"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4359
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Another interesting aspect I forgot to mention was how Moro seems to be able to sense dragon balls. I hope there's a reason for that and not something thrown in there just to shortcut to Goku's and Vegeta's hideout.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:52 pm

Michsi wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:24 pm
Another interesting aspect I forgot to mention was how Moro seems to be able to sense dragon balls. I hope there's a reason for that and not something thrown in there just to shortcut to Goku's and Vegeta's hideout.
The reason is prob because he can sense magic.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
RedHeat
Regular
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by RedHeat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:13 pm

Pretty good chapter, nice to see Goku and Vegeta taking a back seat for once. Also, Vegeta remembering his genocide in the early days was a plot hole that got fixed.
Feels over Reals.

User avatar
Lionel
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:54 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lionel » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:14 pm

Good chapter. It was interesting to see how the dynamic between Vegeta and the Namekians progressed. For the Saiyan Prince to bear himself towards the Namekian elder for scrutiny and and possible condemnation for his past actions indicates that he seems to be genuinely remorseful for the atrocities he perpetrated. It's this kind of development that I like to see from Vegeta; the penitent, self-sacrificing man who humbled himself for the sake of others.

So Moro is able to discern and follow the energy signatures of the Dragon Balls? That kind of magical synchronicity sounds very dangerous, albeit effective, because it could lead him not only to Earth but also the broader multiverse where the Super Dragon Balls are.

Merus has been leaving a really good impression of me lately. I'm of the mindset that prefers to see technology play a role where strength otherwise is insufficient for the task at hand. I can see why he would be deemed the elite of the Galactic Patrol. Unlike others, he seems calm and competent under pressure, even against superior foes.

Finally Buu is on the scene, starting things off with a leap. The way Jaco described this memory retrieval, you gotta wonder if this condition is permanent. If somehow it was then that could carry a wide range of ramifications for the series. For one thing, all of the memories of Dai Kaioshin? One would assume this would include his personality and ambitions. So what happens after the fight? Is the soul of Dai Kaioshin willing to live out his life with Mr Satan despite being aware of the role Kaioshins play? What about his feelings regarding the near-genocide of the Kaioshins at the hands of Buu? What must go through his mind if he ever looks into a mirror and sees a face derived from the creature that so viciously opposed them.

This is probably overthinking things. It wouldn't surprise me to see everything go back to normal once the arc is finished.

So Kaioshin magic nullifies Moro's? That seems to be what's implied. It still doesn't quite explain how Buu is managing to move at speeds and attack with an intensity that is ailing Moro. Did Dai Kaioshin's yuki and shoki come to the surface here?

User avatar
TKA
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Another month passes and I still don't care.

This is just a series of fights. No better than those bad Toei movies or video game stories.

Hell, I'd take Xenoverse 1's story over this. Demigra > Moro
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder


http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Batman is out there busting his ass to avenge Goku and you won't even go see him do it?!

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20552
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:39 pm

Brief Notes/General Thoughts on Chapter 47:

- I ADORED the character writing for Vegeta in this chapter. His enquiry about how the Namekian feel about him and whether they grudge against him for what he did to them what in the past was one of the most down-to-Earth moments in Super so for. And telling Goku that the main priority would for him, should he survive, would be to restore the Namek to what it once was was the cherry on the top. Wonderful character writing.

- Although Moro himself isn't a compelling villain at all, his stance in the Dragon Ball mythos has at the very least broadened the spectrum for which the cast can be involved in the central conflict and make a difference in the narrative. And for that, I'm very grateful for Moro's existence.

- Merus' integration into the central fight was wonderful. He didn't steal the spotlight, but at the same time justified his momentin the sun by being vital to the progression of the plot. Hell, the whole Galactic Patrol haven't honestly felt as important to any Dragon Ball story arc until now. It's great to see them in such a active combat and establishing their credentials as elite and competent fighters.

- This arc has finally kicked into high gear with the inclusion of Majin Boo in combat, and it was done so in a seamless manner.

- I really hope that tease with Piccolo goes somewhere...

- Panelling, choreography and artwork continue to be fucking ace.

Overall, a fantastic chapter and Toyotaro's best work since Super began.

Lukmendes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lukmendes » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:20 am

And Goku has done the same to many planets with no damage being talked about, unless we're gonna find out that Frieza was a convenient scapegoat and Goku was the one who accidentally destroyed Namek.
Difference is that Goku only gets a bit of energy, Moro forcefuly absorbs energy until the creature/planet is almost dead if he feels like it, as shown a few times.

Either way, this story is rather bland, nothing really interesting is happening, Moro had potential to be interesting, but he's just a generic DB villain, Boo inexplicably being able to fight off Moro so well is weird too, sure, he's not having his power absorved, but Moro should be far above him.

