Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3681
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Mon May 13, 2019 10:13 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 pm
I'm curious because I don't own a 4k TV but when I was at a friends house he had on ''Lonesome Dove'' (Yes, I'm a redneck so Git!) lol but it looked awful to me. it made it look like a soap opera! So how does the Dragonboxes look? surely it's gotta be different for a cartoon vs a movie or tv series? I haven't gotten an HD tv since they first started coming out so I have no idea lol
As another user said, that sounds like your friend has TruMotion or Motion Smoothing turned on. What that does is that the TV generates extra frames from the incoming picture to fake a higher frame rate. It's on the level of cropping to widescreen because it COMPLETELY tarnishes the vision of the creators.

User avatar
samuraix123
I Live Here
Posts: 3643
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by samuraix123 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:24 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:13 pm
samuraix123 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 pm
I'm curious because I don't own a 4k TV but when I was at a friends house he had on ''Lonesome Dove'' (Yes, I'm a redneck so Git!) lol but it looked awful to me. it made it look like a soap opera! So how does the Dragonboxes look? surely it's gotta be different for a cartoon vs a movie or tv series? I haven't gotten an HD tv since they first started coming out so I have no idea lol
As another user said, that sounds like your friend has TruMotion or Motion Smoothing turned on. What that does is that the TV generates extra frames from the incoming picture to fake a higher frame rate. It's on the level of cropping to widescreen because it COMPLETELY tarnishes the vision of the creators.
Yeah it looked God Awful! I wouldn't be surprised either if it was an elcheapo lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue May 14, 2019 4:35 am

The point is that people who buy it that will enjoy it and not regret it, Tyler and Babz. Stop being so desperate.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3681
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 14, 2019 5:02 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:35 am
The point is that people who buy it that will enjoy it and not regret it, Tyler and Babz. Stop being so desperate.
I wasn't being "desperate", I just find it odd that you feel the need to consistently re-iterate your viewpoint not just at the slimmest oppurtunity, but for seemingly no reason. It's not that I disagree, I just find it bizarre that you choose to do that all the time when everyone in the room knows it already.

User avatar
PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue May 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Tylerman29 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 pm
bigray wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:29 pm
You said it pretty well... Unless you're a collector just buy the dragon boxes. If this collection doubled in price what would you buy? $700 DNR Blu rays or $600 dragon boxes?

I'm a collector so I'm getting both. But I couldn't imagine anyone paying more than the Dragon box price
I WISH the dragon boxes were $600...they are mostly over a $1000..which I don't think is anywhere NEAR worth it for non-HD content for anything..they wouldn't look too hot on a modern 4k TV either ..they are showing their age whether the elitists will admit it or not.
I mean I got my set about a year ago for like $650, I'm beginning to think I either got lucky or the prices have gotten way worse since then.
Avid Star Wars, Dragon Ball, and DC Fan.

Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Tournament of Power 8. 21st Budōkai 9. Broly 10. Battle of Gods 11. Boo 12. U6 Tournament 13. Freeza 14. Red Ribbon Army 15. Artificial Humans/Cell 16.Golden Freeza

Star Wars Rankings: 1. ROTS 2. TLJ 3. RO 4. TESB 5. ROTJ 6. ANH 7. TFA 8. SOLO 9. TPM 10. AOTC

DCEU Rankings: 1. WW 2. AQM 3. BVS 4. JL 5. MOS 6. SS
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

bigray
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by bigray » Tue May 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Tylerman29 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 pm
bigray wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:29 pm
You said it pretty well... Unless you're a collector just buy the dragon boxes. If this collection doubled in price what would you buy? $700 DNR Blu rays or $600 dragon boxes?

I'm a collector so I'm getting both. But I couldn't imagine anyone paying more than the Dragon box price
I WISH the dragon boxes were $600...they are mostly over a $1000..which I don't think is anywhere NEAR worth it for non-HD content for anything..they wouldn't look too hot on a modern 4k TV either ..they are showing their age whether the elitists will admit it or not.
$600 is the standard price. 2 people in the last month or so have sold them for that price on this website and another guy listed his for $800... No one is paying $1000 for these.

