Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 am

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:19 am
Fionordequester wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:42 am
SaiyaSith wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:38 am No, I quoted someone who was talking about Funimation inserting political stuff into anime that was out of place and completely changed what the characters said. It's similar to how they changed all of the old DBZ episodes and Funimation being terrible in general by not even trying to keep it close to the original.
Hmm... Tbh, I can't really find that. The closest I could find was someone making fun of the idea that dubbing companies were somehow inserting liberal viewpoints into their anime. However, I can't find anything specifically singling FUNimation out as having done that at any point.

Heck, if anything, they're quite the opposite :P ...
I’m not really an anime person, but they apparently referenced GamerGate in one of their dubs, which is weird, since I can’t imagine that very many people in Japan have even heard of GamerGate.
....you know Japan has the internet right? I mean, not trying to be a dick. But it's fairly easy for them to get news of what's going on over here.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:32 am

SaiyaSith wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:38 am No, I quoted someone who was talking about Funimation inserting political stuff into anime that was out of place and completely changed what the characters said. It's similar to how they changed all of the old DBZ episodes and Funimation being terrible in general by not even trying to keep it close to the original.
Hmm... Tbh, I can't really find that. The closest I could find was someone making fun of the idea that dubbing companies were somehow inserting liberal viewpoints into their anime. However, I can't find anything specifically singling FUNimation out as having done that at any point.

I’m not really an anime person, but they apparently referenced GamerGate in one of their dubs, which is weird, since I can’t imagine that very many people in Japan have even heard of GamerGate.
That is the first main example. Prison School altered a line in its dub to include an out of place and dated (by the time it aired) Gamergate swipe.Though to Funimation’s credit, they did listen and fixed the line for Blu-ray I hear. Then there was Dragon Maid that made a remark about the patriarchy and a few others I don’t recall that were not changed to my knowledge.

I only brought this up because of the rise of a so called Animegate. The “pc dubbers” were only the beginning. Next we had fans calling out shows like Goblin Slayer and Shield Hero as being problematic and ill timed. This in turn created a counter backlash, referring to any critics of said shows as “triggered snowflakes”. To the point where these shows are beloved by the alt right.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:25 am

Just a note that Japan has had their own Me Too moments and Protests against sexual harassment, etc

https://twitter.com/andreareventon/stat ... 45255?s=21

You will see people try to say it’s part of Japanese culture and that’s just how it is. It’s not and everyone in Japan does not feel the same way about these issues just like everyone in Europe and the Americas don’t feel the same.

And just because laws let people get away with something in Japan that also doesn’t mean it’s part of culture or everyone in Japan supports it.

It would be like saying the Jim Crow Laws we’re part of US Culture so no one outside the US could say they were wrong.

And I am bringing this up here because a lot of alt-right and these whatever/gate nerd fans also try to spread that Japan is some at-right paradise when it’s reay not. I doubt these people have ever even been to Japan or know much about Japan beyond what they see in anime and manga.
Last edited by Kinokima on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:31 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:32 am

That is the first main example. Prison School altered a line in its dub to include an out of place and dated (by the time it aired) Gamergate swipe.Though to Funimation’s credit, they did listen and fixed the line for Blu-ray I hear. Then there was Dragon Maid that made a remark about the patriarchy and a few others I don’t recall that were not changed to my knowledge.

I only brought this up because of the rise of a so called Animegate. The “pc dubbers” were only the beginning. Next we had fans calling out shows like Goblin Slayer and Shield Hero as being problematic and ill timed. This in turn created a counter backlash, referring to any critics of said shows as “triggered snowflakes”. To the point where these shows are beloved by the alt right.
But that's fine though. These releases are made with an American audience in mind, particularly those who don't care that much about the "sanctity of the dialogue" being 100% preserved. Dubbings have gotten immensely better since the early 2000s at staying true to the source material, but they also understand that the main audience for these shows are not the people who are going out of their way to find the japanese subs or are that hardcore that they expect a direct translation.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:30 am

