Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 am

I’m curious how many people out there calling this total trash own or have owned in the past a set of the orange bricks. I know you’re out there somewhere. Now there’s a trash release.

I get it, people are angry because it’s marketed as an anniversary collector’s set and the remastering process they’re using is geared more for a mass release, but everyone’s expectations were unrealistic in the first place. Some people thought broadcast audio would be on here, I mean come on. If this were the mass release and the Levels were the collector’s set I’m sure people would be totally happy with that, that’s probably how it should be, but that went out the window when the orange bricks became the most successful home release of DBZ probably ever. I didn’t buy that garbage, because I saw the widescreen cropping and the missing lines as what it is - total garbage. To this day, I haven’t purchased a single cropped release, DVD or Blu-ray sans the movies which are meant to be 16:9, and those cheap Walmart ‘versus’ discs out of morbid curiosity to finally see how they look on my television. If people didn’t buy those orange bricks in droves, I wouldn’t be over here considering a 4:3 release that looks slightly better than the also cropped season sets a small victory. I’m sorry, but if you bought an orange brick brand new at any point, you helped contribute to get to where we are now. This shouldn’t be a collector’s set, this should be the damn season sets! Unfortunately we’re ten steps back at this point.

Calling your fellow fan ‘stupid’, ‘idiot’, or ‘retarded’ is beyond uncalled for, and like I said if you’re slinging insults while owning a set of orange bricks that you bought brand new, you’re doing it from a glass house.

I will likely only be lurking in this thread if it continues down this course moving forward, but I simply couldn’t without saying my final piece on this matter.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat May 04, 2019 4:50 am

Char Aznable wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 am
I’m curious how many people out there calling this total trash own or have owned in the past a set of the orange bricks. I know you’re out there somewhere. Now there’s a trash release.
The truth is that the Season Sets on DVD, Season Sets on Blu-ray and the Black Brick are all mediocre home releases. Though, I'll say that they all have really nice packaging and sometimes even came with physical booklets. I don't own the Season Sets on DVD but have their booklets as that's well worth a collectible.

Season Sets on DVD eventually had very good picture quality and I'd dare say better than what is on this release but the 16:9 AR cancels it.
Char Aznable wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 am
Calling your fellow fan ‘stupid’, ‘idiot’, or ‘retarded’ is beyond uncalled for, and like I said if you’re slinging insults while owning a set of orange bricks that you bought brand new, you’re doing it from a glass house.
Oh, you think that's bad? That doesn't even come close to what I was called in the Vic Mignogna thread.

Edit

The artwork from this FUNimation DBZ Blu-ray release was used previously by the Spanish distributor (Selecta Visión).


This is the most recycled release I've seen of Dragon Ball Z yet.

HakkaiBills93
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:32 am

Char Aznable wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 am
I’m curious how many people out there calling this total trash own or have owned in the past a set of the orange bricks. I know you’re out there somewhere. Now there’s a trash release.

I get it, people are angry because it’s marketed as an anniversary collector’s set and the remastering process they’re using is geared more for a mass release, but everyone’s expectations were unrealistic in the first place. Some people thought broadcast audio would be on here, I mean come on. If this were the mass release and the Levels were the collector’s set I’m sure people would be totally happy with that, that’s probably how it should be, but that went out the window when the orange bricks became the most successful home release of DBZ probably ever. I didn’t buy that garbage, because I saw the widescreen cropping and the missing lines as what it is - total garbage. To this day, I haven’t purchased a single cropped release, DVD or Blu-ray sans the movies which are meant to be 16:9, and those cheap Walmart ‘versus’ discs out of morbid curiosity to finally see how they look on my television. If people didn’t buy those orange bricks in droves, I wouldn’t be over here considering a 4:3 release that looks slightly better than the also cropped season sets a small victory. I’m sorry, but if you bought an orange brick brand new at any point, you helped contribute to get to where we are now. This shouldn’t be a collector’s set, this should be the damn season sets! Unfortunately we’re ten steps back at this point.

