Is Goku and ChiChi's marriage turning out terrible a gag?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

Is Goku and ChiChi's marriage turning out terrible a gag?

Post by Tavarano » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:19 am

Same style as Yamcha turning out to be a cheater when he gets a chance to fulfill his marriage dream, normally you would expect characters fullfilling childhood romantic promises to have a happy ending so it would be a subversion of that.
Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Goku and ChiChi's marriage turning out terrible a gag?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:52 am

Can we stop with these one note “Is (this thing) bad?” It’s only to rile people up.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:00 am

I love you dbzfan94.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:57 am

Tavarano wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:19 am normally you would expect characters fullfilling childhood romantic promises to have a happy ending so it would be a subversion of that.
Chichi and Goku’s relationship was always a gag.

Chichi knew nothing of romance other than what she read in her teen magazines.

Chichi thought she had to become Goku’s bride because he kicked her in the crotch

Chichi asked Goku to make her his bride and he agreed because he thought it was food.

Goku agreed to it because a promise is a promise (no matter how much the Funimation dub tried to pass it off as genuine affection for her).

It was always a joke. There was no childhood romantic promise being fulfilled because Goku had no idea what he was agreeing to and barely understood the concept of marriage just before he “proposed”

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:57 am
Tavarano wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:19 am normally you would expect characters fullfilling childhood romantic promises to have a happy ending so it would be a subversion of that.

Chichi thought she had to become Goku’s bride because he kicked her in the crotch

Chichi asked Goku to make her his bride and he agreed because he thought it was food.

Goku agreed to it because a promise is a promise (no matter how much the Funimation dub tried to pass it off as genuine affection for her).

It was always a joke. There was no childhood romantic promise being fulfilled because Goku had no idea what he was agreeing to and barely understood the concept of marriage just before he “proposed”
Yeah the way it played out in the series is very joke like with how ridiculous the way in which she came to that idea, and even funnier still is how Goku didn't even realize what he was agreeing too. Once they meet again with battling in the 23rd Budokai he has absolutely no recollection of what Chi Chi is talking about until she flat out tells him who she is and he puts two and two together, then Krillin even has to explain to him what marriage is because he thought it was a kind of food.

And yes, FUNi re wrote quite a lot or almost the entire part of that scene where Goku agrees to based on that promise he made to marry her as a kid for the DB dub, because that's simply just what their reversioning mindset of the time back in the early 2000's was. I assume that change was done there because they didn't want Goku to seem as totally clueless and absent minded with those things as the Japanese version was so it got heavily altered to where he starts spouting poetry and romantic stuff that was never there to begin with. Watch both versions of that scene and you'll see how entirely different they are in just about every way.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Although I have always is interesting debate the relationships of the characters, perhaps it should have been done in other existing themes, it is unnecessary create another.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:57 am

mmm .. yes ... basically
if that is bad or it is not a other thing ... but I would say that the other relationships in the series were handled better