I just added Seasons 1-9 to the basket and it came to a total of about $200, so still cheaper than the "once in a lifetime set".

Amazon did have a decent sale on this a while back and they offered an exclusive box along with the Blu-rays.

I'd not be surprised if the art book of the Black Bricks was mostly just the art work of the Season Set Blu-rays. It's a FUNimation product so they'll do as they see fit.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:25 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:23 pm That frame comparison proves that this 4:3 AR is hardly a genuine full screen release, you might as well just get the Season Sets as it is, I hate to admit, but it offers more picture than the Black Bricks do. Just check out the comparison if you find it hard to believe.

I just added Seasons 1-9 to the basket and it came to a total of about $200, so still cheaper than the "once in a lifetime set".

Amazon did have a decent sale on this a while back and they offered an exclusive box along with the Blu-rays.

I'd not be surprised if the art book of the Black Bricks was mostly just the art work of the Season Set Blu-rays. It's a FUNimation product so they'll do as they see fit.
I took a peek at myself and face palmed when looking at the comparison, so no question will i be hanging onto my Dragon Boxes even though they aren't perfect themselves. Once again FUNi drops the ball like they always do because they just can't ever seem to deliver on just keeping the show as is without needless screwing around for whatever reason.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:29 pm

You're missing the point. Yes, 16:9 has technically more picture, but it ruins the framing far more than these most likely will.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:35 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:29 pm You're missing the point. Yes, 16:9 has technically more picture, but it ruins the framing far more than these most likely will.
Then there's the fact that the show was never intended to be seen that way, because you can't just take a series fully meant to be in 4:3 with chopping off important parts of the image and expect there to be no loss because that's just not how it works especially a show as old as DBZ. That's in spite of the pathetic justifying FUNi tried to do with the Orange Bricks as they were being advertised, for no matter what they spun about the process it just couldn't be reasonably defended because of how stupid and pointless it all was.

Take this infamous trailer from 2007 with all of the fabricated and outright false bullshit they were spouting about the bricks' remastering process, especially in the case of the horrible cropping of the image.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=miXN6645TfM
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:42 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:29 pm You're missing the point. Yes, 16:9 has technically more picture, but it ruins the framing far more than these most likely will.
This. I mean, the zooming is certainly annoying, but it's not like the tops of anyone's head's will be chopped off or anything like what you see on the Orange Bricks and to a lesser extent the Season Sets. Not that I'm defending the zoom, but it's not as though it'll be ruining the intended framing anymore than a TV overscan would have back in the day when the series aired.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:12 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:42 pm
This. I mean, the zooming is certainly annoying, but it's not like the tops of anyone's head's will be chopped off or anything like what you see on the Orange Bricks and to a lesser extent the Season Sets. Not that I'm defending the zoom, but it's not as though it'll be ruining the intended framing anymore than a TV overscan would have back in the day when the series aired.
I did a CRTV comparison with my American Dragon Box, and the scene where Raditz is flying has a near identical framing as the 30th anniversary trailer.

As you said, I'm NOT defending it, I'm just saying that it is nowhere near as bad as that 16:9 garbage FUNimation has been forcing people to put up with.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:32 am

Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:12 am
I did a CRTV comparison with my American Dragon Box, and the scene where Raditz is flying has a near identical framing as the 30th anniversary trailer.

As you said, I'm NOT defending it, I'm just saying that it is nowhere near as bad as that 16:9 garbage FUNimation has been forcing people to put up with.
I was about to say the same thing. Here's the photo for those interested Image this would be about what youd get (slightly less then the black brick)Image
This is why the zooming isnt much of a deal for me, because you can ague that it's closer as "what they intended". Its also a reason why I didnt mind the slight zoom the Rock the Dragon Sets had.

Now, it would be nice to have level or Dboz full image but for me it's the DNR that kills it because it smooths any details that a HD tranfer would bring out. Also would like to know if these will have english title cards
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:41 am

Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:12 am I did a CRTV comparison with my American Dragon Box, and the scene where Raditz is flying has a near identical framing as the 30th anniversary trailer.

While the CRT TV cropping is an interesting argument to make, I don't feel it's 100% valid as the shots were still drawn and animated in the hopes that the viewer would be able to see ALL of the frame. The composition was to make it compatible, not "this is the intended experience", kinda like how the movies were formatted to both widescreen and 4:3. You could further argue that if you put these Blu-Rays into a PS3 that was then output to a CRT TV, you'd effectively get a (wait for it) double-crop that of course wasn't intended.

Side-note: CRTV doesn't make sense as an acronym! CRT stands for Cathode Ray Tube, so CRTV would apparently be Cathode Ray Tube-vision?
eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:32 am This is why the zooming isnt much of a deal for me, because you can ague that it's closer as "what they intended". Its also a reason why I didnt mind the slight zoom the Rock the Dragon Sets had.
As I mentioned I disagree, because for me the overscan-compatible shot composition was just that: a compatibility thing to make it work on as many sets as possible. If they didn't want us to see past that overscan, the drawings would have finished just past those crop lines... but they don't. Check out this drawing of Yamcha for example:

Last edited by KBABZ on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:42 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:32 am
Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:12 am

I was about to say the same thing. Here's the photo for those interested
This is why the zooming isnt much of a deal for me, because you can ague that it's closer as "what they intended". Its also a reason why I didnt mind the slight zoom the Rock the Dragon Sets had.

Now, it would be nice to have level or Dboz full image but for me it's the DNR that kills it because it smooths any details that a HD tranfer would bring out. Also would like to know if these will have english title cards
There it is! I knew I put that image in this thread somewhere. Anyway, yeah that's my point. These deserve hate, but the 4:3 is genuine and a similar amount of footage (on an HDTV) that would've been seen back in the day (on a CRTV). So instead of making up hate that makes us look ignorant (need I remind everyone of the embarrassing "double-crop" accusations going around from 2 days ago?), let's point our hate towards the things that are really really big problems that actually exist, like the DNR you mentioned.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:44 am

Did new information confirming what is in the trailer is the film footage for this release? The speculation is getting tiring I would rather wait for full details on this release before I completely judge it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:47 am

Forte224 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:42 am There it is! I knew I put that image in this thread somewhere. Anyway, yeah that's my point. These deserve hate, but the 4:3 is genuine and a similar amount of footage (on an HDTV) that would've been seen back in the day (on a CRTV). So instead of making up hate that makes us look ignorant (need I remind everyone of the embarrassing "double-crop" accusations going around from 2 days ago?), let's point our hate towards the things that are really really big problems that actually exist, like the DNR you mentioned.
Again I feel that the animation layouts debunk your argument.