"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:35 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:16 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:58 am
Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:28 am

I'm not sure how much of that was actual intent/marketing or us reading way more into it than we should've. He is allowed to hype up his presence and given that VA , especially those from DB, are something like celebrities over in Japan them performing live and reading from the manga was definitely something big for fans over there. He didn't specifically tweet anything that was directed at international fans iIrc , he just promoted his work with enthusiasm. The only thing that could be construed to be related to future work was that secret meeting with Toei, but that might as well have for the movie.

Marketing is basically psyhology. It's in their intent to keep DB in our minds when the movie is being made, and fill in the gaps with 'nothing'.

You're right it's not a 100 % sure there is a lack of good intent behind it all, but i'm starting to doubt that after this year.
There were too many signs 'that might lead to the conclusion of a return ...' that actually lead nowhere, so i had become sceptical about it.
My scepticism made me see this somehow coming (altough i would have expected at least some news about the new movie), but i feel sorry for the fans that didn't and were already enjoying themselves for it.
I understand why they are disappointed, it's not their fault, because TOEI really made it seem like something substantial was in the pipeline.
The hope's not over before something's taken over Kitaro's time slot. But it seems much less now.

I would recommend not to hold the assumption an anime series is actually still coming. Let it go. Just my two cents.
It's basically wishful thinking, and you are trying to argument that wish with facts.
There is no proof whatsoever there is an anime in the making from official sources and there is a connection with the ending of Kitaro.
So if you keep the assumption an anime will come, which is your right, chances are however substantial you will get disappointed over and over again.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:26 pm

Personally I am fine with a movie too. That would be better than nothing

And yes I know they said they “working” on a movie. But that is not substantial enough for me. I just want some type of official announcement to look forward to. A weekly series is of course more fun because there is constant new content. But with a film at least you get constant updates and that creates buzz and excitement.

The only thing I don’t like as much about a film is not everyone can see it at the same time so it does lack the community appeal of a weekly series.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:36 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:26 pm Personally I am fine with a movie too. That would be better than nothing

And yes I know they said they “working” on a movie. But that is not substantial enough for me. I just want some type of official announcement to look forward to. A weekly series is of course more fun because there is constant new content. But with a film at least you get constant updates and that creates buzz and excitement.

The only thing I don’t like as much about a film is not everyone can see it at the same time so it does lack the community appeal of a weekly series.

I agree. It's something to look forward as such. But i bet the movie won't be ready till 2021.
If they couldn't show any teasers at JF, it's probably still pre-production phase.
I saw some post here it doesn't make sense for Goku to be the mascot of Olympics without any DB in the air.
It does make sense if they can ty the Olympics-events to a first real trailer of the movie.
I expect the first real trailer to drop around that period (July / August).

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm a little bummed out that we're pretty much not getting anything regarding information of a possible continuation of the Dragon Ball Super anime. But the Super manga still ongoing, I have enough to satisfy my appetite for good Dragon Ball material.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:38 pm

DBS official twitter account: Finally 2 days until Jump Festa Begins! Look forward to the DRAGON BALL Booth!
Toei Animation *Announces World Trigger, Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai remake and nothing about Dragon Ball Super, their biggest moneymaker*

Sure the world we live in makes sense a lot of sense...

Anyway there's something strange here.

World Trigger fans are saying there's not much material to adapt, considering where the last season ended and the manga have became monthly, and that it may not be longer than 2 cours (around 24 episodes). World Trigger new season is also already confirmed to air on TV Asahi.

Dragon Ball/Kitaro and One Piece air on Fuji TV, so World Trigger won't be the replacement for Kitaro.

Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai remake will debut fall 2020 and there's still no confirmation where it will air. It could air on Fuji TV but since Kitaro it's been officially on its last arc for some months, I doubt it will last until fall 2020.

In other words, we still don't know which show will officially replace Kitaro and if it's not Dragon Quest, it could be another Toei anime...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:52 pm

Yes, there is still a six month slot that needs to be filled. This means that Dragon Ball could easily fit that slot. The series could easily premier on Sunday 05 April 2020, which would be Toriyama's birthday as well.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:11 pm

And why would it be so secret?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:35 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:58 am

Marketing is basically psyhology. It's in their intent to keep DB in our minds when the movie is being made, and fill in the gaps with 'nothing'.

You're right it's not a 100 % sure there is a lack of good intent behind it all, but i'm starting to doubt that after this year.
There were too many signs 'that might lead to the conclusion of a return ...' that actually lead nowhere, so i had become sceptical about it.
My scepticism made me see this somehow coming (altough i would have expected at least some news about the new movie), but i feel sorry for the fans that didn't and were already enjoying themselves for it.
I understand why they are disappointed, it's not their fault, because TOEI really made it seem like something substantial was in the pipeline.
The hope's not over before something's taken over Kitaro's time slot. But it seems much less now.