Also weird that Moro asspulled the ability to sense dragon balls, then again, Goku suddenly learned how to mind read back in Namek saga, maybe Namek is a good place to get asspull powers :lol:

Vegeta having those moments with the Namekians is nice though, but yeah, aside for that, the story is whatever.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6006
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Jesus christ, Moro isn't just incompetent, it's like he's actively refusing to be competent, interesting or threatening. I swear, this plot hinges on Moro being a lazy bastard who doesn't want to take two seconds to make sure he hasn't missed anything. Finish off Goku and Vegeta? Finish looking in the village for the Dragon Ball he's looking for? Nah, he'd rather give Goku and Vegeta three days to heal up while he goes clubbing and repeatedly forgets his powers.

Is Meerus Bi-polar? He keeps saying what is most likely to happen, then when it happens, he's completely gobsmacked.

What the fuck is even going on with Buu? His absorption abilities have suddenly taken on a new effect all of the sudden?

And more flaccid scenes of Toyo butchered attempt at giving Vegeta good character moments by just repeating the same thing over and over while avoiding anything that would give the moment any actual weight.

Also, how much energy does Instant Transmission take? This story is starting to make me question any time Goku has incorporated instant transmission into his attack and not keeled over from ki loss.

On the other hand, stuff is actually happening in this chapter so far, so... It's doing much better than most of them.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7755
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:17 pm

louisascommie wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:14 pm
Buu did get stronger post beerus training just never got a chance to use it, besides 1 anime only fight.

And buu is weird so how strong does he get from training no one knows

I think moro will escape and quickly use the dragon balls then beat buy in a 2nd fight

Buu will play a role in more's defeat he will either after losing did some internal training and coming to peace with his two halves of buy and the supreme kia
And then get the power to best moro in a fight

Or more likely and more disappointing just counteract the magic so whoever does defeat moro can do it without worrying about the energy frain.
Buu never trained in the manga, not even in bonus chapters. All the training was in the anime.
Last edited by HeroR on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7755
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:19 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:13 pm
Pretty good chapter, nice to see Goku and Vegeta taking a back seat for once. Also, Vegeta remembering his genocide in the early days was a plot hole that got fixed.

That isn't what plot hole means.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:52 pm
Jesus christ, Moro isn't just incompetent, it's like he's actively refusing to be competent.
It's not that, we're just not competent enough to understand his wisdom. Do you really think us humans who barely reach 80 in most cases will be able to understand the thinking process of a being millions of years old ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6006
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:41 pm

sintzu wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:33 pm
Kanassa wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:52 pm
Jesus christ, Moro isn't just incompetent, it's like he's actively refusing to be competent.
It's not that, we're just not competent enough to understand his wisdom. Do you really think us humans who barely reach 80 in most cases will be able to understand the thinking process of a being millions of years old ?
...Poe's law is hitting me like a bitch.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
Zamasu55
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:50 pm

So, after seeing Ssj Caulifla holding her own against Golden Freeza, Ssj Berserker Kale slaughtering half the fighters during the ToP and then losing to the weakest Pride Troopers, Ssj Kefla losing to Gohan and freaking Muten Roshi dodging freaking Jiren's punches, we have a new low, ladies and gentlemen:

Good Buu, the weakest version of Majin Buu, beating the crap out of somebody who was trading blows with Ssj God Vegeta way before absorbing his ki.

:thumbup:

User avatar
RedHeat
Regular
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by RedHeat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:54 pm

HeroR wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:19 pm
RedHeat wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:13 pm
Pretty good chapter, nice to see Goku and Vegeta taking a back seat for once. Also, Vegeta remembering his genocide in the early days was a plot hole that got fixed.

That isn't what plot hole means.
It's a fault in the story, so it's a hole.
Feels over Reals.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6006
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:04 pm

RedHeat wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:54 pm
HeroR wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:19 pm
RedHeat wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:13 pm
Pretty good chapter, nice to see Goku and Vegeta taking a back seat for once. Also, Vegeta remembering his genocide in the early days was a plot hole that got fixed.

That isn't what plot hole means.
It's a fault in the story, so it's a hole.
A plot hole is to refer to an inconsistency that goes against the story's flow of logic. Vegeta not talking about his genocide is not a plot hole.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:34 pm

TKA wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:20 pm
Another month passes and I still don't care.

This is just a series of fights. No better than those bad Toei movies or video game stories.