You're forgetting that HD doesn't mean quality. Who cares if it's HD when you get better image details and over all anime feel with a DVD? Showing their age is a good thing. Because it was made in that age. Why would you change something to look more modern when it isn't modern.

You're not gonna go get old black and white photos of your grandparents and run them through a processor to look HD?

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3681
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 14, 2019 11:25 pm

bigray wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:44 pm
You're forgetting that HD doesn't mean quality. Who cares if it's HD when you get better image details and over all anime feel with a DVD? Showing their age is a good thing. Because it was made in that age. Why would you change something to look more modern when it isn't modern.

You're not gonna go get old black and white photos of your grandparents and run them through a processor to look HD?
I mean... yeah sometimes. Old west photos can look stunning when scanned in correctly. The problem is when, for example, digital shows rendered in SD are dossied up to look better in HD (Waifu for example). A good scan of DBZ with the right treatment CAN look brilliant, as the Level sets, 32mm Kai and Amazon movies show us. It's when they're messed with regarding removing grain that actively removed detail, and when the colours are screwed with to be not what they're supposed to, that it crosses the line for many, including me. I don't really relate to the "anime feel" with DVD, because you could arguably extend that to VHS tapes which came before DVDs.

For me at least, there's a big difference between presenting the original show as best it can be (Levels, Amazon Movies), and making the show feel more modern (Kai TFC, Orange Bricks).

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1448
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue May 14, 2019 11:53 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:14 pm

SHOCKING interview about the sets! https://youtu.be/hAx1FUaKe0c

(Disclaimer: Actually a dumb meme. :P )
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

User avatar
Tylerman29
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 am

bigray wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:44 pm


$600 is the standard price. 2 people in the last month or so have sold them for that price on this website and another guy listed his for $800... No one is paying $1000 for these.

You're forgetting that HD doesn't mean quality. Who cares if it's HD when you get better image details and over all anime feel with a DVD? Showing their age is a good thing. Because it was made in that age. Why would you change something to look more modern when it isn't modern.

You're not gonna go get old black and white photos of your grandparents and run them through a processor to look HD?
$600 ISN'T the standard price...check the completed sold listings on ebay..consistantly selling between $950-$1500. A couple of rare instances on these forums does not mean anything.

The level sets pretty much shit all over whatever notion you have of "HD not meaning quality". The Kai blu-rays and level sets are perfect examples of how this show can look good in HD if done correctly. Putting something on a modern format doesn't mean the content is made modern..it's just presented in higher resolution..which isn't a negative. Old films look spectacular in 4K because the higher resolution improves the image..your argument makes no sense whatsoever. If you prefer your shit to look like ass because it looked like ass when it came out due to the format limits of the time, then that's your hill to die on.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2620
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:04 am

Tylerman29 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 am
$600 ISN'T the standard price...check the completed sold listings on ebay..consistantly selling between $950-$1500. A couple of rare instances on these forums does not mean anything.
It kind of does. It's the typical thing you get with this kind of purchase; if you just go on eBay and go for the first listing you see, you're gonna pay a lot more than someone more sensible, who takes their time with it would pay.

Especially right now, with the 30th anniversary set going around, and tons of people buying and selling DBoxes for the buzz, for a lack of hope for better releases, for a "fuck it, I'm doing it" attitude on both sides...

Prices will probably fall back down in a few months, and within that time, a reasonable listing or two may pop up.
PremiumSalt wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:28 pm
I mean I got my set about a year ago for like $650, I'm beginning to think I either got lucky or the prices have gotten way worse since then.
It's both, really. Prices are worse now, but they'll probably go back down. TBH, expecting every listing to be $600-650 would be crazy, you got quite lucky, but the discerning people who are willing to keep their eyes out may find a listing as cheap as $700-750, maybe less if you get lucky and hold out long enough.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
Bryesque
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:39 am
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Bryesque » Wed May 15, 2019 7:48 am

Tylerman29 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:51 pm
Bryesque wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:44 pm
I've bragged... er, said as much in the Purchases thread before, but we managed to find boxes 5, 6, and 7 at a pawn shop for $8 a pop a few years back. Recently found box 2 for around $35. Both times we just got extremely lucky, but... it's always possible!
This kinda makes me want them less :lol: That's almost like winning the lottery.
Ha! :lol: It absolutely was - I still can't believe it. For boxes 5, 6, and 7 they had them priced the same as the orange box sets. The original owners and/or the pawn & thrift stores might not know exactly what they have, or that there's a difference between releases of a particular show, and just sell it the same as any other boxed set. I definitely lucked out, but you never know what you'll find if you check around somewhat regularly!

