Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:49 pm

You know the funniest thing about this? The fake outrage is making #ISWV look bad even to a lot of the folks that agreed with them about Vic.

https://mobile.twitter.com/stillgray/st ... 6545903617

A lot of the folks in there are saying stuff along the lines of:

"So what, are voice actors not allowed to make dirty jokes in private? F***ing cancel culture..."
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:21 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:49 pm You know the funniest thing about this? The fake outrage is making #ISWV look bad even to a lot of the folks that agreed with them about Vic.

"So what, are voice actors not allowed to make dirty jokes in private? F***ing cancel culture..."
Actually, most of the people in the comments seem to essentially be going “GASP What a bunch of hypocrites! How dare they they!!” I hardly see anyone who’s calling out ISWV for this, which only serves to make me lose even more faith in humanity.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:24 pm

At this point, anyone with an anime avatar on Twitter is 97% likely to be a drag on society at large.

Terez excluded.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:05 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:21 pm Actually, most of the people in the comments seem to essentially be going “GASP What a bunch of hypocrites! How dare they they!!” I hardly see anyone who’s calling out ISWV for this, which only serves to make me lose even more faith in humanity.
Eh, I'd say it's about...70-30, maybe? At the very least, I've seen a streak of like, 3+ comments in a row saying like...

"Ok, if some guy made dirty jokes while pretending to be Ronald McDonald, that doesn't mean McDonalds could sue that particular facility"

"Who cares?"

"I literally could not care less, [Heaven] forbid anyone ever have fun or goof off. If they weren't doing this on Toei's dime nobody should give a ****."

"Your fake outrage is noted"

"It was just something recorded for private consumption, then some a**hole leaked it."

"****ing cancel culture"

And etc. I mean, there's a lot of clearly #ISWV people in there, too, but... Judging by some of the responses, there are some clearly right-wing people who think this is stupid, too. It struck me just how hilariously ironic that was.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:45 pm

One thing I've gotten from all this is just...how little these people know about the history of Dragon Ball, Nick Reketia included. It's like they've seen nothing but Kamehacon drama.

"Hey, it looks like Toei is really strict with their IP! Let's see if we can find Funimation messing around with it!"

"Hey, people say that Sean Schemmel is an ass because he said stupid things on twitter! Let's see if we can find something that makes him look bad!"

Whereas anybody who's followed any sort of fandom drama from anything earlier than last year wouldn't be surprised and wouldn't start being outraged by it.

No mentions of, say, Funimation being cheap with video quality. Or ignoring fan feedback. Or making stuff up for dub scripts with no basis other than they felt like it. Or replacing the entire soundtrack because they wanted to save money. That's the actual stuff that fans would be justified in being upset at Funimation about, but these drama peddlers don't know about any of it. Almost like they're not actually long-time Dragon Ball fans or something...
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:07 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:45 pm One thing I've gotten from all this is just...how little these people know about the history of Dragon Ball, Nick Reketia included. It's like they've seen nothing but Kamehacon drama.
Almost like they're not actually long-time Dragon Ball fans or something...
Bingo. This has been clear from the beginning. None of these people are fans, they never have been, and they never will be. It’s just more right-leaning internet drama fake outrage crap.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:22 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:49 pm You know the funniest thing about this? The fake outrage is making #ISWV look bad even to a lot of the folks that agreed with them about Vic.

When I clicked on this, I misread and assumed even Ian Miles Cheong called out ISWV on their bullshit.

I should've expected better.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:39 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:24 pm At this point, anyone with an anime avatar on Twitter is 97% likely to be a drag on society at large.

Terez excluded.
My avatar is me from my leaving card in Toriyama's art style and coloured to look like the Full Colours. Does... that count?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:56 pm

I hope this recent fiasco is an indication that this stupid lawsuit is coming to an end soon, and that the reason Rekieta is throwing everything but the kitchen sink at anyone who dared cross Vic is because they’re losing the case. It’s absolutely absurd seeing the depths these people will go to in order to “avenge” a guy who does voices for dubs of Japanese cartoons. Seriously, these people are trying to sink an entire company through potentially illegal means just because someone was fired?

