"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:19 pm

So, we've seen quite literally half a dozen panels from the next arc so far, and we're already getting the expressions of disappointment and the group opining on "now, y'see, the real problem with Dragon Ball Super is..."

Good grief. Bodes well for the future. :roll:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:19 pm So, we've seen quite literally half a dozen panels from the next arc so far, and we're already getting the expressions of disappointment and the group opining on "now, y'see, the real problem with Dragon Ball Super is..."

As a wise man once said, it really do be like that sometimes.
It's much too early to build up any kind of real opinion on the Granola stuff, since we know practically nothing about it. We don't know what Granola survived, we don't know what the 73 head stuff is (though it does make me wary). Having some reservations is fair, but passing actual judgment based on a teaser with just a few panels in it makes no sense.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:11 pm

I genuinely don't get the negativity espoused by some on this forum - fully recognize and respect criticism of any content but it seems people take one thing here and just run with it.

If you hate DBS so much, why watch/read it? I liked the Moro arc and I've said this before, I don't watch Dragonball for intricate plots, etc - Can we at least GET to the arc before we blast it to smithereens?

Would love to see a spin-off eventually, because it feels like anybody not named Goku or Vegeta (to a lesser extent) don't get any major screen time - and while I don't like that about dragonball I also know its been this way since basically the Cell Saga/Gohan's fight w/ Buu.

I would love to see a big arc where they all get split up and have to fight on their own, unlikely but a guy can dream. Also does Gohan not move merchandise? Hence the reason he's been stuck in ultimate form forever - feels like he's due for some different look but maybe only Goku and Vegeta move the merch (throw Piccolo in here too for that matter). I do wish they'd keep him in Piccolo's gi in the manga (and anime once it resumes), he doesn't look right IMO in Goku's, Piccolo is his teacher after all. Or give him his own.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:44 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:19 pm So, we've seen quite literally half a dozen panels from the next arc so far, and we're already getting the expressions of disappointment and the group opining on "now, y'see, the real problem with Dragon Ball Super is..."

"GUYS WHAT IF DRAGON BALL WAS MORE LIKE MARVEL???" has to be my favorite bad take this month.

Christ.

Formerly Marlowe89.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:26 pm

The fandom being a bit concerned should be natural. The Moro arc has received a mixed reception in the fandom with most feeling negative about it than positive and we're now into another arc immediately after. While the anime might improve the Moro arc if it's ever adapted we can't say anything about that now because it simply doesn't exist yet, and a lot of people have problems with the writing of the manga lately and questioning Toriyama's input.

And the difference is you can't really ignore the direction of the manga since it's billed as an official canon continuation, and not just random non-canon stuff people can ignore like Heroes, the stories in the videogames, GT. etc. There's a reason people don't get angry over stuff that happens in Heroes or the other videogames simply because...it doesn't matter. It's non-canon stuff you can enjoy for fun or ignore. When something is an "official" continuation as part of the main canon it's a different story.

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DevilKing99 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Yuji wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:13 pm
Ziegander wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:03 pm Imagine if "the Dragon Room" were given even 1/20th the amount of funding that Marvel Comics as a whole publishing company gets and Shueisha started ordering multiple different manga set in the Dragon Ball universe that were allowed to explore places and stories apart from Goku and Vegeta's mainline Dragon Ball adventures. New writers, new artists, new books and a whole slate of interconnected narratives that expand the lore and focus on other characters. I for one think that it's past time for, at least, a Z-Fighters book, centered on Earth and on Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, sometimes 17 and 18, Yamcha, Tien and Chiaotsu, even Roshi and Bulma. There's so much wealth of storytelling they could tap back into with an Earth-centric book that's just being cast to the wayside right now.

But we could even get a book centering around the Universe 6 Saiyans, that would be sick, and another that centers around the Pride Troopers. The possibilities are literally limitless, but they either can't or won't go there.
I believe this may happen once Toriyama retires from writing Super and Toei/Shueisha take creative helm. We already see an exploration of the idea through Heroes' anime and manga. Toriyama himself seems far less concerned over exploring his world and more-so focused on telling concise, self-contained, character-driven stories, whilst Toei and Shueisha attempt to be far more ambitious in their own projects and stories (to varying degrees of results).
This pretty much.

As much I love Toriyama, he has no interest in developing his world or characters outside of Goku and Vegeta at all

And it's very easy to see.

Broly movie = NOBODY I REPEAT NOBODY besides Goku and Vegeta showed up to fight.

Moro arc = Vegeta and Goku are the only characters that have any development at all.

It's Bandai/Toei/Shueisa that likes to involve other characters and develop them.

Case in point do any of you care about ANY of Moro's henchmen? Can you say what any of the Z fighters did besides fight them very briefly and didn't do anything memorable during fights?