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2815
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by coola » Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 am

I dont wanna create new topic, as it is still about 30th anniversary set.

Would you be willing to pay over 800$, if it had similar picture quality to The Legend of the Galactic Heroes and it also have Broadcast Audio? (I havent watched series myself, but i heard some fans aren't please, that it is only physical release available) https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/produc ... um-box-set
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sintzu » Wed May 15, 2019 11:33 am

coola wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 am
Would you be willing to pay over 800$, if it had similar picture quality to The Legend of the Galactic Heroes and it also have Broadcast Audio ?
No. I understand fans want the best quality for a series they love and rightfully so, but anything close to 800$ is just unacceptable. Batman the animated series got a respsectable remastered set that included 109 episodes and 2 movies for 70$ on Amazon. Based on that, anything above 200$ for Z is too much (unless it's a collector's set with extras).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2620
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:10 pm

sintzu wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:33 am
coola wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 am
Would you be willing to pay over 800$, if it had similar picture quality to The Legend of the Galactic Heroes and it also have Broadcast Audio ?
No. I understand fans want the best quality for a series they love and rightfully so, but anything close to 800$ is just unacceptable. Batman the animated series got a respsectable remastered set that included 109 episodes and 2 movies for 70$ on Amazon. Based on that, anything above 200$ for Z is too much (unless it's a collector's set with extras).
Though Batman hasn't had five different releases in the past 15 years, three of which are nominally in HD.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sintzu » Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:10 pm
sintzu wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:33 am
coola wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 am
Would you be willing to pay over 800$, if it had similar picture quality to The Legend of the Galactic Heroes and it also have Broadcast Audio ?
No. I understand fans want the best quality for a series they love and rightfully so, but anything close to 800$ is just unacceptable. Batman the animated series got a respsectable remastered set that included 109 episodes and 2 movies for 70$ on Amazon. Based on that, anything above 200$ for Z is too much (unless it's a collector's set with extras).
Though Batman hasn't had five different releases in the past 15 years, three of which are nominally in HD.
You can blame the fanbase for that as they keep buying the same thing over and over again, only to want another release that fixes the previous release's issues. The reason we haven't and won't get a perfect version is because once that happens they won't be able to milk it anymore.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2620
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:21 pm

sintzu wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 pm
Robo4900 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:10 pm
sintzu wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:33 am


No. I understand fans want the best quality for a series they love and rightfully so, but anything close to 800$ is just unacceptable. Batman the animated series got a respsectable remastered set that included 109 episodes and 2 movies for 70$ on Amazon. Based on that, anything above 200$ for Z is too much (unless it's a collector's set with extras).
Though Batman hasn't had five different releases in the past 15 years, three of which are nominally in HD.
You can blame the fanbase for that as they keep buying the same thing over and over again, only to want another release that fixes the previous release's issues. The reason we haven't and won't get a perfect version is because once that happens they won't be able to milk it anymore.
If WB had done the same for Batman, people would have bought it up all the same. You can't blame the fans, because the problem isn't with the fans, it's with the casual buyer who simply doesn't know, and doesn't much care. Whether the release was good or bad, the casual buyer would have bought it, because they just want to buy the show.
The problems with these releases only really bother the fans, and the fans are really not the majority of the sales of most such releases. Not even close.

Funi isn't catering to some mystical, large portion of fans who are idiots and will buy whatever because they're an obsessive collector who'll buy whatever Funi craps out (though such people are why the 30th anniversary set didn't fail, and yet they couldn't even fill out the full 6000 preorders, which by all accounts should have happened within days of the preorders being open), they're catering to the casual buyer and throwing shit in the faces of the fans because they know they can get away with it. That's what's happening.

