Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:56 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:59 am
I'm not defending real life slavery is the point. My argument is that I don't consider Naofumi to be as bad a real life slavers was because while his comrades are slaves on paper he treats them better.
Its noted that President Lincoln was a slave owner as well. Seeing as though he fought for the emancipation, one would think that he treated his better than most folks in the south. There're plenty of stories of slave owners who weren't as vile as others, doesn't make it right.
I feel like a lot of people glanced over my post saying slavery in fiction is set up different.
That's the silly part, it's FICTION, anything can literally be whatever the artist/author wants it to be. Even still though, your statement isnt true. 1. For the above example. 2. Just look at Dragon Ball (our beloved series) Bobidi enslaved Spopovich, Yamu and Dabra, mostly likely against their will and he killed all three of them even after they so happily served him. How different is that from real life slaver owners who've done similar things probably for far less.
Raphtlia who is slave 1 was going to die in a week and couldn't defend herself. The Shield Hero bought her taught her how to fight as he needed someone to fight for him and fed her. Something her previous owner didn't do. When she messed up he didn't beat her which her previous owner did. He even buys her a toy when she sees other kids. Her parents are also dead at this point. When she is given the chance to be free from him she returns on her own free will.
Massa gives me Foods, Massa gives me Sleeps. I like Massa! Yes, Yes I do! - Slave
Slave 2 who is Philo started as a pet Bird that gained a human form and she also chooses to stay with Nafomui despite being his slave official in the eyes of the government.
There's a powerful quote by Harriet Tubman where she says she saved thousands of slaves but she could've saved thousands more if only they knew they were slaves.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:48 am

Saimaroimaru wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:45 pm Also, the way the show presents itself, it makes Naofumi & his party the only competent ones in that dimension with the exception of the Queen who had no issue putting a slave crest on her own daughter when she already had enough evidence to convict her anyway. On top of that same said daughter gets punished by being sent to a king who rapes, mutilates, & kills her.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who caught that. In fairness, the stuff with the King isn’t in any other version beyond the web novel. Nevertheless, it does reveal the mindset of such an author.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:23 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:37 pmAbsolutely nothing. People just went off on tangents.
It actually started from someone originally bringing up that dumbass Shield Hero anime.

Also Shield Hero is hardly the first or only anime I've come across to have a disgustingly retrograde and abominable take on the concept of slavery. Back in the mid-2000s, there was this horrifyingly gross Moe anime called DearS, whose main premise was about Earth being visited by a race of aliens (all of whom, naturally, take on the physical form of "adorable" looking sexy young teenage girls) who's gimmick was - and I swear I'm not making this up - that in their society, slavery is seen as a good, positive, and wonderful thing, and the whole race define themselves proudly and enthusiastically as willing slaves, all of them seeking masters to take care of them and take complete ownership of them while they serve their every need and want with gleeful abandon.

Each member of the race would voluntarily submit themselves as willing slaves to people (almost always men or young boys) whom they came to feel a connection with as a show of their undying affection and loyalty.

The main character, naturally, is a high school boy (its ALWAYS high school boys) who has one of these alien Moe girls become infatuated with him and submit herself to him as his slave... and of course, he initially has a dislike of these aliens, so at first he thinks its annoying and doesn't want her. But over the course of the show, he gradually comes to not only like her and her race, but also view their slavery in a positive light, and eventually he "grows to appreciate" and accept the main alien girl as his happy and Kawaii little slave.

The anime's main opening theme is also called "I'm Your Slave", just in case you somehow didn't quite fully grasp or catch onto the main concept of this show.

I don't think I need to spend a whole lot of time ruminating on all the MULTITUDE of layers upon which this particular anime stands out as one of the single most sickening, hideous, and vile bits of toxic sewage that I've ever seen come out of ANY corner of anime, and certainly within the realm of Moe - a subgenre/subset of anime that I already think as it is is one of the single most irredeemable, indefensible bits of absolute gutter trash that has ever slimed its way out from the darkest and most depraved corners of Otakudom.

Not only are the aliens in DearS one of the single most transparent and blatant examples of the entire subtext of Moe Girls (which is and has always been basically young, hyper-cute, defenseless & dependent human equivalents of fuckable puppies as a sexual "domination" fantasy for lonely, isolated, socially awkward, self-pitying, and repressed shut-ins and introverts) just flat-out becoming the surface-level text without ANY pretenses or figleafs whatsoever...

