"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

BWri
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 764
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 1:56 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by BWri » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:24 pm

Michsi wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:40 am

He didn't allow it - it happened faster than he expected and he witnessing something that made him freeze.
How do you figure that? He watched Cell drain the guy. Cell didn't drain the guy faster than light speed. He could've interrupted at any time ... but he didn't.
When he has a plan in mind the story tells us what it is, this one was just for shock effect to let us know how horrible Cell was.

The point is Piccolo just looked on as Cell absorbed a random guy and did nothing to stop him. Remember when Gero was in the middle of destroying the city? Despite like 70% being destroyed, Goku still dashed over and punched Gero mid rampage. Piccolo did not do that. I always took that to mean he was looking for an advantage and trying to feel Cell out a bit more before engaging him.
The Boo Saga example I mentioned because he had a moment to think and come to a decision - one that he struggled with- and in the end it was for nothing. (Also no, Dende and the others were alive while he was in the RoSAT)
Yeah, you're right. I forgot Dende didn't disappear until after Buu escaped the time chamber.
It's the same thing as when he sacrificed his life for Gohan. He knew that his death meant the death of Kami and therefore no more dragon balls so Gohan and co. could've been brought back, but his instinctual fear of Gohan getting killed at all prompted him to act before he thought.

Back then, he didn't know that there were other threats beyond Vegeta and Nappa. In this case, he knows that the thugs here on Earth are just harbingers for a much bigger threat, one that even Goku, Vegeta, and Buu can't seem to defeat. He also knows that the Namekians were all wiped out. Why would be risk Dende's survival in this scenario. The situations aren't even compareable really. In terms of personal relationships, Piccolo has no real connection with Jaco other than being comrades briefly during the fight with Frieza. His connection with Dende, however, is arguably as strong, if not stronger than his connection to Gohan.
He is now at a place where this same instinctual response can be extended to characters that he isn't that close with. That's a sign he's more compassionate. Hence him also being against killing the three Macaronis.
Yes, but it's still out of character for him to sacrifice Dende's safety to protect Jaco. That's not compassion, that's just stupidity. It also doesn't come off as character growth, because certain of his character traits were ignored for him to make the decisions the way he did. I do believe Piccolo is much more compassionate now than he's ever been, but he's never been this foolish.
BWri wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:49 am
Not really. It still bought some time, likely a few extra minutes for the boys. He instantly regretted it, but really, what else was he to do? Buu would've probably just killed everyone on the lookout anyway then eventually wipeout humanity. The hope would be that he doesn't decide to destroy the lookout, because there goes Goten and Trunks with it. I mean, he could've tried luring him away to fight somewhere else, but realistically the fight wouldn't have lasted long and Buu wouldn't be interested anyway.
Not it didn't. That was the point of that scene, the futility of that decision. And it might've been a lesson for him as well - to maybe not immediately jump to making the hardhearted decisions as they rarely pay off.
The point of the scene was to show that Buu was smarter than Piccolo believed him to be and also to shock us, the readers. And that last interpretation from your quote above is just one you and a few others have latched unto. I don't follow that interpretation at all and don't really believe it's there. If that "lesson" was actually intended, don't you think Goku and Vegeta would have found a way to save Piccolo and the boys later on? But no, they had to make the hard decision to leave them there so that they could survive to fight Buu again. So yes, Piccolo's decision, despite not being as effective as he immediately planned, still bought the boys a few minutes, maybe even an hour depending on how long it actually took Buu to scan the planet and fire his attack. It was still an effective tactic and cements Piccolo as a pragmatic thinker. Same as Goku and Vegeta later in the arc.
Again, what he did was humane and right and I would've far more disappointed in his characterization being written as someone that sees someone falling to their death and he just lets it happen.
There's nothing humane about letting his family and friends die, I'm sorry. Especially when it's to "save" someone he knows is strong enough to go toe to toe with large groups of Frieza soldiers. So, I'm more concerned with him losing his warrior's edge and his brilliant mind to become a blithering idiot.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1247
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:13 am

TKA wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:07 pm
Tai Lung wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:37 pm
TKA wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:26 pm
Why would you assume the manga is referencing the anime when no such statement was ever given by anyone?.

