DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5300
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:47 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:59 pm
sintzu wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:47 pm
Tai Lung wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:42 pm
We are exaggerating too much zamasu arc, TOP arc, BoG arc are original
BOG is original, the most and probably only original thing we'll get out of this revival.

The Zamasu arc is basically the Cell arc as both have 2 villains messing up Trunks' timeline and he has to go back in time to get help from the past.

The TOP is just random character designs with the same exact personality fighting U7. It wasn't something that they did before but it wasn't good either. The problem is that it was the kind of arc that required years of build up to work and they didn't want to spend the time.
If we're gonna play that game, then basically every arc since the Piccolo Daimao arc has ripped off that arc in one form or another, most commonly the "Goku is removed from the plot for some contrived reason to create tension" trope. I guess Z is pretty unoriginal too then, huh?
By that logic, the Buu saga ripped off the Cell saga, because Gero created Cell and then Bibidi created Buu.
See how weak that 'argument' is? You're grasping at straws and its not helping your point.

User avatar
Kuwabara
Regular
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 am

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:08 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:55 pm
He did writing for the worst season of Voltron Legendary Defender which is saying something about how incompetent he is at writing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_V ... r_episodes
Didn't know that! I've been meaning to watch Netflix Voltron but haven't gotten around to it yet.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20898
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:47 pm
PremiumSalt wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:59 pm
sintzu wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:47 pm


BOG is original, the most and probably only original thing we'll get out of this revival.

The Zamasu arc is basically the Cell arc as both have 2 villains messing up Trunks' timeline and he has to go back in time to get help from the past.

The TOP is just random character designs with the same exact personality fighting U7. It wasn't something that they did before but it wasn't good either. The problem is that it was the kind of arc that required years of build up to work and they didn't want to spend the time.
If we're gonna play that game, then basically every arc since the Piccolo Daimao arc has ripped off that arc in one form or another, most commonly the "Goku is removed from the plot for some contrived reason to create tension" trope. I guess Z is pretty unoriginal too then, huh?
By that logic, the Buu saga ripped off the Cell saga, because Gero created Cell and then Bibidi created Buu.
See how weak that 'argument' is? You're grasping at straws and its not helping your point.
Dragon Ball copying story beats -- something it has been doing since the 1980s -- for it's own previous story arcs is by no means a good or bad thing. It all depends on how you can take that identical narrative context and manage to produce a good story.

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:20 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:34 pm
The problem with Future Trunks saga is where lies most of the missed opportunities. Damn, how can we deal with an evil god and not even a mention about Makaio and Makaioshin? The theme of that saga was man x god. Trunks spent his whole freaking saga yelling to god not to underestimate the humans. If god had to fuse using his godly method, shouldn't man fuse using his own resources? Gogeta x Zamasu would have been perfect, thematically speaking. The human fusion x the god fusion. But if human had to rely on god's method, then c'mon... Since we got Vegetto once, let Vegeta and Trunks fuse then. Goku would still be their to fulfill his role as the protagonist. Nope, let us active the safe zone card and bring Vegetto back, and that's not all, let's screw the character!
Obviously I do not say that everything is perfect .... but of that, we only had frieza and broly is something else ..

about the Makaioshin I think it will be a matter of personal taste ... at least I'm not so interested in the world of demons besides that it would be more difficult to address in the zamasu arc where the themes of the multiverse and timeline were being played.
I used the "mafuba" which is a technique created by humans to defeat a god so I used that type of resources although I agree that your perspective of using a gogeta for that reason is interesting.


I think another fusion would feel ... very "fanservice" if vegito "again" is too ... but with trunks it would be more forced in mi opinion.
Grimlock wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:34 pm
And then there is the whole "time travelling is prohibited" thing, which for some odd reason, Jaco (related to the subject) is conveniently nowhere to be seen and Trunks once again gets away with his crime. Not even a certain deity of time appears nor is mentioned. They preferred to make Trunks living with himself... I don't even have words for that, but let's just say it is indeed the worst ending in the history of the worst endings.
I believe that the dangers of traveling through time were demonstrated ...
tunks lost everything loved ... saying that he got his way is ... quite wrong I think it's quite a punishment having to live on a timeline that does not belong to him.
Grimlock wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:34 pm
Tournaments are tournaments, there isn't and there'll never be something new. Universe Survival saga had potential, you're dealing with a multiversal tournament where the unthinkable can happen... Or we can just and simply reach the end, everything is return back to normal and we move on with our lives as if nothing happened. :roll: Oh, who is the victorious Universe in both tournaments? Hm... That's a difficult one to guess... :think:
It was a tournament completely different from the usual ... you know would happen at the end? yes but did not know how it would develop
as, I mentioned ... new styles of fighting, skills, interactions and team work is what made this tournament especially interesting

User avatar
PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:53 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:47 pm
PremiumSalt wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:59 pm
sintzu wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:47 pm


BOG is original, the most and probably only original thing we'll get out of this revival.