...but moreover, the main "arc" of the series is that of the main character at first having the EXTREMELY appropriate and human reaction of horror and revulsion to these girls' whole subservient mindset, but then over the course of the show "growing and evolving" as a character to where he "comes to the realization" that their hyper-subservient nature is both cute and endearing and that he should be happy and grateful to have one of them submit herself to his ever whim, beck, and call and be forever dependent and attached to him.

I first came across this anime during my earliest years here on Kanzenshuu (back when it was still Daizex) thanks to one of the then-users here enthusiastically recommending it to me. I was, needless to say, absolutely repulsed and mortified... and I'm someone who, for those who might not have clued into this yet, rather notoriously difficult to genuinely horrify with a piece of media. I grew up ravenously consuming some of the sickest, most depraved and grotesque pieces of horror and exploitation this side of Marquis de Sade.

But DearS... DearS genuinely broke something in my brain when I first saw it nearly 15 years ago that even the most harshest and fucked up of rape films and cinematic sadism (most of which I'd first seen when I was VERY little) never could. And this was still VERY early in my time here at Kanz way back in the day... it only went even further downhill from there over the course of the subsequent decade following.

Not only is this anime basically a gross and gleeful fetishization of young girl slaves as a transparently objectified sexual fantasy for desperate Otaku guys, but it even comes complete with a whole "narrative arc" at the center of the story where the main guy "learns a lesson" about appreciating slave girls and realizing that having one is a wonderful blessing. Even something like Salo - one of the most notoriously sick and difficult to stomach stories of sexual slavery ever conceived of in ALL of fiction - isn't anywhere NEAR this twisted at the heart of its narrative: at least THAT story understood that the dystopic, fascist rulers (be they the noblemen of the book or the literal Nazis of the film) of its world were the bad guys.

There's something to be said for when a work knowingly crosses every line of good taste and decency imaginable in its attempts to disgust and shock the audience: at least it acknowledges that the moral lines are indeed there and it is in fact purposefully stepping over them in order to have an intended effect. The same cannot be said for both DearS, and really just about the entirety of all of Moe, whose complete and willful lack of self-awareness and basic regard for their own vile horribleness (and the broken mental hoops that they constantly jump through to justify themselves as "perfectly innocent and cute" at their heart, when in reality they couldn't be the furthest thing in the universe from) vastly dwarfs even some of the very WORST and sickest that other genres and avenues of art and media have to offer.

As horrifyingly godawful as Shield Hero indeed sounds, its still REALLY difficult to surpass something like DearS in terms of its sheer brazenness and open pride in which it flaunts and lets fly not only its blatant misogyny and dehumanization of young girls as living fuck-toys, but also the way that it so perfectly and singularly embodies all of the MYRIAD of crippling and mind-warping sexual issues and hangups that have been positively PLAGUING and poisoning the very core of Otaku culture - to the point I think its safe to say of largely defining it now - for literally decades now.

For those of you in this thread who are under the mistaken delusion that the kinds of gross ignorance and lack of self-awareness or self-examination displayed both here in this thread, and throughout most corners of fandom, are somehow "new" problems that suddenly sprang up just within the past several years in the Trump era: you couldn't be anymore stone cold wrong in that assertion. This shit has BEEN an ongoing problem - really THE ongoing problem - in anime fandom right out in the open in front of us ALL throughout the 2000s and 2010s (and to some extent, prior to that as well).

Some of you folks shaking your heads in disbelief may well have been a part of it yourself to one extent or another at one time without even really consciously realizing it yourselves: in fact, without naming names, there are at least a couple of people here in this very thread doing some tut-tutting about this stuff that I KNOW and well remember for a fact weren't much better on a lot of this stuff themselves in the not too distant past.

If its taken anyone here THIS long to finally clue into how bad this shit is and how serious of a problem its always been right along, that is 1000% on them. Various people within fandom, albeit sadly within a depressingly small minority until relatively recent years, have been trying to warn people about this kind of shit for literally decades now, and were either ignored completely or casually dismissed as naysayers.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:29 am

OMG A KUNZAIT POST THAT ISNT THE HALF OF A WHOLE PAGE. You broke him miguel. Apologize. No one does that to poor Kunzait on MY WATCH.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:41 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:56 am Its noted that President Lincoln was a slave owner as well. Seeing as though he fought for the emancipation, one would think that he treated his better than most folks in the south. There're plenty of stories of slave owners who weren't as vile as others, doesn't make it right.
Lincoln never owned slaves. His wife's family did. And that quote from Harriet Tubman isn't actually something she said.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:05 am

Going to take the incredibly brave position of "moe is harmless and has been baked into the cake of anime since the 1980". The issue here is a single series seemingly being latched on to by weird woman-hating westerners.

