Is it time to accept Faulconer OST did it better than the original?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: Is it time to accept Faulconer OST did it better than the original?

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:49 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:56 pm This is where you lose me. Music is needed, but what the Faulconer score does is not needed? Because "the visuals exist"?
Correct. What the Falconer score does as music is redundant in my opinion. Just because music is needed doesn't mean the music produced can't be inadequate, or redundant, or otherwise not work for what the show needs most. It all depends on the material. For me, in the context of Dragon Ball, what the Falconer score does is redundant and inadequate for the show.
You're still saying "the show already conveys this through some non-musical way, therefore, x music isn't needed."
What I've been saying is "the show already adequately conveys this through some non-musical way, therefore, it's unnecessary for x music to focus on this and instead should have focused on more important elements."
More important elements existing doesn't mean the less important elements don't need music.
Again, I never said otherwise; just that the Falconer score redundantly takes those less important elements and makes them the primary focus; again, to the detriment of those more important elements.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:58 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:48 pm What's cool changes from person to person.
As does any aesthetic quality you may find in an artistic medium.

Care to give an example?
I think this song is meaningful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsTd10HaD5s

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:15 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:49 pm
What the Falconer score does as music is redundant in my opinion. Just because music is needed doesn't mean the music produced can't be inadequate, or redundant, or otherwise not work for what the show needs most.
Saying it's inadequate is one thing. Saying it's redundant is another. But I guess they're both fair opinions either way.

What I've been saying is "the show already adequately conveys this through some non-musical way, therefore, it's unnecessary for x music to focus on this and instead should have focused on more important elements."
So theoretically, a given fiction can convey more meaningful qualities without the need for music? Just Dragon Ball isn't one of them and therefore needs the Japanese tracks?

Again, I never said otherwise; just that the Falconer score redundantly takes those less important elements and makes them the primary focus; again, to the detriment of those more important elements.
Okay. I guess what you're saying is the "coolness" of Dragon Ball is already obvious, where as other qualities are not and need the aid of music to convey them.

Fair enough if that's the case.

I don't think coolness is necessarily less important than other qualities though. I think the real problem is, the Faulconer soundtrack specifically is an overall more shallow soundtrack than the Japanese soundtrack. I think this holds true even with Faulconer tracks that attempt to convey things like sadness, drama, seriousness etc... which, it has plenty of those. The Japanese tracks just plainly do it better.

I don't think coolness in the most general sense, is inherently more shallow than these other qualities though. Especially for young kids watching. It can inspire confidence, self-esteem, and motivation in an impressionable youth, and it can do it for adults too.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:08 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:15 pmI don't think coolness in the most general sense, is inherently more shallow than these other qualities though. Especially for young kids watching. It can inspire confidence, self-esteem, and motivation in an impressionable youth, and it can do it for adults too.
Sure, given how ill defined the term is, I guess it could, though I don't really see how, and I think you are reaching on that point.
As does any aesthetic quality you may find in an artistic medium.
But it's not clear unlike emotions an artist might try to convey like sadness or love or terror. They might not hit the mark, but at least they have the benefit of being clear and not dependent on trends.
I think this song is meaningful.
Not remotely helpful
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:48 pm

The main issue beyond all the bullshit is simple. Funimation, an American company, dared to think they new better then the people who ACTUALLY made the anime. They even did this long after replacement scores were unpopular. I don’t get how anyone in this community can be for the blatant Americanism and how fucking problematic it is.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:01 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:48 pm The main issue beyond all the bullshit is simple. Funimation, an American company, dared to think they new better then the people who ACTUALLY made the anime. They even did this long after replacement scores were unpopular. I don’t get how anyone in this community can be for the blatant Americanism and how fucking problematic it is.
Slight nitpick here. They stopped doing replacement scores in 2007, and I'd say it wasn't until a few years back that it became more common for kid's anime dubs to retain the original music.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:19 am

ABED wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:08 pm
I think you are reaching on that point.
Well, I'm not trying to reach.

'Coolness' is often intimately associated with qualities of confidence, composure, competence, capability and general things to admire. It's also a synonym of spectacular (as in, things that are a spectacle). Kids, especially young boys, tend to admire things they find cool. It's all over things like Hip-Hop culture (hence the song example).

Goku powers up to Super Saiyan. Que awesome sounding music. Kids go awe over the spectacle. They admire him, want to be like him, and are inspired by him.

But it's not clear unlike emotions an artist might try to convey like sadness or love or terror. They might not hit the mark, but at least they have the benefit of being clear and not dependent on trends.
Of course it's not clear. You listen to a classical orchestra with no lyrics, is it clear what it's trying to convey? Or are you gonna have a subjective and emotional interpretation of it?

There isn't always a mark to be hit.

Not remotely helpful
What kind of example are you looking for?