Give me an argument for why I should throw out the idea that a story is consistent and congruent only with what it presents and instead embrace that Toyotaro would try to invalidate his own work by referencing the anime.
because the author has to do with both anime and manga
Merus explains that to recreate the situation he have to have a fight to the death with goku
Image
the same that ... 0:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tPmadKxSmk
it is not the first time that happen, again vegeta and cabba talk about the SSJ Legendary and only in one version does it make sense

Miracles wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:06 pm
In the second scene Goku was STILL threatened. It doesn't matter if Jiren and Goku briefly were not fighting, the situation [external factor] of life and death of U7's potential erasure is still in vogue.

I never said they couldn't fuse in the TOP, did I? I simply told you that bringing up Broly's situation is meaningless to this discussion.
At least now you understand my point
It has to do with it ... at least if you want to show that only the situation is important even though there were no fights at that time ...
The opportunities and danger were basically the same with broly but there was no UI so the situation doesn't matter ... what matters is the external power of the opponent this

examples
{Scanlation removed by Moderator.}
this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irSoaOXhbGw

this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJqYHcetXc8
Yeah, sorry bud, but none of this is compelling enough evidence to convince me that Toyotaro is discrediting his own work to prop up the anime.

My reading of it aside, Rebel Instinct a few pages back very clearly and thoroughly explained it on a level the typical DB operates on. Nothing is contradicted.

My reading of it, however, says that most of you are taking things too literally and just don’t know much about stories. No writer is going to have a character say:

“Man, to achieve Ultra Instinct you’re going to have to use the culmination of everything you learned in the past, be put in a do or die situation, have a still heart not tainted by fury.”

That’s clunky, expositional dialogue that tells the audience what we already know. That will never be how this story is told.
It has been contradicted before ...
Cabba doesn't know anything about Super Saiyan ... then he talks about the legendary Saiyan as if he knew him just because the mention was also in the anime ...

no, ... you can't blame the reader in this case if they say something first and then they invent something last minute ...
if 2 months ago someone you asks someone how goku got the UI will he tell you something totally different from what was seen in the anime now they will tell you that it is similar in its method ...

Why if do we all read the same? we didn't have this discussion ...
I think they are trying to justify this ... that it was always there but I already explained why it does not match ... and obviously it was not planned

it may not be necessary to say everything textually but something so important that the ultra instinct is supposed to be ... there should be no confusion

that is the series had characters that can do it ... but merus a character out of nowhere says it much later

now if the problem is going to be ... the readers simply everybody pretend that I have not said anything and case fixed

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:09 am

BWri wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:24 pm
Michsi wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:40 am

He didn't allow it - it happened faster than he expected and he witnessing something that made him freeze.
How do you figure that? He watched Cell drain the guy. Cell didn't drain the guy faster than light speed. He could've interrupted at any time ... but he didn't.


It's the same thing as the fighters watching someone power up or transform and not interfering. It's supposed to happen faster than it's depicted since Toriyama takes time to highlight everyone's shock to witnessing it. Same ting here. Beside, in order to drain someone Cell needed to stab them first and that is what happened faster.

The point is Piccolo just looked on as Cell absorbed a random guy and did nothing to stop him. Remember when Gero was in the middle of destroying the city? Despite like 70% being destroyed, Goku still dashed over and punched Gero mid rampage. Piccolo did not do that. I always took that to mean he was looking for an advantage and trying to feel Cell out a bit more before engaging him.

Again, the guy was already dead by the time Cell started draining him and his reaction to seeing what it was doing clearly indicated he was too shocked and horrified to respond.
Back then, he didn't know that there were other threats beyond Vegeta and Nappa. In this case, he knows that the thugs here on Earth are just harbingers for a much bigger threat, one that even Goku, Vegeta, and Buu can't seem to defeat. He also knows that the Namekians were all wiped out. Why would be risk Dende's survival in this scenario. The situations aren't even compareable really. In terms of personal relationships, Piccolo has no real connection with Jaco other than being comrades briefly during the fight with Frieza. His connection with Dende, however, is arguably as strong, if not stronger than his connection to Gohan.