I'll report back once I've subject myself to some of this series.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:11 am

I mean, I mainly brought up Shield Hero because 1, people were comparing Vic favorably to the titular character and 2, to show how we STILL distribute such fucked up anime in the US. The DearS example, while enlightening, misses the point. Yeah, there’s more fucked up media that’s been released before. The difference is TIMING. Now is not the time for an anime with the narratives that “women lie about rape” and “slavery can be benevolent “. NOT when we have a fascist rapist in office. Heh it’s funny though, I thought my comments on AOT would attract more controversy considering how popular that series is.
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:05 am Going to take the incredibly brave position of "moe is harmless and has been baked into the cake of anime since the 1980". The issue here is a single series seemingly being latched on to by weird woman-hating westerners.

I'll report back once I've subject myself to some of this series.
Agreed. DearS as iffy as it might be, didn’t embolden a bunch of racist misogynists the way Shield Hero and Goblin Slayer did. We need to stop giving the Alt Right icons.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:25 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:05 am Going to take the incredibly brave position of "moe is harmless and has been baked into the cake of anime since the 1980". The issue here is a single series seemingly being latched on to by weird woman-hating westerners.
Moe itself is inherently dehumanizing of women by its very core nature. The barely-veiled subtext of Moe is that young girls exist solely to be cute and defenseless for the purposes of fulfilling a protector/provider/sexual dominance fantasy for the audience: the audience implicitly being young men who are isolated, shy, lonely Hikikomori-types who are unskilled at socializing in real life and have few or no friends or relationship experience, and who need this feeling of being a protector/lover of a young, frail, innocent girl to fill a deep, longing void in themselves (brought about by a combination of loneliness, social isolation, and total lack of real relationship experience with real people).

They thus seek out this toxic and horrible fantasy of basically "taking ownership" of a young girl (a generally under-aged girl: her at least coming across as under-aged in her physicality and demeanor is a HUGE part of the fantasy, for various sickening reasons) who is like a lost puppy: perpetually innocent, naive, and doe-eyed, as well as completely incapable of looking after herself and is in need of a "protector" figure: that protector obviously being the main male character/audience self-insert figure.

A Moe Girl, by its classic definition, is a character who is made to make the (overwhelmingly male) audience feel a mixture of paternal protectiveness and sexual attraction. This most certainly is not just limited to a show like DearS: I only brought that one up because of both the direct connection to literal slavery in its plot as well as how over-the-top on-the-nose blatantly obvious it is about this subtext. This subtext though is inherent and "baked into" virtually ALL of Moe.

And no, Moe was in NO WAY "baked into the cake of anime" from the medium's inception. That's both factually/historically incorrect, as well as ludicrously ridiculous. Never mind the 80s, the history of Japanese animation in its entirety dates back to pre-World War II silent shorts (which in NO WAY contain even the vaguest threadbare hint of Moe-like themes), and the post-war era of both anime and manga were defined in large part by both Osamu Tezuka's earliest works (which likewise in NO WAY contained these specific kinds of sexual subtexts) as well as in early Garo/Gekiga works, which have their roots firmly in Japanese counter-culture and social subversion (and while those works certainly have their own issues with women, they were certainly in large part in diametric opposition to the kinds of sexual themes inherent in Moe).

Moe, as we know it today, certainly has some of its early foundations in some 1980s works (which were very much a kind of proto-Moe) but Moe in the modern sense wasn't really fully codified and fleshed out into the kind of cottage industry and thriving subculture that its been for the last 20 years until sometime post-Evangelion in the mid/late 90s, where the popularity and Moe-like appeal of the character Rei Ayanami among hardcore Otaku helped indirectly lead to the modern day incarnation of Moe.