The song conveys 'coolness' (it's literally in the title). The lyrics, rather explicitly, associate it with the aforementioned qualities.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:39 am

What if kids like Kikuchi? Literally outside the USA millions upon millions of chilren have loved the Kikuchi score?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:42 am

I agree, I like Faulconer 's OST more, too. For mostly the same reasons. That said, the original score isn't bad at all. Both are good, IMO, one is just better.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:30 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:19 amThere isn't always a mark to be hit.
In a film or TV score, you bet there is. Your classical music example isn't a good one because film and TV scores are by definition not ends in themselves. They are 1 part of a whole. They can be appreciated by themselves but they are made for the purpose of supporting something else.
Coolness' is often intimately associated with qualities of confidence, composure, competence, capability and general things to admire. It's also a synonym of spectacular (as in, things that are a spectacle). Kids, especially young boys, tend to admire things they find cool. It's all over things like Hip-Hop culture (hence the song example).
Then the score should convey those things because they are specific and apply to the story and characters.
Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:19 am What kind of example are you looking for?

The song conveys 'coolness' (it's literally in the title). The lyrics, rather explicitly, associate it with the aforementioned qualities.
Explain how it applies to your point. You just linked to it, as if it's self evident why that song is meaningful.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:52 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:39 am What if kids like Kikuchi? Literally outside the USA millions upon millions of chilren have loved the Kikuchi score?
Hey,

I was 6 back in 2010 when Kai was on. I watched it every week on The CW 4Kids. The music was great in my opinion, Yamamoto, and later Kikuchi after the scandal happened in 2011. When NickToons started airing movies 4-13, the TV Specials, and GT when I was 7, besides wondering when the Boo arc of Kai would come, I didn't like the music at all. Faulconer, Menza, or the "real bands" that they had do the soundtracks. At this point, I had already finished all of Kai via the Japanese version. After the Yamamoto scandal, Kai went on a 2-month hiatus on NickToons from March-May of 2011, I had gone to the internet and continued watching fansubbed Kai on illegal streaming sites after Episode 63 up until 98. After that, I watched some of the Saiyan arc of Z Sub and Dub when FUNi had full episodes from Hulu for free on dragonballz.com, furthering my love for Kikuchi. The ratings were pretty good as well, for a Saturday Morning show at 11am CT, in the millions if I remember seeing from one of your posts a few years ago. I've even converted some friends of mine from Faulconer to Kikuchi to Kai as well. Still trying to work on getting them on the Original Japanese Version for about Two Years...

So in short, In my opinion, many people here in the USA would have had no problem if Kikuchi was used all the way from 1995-2003. It's not like people watched the show for the music and it would have failed miserably without it *coughthessultimategokucough*. Even for us Kai babies, who experienced Kikuchi first, we got to know what Dragon Ball was supposed to sound like.
Sorry for the whole life story, I just like to tell my unique experience compared to others on the forum.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:05 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:48 pm The main issue beyond all the bullshit is simple. Funimation, an American company, dared to think they new better then the people who ACTUALLY made the anime. They even did this long after replacement scores were unpopular. I don’t get how anyone in this community can be for the blatant Americanism and how fucking problematic it is.
You see what I mean by “exceptionalism” don’t you?

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:51 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:05 pm
What the fuck are you on about? I mean I can’t tell if you’re agreeing with me or are pretending Americans DON’T make everything about them. If it’s the former, I apologize.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:31 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:30 am
In a film or TV score, you bet there is.
What specific emotion does this track unequivocally convey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDvRcUht7I

Then the score should convey those things because they are specific and apply to the story and characters.
I think some of Faulconer's tracks do. But you know.... interpretation.
Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:19 am
Explain how it applies to your point. You just linked to it, as if it's self evident why that song is meaningful.
The lyrics associate coolness with other qualities. Literally.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:33 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:51 pm
What the fuck are you on about? I mean I can’t tell if you’re agreeing with me or are pretending Americans DON’T make everything about them. If it’s the former, I apologize.
Read through the previous page on the thread and you'll see that it's indeed the former.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:31 pm What specific emotion does this track unequivocally convey?
It's a battle theme, so it could mean tension, anxiety, excitement, etc.

Also, you keep bringing up music that isn't score. Score's inherently different in that it's meant specifically to help a story, it's not the end in itself.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:52 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:48 pm
Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:31 pm What specific emotion does this track unequivocally convey?
"Could mean" i.e. an interpretation.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:53 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:52 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:48 pm
"Could mean". i.e. an interpretation.
It's battle so it's not interpretation, it also depends on how it's placed. What's the story of the scene? Not an interpretation, at least not on the part of the viewer.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:05 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:51 pm
GhostEmperorX wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:05 pm
That's not solely unique to Americans though, we've also been seeing a lot of that in the U.K. ever since this whole Brexit nonsense started.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:21 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:53 pm
It's battle so it's not interpretation
Your previous answer was an interpretation. And "battle" is not an emotion, and you only know it's about battle from the title, not the track alone.

It also depends on how it's placed. What's the story of the scene?
You can literally make the same point with the Faulconer track.

And an entire scene with its music, will still often be unclear with what emotions its trying to convey.

Not an interpretation, but thanks for playing.
I'm not trying to be condescending dude. Saying something "could be" under this contexts, basically means you're having an interpretation. Your answer to what emotions the track itself conveyed, was an interpretation. It wasn't a "this track objectively conveys these emotions" type answer.