"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:07 pm

Since I heard that his chapter might be this arc finale, I actually bothered to read this time.

You know Super biggest failure (in general) is being a midquel, because we already know by the end of the original work these people will be fine. Not only that saps the tension, but also having characters like Beerus and Whis in the sidelines. Sure they don't want to involve in mortals conflicts, but still is kinda sh*tty having thoughts that they could solve anything, anytime they want! I mean look to Whis making no effort at all to block Moro's punch. That's just ridiculous! I could ignore the fact no one important would die for good (because EoZ), if we actually had villains that pushed Beerus or Whis to use the full extend of their power. Such a f**king mess.

So Pure Boo inherited Dai Kaioshin Godly Ki in his pure state, but not actually Fat Boo who absorbed the guy? What a dumb retcon to make Oob relevant to the plot when powerwise he actually isn't.

Anyway the only thing that I enjoyed and I said before is the whole Moro planet form thing. Fighting a planet is actually unique in this series (okay we had something similar with Goku vs. Rildo in Planet M-2, but that roughly 24 years ago!) also Goku having a giant projection of himself made by Ki/Energy/God is such a random stuff, but f**k it! I'll pass this one, it was really cool lol
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

TeeHallums

Post by TeeHallums » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:11 pm

kei17 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:06 pm
TeeHallums wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:32 pm Not only is this correction wrong and improves nothing, but Toriyama is like... near famous at this point for his litany of anatomical mistakes. I mean dont get me wrong, Toriyama is a much more accomplished artist than Toyotaro, and Toyo has a laundry list of artistic failings. But running around and blindly bashing his stylistic choices with invalid solutions is obviously no good.

Honestly, this is yet another case of conflating objective anatomy with style. If were going on a strict anatomical level, the majority of the DB manga is totally off. The DB "Style" is littered with these sorts of """"problems"""", but they're not even problems, they're stylistic quirks.
I don't call blatantly dislocated shoulders a "stylistic quirk." It doesn't even look right at a glance. Toyo drew Goku's shoulders from a horizontal point of view and then mistakenly drew the rest of his body in a lower angle. Toriyama knew what he was doing and his "quirks" can be considered a result of his stylistic choices because they look right at a glance and succeed in emphasizing what he wanted to show us. Toyo simply doesn't have a clue about human anatomy and keeps failing at drawing any characters. That's what I've been seeing so far.

Except theres nothing anatomically incorrect about this shoulder/arm. Theres this thing called moving your shoulders from a neutral position when gesturing a thumbs up. Having consulted all of my actual professional artist mutuals, since I hardly trust myself 100%, none of them found anything particularly wrong with this panel.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:13 pm

Noah wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:07 pmSo Pure Boo inherited Dai Kaioshin Godly Ki in his pure state, but not actually Fat Boo who absorbed the guy?
The Buu arc showed us the splitting of Buu and his power, with most of it not left in the Fat Buu. Why would simply following through on that be an unreasonable plot decision?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:17 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:06 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:40 pmI wanted Vegeta to give the final blow.
Someone pointed out a few days ago that maybe Moro will go back to his goat form and Vegeta will put him down.

I would not be surprised at all we will see a wrecked and wrinkled old goat Moro next chapter, pulling himself from under the debris.
Vegeta can put him down, or may the Grand Kaioshin turn him into candy and eat him?
Moro finally absorbed. *Burb*

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:24 pm

I love what they did with Uub in this chapter, I can't wait to see what they have planned for him. I could see him becoming the main character later with Goku and Vegeta becoming hands off mentor type characters.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm

TeeHallums wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:11 pm Except theres nothing anatomically incorrect about this shoulder/arm. Theres this thing called moving your shoulders from a neutral position when gesturing a thumbs up. Having consulted all of my actual professional artist mutuals, since I hardly trust myself 100%, none of them found anything particularly wrong with this panel.
It would have been fine enough if the left part of his trapezius were not drawn this largely. It shows how he first started to draw Goku falling forward a little but messed up the rest of his body. Also it doesn't help that the right breast is relaxed. It makes hard for me to assume he is lifting his right shoulder. In short, he is an unskilled artist.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:27 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:17 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:06 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:40 pmI wanted Vegeta to give the final blow.
Someone pointed out a few days ago that maybe Moro will go back to his goat form and Vegeta will put him down.