Calling your fellow fan ‘stupid’, ‘idiot’, or ‘retarded’ is beyond uncalled for, and like I said if you’re slinging insults while owning a set of orange bricks that you bought brand new, you’re doing it from a glass house.

I will likely only be lurking in this thread if it continues down this course moving forward, but I simply couldn’t without saying my final piece on this matter.
i never own this kind of release, i only got french dbox to have the more uncut french dub that they never released before (some episodes part wasn't even aired) and i did it like 10-11 years ago at a time where colors matter wasn't even known...what you are missing is that lot of people didn't even known color issues back in time, so it is something that can be forgiven and understood, when i first see kanzenshuu years ago i never heard about color correction, degrade etc, thoses color alterations, film degrade etc was pointed here few years ago. about audios , all dubs from the season sets are already in the new one without new audio feature that's why it's worst, i can understand someone buying a release for the audios, but now all thoses audios are already released , recent extra announcement make me more thinking the truth (it's the season sets masters but in 4/3) so a big lie once again.

So before it was totally understandble to get the release for a dub matter or if you didn't know color things but nowadays i'll not trust that someone with social network and all color issues pointed by reputated people like ajay or others aren't known from people and people smart enough know that buying crap only lead to crap so no it's not forgivable. I read people here allways claiming that not buying the release will lead to stop any kind of release, how can i not called thoses guys retarded?

- How many people claim that broadcast audios will be used in this release cause sabat will give them to funi ?
will it have BA? - NO
- Funi make a 16/9 VS 4/3 poll back in time, 4/3 win and how was the release? 16/9 , why? cause staff wanted to
Dragon Ball is a very benefit licence and funimation very well know about it, if they know why people don't buy level sets, they'll also know why people didn't wanted this new one and they will have two choices : or they'll release what we want, or they'll let the licence go and someone other will do it
- smart people know that if you buy crap, you'll have crap, a company is not your friend that want to make you having pleasure, as long as you buy what they show you, you'll get low cost things. it's logical only retarded brains can't understand that

User avatar
jaisonas
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by jaisonas » Sat May 04, 2019 8:42 am

KBABZ wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:25 pm
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:57 pm
You know when the image is upscaled/blown up to 1080p the grain is actually rather obnoxious and bothersome. And for context I am referencing the images of Goku/Nappa/Krillin above.
The trick is though that when its in motion, it's much less annoying. It's similar to looking at something through window blinds: if you keep your head still, you see more of the blinds, but if you move your head up and down, you can concentrate on the scenery behind the window. Similar idea with grain: at a certain point it goes from "millions of flecks on the screen" to just noise, and you can see the underlying picture beneath it all.
They're not upscaled though, they are taken from the level sets.
Also known as "[EncoderAnon] and his shitty HxH encode"

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3219
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:26 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 am
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:40 pm
Some screenshot comparisons from the new screenshots. I'm doing youtube vs youtube
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/EF01NNNU
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/GKWGNNNX
What do you use to download YouTube videos? Please tell me it's not thru some website because that's one of the worst ways possible.

Use YouTube-DL, IDM or JD2 but the first option is definitely the best.

It's because the Level Sets' Vegeta Smashing the Scouter screenshot looks highly compressed and I've seen that YouTube isn't even that bad.
Defintly will use those.

User avatar
TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sat May 04, 2019 11:02 am

Char Aznable wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 am
I’m curious how many people out there calling this total trash own or have owned in the past a set of the orange bricks. I know you’re out there somewhere. Now there’s a trash release.
To be fair to those guys, by 2007, the singles were off store shelves, with the Orange Bricks being the only widely available release for a lot people. Many fans believed that the Orange Bricks would be the ONLY way to get the series in North America. Hell, as far as the English-speaking market goes, it was the first time you could watch the late Saiyan arc and early Namek arc uncut and in Japanese. With the 2013 Blu-ray, however, there's definitely less of an excuse.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3686
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Sat May 04, 2019 3:30 pm