This in NO WAY however means that Moe was "baked into the cake of anime itself" as the history of anime and manga LONG predates the earliest prototypical 1980s incarnations of Moe by many, many decades. The specific social conditions (primarily among young Japanese men post-1970s) that lead to the creation of Moe simply DID NOT EXIST in almost any way during the first few decades following World War II, never mind in the pre-war period. Calling Moe an intrinsic part of anime from its very inception is just blatantly ahistorical, and comes from a grossly incorrect framing that the sum history of anime & manga only starts within the past 35 to 40-someodd years.

And no, this kind of "protector of this innocent/fuckable young female" misogyny is in NO WAY restricted solely to Western Otaku: this has its roots VERY much firmly in Japanese society, dating back at least to the early 1970s and the earliest forms of "Idol Culture", which came about right during and as a direct response to Japan's own "uman ribu" (women's lib) movement where women were first entering the modern Japanese workforce and really started leaving behind the whole "Geisha/housemaid" societal role, and Japanese men first started feeling a sense of longing nostalgia for the prominence of those female roles, as well as a sense of emasculation from the fallout of their gradual dissolution.

Moe in the modern day anime/Otaku sense is VERY much spiritually (if not directly) linked to very much the same societal threads as Japanese Idol Culture, and the strand of misogyny/patriarchy inherent in both are VERY much one and the same in a great many respects.

I'm well aware of some of the books/sources that you've read, recommended, and parroted on the subject of Moe (the Moe Manifesto and suchlike), and those books are absolute and utter crap filled with self-deluding rationalizations (and in some cases, outright rape & pedophilia apologetics) from the very kinds of fans/creators who are very much the beating heart of the worst kinds of female-degrading toxicity infecting and influencing Otaku culture for most of the last 25 years now, if not longer.

I'm also well aware of where your primary interests in anime and manga lie, I've read many of your posts and tweets on these subjects all throughout the years that you've been actively participating in this community: and I can say with absolute and 1000% factual certainty that your range of anime/manga history, while certainly laser focused and plenty thorough in certain arenas (and even well eclipsing mine in a few cases), is overall VERY narrow and limited by your own sexual and aesthetic interests, and there are GAPING holes in your knowledge and awareness of the broader and longer history (both creatively and culturally) regarding Japanese anime and manga as artistic mediums.

Your areas of focus are largely on the technical aspects of the animation process (above and beyond anything else it seems), as well as some of the creative roots of modern Shonen, ecchi, hentai, and Moe. There are ENORMOUS swaths more context and history however to be explored and understood that are far beyond those realms that put them in a MUCH different light and different contextual understanding, extending all the way back to pre-war Japan and well into the cultural revolution of the 1960s.

And this isn't just solely some Westerner's "gaijin" outsider perspective on this stuff: numerous female Japanese fans and creators have been more and more increasingly speaking out against the toxic nature and influence of Moe and Moe-like works on Japanese social media for much of the past 7 or 8 years now at least.

I honestly wish I said more on this subject to you a MUCH longer time ago in the past, but a there's SUCH great deal about your overall perspective on anime and manga that are just COLOSSALLY misguided and rooted in some of the worst and most corrosive aspects of both mediums and their associated subcultural communities, and you seem to be genuinely unaware and blind to the fact that many of the parts of both that you've most strongly championed and lionized for much of the last decade+ now are some of the most immensely misogynistic and anti-woman corners of Otakudom, and are 1000% antithetical to your own identities as a woman (trans or otherwise) and as a socially left-leaning person.

Obviously I don't think that you are in any way some kind of "closet misogynist" yourself of course (I mean, that's pretty obvious at this point): I just think that you haven't read or experienced enough or looked into some of these things as closely as you probably should've, and that you have some VERY deep and stubborn blinders on regarding some of these things based upon mainly your own personal history and experiences with them (and how many of them have no doubt helped you to realize your own sexual identity and rebirth) and haven't really faced up to any of the uglier realities lurking behind a lot of them.

Suffice it to say, guys like Mamoru Oshii and Hayao Miyazaki (and Satoshi Kon, RIP) were, are, and remain VERY MUCH on 100% the correct side of things in many of the virulent and wholly justified criticisms they've espoused toward Otaku culture and anime titles, and the problem with much of your own writings and viewpoints on these matters has been your own lack of critical understanding and awareness of the greater historical contexts surrounding the medium that you love and cherish so much.