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 am

....you know Japan has the internet right? I mean, not trying to be a dick. But it's fairly easy for them to get news of what's going on over here.
I’m aware that they have the Internet in Japan, but GamerGate wasn’t exactly this massive Earth-shattering event. Besides, I didn’t say that no one in Japan knows about GamerGate, just that I doubt it’s as well known over there as it is in the U.S.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:02 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:31 amBut that's fine though. These releases are made with an American audience in mind, particularly those who don't care that much about the "sanctity of the dialogue" being 100% preserved. Dubbings have gotten immensely better since the early 2000s at staying true to the source material, but they also understand that the main audience for these shows are not the people who are going out of their way to find the japanese subs or are that hardcore that they expect a direct translation.
I don’t necessarily disagree. At least, I don’t particularly care about dubs anymore so a mistranslation doesn’t affect me. I didn’t even know Super took liberties with its dub until I read a thread here. My larger point is, the loudest complaints about the Dragon Maid translation weren’t really made by dub enthusiasts wanting the creators’ art preserved. They just don’t like anime using “SJW” terminology on principle.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Bryesque wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:36 am As for the studio tour: did the name change after Sabat pulled out? Because it'd make sense to remove the Vegeta-specific name and imagery if the character's VA wasn't gonna be present anymore.
No, they changed the name and imagery 2 weeks ago. They read an email last night on Rekieta's stream where Sabat was required to "change some things" on his studio tour but he apparently refused and then cancelled 2 days before.
images from https://twitter.com/ChambersofHeart

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:25 pm

SaiyaSith wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:32 pm
Bryesque wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:36 am As for the studio tour: did the name change after Sabat pulled out? Because it'd make sense to remove the Vegeta-specific name and imagery if the character's VA wasn't gonna be present anymore.
No, they changed the name and imagery 2 weeks ago. They read an email last night on Rekieta's stream where Sabat was required to "change some things" on his studio tour but he apparently refused and then cancelled 2 days before.
images from https://twitter.com/ChambersofHeart

How did Nick Reketia get a private email of
Something he wasn’t involved in at all?

Sorry that I don’t trust that information

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:58 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:25 pm How did Nick Reketia get a private email of
Something he wasn’t involved in at all?

Sorry that I don’t trust that information
I mean I suppose it could've gotten leaked... At which point my natural reaction would be "Holy Cow!! #IStandWithVic is doing EXACTLY they keep accusing US of!"

So really, the question is "Is Nick a liar? Or is he and his audience invading and hacking people's emails?" Not a terribly good look, either way.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:58 pm I mean I suppose it could've gotten leaked... At which point my natural reaction would be "Holy Cow!! #IStandWithVic is doing EXACTLY they keep accusing US of!"
What is it that "#IStandWithVic" is accusing you of? And who is "US"?
Fionordequester wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:58 pmSo really, the question is "Is Nick a liar? Or is he and his audience invading and hacking people's emails?" Not a terribly good look, either way.
He didn't show the e-mail on screen so it's possible he's lying. However, he said it's from his source at Kamehacon. Logic follows the source that has fed him info for the past few weeks would continue to give him info. I'm not share why you immediately jump to accusing him and his audience of hacking. The guy has trouble with his stream at times, he does not seem like some leet hacker.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:29 pm

AgitoZ wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:18 pm He didn't show the e-mail on screen so it's possible he's lying. However, he said it's from his source at Kamehacon. Logic follows the source that has fed him info for the past few weeks would continue to give him info. I'm not share why you immediately jump to accusing him and his audience of hacking. The guy has trouble with his stream at times, he does not seem like some leet hacker.
Yeah sure his “source”

He can say whatever he wants and you guys will just eat it up

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:29 pm Yeah sure his “source”

I'm not sure who "you guys" are but alright, buddy. I also take everything he says with a grain of salt till he can provide proof or other things confirm his statements. Like for example his mentions of Toei's involvement.

