Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2052
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:32 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:24 pm
It was clear all the way back in February that his time as Broly was finished. The only question at this point is: who is FUNimation going to use from here on out?
With each passing day, we'll be getting closer and closer to finding out probably. I can't imagine they recorded for the Super version of Broly in FighterZ THAT far in advance, so whenever that DLC character finally comes out, we'll either know for sure or at least be able to start making guesses based on the sound of the voice.

Though to be fair I guess, even that won't tell us 100%, since there have been cases where someone is cast in a more stop-gap measure for a game only to be replaced when the show itself reached that character. Like how Hit was voiced by Aaron Roberts in Xenoverse 2, and it wasn't particularly liked, so by the time we got the character in the show and FighterZ, he was replaced with Matt Mercer.
That’s going to be a little awkward, since he already voices the original Broly in that game. What if there are new DLC’s involving old Broly?

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:21 am
Location: Queens, New York, USA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by G1Ravage » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:17 am
I was wholly on board with you until the Hispanic thing. It doesnt need to be in the post and it undermines you as a source of understanding between races.
So you're cool with de-legitimizing the lived experiences of American minorities such as black men? He's speaking his truth.

People of all ethnic backgrounds can be horrible people, even if it's only "socially acceptable" to trash "cishet white men" on message boards.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3544
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:34 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:19 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:32 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:24 pm
It was clear all the way back in February that his time as Broly was finished. The only question at this point is: who is FUNimation going to use from here on out?
With each passing day, we'll be getting closer and closer to finding out probably. I can't imagine they recorded for the Super version of Broly in FighterZ THAT far in advance, so whenever that DLC character finally comes out, we'll either know for sure or at least be able to start making guesses based on the sound of the voice.

Though to be fair I guess, even that won't tell us 100%, since there have been cases where someone is cast in a more stop-gap measure for a game only to be replaced when the show itself reached that character. Like how Hit was voiced by Aaron Roberts in Xenoverse 2, and it wasn't particularly liked, so by the time we got the character in the show and FighterZ, he was replaced with Matt Mercer.
That’s going to be a little awkward, since he already voices the original Broly in that game. What if there are new DLC’s involving old Broly?
It's like you said, it'll be a little awkward, no way around it. They're definitely not going to re-hire Vic, though.

It'll probably be like the game where Chris Ayres debuted as Freeza (although I forget which game off the top of my head). At the time that the game first started production, it was assumed by all involved--including FUNimation themselves--that Linda Young was going to continue voicing Freeza, and she came in for a few sessions for both Kai and the new game. When the decision was made to replace her, Chris Ayres re-recorded all of her dialogue for Kai, but not for the game. So, some of Freeza's lines are voiced by her...and then at one point, the dialogue switches to Chris's voice without explanation.

Here's what I'm talking about.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3566
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:46 pm

G1Ravage wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:32 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:17 am
I was wholly on board with you until the Hispanic thing. It doesnt need to be in the post and it undermines you as a source of understanding between races.
So you're cool with de-legitimizing the lived experiences of American minorities such as black men? He's speaking his truth.

People of all ethnic backgrounds can be horrible people, even if it's only "socially acceptable" to trash "cishet white men" on message boards.
It undermines his point that is all. I love White People, Black People, Hispanic People. He shouldnt put that when trying to speak for peace between races.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2052
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:00 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:34 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:19 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:32 pm


With each passing day, we'll be getting closer and closer to finding out probably. I can't imagine they recorded for the Super version of Broly in FighterZ THAT far in advance, so whenever that DLC character finally comes out, we'll either know for sure or at least be able to start making guesses based on the sound of the voice.

Though to be fair I guess, even that won't tell us 100%, since there have been cases where someone is cast in a more stop-gap measure for a game only to be replaced when the show itself reached that character. Like how Hit was voiced by Aaron Roberts in Xenoverse 2, and it wasn't particularly liked, so by the time we got the character in the show and FighterZ, he was replaced with Matt Mercer.
That’s going to be a little awkward, since he already voices the original Broly in that game. What if there are new DLC’s involving old Broly?
It's like you said, it'll be a little awkward, no way around it. They're definitely not going to re-hire Vic, though.

It'll probably be like the game where Chris Ayres debuted as Freeza (although I forget which game off the top of my head). At the time that the game first started production, it was assumed by all involved--including FUNimation themselves--that Linda Young was going to continue voicing Freeza, and she came in for a few sessions for both Kai and the new game. When the decision was made to replace her, Chris Ayres re-recorded all of her dialogue for Kai, but not for the game. So, some of Freeza's lines are voiced by her...and then at one point, the dialogue switches to Chris's voice without explanation.