I'm not saying this to pick on you or to belittle you or to embarrass you or to be a condescending prick: I'm saying this because I genuinely give a shit, and because you have for a LONG time now in your various writings and postings helped spread and propagate (however blindly and unknowingly) some INCREDIBLY toxic and horrible things about Otaku culture that are COMPLETELY at odds with your own Leftist LGBTQ identity, and you've demonstrated almost NO conscious awareness or understanding about that whatsoever and seemingly NO ONE has been telling you differently up till now. Either because they aren't informed enough on the subject, or its just too uncomfortable for them to broach to you.

Please, PLEASE look more deeply into Japanese social history, outside of just anime and Otaku culture, and look more into other areas of manga and anime that are well outside of and apart from mainly ecchi and Shonen works. Look into Garo Magazine and its incredibly dense and important history, look into more of Tezuka's less iconic and popular works (like Message to Adolf and Metropolis) and at what prompted him to first expand his signature artistic style into more experimental realms, look into artists like Shigeru Tamura, Suehiro Maruo, Goseki Kojima, Shigeru Mizuki, and Yoshiharu Tsuge (for just a VERY small sampling), and moreover look into who THEIR influences were and what kinds of experiences and social movements inspired their own work and at the broader Japanese contexts surrounding those.

For all the incredible amounts of love, obsession, and fixation as you've shown towards Japanese animation and manga throughout your years in this community, there is still a GIGANTIC amount that you not only don't even remotely know about and remain ignorant of, but are relentlessly and at times infuriatingly misinformed about and are lacking in critical broader contextual and historical understanding about.

The Moe thing is very much outwardly and obviously symptomatic of it, but it certainly goes even deeper than that as well, and I've noticed for years now in your writings that it leads you down all kinds of misguided, confused, and distorted pretzel-logic regarding what exactly most anime & manga even IS, what it started out as originally, and how a great deal of the current crop of works ACTUALLY reflect upon broader society within a larger context outside of and apart from the POV of a typical internet Otaku.

To say nothing of a myriad of other outright nutty, bizarre, and baffling conclusions, like all of live action film and Renaissance art (realms of art which you've throughout the years repeatedly demonstrated INCREDIBLY minimal amounts of actual knowledge, exposure, and experience with) being inherently worthless and vastly creatively inferior to works like Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh.

The specific corner of anime & manga that is your sole, main focus - Moe, ecchi, modern Shonen, hentai, and largely fetish-centric works - paint a VERY incomplete and lopsidedly skewed portrait of the broader medium and its history in their totality, and its directly akin to a comic book connoisseur mainly grasping their framework and understanding about that medium from Tijuana Bibles and mainstream Marvel & DC books.

Point being: read more, experience more, think more critically, and get the fuck well outside of the bubble of just your personal interests, fixations, and perspective: and you'll find that there's even WAY more to learn, realize, and understand about even things that you beforehand had thought you'd taken everything there was to glean from or had a full, thoroughly comprehensive understanding of.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:34 am

Are there any good books or documentaries about the history of anime, even if specific genres, anyone could point me to?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Moe began surfacing in the 1980s, when the first generation of kids raised on Japanese cartoons were joining the industry en mass and the idea of "media made for Otaku by Otaku" was just starting up. ZZ had some of this with its loli character, Ple Two, but we would also see it in Minky Momo and Creamy Mami and how adults reacted to those series.

'Moe' doesn't even have a fully agreed upon definition, let alone being restricted only to men who feel moe for female characters. I'm a woman who feels moe for male and female characters, after all. The idea that it's all about cretinous 3D men hating 3D women and doing so through controlling 2D girls is an exhausted stereotype. You are more likely to find a guy who indulges in moe contexts and characters because they have no interest in 3D girls but are otherwise still functioning members of society.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Simere wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:41 am
goku the krump dancer wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:56 am Its noted that President Lincoln was a slave owner as well. Seeing as though he fought for the emancipation, one would think that he treated his better than most folks in the south. There're plenty of stories of slave owners who weren't as vile as others, doesn't make it right.
Lincoln never owned slaves. His wife's family did. And that quote from Harriet Tubman isn't actually something she said.
You're right.. I knew he was associated with owning them somehow even if not directly, Yeah Harriet Tubman is falsely quoted for saying that (dig some digging), still a great quote though. Begs the question though, Is someone really a slave if they make the choice to "serve" under someone else (Butlers n such).