Again, I am talking about instant instinctual response when seeing someone in trouble- he didn't not stop to think and asses the win/loss ratio.
Yes, but it's still out of character for him to sacrifice Dende's safety to protect Jaco. That's not compassion, that's just stupidity. It also doesn't come off as character growth, because certain of his character traits were ignored for him to make the decisions the way he did. I do believe Piccolo is much more compassionate now than he's ever been, but he's never been this foolish.
He didn't sacrifice anyone's safety, he acted on impulse hence no time to consider it. He was already aware that 73 and the other guy were coming after them so he likely felt them leave the lookout immediately after him.

The point of the scene was to show that Buu was smarter than Piccolo believed him to be and also to shock us, the readers. And that last interpretation from your quote above is just one you and a few others have latched unto. I don't follow that interpretation at all and don't really believe it's there. If that "lesson" was actually intended, don't you think Goku and Vegeta would have found a way to save Piccolo and the boys later on? But no, they had to make the hard decision to leave them there so that they could survive to fight Buu again. So yes, Piccolo's decision, despite not being as effective as he immediately planned, still bought the boys a few minutes, maybe even an hour depending on how long it actually took Buu to scan the planet and fire his attack. It was still an effective tactic and cements Piccolo as a pragmatic thinker. Same as Goku and Vegeta later in the arc.
Yes, that too, but that doesn't exclude what I meant. By lesson I don't mean it was a intended as a trend or a theme that the story meant to follow throughout the rest of the ac- it was for the shock factor
There's nothing humane about letting his family and friends die, I'm sorry. Especially when it's to "save" someone he knows is strong enough to go toe to toe with large groups of Frieza soldiers. So, I'm more concerned with him losing his warrior's edge and his brilliant mind to become a blithering idiot.
You keep mentioned that as if he was sensing them getting attacked and ignored it. Nothing suggest that in any way and for all we know he knew that the attackers were going to come after him as they did and always do.

I will agree that the chapter did absolutely nothing to highlight that he is supposed to be one of the smarter characters and presented him as any other character, but that doesn't mean he was written to act like a fool. I am more than aware that the author favors Vegeta to a worrying extend and obviously doesn't extend that same care to other characters (Vegeta now going to learn to be more ki efficient which was one the few things that the earth fighters had over him kinda bugs me ) but I don't think we need to always look for the most unflattering angle .

User avatar
Miracles
I Live Here
Posts: 2848
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:38 pm
Miracles wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:24 pm
Tai Lung wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:11 pm


The last thing Merus said was said before in the tournament ...? no, they said other something else
and the last mentioned by merus is consistent with the above? no, because the second time an external power was not necessary goku did it freeing his mind of distractions ...

It seems clear to me that before they thought of something else ... but now they preferred to go with the premise similar to that of anime so is a retcon :roll:

annyway.... I pass ... I have repeated that many times :roll:
You are in denial of the facts...

The first time, Goku transformed into UI, was when Jiren was about to eliminate him after Roshi's speech. Second transformation, Goku said he won't let his emotions be controlled by the circumstances while standing in front of Jiren. Then immediately faces off against Jiren . Third and complete transformation; Goku calmed his mind when he transformed into the complete UI WHILE Jiren was powering up in his face. Finally, Merus just stated he and Goku need to recreate that situation from the TOP. So Goku confirms and states to come at him ready to kill.

All of this continues the manga's theme of Goku calming his emotions in the face of danger [external power of opponent] to get UI. This isn't a retcon Toyotaro stole from the anime.
the first is a fact .. yes
the second one is not what I discuss since goku and jiren is not fighting there is still danger you say? again broly,
Goku said he won't let his emotions be controlled by the circumstances ok that was the only thing that had been said before in the entire tournament
WHILE Jiren was powering up in his face that is this "primordial" and it is only happen a in the first and third

anyway ... I wouldn't say steal because nobody can steal from himself ,the author works in both versions ... and both ideas can were executed differently ...
Therefore it's not a retcon. By your admittance, Toyotaro already had external power of the opponent as a factor.
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."~Psalm 14:1

User avatar
PsionicWarrior
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1567
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:01 pm

Just read 53,

Eeeeeeeeerrrrr where TF are Trunks and Goten lol

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:03 am

Tai Lung wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:13 am

It has been contradicted before ...
Cabba doesn't know anything about Super Saiyan ... then he talks about the legendary Saiyan as if he knew him just because the mention was also in the anime ...

no, ... you can't blame the reader in this case if they say something first and then they invent something last minute ...
if 2 months ago someone you asks someone how goku got the UI will he tell you something totally different from what was seen in the anime now they will tell you that it is similar in its method ...