Hell, I'd take Xenoverse 1's story over this. Demigra > Moro
I liked this chapter but i agree. Hoping this is the part of the arc where Moro still wins, something crazy happens, and we get to a point where we cant just go after him and fight him again and need to formulate a game plan. This would usually be the part where we get more lore, worldbuilding, character interactions, and plot instead of pure action. And as this is happening, maybe Moro, after getting his full power back, gets his abilities to sense back to the fullest and even senses the Super Dragon Balls therefore making them his next goal for absorption or wishes. Or he could simply just be going around absorbing planets and shit which gives a sense of tension and urgency for the heroes to get back on their feet and go after him again. This is also a good time to introduce Shin and Piccolo and Dende officially into the story.

So basically the equivalent of the times Goku and Vegeta come back from the Future to recover and recuperate in the DBS FT arc. Or the time between Raditz dying and Vegeta and Nappa coming.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
nato25
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1313
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by nato25 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:37 pm

Whats the plot hole exactly? Why wouldn't vegeta be able to remember his actions on Namek?

Loved this chapter. For everyone complaining about Moro, I feel like we're passing judgement too early. We dont know what his wish will be or his overall motivations. Slow reveals are probably better than an info dump like what happened with first form Cell against Piccolo.

My only complaint is if Moro can sense Dragon Balls, why did it take 3 days?

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4359
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:40 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:52 pm
Michsi wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:24 pm
Another interesting aspect I forgot to mention was how Moro seems to be able to sense dragon balls. I hope there's a reason for that and not something thrown in there just to shortcut to Goku's and Vegeta's hideout.
The reason is prob because he can sense magic.
Was that stated ? I mean, it possible, but I hope there's more to it than that. I just found that intriguing and it adds a bit of mystery.

User avatar
TKA
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:51 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:50 pm
So, after seeing Ssj Caulifla holding her own against Golden Freeza, Ssj Berserker Kale slaughtering half the fighters during the ToP and then losing to the weakest Pride Troopers, Ssj Kefla losing to Gohan and freaking Muten Roshi dodging freaking Jiren's punches, we have a new low, ladies and gentlemen:

Good Buu, the weakest version of Majin Buu, beating the crap out of somebody who was trading blows with Ssj God Vegeta way before absorbing his ki.

:thumbup:
Is this a parody? Are you being serious?

Because you removed the context from all of those. If you're being sincere, this post belongs on youtube.

Frieza NEVER fought Caulifla seriously. Kale was losing because every seasoned fighter figured her out because wild animals are stupid. Kafla should lose to Gohan, given the fact that Kale and Caulifla were injured and fatigued when they fused and the fact that Gohan is back to his Buu arc level. Roshi dodged a punch from Jiren when he was holding back because he actively was trying not to kill anyone; the second Jiren saw Roshi dodge him, he simply held back less and then instantly knocked him out. Finally, it was stated that while Moro was fighting Goku and Vegeta he was actively absorbing their ki and powering himself up with the planet's genki.

There are legitimate things to criticize, but this ain't it, chief.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder


http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Batman is out there busting his ass to avenge Goku and you won't even go see him do it?!

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:23 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:20 am

And Goku has done the same to many planets with no damage being talked about, unless we're gonna find out that Frieza was a convenient scapegoat and Goku was the one who accidentally destroyed Namek.
So... What's your point again? That's it's weird that Vegeta should be asking for the planet to be restored to its normal state before Moro invaded? Is this supposed to be OOC? Pretty sure Moro taking energy from the planet itself constitutes a lot more harm to it than busting up some mountains. Especially when we've seen he can literally suck the energy dry from planets beyond anything Goku has ever done with Spirit bomb.

Zamasu55 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:50 pm
So, after seeing Ssj Caulifla holding her own against Golden Freeza, Ssj Berserker Kale slaughtering half the fighters during the ToP and then losing to the weakest Pride Troopers, Ssj Kefla losing to Gohan and freaking Muten Roshi dodging freaking Jiren's punches, we have a new low, ladies and gentlemen:

Good Buu, the weakest version of Majin Buu, beating the crap out of somebody who was trading blows with Ssj God Vegeta way before absorbing his ki.

:thumbup:
Caulifla never stood a chance against Golden Frieza who likes to play with his food.

Kale literally burned through most of her energy before she tackled on the Pride Troopers. This is part of her lore as the LSSJ, where she self-destructs because of her power, and Vegeta mentioned it.

Gohan got significantly stronger. That's how DB operates. He was holding back all the time until he faced Kefla.

Roshi is nothing compared to Jiren. Jiren neck chopped him, which is codeword in DB for lightly tapping someone out when the power difference is enormous.

Buu/Daikaioshin is a counter to Moro. No absorption = no getting stronger for Moro, which is not what happened to Vegeta. He was taking energy from him and Goku right from the start.

Your idea and placement of power levels argument is just wrong here, and you used bad examples.

Post Reply