The DBZ Live Action Movie is back!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:25 pm

I fear the whole hollywoodization process. I just know it would go down the same road as Double Dragon and Mario Bros. I can see it now... several directors working on the cluttered mess, insane casting (Brendan as Goku, Willem Defoe as Vegeta, Christopher Walken as Cell, DMX as Piccolo), a futuristic post-apocalyptic urban backdrops, and none of the characters look ANYTHING even REMOTELY like their manga counterpart. I also don't need to see Goku and Vegeta in black leather suits at any point in my lifetime.

When it inevitably fails, the saga must be finished on the low-budget home video market, with Dolph Lundgren taking over as Goku and Stephen Baldwin as Yamcha.

I'll just hold out for the Broadway musical.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:31 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5140

More on the DBZ movie... you should probably read this.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:48 pm

I found nothing from their source concerning this... And why would they say they found this news and they say Peter Kang himself told them this?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:59 pm

I fear the whole hollywoodization process. I just know it would go down the same road as Double Dragon and Mario Bros. I can see it now... several directors working on the cluttered mess, insane casting (Brendan as Goku, Willem Defoe as Vegeta, Christopher Walken as Cell, DMX as Piccolo), a futuristic post-apocalyptic urban backdrops, and none of the characters look ANYTHING even REMOTELY like their manga counterpart. I also don't need to see Goku and Vegeta in black leather suits at any point in my lifetime.
Lest we forget the Hell that were Street Fighter and Fist of the North Star.
Well... at least Raul Julia was good as Bison...

And Viz once said Spielberg was working on a live-action Lupin III movie to be released in 2004 (this was back in 2003)... but there's no sign of it yet.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:15 pm

The S wrote: And Viz once said Spielberg was working on a live-action Lupin III movie.
That at least is a believable rumor. James Cameron's wanted to do Gunnm for so long that when it looked like he wouldn't get the rights he turned and "created" Dark Angel. Now he's got the rights, but he's lost the urge to make them. He's said he wants to do at least two movies: the Yugo arc and the Rollerball-wannabe arc. That's 4 out of 9 books right there.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:29 am

PsyLiam wrote:I don't think you quite get what "cel-shading" means, do you?
No, no. By animated I ment 2D Anime, traditional. Cel-shaded would be 3D stuff.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:54 am

Xyex wrote:No, no. By animated I ment 2D Anime, traditional. Cel-shaded would be 3D stuff.
I figured that's what you meant, but "Cel-Shading" refers to the actual way the anime was drawn and colored on cels. "Cel-Shading" has become a name in the video gaming community for graphics that mimic this animated look.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:58 am

This movie needs to come out since it has the chance to surprise us or the chance to give us a well needed laugh.

I mean, I honestly don't think it can annoy you unless you take it too seriously, and something with Live Action and Dragonball Z in close proximity is already in the realm of the wacky.

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:17 am

I could see a Lupin III movie, it seems a less expensive and could appeal to the masses a bit better.

IMHO, if FOX was smart they'd do a YYH live action movie instead. They can explain the spirit powers quite easily and probably compact all the way to the end of the Dark Tournament in a 3 hour movie and it would prolly look good with the special effects and martial arts. DBZ is far too risky since personally I think it's going down the tubes. Toonami is only showing DBGT and the educated fans aren't watching it and the "dubbies" are either drooling or going "WTF" while they watch it.

I think Dragonball as a whole has seen better days and tht FOX should make a live action based on something the kids are still watching like YYH or Inuyasha. I mean it worked with Pokemon, right? Kids knew about it and dragged their parents to see it, the same can be said if they do it right.
"It's all fun and games til someone spills the mayonnaise." -Edd from Ed, Edd, and Eddy

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:40 am

But that was a Pokemon animated movie (or movies), made by the same people who made the TV show, and dubbed by the same people who made the TV show. It's a bit of a different situation.

And I'd kill to see Christopher Walken as Cell. And Tom Baker as Kame Sen'nin.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:54 am

I like Christopher Walken too, but what makes you think he could play Cell? :?

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:37 pm

*RING RING RING*

And then I woke up and it turned out everything I ever heard about a live action DBZ movie, regardless of whether it will be poor, decent or kick-ass, just turned out to be a bad bad dream.
The End

...is my current ultimate wish.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:35 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:*RING RING RING*

And then I woke up and it turned out everything I ever heard about a live action DBZ movie, regardless of whether it will be poor, decent or kick-ass, just turned out to be a bad bad dream.
The End

...is my current ultimate wish.
Sorry for going off-topic. Well, actually no I'm not. But I was just wondering, omae no kassan, if I know my Japanese well enough (which means almost not at all), does your nick mean "Omae's mother"? If so, did you ever read "The Strong Breed" by any chance?

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:54 pm

"Omae no kaasan" means "Your mother". Basically, he insults us with each and every message he types. :D

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:23 pm

B-kun wrote:"Omae no kaasan" means "Your mother". Basically, he insults us with each and every message he types. :D
I see. And here I was thinking he read fancy-dancy litterature. :x

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:12 pm

Christopher Walken would not make a good Cell. Maybe Frieza...dunno. He might make a decent someone who goes on a long speech. How about this: Master Roshi as played by Christoper Walken? :P
"It's all fun and games til someone spills the mayonnaise." -Edd from Ed, Edd, and Eddy

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:14 pm

Tom Baker, Tom Baker, Tom Baker.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:22 pm

I say Bob Barker should be Kamesennin. :D

SpiritBomb
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SpiritBomb » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:11 am

DBZ cant be un-cool if that thing was walkin around. People would be really freaked out,even non-anime lovers by him. I really do hope Piccolo is a darker green though...

I feel like I should stab myself for saying this, but now I wouldint mind it so much if they made a live-action movie...I think.
Some day, you'll be wishing for today.

http://gogocookiedough.blogspot.com/

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:19 am

SpiritBomb wrote: I feel like I should stab myself for saying this, but now I wouldint mind it so much if they made a live-action movie...I think.
Don't be. With a good script it should actually be pretty easy to make a good DB-themed movie. The only problem is that it sounds impossible to make a good ACTUAL DB movie. Our problem is that we're seeing it through the eyes of purists. We can't enjoy a live action movie like MK fans enjoyed the Mortal Kombat movie.