Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by UI Peter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:49 am

- Toyotaro is a horrible writer and should have never been chosen as Toriyama's successor.

- Most of the worst things about Modern DB is Toriyama's fault and fans really need to stop making excuses for him.

- Z Broly (at least in the 8th film) is actually underrated, and isn't as bad of a character as his detractors make him out to be.

- If you were to take each saga's depiction of a character as a separate character, then Buu Saga Vegeta is easily the greatest written character in the whole franchise.

- Shallot & Android 21 are better characters than 99% of the canon modern characters (anyone introduced since Battle of Gods) and 90% of the classic cast.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:30 am

UI Peter wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:49 am - Z Broly (at least in the 8th film) is actually underrated, and isn't as bad of a character as his detractors make him out to be.
I've got no issue with 8th Broly, what messed up his image was how he was written in the 2 sequels.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:48 am

i mean broli isn't even in movie 11 really, so i don't see how you can say that he was written badly in it, unless you just mean it kinda diminished his character, which i can sorta see.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:16 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:48 amUnless you just mean it kinda diminished his character, which i can sorta see.
This. I don't know why they didn't just come up with someone original for M11 instead. I understand bringing him and Cooler back once, but twice ? It also doesn't help his second movie was nowhere near as good as the first, yet they somehow made his 3rd movie worse than both.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:13 am

UI Peter wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:49 am Buu Saga Vegeta is easily the greatest written character in the whole franchise.
The guy who killed thousands of people just to fight Goku, and refused to fuse with Goku against Kid Buu which almost cost their lifes? Yeah no. Buu Saga Vegeta is overrated as hell.

The best written character was Buu saga Mr Satan.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:17 am

Movies, specials, and OVAs are best when they are viewed between the episodes that aired at the time of their release.

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:33 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:13 am
UI Peter wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:49 am Buu Saga Vegeta is easily the greatest written character in the whole franchise.
The guy who killed thousands of people just to fight Goku, and refused to fuse with Goku against Kid Buu which almost cost their lifes? Yeah no. Buu Saga Vegeta is overrated as hell.

All of that was in character, and he made similar decisions in the previous arcs of Z, so your argument doesn't work.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:06 pm

UI Peter wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:33 pm
DestructoDisc wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:13 am

All of that was in character, and he made similar decisions in the previous arcs of Z, so your argument doesn't work.
It being in character doesn't automatically mean that it was also good, let alone the best character writing of the entire franchise.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:39 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:16 am
Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:48 amunless you just mean it kinda diminished his character, which i can sorta see.
This. I don't know why they didn't just come up with someone original for M11 instead. I understand bringing him and Cooler back once, but twice ? It also doesn't help his second movie was nowhere near as good as the first, yet they somehow made his 3rd movie worse than both.
i actually think movie 11 is the best of the broli movies honestly. movie 8 and 10 definitely look way better, but movie 8 honestly drags like crazy for me and a lot of stuff feels really clumsy, and movie 10 is so weirdly like insanely unfunny and also incredibly boring after videl leaves the plot. it's not my least favorite or anything like it used to be, but it's definitely my least favorite of the back half z movies.

movie 11, i get people's issues with it to some extent, but i think it's a lot funnier, the characters aren't nearly as flat as they are in 8 and 10, and any movie that has boo arc #18 doing stuff is great.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:00 am

Always loved GT kid Goku.

The fact that he keeps being strong, despite reverting back into a kid and villains always wondering how a "kid" could be so powerful amuses me. He also has the best gi.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:40 pm

Not sure if anyone else has said this but I often feel like I'm alone in this opinion: I much prefer DBZ Kai (At least the Saiyan-Cell portion with the Yamamoto score) to DBZ. This is probably because I grew up watching Kai on Nicktoons when I was a kid so nostalgia is a big part. Plus I just prefer dubs over subs, and Kai's dub is a vast improvement to Z's in almost everyway (Except for maybe those early re-dubbed episodes in the first 2 and a half seasons).
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:50 pm

Woodlandbuckle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:40 pm Not sure if anyone else has said this but I often feel like I'm alone in this opinion: I much prefer DBZ Kai (At least the Saiyan-Cell portion with the Yamamoto score) to DBZ.
I completely agree with you. Z is simply too long and dragged out for me to ever watch it again. Kai has issues, but it's by far a better option for me.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:57 am

Woodlandbuckle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:40 pm Not sure if anyone else has said this but I often feel like I'm alone in this opinion: I much prefer DBZ Kai (At least the Saiyan-Cell portion with the Yamamoto score) to DBZ. This is probably because I grew up watching Kai on Nicktoons when I was a kid so nostalgia is a big part. Plus I just prefer dubs over subs, and Kai's dub is a vast improvement to Z's in almost every way (Except for maybe those early re-dubbed episodes in the first 2 and a half seasons).
I agree. Though I need to watch the first 3 arcs of Z in their entireties (I've only seen portions), I think Kai is definitely the way to go. Though the editing together of the first handful of episodes is a bit janky, the tighter pacing & the English dub far outpace Z's. Like, Kai's not perfect, especially in the redrawn shots & TFC not cutting out as much of the filler that it should've, but I'd rather watch it than Z when rewatching the series. Not only that, but the dub's just fun & mostly pitch perfect. You can tell the cast & Sabat as director had a blast returning to the material to give it a proper dub the second time. Then The Final Chapters just feels like a proper victory lap dub-wise.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:05 am

I like Kai but I don't feel the musical score fits at all, though the reused tracks in Super fit much better for that show in my opinion.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:08 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:50 pm
Woodlandbuckle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:40 pm Not sure if anyone else has said this but I often feel like I'm alone in this opinion: I much prefer DBZ Kai (At least the Saiyan-Cell portion with the Yamamoto score) to DBZ.
I completely agree with you. Z is simply too long and dragged out for me to ever watch it again. Kai has issues, but it's by far a better option for me.
I can understand that viewpoint, though personally for me I could never get onboard with Kai as too many characters got shortchanged when it came to character development.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Boured

Post by Boured » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:15 am

Dragon Ball GT is unironically good to me, sure its a narrative mess and I dont enjoy goku being a kid. But its most likely cause I find really dumb stuff entertaining.

BOOM PARA PARA BOOM PARA PARA
"If you'll let me, I'll never leave you."

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:27 am

Moro is fine.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:31 pm

The moro arc was fucking awesome until this chapter

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:36 pm

BagetaSama wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:31 pm The moro arc was fucking awesome until this chapter
I havent heard this hot take since four days after the chapter came out!

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:21 pm

JewyB wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:36 pm
BagetaSama wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:31 pm The moro arc was fucking awesome until this chapter
I havent heard this hot take since four days after the chapter came out!
Are you saying it is a common opinion or something?