I remember DearS.. I've seen a few episodes on Youtube back in like 06, I was 14 then. Didnt really bother me, wasnt really my cup of tea either though, mostly because i thought it was boring, same with Chobits and others that fall into that Robot Girl Slave trope or whatever. Its interesting I never knew those type of anime were labled as their own thing, i just always lumped them in with Slice of Life though now I can see the differences between "Moe", Herum and Slice of Life despite them having similar set ups.
Last edited by goku the krump dancer on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:45 pm

Butlers aren't slaves. They are employees.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:00 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:45 pm Butlers aren't slaves. They are employees.
Yeah I know.. Their verbiage can be seen as somewhat slave inspired though like calling the people they work for "Master" e.i Master William (Geoffrey from Fresh Prince), Master Bruce (Alfred Pennywise), Master Roger (The Butler from Big O).
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:22 pm

DearS & Shield Hero aren't even the only notable examples. Two come to mind

Re:Monster - where the MC and his group captures his enemies & subjects them to a series of drugs & rape until they develop some deprived form of sexual stockholm syndrome.

Sekirei - which is a toned down DearS but the subtext is still there & got an funimation dub of its anime.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:04 pm

I'd just like to point out that there is nothing wrong with having guilty pleasures. Going back to Lovecraft, even though I acknowledge the racist and classist subtext/agenda in many of his works, I still enjoy them, because I like reading about ancient alien civilizations and incomprehensible, eldritch gods and monsters. "The Rats in the Walls" is one of the best-written and effective horror stories I've ever read - providing you can get over the name of the cat. Even "Medusa's Coil", one of his most infamously racist stories (If you've never heard of it, I'll just say that the final line, which is meant to be the big twist ending, is so hilariously out-of-touch and cringe-inducing that it makes you wonder if the whole thing was even meant to be taken seriously) has some interesting ideas and connections to the Mythos.

Similarly, I like some anime/manga for the cute slice-of-life stories with cute girls, high school romance, and funny moments. I know a lot of these have some pretty bad subtext and many cringeworthy parts, but, like with Lovecraft, I can see past them and extract the good stuff. As long as you acknowledge that such problems exist with these works and understand why they are problems, it's fine to still like them for other reasons. I'm sure even something like Shield Hero has some good or interesting parts to it.

A lot of times, believe it or not, fanfiction can actually help with this problem. With Lovecraft, other writers have elaborated and expanded on his ideas (for better or worse), but there are a lot of Mythos stories by other writers that keep all of the interesting parts and cut out the racism and classism. Someone earlier mentioned Chobits, and while I am rather lukewarm about that series in general, I once read an amazing fanfic for it that pretty much took the entire concept and reframed it as an allegory against slavery and discrimination, while still keeping the cute romantic tone of the original work. The fact that people are able to do things like that, even with problematic source material, is encouraging and, I think, shows that it's okay to like certain fiction as long as you acknowledge its flaws.

I've never seen Attack on Titan, although I have been considering getting into it. XVB has been complaining about the author's 'right-wing ideology', and while I don't know exactly how that manifests in the series, I just want to see cool fights against giant monsters.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:23 am
Like I said, tangents. Bro, I'm not reading all of that, jsyk.

Dude, I don't give a shit who brought up Shield Hero, or that it was brought up at all. It's completely unnecessary & off-topic. I'm surprised one of the mods didn't lock this thread after that given how people went off on such needless tangents when this thread is supposed to be dedicated to Vic Mignogna & stuff related to his bullshit lawsuit. Hell, a mod saying, "Hey, guys, this is getting insanely off-topic. Please get back on topic or this thread might be locked till there's substantial news" would've been enough, but, for some reason, no. Just people left tot heir own devices for pages & days. Ugh.
Last edited by Scsigs on Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:56 pm

I agree with Scsigs. This thread is almost not about Vic Mignogna anymore. Its almost like an offtopic dumpster fire.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:02 pm

I think discussing this stuff is useful and interesting.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:09 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:56 pm I agree with Scsigs. This thread is almost not about Vic Mignogna anymore. Its almost like an offtopic dumpster fire.
This thread should have been locked about 260 pages ago so idk

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:13 pm

Admittedly, I'm too depressed and dysphoric to really put effort into writing my posts nearly as well as I want to. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go crawl up in a ball and eat these god awful Orange Cream Soda Gummy Bears.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️