Whatever Happened To The Concept Of Vegeta Being The Protagonist For Once?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Whatever Happened To The Concept Of Vegeta Being The Protagonist For Once?

Post by theherodjl » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:39 am

I thought I remember hearing about Vegeta possibly getting the chance to be the protagonist of his own movie/tale somewhere, is that still ever going to happen?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: Whatever Happened To The Concept Of Vegeta Being The Protagonist For Once?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:01 am

Most likely in this current ongoing Moro Arc. Almost everything points towards it. Though nothing really is certain in Dragon Ball.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:58 pm

At this point, as far as anime is concerned, I think Toei simply doesn't want to leave out Goku, most likely because of Masako Nozawa.

Besides, let us be honest, even if DB is Goku's story, ever since he appeared, Vegeta was getting huge amount of attention compared to the other characters, to the point of him becoming more relevant than even Gohan, and nowadays, if you pay attention to post 2010 new content, Vegeta is almost always around as Goku is.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:31 pm

Wasn't Vegeta favoured a lot in the past few films? Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, Broly? He can't outdo Goku, but he has equal footing at least.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:59 pm

Vegeta is a protagonist. He gets almost as much screen time as Goku and most of the actual character arcs/moments of growth are given to him. And while Goku is still the one who makes the majority of the world changing decisions, Vegeta is the one usually depicted as dealing with the fallout or at least reacting to it on an emotional level.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:49 pm

I think fans need to pay attention to the wording Toriyama used.

"In the events of there being another movie, I'd like Vegeta to be the hero". That statement has been true since RF, as it was Vegeta who beat down Freeza, but nowhere in that statement does Toriyama say he'll take Goku out of the picture, thus Goku getting the kill to remain relevant to the story. Before RF, Vegeta was always second to Goku, but now he's equal, making him a protagonist, but not the sole protagonist.

We can of course argue about Vegeta's role not being as big as Goku's, but he has without a doubt gotten a major upgrade compared to his pre-RF days. If Goku's role in the story is a 10, then Vegeta's is a 9.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:28 am

That's just the thing, if Toriyama wanted Vegeta to be the hero then Vegeta would actually save the day. To have Vegeta be apart of the plot but not be the hero at the end of the day isn't Vegeta being the protagonist, merely a protagonist. Goku could still be involved with the story but he doesn't necesarily have to be the solution like he usually is depicted as. Goku said he isn't a "hero of justice" so they should stop putting him in that functional role for at least one arc.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:12 am

theherodjl wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:28 amGoku said he isn't a "hero of justice" so they should stop putting him in that functional role for at least one arc.
We'll have a better idea in 2 weeks, but it looks like Vegeta will be the hero of the Moro arc, or at least the main one.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:10 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:12 amWe'll have a better idea in 2 weeks, but it looks like Vegeta will be the hero of the Moro arc, or at least the main one.
I certainly hope so. Vegeta is typically the guy who just warms-up the villain for Goku or finishes off Goku's sloppy-seconds.
That sounded way more sexual than I intended...

chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:29 am

I like Vegeta, felt he has the most character development.
Changed from a complete villain to a good father and husband.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:57 am

I'll be genuinely surprised if this ever actually happens.

Goku will be the one to take down Moro despite all the build up because that's the status quo.

Vegeta will almost definitely do something really impressive, he may even briefly outshine Goku, but I can't see it being anyone but Goku actually beating Moro because status quo is king.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:35 am

Akyon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:57 amGoku will be the one to take down Moro despite all the build up because that's the status quo.
The status quo that everyone working on the franchise won't let go of is easily the biggest thing holding modern DB back from reaching its full potential.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:07 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:35 am
Akyon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:57 amGoku will be the one to take down Moro despite all the build up because that's the status quo.
The status quo that everyone working on the franchise won't let go of is easily the biggest thing holding modern DB back from reaching its full potential.
Completely agree. The franchise could be far more interesting if we got some better twists.

At current even with everyone getting spotlight moments, which are great btw (I really don't want Dragonball to be just Goku) it ultimately has come down to the same old formulaic storytelling for arc after arc and what little tension or intrigue the show has, which is little to begin with thanks to death being meaningless to begin with, is removed.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:14 am

There probably will be some twist with Moro at the end. Hopefully it'll be better executed and received than the twist at the end of the Zamasu arc. I don't even think Moro will be defeated classic DBZ style with a ki blast that disintegrates him, he might get a more original ending. Maybe going back to prison or something.