However, he called Rial's attempts at sabotage before she publicly did anything. He called that Kamehacon was in talks to get Vic back before any official word got out. He called that Sabat's studio tour was facing problems He acquired a contract that was corroborated by Anime News Network and their own acquirement of a Kamehacon contract. There's probably more things that he called before anyone else did but that is what immediately comes to mind.

He is a better source of info than anyone here or anyone else linked to this thread. Once he starts getting things wrong, I'll stop listening to what he says. You can continue to ignore what info he gathers, that's your loss not mine.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:55 pm

AgitoZ wrote:What is it that "#IStandWithVic" is accusing you of?
Doxing, photoshopping, sabotage, and other various forms of foul play (all but one of which has been proven false).
AgitoZ wrote:And who is "US"?
#KickVic
AgitoZ wrote:He didn't show the e-mail on screen so it's possible he's lying. However, he said it's from his source at Kamehacon. Logic follows the source that has fed him info for the past few weeks would continue to give him info.
So it's the other possibility I mentioned, then? Someone's private email was leaked by someone? Pretty sure that's illegal, no matter who you are.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:55 pm Doxing, photoshopping, sabotage, and other various forms of foul play (all but one of which has been proven false).
How do you get "doxing, photoshopping, sabotage, and other various forms of foul play" from a supposed leak? Or from Rekieta receiving and e-mail from his source? You throw around terms you do not seem to understand how to correctly use.

And as far as I know the only thing that has been proven false was the photoshopping as people found out before it got spread. If you believe that cosplayer chick got "doxxed" she had done the same to another cosplayer before. I'd also like to know what "sabotage" the side you oppose did. Cause the claim seems to be that there has been sabotage and other forms of foul play such as tortious interference against Mignogna. Not the other way around. It seems like the only projection seems to stem from the side you proclaim to be a part of.
Fionordequester wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:55 pm ...In other words, exactly what I'm saying. Someone's private email was leaked by someone. Pretty sure that's illegal, no matter who you are.
You accused them of hacking which is not "exactly what [you were] saying."

Leaking is also not illegal.

This is not an exchange by government officials using e-mails and documents on private servers. It's (presumably) an e-mail exchange between con staff. One party then (presumably) gave either the info or exchange itself to Rekieta. News sources and journalists release far more important information and they do not receive legal consequences.

You seem rather misinformed.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:24 pm

AgitoZ wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:39 pm
Kinokima wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:29 pm Yeah sure his “source”

I'm not sure who "you guys" are but alright, buddy. I also take everything he says with a grain of salt till he can provide proof or other things confirm his statements. Like for example his mentions of Toei's involvement.

However, he called Rial's attempts at sabotage before she publicly did anything. He called that Kamehacon was in talks to get Vic back before any official word got out. He called that Sabat's studio tour was facing problems He acquired a contract that was corroborated by Anime News Network and their own acquirement of a Kamehacon contract. There's probably more things that he called before anyone else did but that is what immediately comes to mind.

He is a better source of info than anyone here or anyone else linked to this thread. Once he starts getting things wrong, I'll stop listening to what he says. You can continue to ignore what info he gathers, that's your loss not mine.
What sabotage of Rial. I don’t see any sabotage. So you mean that she didn’t attend the con because Vic was there. That is hardly sabotage.

I don’t see things he is saying as being true. Sounds like to me he is manipulating things to make Chris and Monica look bad. But there is no proof that what he is saying about any of this is true.

And having a blank contract (that ANN also had) is hardly proof that he knows all this secret stuff. It just shows that getting a blank contract is not that hard.

Sorry he is completely biased and from where I stand does everything to make the other side look bad (whether it’s truthful or not) so sorry that I don’t see him as a trustworthy source.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:32 pm

That said, I apologize if I was wrong about what counts as illev, and what doesn't. I'll consult a.lawyer I know, then tell you what he says, alright?

