"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Psajdak » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:55 am

Last three movies all sort of started during Goku, and Vegetas training...

If we are talking about mastering UI, it really shouldnt need Moro arc animated, as much as I personally wouldnt mind it.

Not to mention, as it was shown with Tights, and Jaco who never got their own anime, its possible for Toei to kind of expext fans to be familiar with manga.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:46 am

I can see the next movie taking place before the Moro arc, as Toriyama was likely in the planning stages for it as soon as Broly was completed. And since the Moro arc won't be adapted to the anime anytime soon, it would make sense for the next story to take place before it.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:22 pm

The Digimon reboot is scheduled for 66 episodes so it should end in August or September. Any news if Toei is working on another anime that could take its timeslot? It might be announced at Jump Festa since it hasn't been revealed which franchises will have panels there this year.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:22 pm

There is the key to all this, Digimon.

Digimon has to finish in August - September of next year and its place will be taken by another new production from Toei Animation.

Can it be Super? It may be, it is another Toei Animation production. It could also be a new Bobobo anime whose anniversary is this year.

What is 100% certain is that Digimon's place will not be occupied by World Trigger or Dragon Quest Dai. These 2 series have their assigned channels and will have been broadcasting on their respective channels for many months.

The anime that replaces Digimon will be a new production.
Also keep in mind that last year Toei had the movie One Piece Stampede in production. This year Digimon Last Kizuna and in January and February of next year Sailor Moon Eternal. That means that from February with the premiere of the movie 2 of Sailor Moon Toei will no longer have any film in production of this type.

What does this mean? That the possibility of making a Dragon Ball movie is quite real.

The new series could also be made but we have already seen the poor quality of Digimon after its first 3 episodes due to Toei outsourcing studios for this production. This means that if the animation is done, it may not have the necessary quality today.

However, Dai's production schedule is being extraordinarily good and 20 episodes have been produced ahead of its broadcast, with animators who have participated in One Piece and Dai.

Maybe that great calendar will make them participate in the Super anime.

Remember also that next year is the 35th anniversary of the Dragon Ball anime and maybe they give us a surprise in the form of a movie or series.

Nothing is known but the possibility of a new movie or series is real. Toei has to produce an anime to replace Digimon and on the subject of film production they also remain free to produce a new one for Dragon Ball.

Hopefully we will know something in the next few months. If it's a movie hopefully we'll know something at Jumo Festa.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:34 am

I think one of two things has been decided by the powers at be when it comes to DB's future on television:

Worst case scenario: They've decided that DB is big enough to sustain it self with a movie every 3-4 years, and that an anime isn't needed.

Best case scenario: They've realized that DB deserves a respectable anime, and they won't commit to one unless they're sure they can put out a quality series.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:58 am

I don't know why they can't simply do a 26 episode Dragonball season like regular anime. Dragonball doesn't have to air non-stop all year round, a single 26 episode season can cover an entire arc with no filler and be a condensed run.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:18 am

precita wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:58 am I don't know why they can't simply do a 26 episode Dragonball season like regular anime. Dragonball doesn't have to air non-stop all year round, a single 26 episode season can cover an entire arc with no filler and be a condensed run.
If they were to do that, we'd find out about it at jump festa due to the Moro arc ending within the next chapter or two.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:40 pm

We probably aren't going to get anything for Jump Festa, but that shouldn't stop someone from asking what the deal is when they do a Q&A.

Why didn't anyone do that last year?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:46 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:40 pm We probably aren't going to get anything for Jump Festa, but that shouldn't stop someone from asking what the deal is when they do a Q&A.

Aren't those Q&A usually controlled ? As in certain questions being off limits ?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:06 pm

Wait a few more years and you may get it in color, looks pretty good actually. :mrgreen:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:33 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:06 pm Wait a few more years and you may get it in color, looks pretty good actually. :mrgreen:
This should've turned into a dragon fist, ending the arc then and there.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:10 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:33 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:06 pm Wait a few more years and you may get it in color, looks pretty good actually. :mrgreen:
This should've turned into a dragon fist, ending the arc then and there.

Whether you like what Toyotaro delivers at the moment or not, it's the only thing concerning the main continuation that we can look forward too 'waiting around the corner'. Even if you don't like (the ending of) the Moro arc: new story, new chances are coming up.
Not animated, that's the way it is. I wouldn't advice people to not read the manga, only because there might be an adaptation someday and they want to keep it all a big surprise untill then. Too uncertain.

As long as the manga keeps on going, opportunities of the anime returning are still higher than when the story was not continuing.
I only wouldn't count on it, you can only try to make the best of what we have right now.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:43 pm

I remember an interview around the time Super was airing where Nozawa said she wanted Super to go on for like 700 episodes... it might sound like wishful thinking, but I always got the impression that these people working on the anime genuinely want it to go on for a long time. Therefore, I strongly doubt they will literally ditch the anime to focus only on movies. That's so unlikely, especially since the anime is very popular and the main media fans are exposed to.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:45 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:46 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:40 pm We probably aren't going to get anything for Jump Festa, but that shouldn't stop someone from asking what the deal is when they do a Q&A.