And now Funi have saturated their own market; the casual buyer already can buy the Season DVDs and BDs, so why would they buy a new set?
And the more hardcore fans already have the DBoxes and will take nothing less than the Levels standard.
This 30th anniversary set could have got around this issue by finally getting it right, and it'd have likely been the last release we'll ever get aside from potentially a budget mass-market version of the same thing a few years down the line.

Instead, this set was purely targeted at the people who'll buy every release, and the casual fans who somehow haven't picked up the show before and have $350 to throw at an ugly box with a stupid art book and a crappy statue.
And because it was so cheap to produce, they'll have made money on this.

Maybe one day they'll put out a release worthy of what this 30th anniversary release should have been. It'll be for the fans, it'll be in limited numbers, and it'll finally get it right. But it'd be the last release the show ever sees, and with Funi trying every effort to just wring every last dollar out of their gullible casual and buy-everything audiences, I don't see this happening.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sintzu » Wed May 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:21 pm
If WB had done the same for Batman, people would have bought it up all the same.
This is a good point. Overall WB and DC have done a better job with the Batman brand than Funimation and Toei have with DB. The animated series (and other parts of the brand) is definitely popular enough to milk but they haven't done that...yet.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2620
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 pm

sintzu wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:29 pm
Robo4900 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:21 pm
If WB had done the same for Batman, people would have bought it up all the same.
This is a good point. Overall WB and DC have done a better job with the Batman brand than Funimation and Toei have with DB. The animated series (and other parts of the brand) is definitely popular enough to milk but they haven't done that...yet.
Yes. Because the Batman brand is well-managed, at least as far as the animated series is concerned.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1561
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 15, 2019 12:36 pm

sintzu wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:33 am
No. I understand fans want the best quality for a series they love and rightfully so, but anything close to 800$ is just unacceptable. Batman the animated series got a respsectable remastered set that included 109 episodes and 2 movies for 70$ on Amazon. Based on that, anything above 200$ for Z is too much (unless it's a collector's set with extras).
I agree, if Batman TAS can be purchased for exponentially less on Blu-Ray than DBZ on DVD that's a problem, especially when the latter's only respectable remaster isn't even commercially available. If the orange bricks just had the same level of care given to them as the singles the Dragon Boxes wouldn't be pedestalized so much because it wouldn't be so hard to get a release that preserves the series as it was intended with colours that weren't blown into oblivion, which should be a minimum standard anyway. Funimation clearly only wants to make incremental improvements on each release so that there's a reason for them to milk the series again, and fans are starting to catch on to that. I wouldn't be surprised if their 2025 "Remastered in Ultra HD" release also sees diminishing returns compared to previous pre-orders of the series.
Trying to pitch Rock The Dragon to Manga UK

User avatar
Tylerman29
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:04 am


It kind of does. It's the typical thing you get with this kind of purchase; if you just go on eBay and go for the first listing you see, you're gonna pay a lot more than someone more sensible, who takes their time with it would pay.

Especially right now, with the 30th anniversary set going around, and tons of people buying and selling DBoxes for the buzz, for a lack of hope for better releases, for a "fuck it, I'm doing it" attitude on both sides...

Prices will probably fall back down in a few months, and within that time, a reasonable listing or two may pop up.
The prices have been that way since the beginning of the year, long before this set was announced (I went back through the listing history). This is a trend not just the first listing that pops up. I disagree, I think the prices will hover around here for the foreseeable future, now that the 30th set is likely to be the last thing we get from Funi for a while in regards to DBZ series proper( the "fuck it" and hopeless attitude will probably stick around and fester for a while), outside of some miracle new remastered blu-ray license from Toei.

I'm getting this set now that orders are being processed, so I'm just gunna maybe pick up a cheap dbox if I come across one, for the hell of it( idk around $80 for a single?). If the dboxes had broadcast audio I would have no qualms about spending that kind of money. But for me...the picture quality I've seen from them isn't worth paying double the 30th set (and that's the low end price). At the end of the day its worth what ever the price people are willing to pay, I guess to me it just isn't worth what everyone else seems to think it is.

Post Reply