Why if do we all read the same? we didn't have this discussion ...
I think they are trying to justify this ... that it was always there but I already explained why it does not match ... and obviously it was not planned

it may not be necessary to say everything textually but something so important that the ultra instinct is supposed to be ... there should be no confusion

that is the series had characters that can do it ... but merus a character out of nowhere says it much later

now if the problem is going to be ... the readers simply everybody pretend that I have not said anything and case fixed
Wait sorry what in the fuck?

First, there is zero mention of a Legendary Saiyan in the DBS anime (minus an episode preview which does not count) with regards to U6 Saiyans. Super Saiyan =/= Legendary Saiyan (not the legend of the Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan God as it is told in U7). Cut the bullshit.

Merus' explanation was very clear in the last chapter and this chapter. Nothing contradicts what has been done at the ToP.

My previous response:
That idea, while it may seem thematic, was never touted as the way of UI. Merus clearly explained it last chapter.

Goku: "I gotta empty my heart and mind for that move to work, but when I'm fighting my emotions are all over the place."

Merus: "No, that's not it. Rage, grief, joy... those emotions can translate to enormous power. But the technique you're after is the opposite.

It will activate when you achieve self-control of a shock to your emotions. That's Ultra Instinct."

In a matter of life or death, Goku can likely experience the highest intensity of emotions, and when he brings them under control, that's when he'll achieve Ultra Instinct.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1247
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Rakurai wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:03 am
Wait sorry what in the fuck?

First, there is zero mention of a Legendary Saiyan in the DBS anime (minus an episode preview which does not count) with regards to U6 Saiyans. Super Saiyan =/= Legendary Saiyan (not the legend of the Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan God as it is told in U7). Cut the bullshit.

Merus' explanation was very clear in the last chapter and this chapter. Nothing contradicts what has been done at the ToP.
vegeta said it was the look of the original SSJ .. when he saw kale

it's the same thing why he could not mention that when he saw the transformation before? ...

that makes no sense
goku has been in life or death situations with broly and moro but there was nothing of UI
goku uses the UI without needs fighting in the TOP

and I really got bored of discussing this so ...

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:28 am

Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:33 pm
Rakurai wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:03 am
Wait sorry what in the fuck?

First, there is zero mention of a Legendary Saiyan in the DBS anime (minus an episode preview which does not count) with regards to U6 Saiyans. Super Saiyan =/= Legendary Saiyan (not the legend of the Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan God as it is told in U7). Cut the bullshit.

Merus' explanation was very clear in the last chapter and this chapter. Nothing contradicts what has been done at the ToP.
vegeta said it was the look of the original SSJ .. when he saw kale

it's the same thing why he could not mention that when he saw the transformation before? ...

that makes no sense
goku has been in life or death situations with broly and moro but there was nothing of UI
goku uses the UI without needs fighting in the TOP

and I really got bored of discussing this so ...
And that has no bearing on any Legendary Super Saiyan stuff whatsoever (Cabba doesn't even use the term "original Saiyan" in the manga), so your point is still very much moot. You're trying to fit two pieces of information that simply don't fit in your attempt to claim manga is copying the anime in the most obscure manner.

I'm going to leave this here again with some markers to help you contextualize the meaning of that scene because you don't seem to be getting it.
That idea, while it may seem thematic, was never touted as the way of UI. Merus clearly explained it last chapter.

Goku: "I gotta empty my heart and mind for that move to work, but when I'm fighting my emotions are all over the place."

Merus: "No, that's not it. Rage, grief, joy... those emotions can translate to enormous power. But the technique you're after is the opposite.

It will activate when you achieve self-control of a shock to your emotions. That's Ultra Instinct."

In a matter of life or death, Goku can likely experience the highest intensity of emotions, and when he brings them under control, that's when he'll achieve Ultra Instinct.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:35 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Majin Jator » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:11 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:16 pm
While I was reading the most recent chapter, I thought that Piccolo would invent a new technique, something that his foe can't know but I was wrong.
As I read about 73's powers I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to make Piccolo shine: Let him defeat an opponent with his same techniques and strength thanks to his wits and outside the box thinking. I'm mostly disappointed at myself, thou. I should know better by now!