Here's what I'm talking about.
A bit of a correction, but that wasn’t actually Chris Ayres’ video game debut. He had already voiced Freeza in Tenkaichi Tag Team and Raging Blast 2. In the case of UT, the reason Freeza’s voice swapped between Linda Young and Chris Ayers was because a lot of his voice clips were reused from the first Raging Blast game. Linda Young didn’t actually record anything for UT, since that game was released in 2011, which was over a year after Freeza was recast.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3544
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:03 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:00 pm
A bit of a correction, but that wasn’t actually Chris Ayres’ video game debut. He had already voiced Freeza in Tenkaichi Tag Team and Raging Blast 2. in the case of UT, the reason Freeza’s voice swapped between Linda Young and Chris Ayers was because a lot of his voice clips were reused from the first Raging Blast game. Linda Young didn’t actually record anything for UT.
Ah, gotcha. My mistake!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:58 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:00 pm
A bit of a correction, but that wasn’t actually Chris Ayres’ video game debut. He had already voiced Freeza in Tenkaichi Tag Team and Raging Blast 2. In the case of UT, the reason Freeza’s voice swapped between Linda Young and Chris Ayers was because a lot of his voice clips were reused from the first Raging Blast game. Linda Young didn’t actually record anything for UT, since that game was released in 2011, which was over a year after Freeza was recast.
And the devs putting together the English voice track didn't think it was weird to have an inconsistent dub track for Frieza by 2 actors who sound NOTHING alike?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:47 pm

Some updates:

1. Screech confirmed Vic's given the okay on an appeal. Let the marveling of Vic's stupidity begin.

2. In case anyone was still giving KamehaCon the benefit of doubt, Dominique Skye -- a cosplayer relentlessly hounded by Vic stans for the crime of "being outspoken against Vic" -- shared her, ahem, "flattering" encounters with owner Chris Slatosch.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3993
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:45 pm

I'm a freelance guide writer for IGN so I'm in a somewhat comparable situation as Vic regarding how he was hired. I don't work with IGN or as IGN, I work for IGN. If a scandal hypothetically came out about me, IGN is well within their rights to not contract me for future work, just like Funi with Vic.

And yes contract work is very much the norm for VO. For example, James Arnold Taylor, as pivotal as his role is for Ratchet in R&C, was never a direct employee of Insomniac Games and it wouldn't make sense to give him an annual salary like that when he's ultimately only needed for a few days.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:32 pm
With each passing day, we'll be getting closer and closer to finding out probably. I can't imagine they recorded for the Super version of Broly in FighterZ THAT far in advance, so whenever that DLC character finally comes out, we'll either know for sure or at least be able to start making guesses based on the sound of the voice.
As mentioned earlier, that'll be interesting considering Vic had already done the VO (calling it "dialogue" is overselling it a bit) for Classic Broly. But you never know, Funi could have known about Super Broly's inclusion as DLC quite far in advance and included it in the VO sessions for the movie.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:46 pm
It undermines his point that is all. I love White People, Black People, Hispanic People. He shouldnt put that when trying to speak for peace between races.
Her point. Not that I disagree with yours.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3566
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Oops! I'm sorry! I didnt mean to misgender anyone!
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8751
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:47 pm
1. Screech confirmed Vic's given the okay on an appeal. Let the marveling of Vic's stupidity begin.
...I'm just in utter awe at the moment that Vic is that stupid. This should be over (and very likely still is, right?), but to just refuse to give up and stick your head this far into the dirt is...astounding, really.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3544
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:55 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:45 pm
I'm a freelance guide writer for IGN so I'm in a somewhat comparable situation as Vic regarding how he was hired. I don't work with IGN or as IGN, I work for IGN. If a scandal hypothetically came out about me, IGN is well within their rights to not contract me for future work, just like Funi with Vic.

And yes contract work is very much the norm for VO. For example, James Arnold Taylor, as pivotal as his role is for Ratchet in R&C, was never a direct employee of Insomniac Games and it wouldn't make sense to give him an annual salary like that when he's ultimately only needed for a few days.
Well, slight note on this. You're absolutely right for the most part. However, technically, if the production in question is a union production--which it absolutely was in the case of R&C, given James Arnold Taylor's involvement--then the actors who are hired are indeed considered employees. They are not necessarily considered employees of the producers they're working with, but rather, they're considered employees of whoever it was that signed an agreement with the union (called a "signatory" if we want to get technical).

Quite often, production companies will hire third-party companies to act as signatories. This is especially common with companies that want the option of doing union or non-union projects on a case-by-case basis. Bang-Zoom Entertainment is one such example. They do both union and non-union dubs, and whenever they want to do a union dub, they will hire a signatory company called Unforseen Productions to oversee that all union-related aspects of the project are taken care of (and indeed, all of the checks I've gotten from the Bang-Zoom jobs I've worked on have that company's name at the top). The production company is still ultimately the one paying the money and making all of the creative decisions, but they won't pay the actors directly. Rather, they will pay the signatory, who will then pay the actors.