I would not be surprised at all we will see a wrecked and wrinkled old goat Moro next chapter, pulling himself from under the debris.
Vegeta can put him down, or may the Grand Kaioshin turn him into candy and eat him?
Moro finally absorbed. *Burb*
Vegeta deserves to finish him off, but it'd be funny if they had Jaco do it, he would become the Mister Satan of the Galactic Patrol

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:29 pm

kei17 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm
TeeHallums wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:11 pm Except theres nothing anatomically incorrect about this shoulder/arm. Theres this thing called moving your shoulders from a neutral position when gesturing a thumbs up. Having consulted all of my actual professional artist mutuals, since I hardly trust myself 100%, none of them found anything particularly wrong with this panel.
It would have been fine enough if the left part of his trapezius were not drawn this largely. It shows how he first started to draw Goku falling forward a little but messed up the rest of his body. Also it doesn't help that the right breast is relaxed. It makes hard for me to assume he is lifting his right shoulder. In short, he is an unskilled artist.
I'm glad I'm not able to recognize this sort of stuff, it would kill my enjoyment. To my untrained eye his art looks great.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:34 pm

So Uub got the power of Evil Buu and Dai Kaioshin???

Could you imagine if Uub merged with Mr. Buu like he did in GT? He would get the rest of Dai Kai and Buu? He'd have an op base ki and an op divine ki. Now I get why a UI Goku would want to train him to reach his peak potential.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:39 pm

I'm not a big fan of gigantamax Goku, but i liked this chapter. We finally reached the end and i'm hyped to know more about the new saga!
I think the next sketches will show us how this saga truly ends, after that we'll see the new saga in the second half of the chapter :thumbup:

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:47 pm

Noah wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:07 pm So Pure Boo inherited Dai Kaioshin Godly Ki in his pure state, but not actually Fat Boo who absorbed the guy? What a dumb retcon to make Oob relevant to the plot when powerwise he actually isn't.
Well The Pure Buu that Goku killed was at one point part of Fat Buu. When the two split, Fat Buu got his appearance and given by this arc his techniques by the fact that the Grand Supreme Kai could use Kai-Kai in Buu’s body. But Kid Buu simply received that raw power and potential which got reincarnated into uub.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Galan007 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:52 am Anyone have an explanation as to what Goku's avatar construct was, exactly?

That's one thing I really didn't understand. :?
Quoting another media, obviously.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/fd1af0111b7 ... 1_400.gifv
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:33 pm

Was I the only one who thought Goku was going to pull out the Dragon Fist at one point?

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:38 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:33 pm Was I the only one who thought Goku was going to pull out the Dragon Fist at one point?
Me too!! I’m actually surprised it didn’t happen.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm sorry I have to point that out.. right when the chapter seemed almost perfect.
can't be just a single time with fully original content, huh :cry:
It's probably just a nitpick from my side and it doesn't invalidate the chapter at all, but man.
Last edited by Xeogran on Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:38 pm

SSB's hair looks so much better without white

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:41 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:14 pm I'm sorry I have to point that out.. right when the chapter seemed almost perfect.
man there can't be just a single time with fully original content, huh :cry:
You don't think they should show Goku from the same angle twice?? I can't tell if you're being serious 🤔 😅

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:01 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:41 pm
Xeogran wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:14 pm I'm sorry I have to point that out.. right when the chapter seemed almost perfect.
You don't think they should show Goku from the same angle twice?? I can't tell if you're being serious 🤔 😅
It's not just the angle, the panel is cut at exactly the same part as the anime version. Body scratches right above his nipple in both versions, the three face scratches are in the same position too (both cheeks and forehead)

I would really be surprised if this Goku was drawn from a blank page. When you look at them side by side it's almost mirrored with some slight changes like cut blood and obviously the hole scar Moro left on him.

This is nitpicky but I'm also serious

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:09 pm

I unfortunately don't have a ton of time to talk about the chapter today, but I just wanted to say I loved this battle climax. Very well executed. The Oob/Dai Kaioshin bit did more for me than I would have thought.

PS: Moro will be back next chapter.
Last edited by batistabus on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Bastard.
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Bastard. » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:13 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:01 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:41 pm
It's not just the angle, the panel is cut at exactly the same part as the anime version. Body scratches right above his nipple in both versions, the three face scratches are in the same position too (both cheeks and forehead)

I would really be surprised if this Goku was drawn from a blank page. When you look at them side by side it's almost mirrored with some slight changes like cut blood and obviously the hole scar Moro left on him.

This is nitpicky but I'm also serious

This is not only extremely common but also expected. People can't just make new poses all the time so there's no issue at all in reusing poses, even if they are the same or close.