Aren't those Q&A usually controlled ? As in certain questions being off limits ?
I'm not sure. I can't remember when it was, but didn't someone ask about it a year ago?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:49 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:43 pm I remember an interview around the time Super was airing where Nozawa said she wanted Super to go on for like 700 episodes... it might sound like wishful thinking, but I always got the impression that these people working on the anime genuinely want it to go on for a long time. Therefore, I strongly doubt they will literally ditch the anime to focus only on movies. That's so unlikely, especially since the anime is very popular and the main media fans are exposed to.
I wouldn't be surprised if Toei wants Dragonball to run indefinitely similar to Pokemon or The Simpsons, and just go on non-stop for years and decades.

Problem with Dragonball is it's serialized and depends heavily on story arcs, so unless they come up with good ideas, the show would get very repetitive and stale fast or fall into the same trap GT fell into. Keeping Dragonball around just for bad sagas/story arcs isn't ideal, so who knows what they'll do.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:00 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:43 pm I remember an interview around the time Super was airing where Nozawa said she wanted Super to go on for like 700 episodes... it might sound like wishful thinking, but I always got the impression that these people working on the anime genuinely want it to go on for a long time. Therefore, I strongly doubt they will literally ditch the anime to focus only on movies. That's so unlikely, especially since the anime is very popular and the main media fans are exposed to.

Normally, that is also the commercial logic: the anime returns and afterwards all new characters (Moro etc) are featured in all other derived merchandise products: games, figures ... That seems like the logic and the most profitable strategy. But that requires 1 thing: investment.
It costs a lot to make a new fulltime DB anime, which is very time- en staff robbing in order to do it well, especially with that many fight scenes, for which the new standard (set in final episodes TOP and movie Broly) lies even higher than when Super 1 was airing.
The franchise undoubtedly has that money, but if it is so financially necessary for the anime to return, why is it not yet back? It should have been back long ago in that case. As an explanation, you may have to look in the direction of a "tent pole strategy", in which the franchise does not necessarily invest the money they earn with DB, which is quite a lot, but can also simply invest in other products (Dragon Quest, Digimon ..).

Those products are important to the Japanese market, and any direct revenue from TV ads is more guaranteed for those products. An anime for DB is, we admit, much illegally streamed worldwide. A lot of potential income is therefore lost.
Movie ticket sales generate a certain amount of income for a worldwide franchise like DB. The return of investment is higher.
That in combination with a long-lasting manga and a side product such as DB Heroes keeps the sales of the existing merchandise rolling.

That is perhaps a more commercially interesting strategy for TOEI / Bandai if they want to invest further in other products that are specifically important for Japan. We have no way of knowing what is being decided there in the board of directors and what the exact interests and priorities are.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:37 pm

I don't think the Moro saga will be adapted because it is being marked as a "Manga Exclusive". It won't surprise me if Toei already had their story for Super's return already plan out before the Moro saga begin in the manga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:34 pm

I can't imagine the Moro arc NOT being adapted, because some of its story beats are very serious (for example Moro being a low angel-level threat). It just isn't a filler arc that you can skip over. What's likely to happen, if they don't want to adapt the Moro arc, is that they will still come up with a serious arc in which Goku hones his mastery of Ultra Instinct to defeat a formidable angel-level foe.

I also wouldn't mind a complete reimagining of the character of Moro. They could maintain his appearance, but they could overhaul his personality and motivations so that they are not so one-dimensional, as well as giving him an actual backstory. I imagine that'd be much easier to do in a visual medium, especially since Moro would have a voice actor, who could add further depth to the character.

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Interesting news!
It may well be that it has nothing to do with the return of the anime series or a movie but it is something interesting! Shueisha registered this new web domain at the end of September:
http://dragon-ball-official.com/

https://twitter.com/kamisamaexp/status/ ... 63424?s=20

I repeat that it may not have to do with a new animated project. It could be a new video game from the franchise or another product. What is clear that if it is a new animated project it cannot be a series today, it makes more sense that it is a movie that is announced at the Jump Festa and hence the web.

We will see if there is any announcement in the next few weeks :D

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:02 am

Nanatsu88 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:53 pm Interesting news!
It may well be that it has nothing to do with the return of the anime series or a movie but it is something interesting! Shueisha registered this new web domain at the end of September:
http://dragon-ball-official.com/

https://twitter.com/kamisamaexp/status/ ... 63424?s=20

I repeat that it may not have to do with a new animated project. It could be a new video game from the franchise or another product. What is clear that if it is a new animated project it cannot be a series today, it makes more sense that it is a movie that is announced at the Jump Festa and hence the web.

We will see if there is any announcement in the next few weeks :D
Both Fighetz and Kakarot were announced around Jump Festa, so it might be the new game.