User avatar
PsionicWarrior
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1567
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:29 am

I also believe Gohan will get his arse kicked,
Srsly no one can tell me where the F are Trunks and Goten?
Also what's up with good old pal 17, wouldn't he be useful as an android vs this kind of foe lol

Ah and while I'm at, can't reach Tien because no cellphone? Are you ****ing kidding me lol

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5868
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:04 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:29 am
Srsly no one can tell me where the F are Trunks and Goten?
They are most likely playing with Trunks' toys and spending most of the time acting like a child, despite their actual ages. :roll:

BWri
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 764
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 1:56 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by BWri » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Michsi wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:09 am

Again, the guy was already dead by the time Cell started draining him and his reaction to seeing what it was doing clearly indicated he was too shocked and horrified to respond.
I'll grant you that the stab was likely very fast, but the draining was not so fast that Piccolo couldn't react to it. I doubt he was so shocked that he couldn't react to what was happening. The only thing that makes sense is he was trying to figure out what Cell was doing. By watching Cell drain the man, he got to see firsthand how the draining worked. The man was already dead or at least likely to die, so Piccolo took his time, made a strategic call and got to see how Cell's abilities work. It falls in line with the other tactics of subterfuge he used in their interaction. Letting Cell absorb his arm and lying to him to draw out his story. It's all pragmatic tactics from Piccolo.
BWri wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:24 pm
Back then, he didn't know that there were other threats beyond Vegeta and Nappa. In this case, he knows that the thugs here on Earth are just harbingers for a much bigger threat, one that even Goku, Vegeta, and Buu can't seem to defeat. He also knows that the Namekians were all wiped out. Why would be risk Dende's survival in this scenario. The situations aren't even compareable really. In terms of personal relationships, Piccolo has no real connection with Jaco other than being comrades briefly during the fight with Frieza. His connection with Dende, however, is arguably as strong, if not stronger than his connection to Gohan.

Again, I am talking about instant instinctual response when seeing someone in trouble- he didn't not stop to think and asses the win/loss ratio.
And I'm saying his reaction to Jaco makes no sense. It takes 0 thinking to know not to leave Dende on the lookout with killers. That's the reaction he would make as he yelled at Krillin to save Jaco. Jaco cannot fall faster than Krillin could fly, especially considering how high Kami's lookout is.
He didn't sacrifice anyone's safety, he acted on impulse hence no time to consider it. He was already aware that 73 and the other guy were coming after them so he likely felt them leave the lookout immediately after him.
That's a stretch, really an outright lie and you know it. The Panda guy didn't even chase him. And he had no way of knowing the other two would chase him. There was no indication they would, and honestly, they had no reason to do so. Piccolo apparently read ahead in the script.
BWri wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:24 pm
The point of the scene was to show that Buu was smarter than Piccolo believed him to be and also to shock us, the readers. And that last interpretation from your quote above is just one you and a few others have latched unto. I don't follow that interpretation at all and don't really believe it's there. If that "lesson" was actually intended, don't you think Goku and Vegeta would have found a way to save Piccolo and the boys later on? But no, they had to make the hard decision to leave them there so that they could survive to fight Buu again. So yes, Piccolo's decision, despite not being as effective as he immediately planned, still bought the boys a few minutes, maybe even an hour depending on how long it actually took Buu to scan the planet and fire his attack. It was still an effective tactic and cements Piccolo as a pragmatic thinker. Same as Goku and Vegeta later in the arc.
Yes, that too, but that doesn't exclude what I meant. By lesson I don't mean it was a intended as a trend or a theme that the story meant to follow throughout the rest of the ac- it was for the shock factor
But if it's a lesson as you say, then why was it only treated as a bad thing when Piccolo did it, but treated as a necessary sacrifice when Goku and Vegeta did it? To me, it just means the lesson isn't there ... or perhaps it's just hypocrisy. I don't think it's a strong argument either way. Both tactics bought the heroes the necessary time they needed to survive the threat of Buu.
You keep mentioned that as if he was sensing them getting attacked and ignored it. Nothing suggest that in any way and for all we know he knew that the attackers were going to come after him as they did and always do.
He CAN'T KNOW that. That's the point. In this case, he is only saved by the script. Two of them chased him, so what if the Panda guy was just as strong as 73? Krillin, Bulma, Dende, Satan, and the Macareni gang would all be dead ... unless, again, the script saved them from Piccolo's dumb decision making. My problem is Piccolo should have the forethought to see that going after Jaco himself is a bad idea. He should have the instincts by now to know, protect Dende at all costs. This is massively out of character for him. He is normally great at assessing the danger of a situation and this is the first time I've seen him greatly miscalculate just about everything.
I will agree that the chapter did absolutely nothing to highlight that he is supposed to be one of the smarter characters and presented him as any other character, but that doesn't mean he was written to act like a fool. I am more than aware that the author favors Vegeta to a worrying extend and obviously doesn't extend that same care to other characters (Vegeta now going to learn to be more ki efficient which was one the few things that the earth fighters had over him kinda bugs me ) but I don't think we need to always look for the most unflattering angle.
I actually agree with all of this. My initial take on Piccolo in this chapter was less than charitable and wrong in some respects. I didn't notice that 73 was using the portal to get the jump on Piccolo (also didn't know the portal worked like IT). But even with that, I still think Piccolo is not really shown in much of a flattering light here.