The Zamasu arc is basically the Cell arc as both have 2 villains messing up Trunks' timeline and he has to go back in time to get help from the past.

The TOP is just random character designs with the same exact personality fighting U7. It wasn't something that they did before but it wasn't good either. The problem is that it was the kind of arc that required years of build up to work and they didn't want to spend the time.
If we're gonna play that game, then basically every arc since the Piccolo Daimao arc has ripped off that arc in one form or another, most commonly the "Goku is removed from the plot for some contrived reason to create tension" trope. I guess Z is pretty unoriginal too then, huh?
By that logic, the Buu saga ripped off the Cell saga, because Gero created Cell and then Bibidi created Buu.
See how weak that 'argument' is? You're grasping at straws and its not helping your point.
How am I grasping at straws? My point is that Dragon Ball has never been a particularly original series to begin with in terms of every arc being completely different from the last. Being formulaic is the series' bread and butter, and if that's something that bothers you, find a different show/manga to watch/read. People harp on Super for having the same problems that they conveniently ignore in DB and DBZ.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Tournament of Power 8. 21st Budōkai 9. Broly 10. Battle of Gods 11. Boo 12. U6 Tournament 13. Freeza 14. Red Ribbon Army 15. Artificial Humans/Cell 16.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17398
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:55 pm

It started falling into formula later, but early on, it was usually switching things up on a regular basis.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:47 pm
PremiumSalt wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:59 pm
sintzu wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:47 pm


BOG is original, the most and probably only original thing we'll get out of this revival.

The Zamasu arc is basically the Cell arc as both have 2 villains messing up Trunks' timeline and he has to go back in time to get help from the past.

The TOP is just random character designs with the same exact personality fighting U7. It wasn't something that they did before but it wasn't good either. The problem is that it was the kind of arc that required years of build up to work and they didn't want to spend the time.
If we're gonna play that game, then basically every arc since the Piccolo Daimao arc has ripped off that arc in one form or another, most commonly the "Goku is removed from the plot for some contrived reason to create tension" trope. I guess Z is pretty unoriginal too then, huh?
By that logic, the Buu saga ripped off the Cell saga, because Gero created Cell and then Bibidi created Buu.
See how weak that 'argument' is? You're grasping at straws and its not helping your point.
the idea is that ... they are seeing it very superficially
it's as if I say DBZ is the typical villain of turn / monster of week while DB OG was more varied in its content with adventures, tournaments and battles, I have reason? a little but it would be like ignoring all the content they had both ... good or bad.

User avatar
SSJGAffleck
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm
Location: PE, Canada
Contact:

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by SSJGAffleck » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:53 pm

I don't know how to tell you this... It is a cartoon series...
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

User avatar
Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Gligarman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:53 pm
I don't know how to tell you this... It is a cartoon series...
YES! Thank you!!!!!

Also, for those who are in favor of Dragon Ball being made into an American cartoon just realize that you forfeit your right to complain about Dragon Ball lacking innovation and creativity. Dragon Ball doesn't need to be "fixed." It's great just the way it is, hence this forum's existence.

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:59 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:53 pm
I don't know how to tell you this... It is a cartoon series...
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:29 pm

I believe what the OP is asking is whether or not a Dragon Ball series could work using the style of American animation.
I do not think it's that hard to understand if others could understand it

Brodes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:41 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Brodes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:42 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:18 pm
Gaffer Tape wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:05 pm
[quote="Cure Dragon 255" post_id=1605502 time

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
I can't speak to Ben 10, but Avatar's storytelling, character development, and combat is head and shoulders so much better than Dragon Ball's it's almost unfair to compare them.
Last edited by Brodes on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:41 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Brodes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:15 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:18 pm
Gaffer Tape wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:05 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:27 pm


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh you were serious...

Let me laugh harder.

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
I can't speak to Ben 10, but Avatar's storytelling, character development, and combat is head and shoulders so much better than Dragon Ball's it's almost unfair to compare them.
I love you Gaffer Tape but I thought you of ALL people would know better than to just put a franchise into some overrated writers hands and expect quality. Sure, Ben 10 had the late Dwayne McDuffie who had the herculean task of making Ben 10 more mature and palatable and ACTUALLY SUCCEEDING, creating a Billion dollar franchise. But Bryke? Lauren Montgomery? Joaquim Dos Santos? Their writing is the plague incarnatel. To be avoided at all costs. Sorry but I doubt they'd do Dragon Ball Justice. You and other may not like how Dragon Ball is right now but I thought you of all people would know better.

Maybe Kunzait is the one. The one knows better than to just drop a franchise into some writers lap and expect quality.
Ah, so this is just ranting from the bitter Voltron Legendary Defender fan? And how are 'Bryke' plague incarnate writing wise?