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:24 pmWhat sabotage of Rial. I don’t see any sabotage. So you mean that she didn’t attend the con because Vic was there. That is hardly sabotage.
The sabotage was she tried to interfere with Vic's own contract and agreement to appear at the convention. At which point she then publicly cancelled, called the conventions' security into question, and made her own competing event. I don't particular if you don't see it as sabotage, it is and it also blatantly breaks many agreements found in her contract.

And Rekieta predicted that Rial would pull this stunt before it happened. Which is my main point where it relates to this.
Kinokima wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:24 pmAnd having a blank contract (that ANN also had) is hardly proof that he knows all this secret stuff. It just shows that getting a blank contract is not that hard.
ANN's contract was not blank. I never said he knows all this "secret stuff". I said he's a useful source. He also beat ANN at acquiring a relevant contract. The supposed paradigm of journalism got beat by some lawyer on Youtube.
Kinokima wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:24 pmSorry he is completely biased and from where I stand does everything to make the other side look bad (whether it’s truthful or not) so sorry that I don’t see him as a trustworthy source.
If you only trust unbiased sources, then you should not trust a single person involved in any of this. Being biased does not invalidate his info. Again, you're the only one losing in this scenario for being silly.

---
Fionordequester wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:32 pm That said, I apologize if I was wrong about what counts as illev, and what doesn't. I'll consult a.lawyer I know, then tell you what he says, alright?
No need for apologies. I'm also not some authority on this matter but I try to chime in when I think I can provide more info. Consulting a lawyer will prove useful to everyone. Cheers.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:50 pm

In what way did she try to interfere?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:02 pm

AgitoZ wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:40 pm
Kinokima wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:24 pmWhat sabotage of Rial. I don’t see any sabotage. So you mean that she didn’t attend the con because Vic was there. That is hardly sabotage.
The sabotage was she tried to interfere with Vic's own contract and agreement to appear at the convention. At which point she then publicly cancelled, called the conventions' security into question, and made her own competing event. I don't particular if you don't see it as sabotage, it is and it also blatantly breaks many agreements found in her contract.
Except there is literally no proof this is what occurred. The con chair denies it. Many cons uninvited Vic not just Kameha Con

And she didn’t make her own competing event. She is signing at another con. And Kameha Con advertised it.

Also she left autographs with Chris Sabat for anyone who can’t get to where she is.

For all I know the ones who threatened was Vic’s lawyer and Kameha didn’t want to get Sued.

There is no proof either way!

And Rekieta predicted that Rial would pull this stunt before it happened. Which is my main point where it relates to this.
There is no Stunt. The only stunt is the Con uninviting Vic after the controversy than reinviting him 3 weeks later when ppl already put money into the con thinking he wasn’t coming and couldn’t change their travel plans.

This further proved Vic is a creep and doesn’t care that he makes people uncomfortable or causes controversy. I mean he could have done what Monica did and signed somewhere else.

I don’t blame Monica or anyone for leaving. And a lot of ppl announced they weren’t attending before Monica did. Why is everything always on Monica? I
Wouldn’t want to attend a Con with Vic in attendance either.
ANN's contract was not blank. I never said he knows all this "secret stuff". I said he's a useful source. He also beat ANN at acquiring a relevant contract. The supposed paradigm of journalism got beat by some lawyer on Youtube.
ANN usually takes longer to publish things because it has to be looked over etc. It just can’t go live right away. So no he didn’t get a contract before ANN.
If you only trust unbiased sources, then you should not trust a single person involved in any of this. Being biased does not invalidate his info. Again, you're the only one losing in this scenario for being silly.
And you are being dense. This is not about watching conservative vs liberal media. Your source is literally a friend of Vic, ran a go fund me on his behalf and is doing everything to help his friend Vic. So yeah he is not trustworthy source.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:13 pm

According to Nick Rekieta there's 2 big things happening Monday related to all this drama.