That's one of the benefits of being a union actor: through occasionally complicated paperwork trails, they are treated as employees rather than independent contractors, which affords them much more protections and the ability to (potentially, if they make enough money through union acting jobs) qualify for health insurance and a pension.

That is, of course, only applicable to union productions. Non-union productions--which is, sadly, the norm for VO these days--do indeed classify their actors as independent contractors. Since FUNimation pretty much exclusively did non-union dubs with only the super-rare exception here and there, that's what Vic was classified as.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2052
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:58 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:00 pm
A bit of a correction, but that wasn’t actually Chris Ayres’ video game debut. He had already voiced Freeza in Tenkaichi Tag Team and Raging Blast 2. In the case of UT, the reason Freeza’s voice swapped between Linda Young and Chris Ayers was because a lot of his voice clips were reused from the first Raging Blast game. Linda Young didn’t actually record anything for UT, since that game was released in 2011, which was over a year after Freeza was recast.
And the devs putting together the English voice track didn't think it was weird to have an inconsistent dub track for Frieza by 2 actors who sound NOTHING alike?
They obviously didn’t care. The game was rushed anyway, and came out at a time when people had long stopped caring about Dragon Ball games. It wasn’t until Xenoverse when interest in the gaming side of Dragon Ball was revitalized.

User avatar
Zinnia
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:23 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Zinnia » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:05 am

https://twitter.com/bmtrocks/status/1184986519725072384
Sabo's voice actor has been officially changed to Johnny Yong Bosch. Good riddance, vicnogna

Broly is next.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3993
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:28 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:43 pm
...I'm just in utter awe at the moment that Vic is that stupid. This should be over (and very likely still is, right?), but to just refuse to give up and stick your head this far into the dirt is...astounding, really.
Considering Vic hasn't been attending these court proceedings, it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't even that aware of the status of his case.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3993
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:32 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:55 pm
Well, slight note on this. You're absolutely right for the most part. However, technically, if the production in question is a union production--which it absolutely was in the case of R&C, given James Arnold Taylor's involvement--then the actors who are hired are indeed considered employees. They are not necessarily considered employees of the producers they're working with, but rather, they're considered employees of whoever it was that signed an agreement with the union (called a "signatory" if we want to get technical).

Quite often, production companies will hire third-party companies to act as signatories. This is especially common with companies that want the option of doing union or non-union projects on a case-by-case basis. Bang-Zoom Entertainment is one such example. They do both union and non-union dubs, and whenever they want to do a union dub, they will hire a signatory company called Unforseen Productions to oversee that all union-related aspects of the project are taken care of (and indeed, all of the checks I've gotten from the Bang-Zoom jobs I've worked on have that company's name at the top). The production company is still ultimately the one paying the money and making all of the creative decisions, but they won't pay the actors directly. Rather, they will pay the signatory, who will then pay the actors.

That's one of the benefits of being a union actor: through occasionally complicated paperwork trails, they are treated as employees rather than independent contractors, which affords them much more protections and the ability to (potentially, if they make enough money through union acting jobs) qualify for health insurance and a pension.

That is, of course, only applicable to union productions. Non-union productions--which is, sadly, the norm for VO these days--do indeed classify their actors as independent contractors. Since FUNimation pretty much exclusively did non-union dubs with only the super-rare exception here and there, that's what Vic was classified as.
Thanks for the info! Totally forgot about this factor. I feel it's also worth noting that, since Funimation often uses the same VOs for a lot of their work, their is a sort of familial relationship among them since they've worked together so often, as noted by Rial recently. Adds an interesting facet, I feel.

User avatar
Fionordequester
I Live Here
Posts: 2610
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:32 am

KBABZ wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:28 am
Considering Vic hasn't been attending these court proceedings, it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't even that aware of the status of his case.
I feel like it's an "out of sight, out of mind" type deal for him. Kind of like when I tried to tell him what Kiwi Farms was doing on Twitter, and got no response. Also the reason he seems to distance himself from his own case as much as possible. Dude doesn't want to hear anything but good news, basically.

Actually, it seems that was the deal with the 2nd lawyer. The first one turned him down outright, but the second one didn't. The thought is that she just wasn't giving him the lip service he wanted about his odds. So, he flocks to Nick when he starts promising the world.
Last edited by Fionordequester on Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3993
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:35 am

Fionordequester wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:32 am
Kind of like when I tried to tell him what Kiwi Farms was doing on Twitter, and got no response.
To be fair, you'd be lucky to get a response from many high-profile people on Twitter.

User avatar
Fionordequester
I Live Here
Posts: 2610
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:37 am

KBABZ wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:35 am
To be fair, you'd be lucky to get a response from many high-profile people on Twitter.
I suppose. Maybe I'm just spoiled by guys & gals like Monica Rial & Chris Sabat. Those guys're actually pretty rad about that sort of thing.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

User avatar
8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2652
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:05 am

Johnny Yong Bosch is the new Sabo, eh? He'll do fine.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Post Reply