(Project idea) Dragon Ball Z Kai Upscale

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Re: (Project idea) Dragon Ball Z Kai Upscale

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:53 pm

So I looked at one of the links above from framecompare, and I must say this of the #3 Kai 1080p Upscale DNR version. It looks nice, but somewhat off. A tad into uncanny valley. The trees look great and the image generally looks great, but if you view the image at full resolution (right click > view image) then you can see flaws.

Just look at the edges of Goku's arms and face. You can see the flaws of this method of upscaling + DNR. Then the areas I circled in red are noticeable. Yes, I am a bit banal about this but I feel that if I can see these flaws in a single frame at full resolution, how would it look if you animated even 10 seconds?

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:34 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:53 pm So I looked at one of the links above from framecompare, and I must say this of the #3 Kai 1080p Upscale DNR version. It looks nice, but somewhat off. A tad into uncanny valley.
First off, I'm glad you enjoyed the screenshot! Next, I made a mistake when labeling those screenshots, that's actually the upscale without DNR. Third, that may be correctable by using a 1080p source instead of 720p or the Level Sets.

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:24 pm

So should we do a one-minute teaser about the project? We must present the project to be able to build a team and generate interest. With this tool we can make a decent release, even if it takes years ...

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:22 pm

It's terrible I know

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:49 pm

Jesta' wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:02 pm He's literally blowing up 4k images into small nuggets to highlight his "point".
No, he was just showing them in full 1080p. No blowing up.
And, yes, he WAS showing just select pieces; to show what he was talking about. Some parts look sharp, but some parts look blurry. It's kinda all over the place. Except in the Cell versus Trunks screenshot. That one is ONLY blurry.

If you used 1080p as the source, your project might work. I don't know. But I do know that upscaling the downscale'd video footage isn't helping any.

Jesta' wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:02 pmHe was comparing those upscaled images to the Shitty Funimation releases, it wasn't a criticism, it was an insult.
It definitely doesn't look like FUNi's work in the first and third screenshot, but it DOES in the second screenshot. Very much watercolor.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:56 pm

We could turn sagas into movies. For example, the Saiyan Saga has 17 episodes that tell the plot. So surely we could condense the story into a 1:45 movie. In fact, we have an English voice acting true to the original texts, and also with several channels, which allows us to choose the soundtrack and make the movie to our liking. I have a general plan for this, send me a PM.

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:25 pm

blu ray vs kai upscaled

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:22 am

I wonder how these upscales look vs. Selecta Vision's future DBZ releases: https://mobile.twitter.com/SelectaVisio ... 9977769984

SonOfMarkiplier

Post by SonOfMarkiplier » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:35 pm

Has their been any updates on this project?