If there’s one thing I’ve taken away from this drama, it’s that the anime fandom is quite possibly the worst in existence. I didn’t care much for anime to begin with, but now I almost feel inclined to boycott the existence of any cartoon or comic that’s from Japan. I’m not going to do that, but it sure does seem enticing right now.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:00 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:56 pm If there’s one thing I’ve taken away from this drama, it’s that the anime fandom is quite possibly the worst in existence.
The Kpop fandom would like to have a word with you...
One World. 🌐 🕊

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:35 pm

Hey, let's not diss the anime fandom, now. I mean... we're on Kanzenshuu, after all...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:49 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:35 pm Hey, let's not diss the anime fandom, now. I mean... we're on Kanzenshuu, after all...
Sadly Kanzenshuu isn't representative of the majority of anime fans.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:04 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:35 pm Hey, let's not diss the anime fandom, now. I mean... we're on Kanzenshuu, after all...
It’s extremely difficult not to at this point. These people are lunatics. Sure, every fandom is full of nuts, but to go to such lengths to “protect” the name of a goddamn voice actor who hadn’t even been that prominent at FUNimation lately? It’s absolutely ridiculous. I wasn’t even really on board the KickVic side, and I actually found Rial and Marchi’s behavior to be unprofessional, but at this point, I really hope Mignogna and his legal team get utterly humiliated in court.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:27 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:04 pm It’s extremely difficult not to at this point. These people are lunatics. Sure, every fandom is full of nuts, but to go to such lengths to “protect” the name of a goddamn voice actor who hadn’t even been that prominent at FUNimation lately? It’s absolutely ridiculous. I wasn’t even really on board the KickVic side, and I actually found Rial and Marchi’s behavior to be unprofessional, but at this point, I really hope Mignogna and his legal team get utterly humiliated in court.
I just think it's going to be the same for any community on Earth. There's always going to be the crazies, the nice ones, and then the 80% who just wanna live their lives. Even as I search #Funimation on Twitter, I see what feels to me like a 50-50 split on people's attitudes.

This whole thing isn't an indictment on Anime. It's an indictment on humans in general.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:42 pm

For what it's worth, the word faggot was being thrown around casually in my middle school as late as 2010. It's not unreasonable to me that it could still be used as a joke 10 years before that. Anybody using that term now would probably have everyone against them.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:23 pm

And now for something with some actual relevance to the case: Voice Actor Brett Weaver Responds to Mignogna, Mari Iijima Photos
Ushio & Tora voice actor Brett Weaver issued a comment to Anime News Network after photos posted on Twitter appeared to dispute his previous statements that he prevented fellow voice actor Vic Mignogna from sitting next to Macross voice actress Mari Iijima at her request at Tekkoshocon 2007.

Regarding the above photos, Weaver commented to ANN, “I have seen those pictures. I am at a loss. I know that Mari [Iijima] asked me for help, and I remember saying a brief thing to Vic. I even spoke to my wife about it and she remembers me talking about it on that day. It was 12 years ago. I know I helped, but I guess I misremembered about where we sat. I am trying to remember if we had more than one panel. This was one of those situations where it wasn't really a big thing, so it hasn't really sat in the forefront of my mind.”
Multiple former staff members of Tekkoshokon told Anime News Network that Iijima had experienced harassment by Mignogna during the Tekkoshokon 2007 and 2010 conventions.

Jim Gogal, who was the was President of the Board of Tekkoshocon Inc. and Chief Executive Officer in 2010 told ANN that Iijima's room was moved once during the 2010 event. According to Gogal, “She had reported to me that Mignogna had been calling her room and showed up there at one point. She was moved to a different room inside the same hotel. This room was booked under a different name to prevent any future incidents. Iijima was also given extra security afterwards.” Gogal said Iijima remained in her new room for the duration of the event.

Gogal also stated, “Mignogna and Iijima's schedules were specifically made so they would not encounter each other at her [Iijima's] request. This was because, as she relayed to me, his past behavior and harassment to her.”
I'm aware Brett Weaver wasn't involved with the TCPA -- if memory serves, I believe Jim Gogal came forward with this story for that, although the above quotes were given to ANN -- but with the tsunami of anecdotes and accusations, I'm not surprised there's discrepancies with at least one.

Not that it matters to the actual lawsuit, but for the sake of transparency, I thought I'd share.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:15 pm

Isn't Kiwi Farms (the guys who hacked and got ahold of the files) pretty much a criminal website at this point? I've never heard anything good about them.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm pretty sure they always were, but the law is terribly behind on everything relating to the internet.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:47 pm

yeah kiwi farms basically doxxes people when ever they think it'd funny. it's probably one of the worst places on the internet.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:50 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:15 pm Isn't Kiwi Farms (the guys who hacked and got ahold of the files) pretty much a criminal website at this point? I've never heard anything good about them.
Absolutely. Doxxing is basically a synonym for "stalking", the way it involves finding and publishing people's public & private addresses.