I would recommend not to hold the assumption an anime series is actually still coming. Let it go. Just my two cents.
It's basically wishful thinking, and you are trying to argument that wish with facts.
There is no proof whatsoever there is an anime in the making from official sources and there is a connection with the ending of Kitaro.
So if you keep the assumption an anime will come, which is your right, chances are however substantial you will get disappointed over and over again.
Yeah I know, but there's a difference between hope and expectations.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:44 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:29 pm

False hope can lead to disappointment as well ... but it's your choice.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:45 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:44 pm
sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:29 pm

False hope can lead to disappointment as well ... but it's your choice.
False hope is led by expectations... But I've learned not to expect anymore. This time was just too much.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Sani007 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:11 pm And why would it be so secret?
Because corporations want control over when things get announced.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:37 pm

When I heard it wasn't on the main stage, I was concerned. Not hyped for a movie anywhere near the amount I would be for a TV series. The last Dragon Quest Dai series didn't air on Fuji TV, it was on TBS.
It's also possible it could go on Fuji's Noitamina block along with Season 2 of The Promised Neverland.

No idea what Horikawa's meeting was about at Toei, but it's clear they aren't yet ready to announce anything.
He apparently said something at an event where he sang about Vegeta?.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:41 pm

So if I saw correctly, some folks are now harassing Horikawa on twitter because they think he intentionally...mislead them?

This is why the angle "oh, they just wanted to keep us hooked despite knowing it wouldn't bring anything" is unkind. I now genuinely believe they guy only wanted to promote his presence and role in the franchise and nothing more.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:41 pm So if I saw correctly, some folks are now harassing Horikawa on twitter because they think he intentionally...mislead them?

This is why the angle "oh, they just wanted to keep us hooked despite knowing it wouldn't bring anything" is unkind. I now genuinely believe they guy only wanted to promote his presence and role in the franchise and nothing more.
I agee they shouldn't harrass him. But Horikawa should realize he is talking to a world-wide fanbase when he is posting such ambigious stuff.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:02 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:49 pm
Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:41 pm So if I saw correctly, some folks are now harassing Horikawa on twitter because they think he intentionally...mislead them?

I agee they shouldn't harrass him. But Horikawa should realize he is talking to a world-wide fanbase [/b]when he is posting such ambigious stuff.
I don't think that's fair. Especially since the only tweet of his that could vaguely be interpreted as being related to DB was the one with the TOEI meeting, but that could've been any other project. It's us that chose to interpret and analyze and overthink every little thing. I'm guilty of this too, but I at least recognize it's my own fault.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:02 pm

I agee they shouldn't harrass him. But Horikawa should realize he is talking to a world-wide fanbase [/b]when he is posting such ambigious stuff.
I don't think that's fair. Especially since the only tweet of his that could vaguely be interpreted as being related to DB was the one with the TOEI meeting, but that could've been any other project. It's us that chose to interpret and analyze and overthink every little thing. I'm guilty of this too, but I at least recognize it's my own fault.

How many times this year people have been mislead by ambigious information?
TOEI knows a lot of fans are waiting for an anime. And that we already had a false promess earlier this year.
They should simply keep quiet IMHO and not announce two DBS Anime special stages for JF, if there isn't anything to announce there.
And definitely communicate nothing about secret meetings "of which the content shouldn't be known", if it's only about some voice acting during Jump Festa. The message they are spreading is towards a word-wide fanbase.
That fanbase is not being treated entirely reasonable with this. I understand why some people are pissed off honestly.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:22 pm
Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:02 pm

How many times this year people have been mislead by ambigious information?
TOEI knows a lot of people are waiting for an anime. And that we already had a false promess earlier this year.
They should simply keep quiet IMHO and not announce two Anime special stages for JF, if there isn't anything to announce there.
And definitely communicate nothing about secret meetings "of which the content shouldn't be known", if it's only about some voice acting during Jump Festa. The message they are spreading is towards a word-wide fanbase.
The fanbase is not being treated reasonable with this. I understand why some people are pissed off honestly.
But TOEI themselves did nothing to mislead anyone. They didn't tweet out anything or tease anything. Horikawa isn't a TOEI employee, so no one should automatically assume he was told to tweet this and that. He is an independent voice actor that was promoting his own work. And that secret meeting probably had nothing to do with Jump Festa and even if it were fans came out to see him and see that performance- he could have very well have been addressing only that side of his fan base.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:03 pm

But TOEI themselves did nothing to mislead anyone.
But apparantly a large number of people are.
They didn't tweet out anything or tease anything.

If you organize two DBS Anime special stages at Jump Festa, you surely can expect this creates some degree of expectation within the fandom?
And that secret meeting probably had nothing to do with Jump Festa and even if it were fans came out to see him and see that performance- he could have very well have been addressing only that side of his fan base.
In his tweets he referred to the tags 'Dragon Ball' and 'Jump'.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:13 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:03 pm
And that's not TOEI's fault. It's fine to be angry, just don't direct it at someone who didn't deserve it.
If you organize two DBS Anime special stages at Jump Festa, you surely can expect this creates some degree of expectation within the fandom?
People knew it wasn't at the main stage. They made that information public a long time ago. It was one of the biggest indicators we shouldn't have expected anything of great importance. People just kept hoping despite this.
In his tweets he referred to the tags 'Dragon Ball' and 'Jump'.
Jump Festa. Dragon Ball is a "Jump" property, after all, so that's not unusual. And regardless, even if the meeting was about the performance at Jump Festa, for a lot his fans that was big enough to warrant a tease. Apparently he is fluent in English- if there was something he thought the international fans should know he could've very easily addressed them directly.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Michsi wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:13 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:03 pm
And that's not TOEI's fault. It's fine to be angry, just don't direct it at someone who didn't deserve it.

I didn't say it was okay to attack him directly. I only said i understand why this information / teasing was very misleading and why some people are upset.