jaisonas wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:42 am
KBABZ wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:25 pm
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:57 pm
You know when the image is upscaled/blown up to 1080p the grain is actually rather obnoxious and bothersome. And for context I am referencing the images of Goku/Nappa/Krillin above.
The trick is though that when its in motion, it's much less annoying. It's similar to looking at something through window blinds: if you keep your head still, you see more of the blinds, but if you move your head up and down, you can concentrate on the scenery behind the window. Similar idea with grain: at a certain point it goes from "millions of flecks on the screen" to just noise, and you can see the underlying picture beneath it all.
They're not upscaled though, they are taken from the level sets.
What does upscaling have to do with what I was talking about??

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Welp, the pre-order period ends tomorrow. They haven't given any updates since the original blog post so I will assume the end product will look like their screenshots. It sure would be disappointing if they did make improvements and didn't say anything about them. That would be the ultimate cherry on top honestly.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat May 04, 2019 4:13 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 pm
Welp, the pre-order period ends tomorrow. They haven't given any updates since the original blog post so I will assume the end product will look like their screenshots. It sure would be disappointing if they did make improvements and didn't say anything about them. That would be the ultimate cherry on top honestly.
You assume right. They shared more samples of it on the newer trailer they released.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat May 04, 2019 4:54 pm

Here's a very in depth video regarding the set and the general history of the series on home video here, it was definitely an interesting watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spii3SOhi0Y

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:35 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:13 pm
Forte224 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 pm
Welp, the pre-order period ends tomorrow. They haven't given any updates since the original blog post so I will assume the end product will look like their screenshots. It sure would be disappointing if they did make improvements and didn't say anything about them. That would be the ultimate cherry on top honestly.
You assume right. They shared more samples of it on the newer trailer they released.
Well yeah but I assume that trailer was already made weeks ago. I was still holding out some hope that we would receive a second blog post detailing changes to the set, but I cannot imagine they would do that after the pre-order period is over.

As a side note, the fact that the trailer is using the 4:3 image from this new set is perhaps a mild positive that FUNimation thinks of it as the default aspect ratio now? Maybe? 2025 4:3 4K release hype (not really)!!!!

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 455
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Sat May 04, 2019 8:11 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:35 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:13 pm
Forte224 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 pm
Welp, the pre-order period ends tomorrow. They haven't given any updates since the original blog post so I will assume the end product will look like their screenshots. It sure would be disappointing if they did make improvements and didn't say anything about them. That would be the ultimate cherry on top honestly.
You assume right. They shared more samples of it on the newer trailer they released.
Well yeah but I assume that trailer was already made weeks ago. I was still holding out some hope that we would receive a second blog post detailing changes to the set, but I cannot imagine they would do that after the pre-order period is over.

As a side note, the fact that the trailer is using the 4:3 image from this new set is perhaps a mild positive that FUNimation thinks of it as the default aspect ratio now? Maybe? 2025 4:3 4K release hype (not really)!!!!
If that’s the case, then I consider this a victory. It was hard enough clawing back 4:3 after FUNi kept pumping out affordable 16:9 releases. If their streaming versions were completely replaced too, that would make me so happy.

User avatar
jaisonas
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by jaisonas » Sat May 04, 2019 8:16 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:30 pm
jaisonas wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:42 am
KBABZ wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:25 pm

The trick is though that when its in motion, it's much less annoying. It's similar to looking at something through window blinds: if you keep your head still, you see more of the blinds, but if you move your head up and down, you can concentrate on the scenery behind the window. Similar idea with grain: at a certain point it goes from "millions of flecks on the screen" to just noise, and you can see the underlying picture beneath it all.
They're not upscaled though, they are taken from the level sets.
What does upscaling have to do with what I was talking about??
I wanted to quote the guy you were quoting but i clicked on your post instead of his :shifty:
Also known as "[EncoderAnon] and his shitty HxH encode"

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3686
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Sat May 04, 2019 8:20 pm

jaisonas wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:16 pm
I wanted to quote the guy you were quoting but i clicked on your post instead of his :shifty:
Oops! Haha, no worries.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16326
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 05, 2019 8:14 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:50 am
Oh, you think that's bad? That doesn't even come close to what I was called in the Vic Mignogna thread.
When your entire post history is comprised of barely-readable posts that hardly ever actually say anything, and then you go on to parrot incredibly dangerous rhetoric about real-life situations, maybe the problem isn't everyone else. You are and have been a problem, and you have been told this.