Not that I really think it's something that's needed. A no filler, newly animated from the ground up of all 42 manga volumes series, sure. But a Western style remake just isn't needed.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:45 am

Gligarman wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 pm
Dragon Ball doesn't need to be "fixed." It's great just the way it is, hence this forum's existence.
This isn't about DB needing improvement but rather seeing how it can be done under completely different visions.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:41 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Brodes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:32 am

sintzu wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:45 am
Gligarman wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 pm
Dragon Ball doesn't need to be "fixed." It's great just the way it is, hence this forum's existence.
This isn't about DB needing improvement but rather seeing how it can be done under completely different visions.
But what does that even achieve when the original product is so strongly it's own thing? It's not like when, say, the various 80s properties that were made to sell toys are revived and suddenly allowed to be good.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:42 am

Brodes wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:32 am
What does that even achieve when the original product is so strongly it's own thing?
It doesn't need to happen as the original is indeed more than strong on its own but like others have said, it's an interesting idea.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:41 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Brodes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:53 am

sintzu wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:42 am
Brodes wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:32 am
What does that even achieve when the original product is so strongly it's own thing?
It doesn't need to happen as the original is indeed more than strong on its own but like others have said, it's an interesting idea.
Something that I think would be interesting would be to see movies and such done like the illustrations that are on the main sight from a few years back. They were other artists interpreting Dragon Ball through their own style, there was on by Oda, one by Kubo, etc,. Just let them go nuts for an hour or whatever. Tell existing stories in a new way, or new stories. It could be great.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5300
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:51 am

Brodes wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:53 am
sintzu wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:42 am
Brodes wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:32 am
What does that even achieve when the original product is so strongly it's own thing?
It doesn't need to happen as the original is indeed more than strong on its own but like others have said, it's an interesting idea.
Something that I think would be interesting would be to see movies and such done like the illustrations that are on the main sight from a few years back. They were other artists interpreting Dragon Ball through their own style, there was on by Oda, one by Kubo, etc,. Just let them go nuts for an hour or whatever. Tell existing stories in a new way, or new stories. It could be great.
Half of Dragon Balls charm is Toriyamas art style. Take that away and it’s not the same story.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:43 pm

Brodes wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:15 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:18 pm
Gaffer Tape wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:05 pm


I can't speak to Ben 10, but Avatar's storytelling, character development, and combat is head and shoulders so much better than Dragon Ball's it's almost unfair to compare them.
I love you Gaffer Tape but I thought you of ALL people would know better than to just put a franchise into some overrated writers hands and expect quality. Sure, Ben 10 had the late Dwayne McDuffie who had the herculean task of making Ben 10 more mature and palatable and ACTUALLY SUCCEEDING, creating a Billion dollar franchise. But Bryke? Lauren Montgomery? Joaquim Dos Santos? Their writing is the plague incarnatel. To be avoided at all costs. Sorry but I doubt they'd do Dragon Ball Justice. You and other may not like how Dragon Ball is right now but I thought you of all people would know better.

Maybe Kunzait is the one. The one knows better than to just drop a franchise into some writers lap and expect quality.
Ah, so this is just ranting from the bitter Voltron Legendary Defender fan? And how are 'Bryke' plague incarnate writing wise?

Not that I really think it's something that's needed. A no filler, newly animated from the ground up of all 42 manga volumes series, sure. But a Western style remake just isn't needed.
Dont you dare call me a fan of that shit show. I dont care about the LBGT fiasco or that they killed that Allura chick. But from day one I could see the flaws and I was never impressed at all with that show.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Gligarman » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:43 pm

sintzu wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:45 am
Gligarman wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 pm
Dragon Ball doesn't need to be "fixed." It's great just the way it is, hence this forum's existence.
This isn't about DB needing improvement but rather seeing how it can be done under completely different visions.
The title of the thread is asking if it could work and my answer is no, it couldn't. We've seen what happens when people other than Toriyama get full creative writing freedom with Dragon Ball. We get stuff like all of the movies prior to Battle of Gods which mostly just retreaded stories from the manga, GT which went way off the rails, or even the English dub which attempted to turn Dragon Ball into a show for pre-preschoolers. Even if the creative staff of Ben 10 or Avatar or any other shows of the sort made a DB series we'd still get a toned-down kids show with none of the blood, violence, vulgarity, or any of that Toriyama charm that made DB stand out in the first place.

Look at the new Voltron. Sure, it's witty and the characters are well written but it's still toned down a kids show with none of the violence of the original series, Beast King Go Lion. I'd rather see those creative teams make something entirely new rather than remake yet another 80's anime.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17398
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:07 pm

I don't think the violence is the heart of the matter, nor is it the vulgarity. Remember, DB is a kids' show. The true charm is how it blends a lot of different genres, mixes it with Toriyama's sense of humor and subverts expectations. While Muten Roshi a perv is part of what subverts the trope of the wise old martial arts master, he's also lazy and not very serious much of the time. That's the essence of DB, not the trappings of violence and sex jokes. If you downplay them, DB is still DB.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Post Reply