I overall liked the chapter. I'm mixed on the Vegeta spirit training. I do believe it further makes the Earthlings obsolete if Vegeta learns similar "tricks" to Goku, but if he does something more unique with it, I'll be okay with it. I also don't see how this is going to help defeat Moro anyhow. Any other villain yes, Moro, no. I do enjoy that Piccolo got some major spotlight, but damn, there's always a little "poison" thrown in to ruin his cool moments. Throw this Namekian a bone already!
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

User avatar
BMAC
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by BMAC » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:24 pm

What is MERUS?! Could he be an angel, really? Maybe one who decided he didn't want to be an angel? Idek.. Crazy though how if he IS in a fact an angel, he can't capture Morro.. That would lead me to think that Beerus can't even take down Morro but tbh the story is still unfolding. Love the direction it's taking while it feels like a fresh take on a classic formula previously used in the series :thumbup:

User avatar
Yasai9001
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:26 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Yasai9001 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 pm

There's no telling what Merus truly is as of yet, but there's a great reason as to why he's been staying low-key.

User avatar
Grand Marshal 1
Regular
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: Greece

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Imagine having this arc ending and no explanation on Merus at all. Lmao, that would piss most people off. I guess Toyo wouldn't do that, but keeping him around as a mysterious character for the future could work. However, the theories are many and I don't know for how long people will contain their urge to know who Merus is.
My posts will speak for myself! :)

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3479
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Wouldn't mind not revealing much about Merus this arc. Eventually more would need to be explained, otherwise he's nothing more than a plot device.

I'm much more interested in Moro. Would really like a little of background, he needs a bit of substance.

ankokudaishogun
Regular
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:44 am

Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:33 pm
vegeta said it was the look of the original SSJ .. when he saw kale
Nope, he said that might have been the "original form of Saiyans".
He never correlated it to the SUPER Saiyan

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1247
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 am

ankokudaishogun wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:44 am
Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:33 pm
vegeta said it was the look of the original SSJ .. when he saw kale
Nope, he said that might have been the "original form of Saiyans".
He never correlated it to the SUPER Saiyan
Image

However, even if it were the opposite, it does not matter ... because it is obvious that it refers to the SSJ because of the aspect, if no it would not make sense to mention it, the same with cabba

User avatar
mute_proxy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Planet 4032-877

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:43 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 am
ankokudaishogun wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:44 am
Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:33 pm
vegeta said it was the look of the original SSJ .. when he saw kale
Nope, he said that might have been the "original form of Saiyans".
He never correlated it to the SUPER Saiyan
Image

However, even if it were the opposite, it does not matter ... because it is obvious that it refers to the SSJ because of the aspect, if no it would not make sense to mention it, the same with cabba
He was talking about the feral, animal like nature of the form Kale possesed. Not the transformation itself. And those subs are wrong

ankokudaishogun
Regular
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:25 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 am
ankokudaishogun wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:44 am
Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:33 pm
vegeta said it was the look of the original SSJ .. when he saw kale
Nope, he said that might have been the "original form of Saiyans".
He never correlated it to the SUPER Saiyan
Image
Image

Also, I made sure to listen the Japanese spoken: it never says SUUPAA Saiya-jin.

Post Reply