(No, obviously there shouldn't be calls of "retard" being flung around over a goddamn Blu-ray set.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SquadronGOD
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:22 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SquadronGOD » Sun May 05, 2019 5:46 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 am
I’m curious how many people out there calling this total trash own or have owned in the past a set of the orange bricks. I know you’re out there somewhere. Now there’s a trash release.

I get it, people are angry because it’s marketed as an anniversary collector’s set and the remastering process they’re using is geared more for a mass release, but everyone’s expectations were unrealistic in the first place. Some people thought broadcast audio would be on here, I mean come on. If this were the mass release and the Levels were the collector’s set I’m sure people would be totally happy with that, that’s probably how it should be, but that went out the window when the orange bricks became the most successful home release of DBZ probably ever. I didn’t buy that garbage, because I saw the widescreen cropping and the missing lines as what it is - total garbage. To this day, I haven’t purchased a single cropped release, DVD or Blu-ray sans the movies which are meant to be 16:9, and those cheap Walmart ‘versus’ discs out of morbid curiosity to finally see how they look on my television. If people didn’t buy those orange bricks in droves, I wouldn’t be over here considering a 4:3 release that looks slightly better than the also cropped season sets a small victory. I’m sorry, but if you bought an orange brick brand new at any point, you helped contribute to get to where we are now. This shouldn’t be a collector’s set, this should be the damn season sets! Unfortunately we’re ten steps back at this point.

Calling your fellow fan ‘stupid’, ‘idiot’, or ‘retarded’ is beyond uncalled for, and like I said if you’re slinging insults while owning a set of orange bricks that you bought brand new, you’re doing it from a glass house.

I will likely only be lurking in this thread if it continues down this course moving forward, but I simply couldn’t without saying my final piece on this matter.
I had the orange bricks. I have the dragon boxes. If it's not up to that quality... well then its poop.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6347
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sangofe » Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 am

So Funimation hasn't stopped the possibility of pre ordering even though the counter is at 0... So they lie with that, too.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:24 am

sangofe wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 am
So Funimation hasn't stopped the possibility of pre ordering even though the counter is at 0... So they lie with that, too.
The counter isn't at 0 it's at 1461. The pre-order period officially ends at 11:59 PM PST, which is about 2 and a half hours from now.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6347
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sangofe » Mon May 06, 2019 1:46 am

Forte224 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:24 am
sangofe wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 am
So Funimation hasn't stopped the possibility of pre ordering even though the counter is at 0... So they lie with that, too.
The counter isn't at 0 it's at 1461. The pre-order period officially ends at 11:59 PM PST, which is about 2 and a half hours from now.
Oh yeah?
Edit, fuck it, my image isn't working. Here's the link :
Fourth try to share this...
https://ibb.co/jGCpZCK

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:52 am

sangofe wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:46 am
Forte224 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:24 am
sangofe wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 am
So Funimation hasn't stopped the possibility of pre ordering even though the counter is at 0... So they lie with that, too.
The counter isn't at 0 it's at 1461. The pre-order period officially ends at 11:59 PM PST, which is about 2 and a half hours from now.
Oh yeah?
Edit, fuck it, my image isn't working. Here's the link :
Fourth try to share this...
https://ibb.co/jGCpZCK
The link isn't working either. Either way, here's a screenshot I took literally just now.
Image

EDIT: Oh, that counter. No, that is still going too. Trying clearing the cookies on your browser. FUNi's site is buggy and clearing cookies usually fixes it.
Image

Post Reply