State of the Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z Broadcast Audio?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

privatetl516

State of the Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z Broadcast Audio?

Post by privatetl516 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:55 pm

I'm sorry if this has already been addressed in other older threads, but from the threads I have seen most discuss the original broadcast audio but NOT the process of archiving them.

I've heard several people claim that Z's broadcast audio was archived in full, however I can't find any copies online, except for a couple of torrents on nyaa that are seeded poorly, quite literally on the verge of death (though it seems they contain the full broadcast audio). Has anyone mirrored this? If the torrent dies, are we screwed?

And what is the progress of broadcast audio recovery for DB and GT?

privatetl516

Re: State of the Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z Broadcast Audio?

Post by privatetl516 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:08 pm

Actually, not sure if I'm allowed to post nyaa links to broadcast audio, but I just found winxbloom's release on nyaa, which contains all of the Z broadcast audio combined with the DBZ video. This isn't the raw audio though, and I'm not sure which source the broadcast audio was taken from (which release).

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:17 pm

The state of the broadcast audio is quite simple.

Dragon Ball episode 1-7, 12, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 33, 36, 37, 40, 41, 47, 48, and 153 have been recovered.
All of DBZ have been recovered, including multiple sources for several episodes.
GT was never missing, but went unused on official releases, though captures from modern Japanese TV airings have been recovered. (In stereo where applicable; Toei switched to stereo mixing starting from episode 5)

All of this material has been sent along to Chris Sabat of Funimation as it was gathered, who said at the outset that he'd do everything in his power to get it used on an official release. The next official release to happen after he said this was the 30th anniversary set, where none of it was used, so it looks like Funimation aren't using it.
Toei are difficult to contact, but people in Japan and America have tried reaching out to them about the broadcast audio, but the reps who respond to public emails are not interested, and have simply turned any offers away. Similarly, other foreign distributors such as the French distributor have turned away offers for this material (I believe the French distributor was mainly concerned by the fact that these are inherently pirate recordings).

Almost all of this material is publicly available because various people leaked this stuff, and since this stuff leaked only a short time after Sabat was sent the first batch, and he outright said it killed most of his enthusiasm, about this, it's possible the leaks are why we haven't seen any of this go on official releases.
But on the plus side, the secondary sources of all the Z episodes (as well as a complete copy of #218) were only made available when they were leaked publicly a while ago by someone who had previously held onto all their material (though they claim to have held back a significant portion of other broadcast material).
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

Captain Awesome
I Live Here

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:55 pm

Honestly it’s great that it’s out there. There’s even a recent release (that I believe a member of this forum was involved with) that times the tracks for the R2J Dragon Box Z and provides both an audio and video sync.

It’s sad that fans have to go the extra mile but I’ve got my remuxed Dbox episodes with broadcast audio running through Infuse on my ATV4K and if this is as good as it gets I’m happy.
[quote="Herms"]The first thing of DragonBall I ever saw was one of the segments where Goku is training on his way to Planet Namek. So I assumed Goku was a spaceship captain.[/quote]

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Regardless of what a handful of us here have access to. It needs to be on an official home release, and we shouldn't be satisfied until it is.
Anime-only DB fan.
DB, Z, and GT in JP are my "holy trinity".
Wish we had the DB and GT DBoxes in the west.
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 pm

Tylerman29 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:45 pm
Regardless of what a handful of us here have access to. It needs to be on an official home release, and we shouldn't be satisfied until it is.
Agreed.

Though I also still wouldn't be satisfied unless there's none of Funi's shitty DNR or cropping either.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

Asmo

Post by Asmo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:15 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 pm
Tylerman29 wrote:
Agreed.

Though I also still wouldn't be satisfied unless there's none of Funi's shitty DNR or cropping either.
Many of us would agree with you, I'm sure.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:46 am

Asmo wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:15 am
Robo4900 wrote:
Tylerman29 wrote:
Agreed.

Many of us would agree with you, I'm sure.
I know I would. even if it was just the dragon box(preferably color corrected). Though id prefer a full level set done with it.

HakkaiBills93
Temporarily Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:03 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Tylerman29 wrote:
Agreed.

So you'll never be satisfied, Funi as much as Toei don't really care about quality, i said it countless times here and countless times some "genius" told me i am wrong, broadcast audios will never be in any official release, and you'll never see any "decent" remaster
people just need to set their mind on that reality

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:48 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:03 pm

So you'll never be satisfied, Funi as much as Toei don't really care about quality, i said it countless times here and countless times some "genius" told me i am wrong, broadcast audios will never be in any official release, and you'll never see any "decent" remaster
Just out of curiosity are you pleased and or surprised about the recent Toei movie(amazon/netflix) and special remasters? Do you think that has any bearing on whether or not we ever get a Db, Z, or GT remaster?
Anime-only DB fan.
DB, Z, and GT in JP are my "holy trinity".
Wish we had the DB and GT DBoxes in the west.
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

HakkaiBills93
Temporarily Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:40 pm

Tylerman29 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:48 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:03 pm

Just out of curiosity are you pleased and or surprised about the recent Toei movie(amazon/netflix) and special remasters? Do you think that has any bearing on whether or not we ever get a Db, Z, or GT remaster?
Toei scanned Movie into HD as a promotion for the new broly movies, they released the RAW scans on Amazon and Netflix but released a DNR version with censorship in Home Media, since then, tv channel airs the censored version, so thoses "web dll" are for me "accident" and wasn't what Toei wanted to release. Unlike Saint Seiya Movies perfectly remastered, thoses movies are unfinished remaster, contrast, colors and luminosity aren't fine for all like movie 7 really dark

i will never be surprised by Movies released in True HD as unlike series, Movies are mostly released in true HD scan even with Toei but i am pleased cause it gave me hope for a few moment, anyway they are widescreen and i would love them beeing full frame like they were back in time on foreign country, japanese vhs for first movies and japanese tv airings.

Since that Time two tv specials released HD but i start feeling them as exceptions.
I really don't expect Toei to released HD dragon box mostly since Hokuto no Ken series that are HD remaster have been released in japan in SD bluray. Toei is not really used to released trueHD from 16mm series more when they are long series.

It would have been released by foreign countries but with the success of the 30th set, season set and dragon ball by selecta vision, it's definitively doomed, companies notice that custumers will buy no matter how poor it look so they can lower the cost as much as they want.

It's not Funimation's fault, all guilty are thoses that spend countless dollars to buy crap release and are happy with them

I said it countless time here , i allways said that 30th set will look like shit -----> i was right no matter people here said "no , Funimation will definitevely listen to fans bla bla bla" same for selecta vision -------> i was right no screenshot = upscale but as usual people keep their dream for reality and said countless shit

i know, what i said is very pessimistic but hey! who make this things happening? if people wouldn't have buy thoses sets and complain like ajay did then things would have change, but now people have shown that they knee themselves showing their ass waiting to be fuck from behind with lot of happiness as they can even said things like "it's nice looking bla bla bla"

you want a remaster with color correction, nice audios? get the BA and remaster yourself, companies don't care about remastering the series so you'll have to rely only on yourself