I haven't seen any fan art of any Moro goons or the Z Fighters fight with them.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:40 pm

precita wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:26 pm The Moro arc has received a mixed reception in the fandom with most feeling negative about it than positive
What is your evidence for this? It's at least very popular in the West. On the Manga Plus website, when you add the English and Spanish views, it's the second most read manga after Boruto.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:40 pm

DevilKing99 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:10 pm
Yuji wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:13 pm
Ziegander wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:03 pm Imagine if "the Dragon Room" were given even 1/20th the amount of funding that Marvel Comics as a whole publishing company gets and Shueisha started ordering multiple different manga set in the Dragon Ball universe that were allowed to explore places and stories apart from Goku and Vegeta's mainline Dragon Ball adventures. New writers, new artists, new books and a whole slate of interconnected narratives that expand the lore and focus on other characters. I for one think that it's past time for, at least, a Z-Fighters book, centered on Earth and on Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, sometimes 17 and 18, Yamcha, Tien and Chiaotsu, even Roshi and Bulma. There's so much wealth of storytelling they could tap back into with an Earth-centric book that's just being cast to the wayside right now.

But we could even get a book centering around the Universe 6 Saiyans, that would be sick, and another that centers around the Pride Troopers. The possibilities are literally limitless, but they either can't or won't go there.
I believe this may happen once Toriyama retires from writing Super and Toei/Shueisha take creative helm. We already see an exploration of the idea through Heroes' anime and manga. Toriyama himself seems far less concerned over exploring his world and more-so focused on telling concise, self-contained, character-driven stories, whilst Toei and Shueisha attempt to be far more ambitious in their own projects and stories (to varying degrees of results).
This pretty much.

As much I love Toriyama, he has no interest in developing his world or characters outside of Goku and Vegeta at all

And it's very easy to see.

Broly movie = NOBODY I REPEAT NOBODY besides Goku and Vegeta showed up to fight.

Moro arc = Vegeta and Goku are the only characters that have any development at all.

It's Bandai/Toei/Shueisa that likes to involve other characters and develop them.

Case in point do any of you care about ANY of Moro's henchmen? Can you say what any of the Z fighters did besides fight them very briefly and didn't do anything memorable during fights?

Well, that simply means it’s time for all of you to align your minds with Toriyama and Toyotaro’s minds then from now on and become full on Goku and Vegeta fans or face dissapointment.. I know which side I have chosen..

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:24 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:19 pmSo, we've seen quite literally half a dozen panels from the next arc so far, and we're already getting the expressions of disappointment.
I don't think people are disappointed, but rather worried. Moro's first 8 chapters were great, but everything after, with a few exceptions, wasn't very good. First impressions are everything, and Toyotaro unfortunately wasted his opportunity. I do agree that we don't know much about the arc to make a judgement one way or another, but based on the previous arc, I'm going to keep my expectations low.
GodVegetto91 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:40 pmWell, it’s time for all of you to align your minds with Toriyama and Toyotaro’s minds then from now on.
I don't think so, I like my mind where it is, calling both of them out on their lack of creativity.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:10 am

Alruneia wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:09 pm

As a wise man once said, it really do be like that sometimes.
:lol: I have a coworker who says this all the time and it cracks me up. I've heard it before, but it it's still funny.
Maximillian Dood makes fun of statements like that and "it is what it is" with his own, "It is what it do and it do what it be" :lol:
It's much too early to build up any kind of real opinion on the Granola stuff, since we know practically nothing about it. We don't know what Granola survived, we don't know what the 73 head stuff is (though it does make me wary). Having some reservations is fair, but passing actual judgment based on a teaser with just a few panels in it makes no sense.
Piggybacking off what you both said, I'll just say that this is 100% going to happen every month. Human nature, I guess. That and rampant speculation. Can't be helped.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:33 am

DevilKing99 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:10 pm Moro arc = Vegeta and Goku are the only characters that have any development at all.
I think there was a fair amount of development to go along. Nothing groundbreaking outside of those you mentioned, Merus and Buu, but still, I don't think the others were stagnant in the least. Yamcha even gained much of his confidence back.
I agree. Mainly that Toei's writing staff and the game creators like to flesh the characters out more or show other aspects of their personalities. Which is great! I wish Toriyama-san would incorporate some of that into his own work like he originally did with Bardock and now Broly. The Krillin PTSD stuff from the anime is a revelation that adds a ton of layers to the character.
Case in point do any of you care about ANY of Moro's henchmen?
Yes! I thought they had fantastic designs. I would have enjoyed it more if they were developed further, but we get a decent enough glimpse of them.
Can you say what any of the Z fighters did besides fight them very briefly and didn't do anything memorable during fights?
There were plenty of memorable moments during each of the fights. For me, it was the best stuff in the arc side by side with the revelation of Vegeta's burgeoning gult and repentence. I'm starved for anything other than reading Goku and Vegeta circling the same wagons over and over, though I did enjoy their developments a lot in this arc as well.
There's plenty, especially for new characters that aren't even close to being the focus of the arc. For one, just start with their names if you're searching. The stronger and more featured the character, the more art there is of them. That's usually how it goes unless there is a unique or cool design like with Miza, Iwaza, and Kikaza. Saying there's not art of Moro (like a few on these forums say) or his goons is a dead meme at this point especially with all the youtube thumbnails screaming the opposite.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:48 am

The Undying wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:44 pm

"GUYS WHAT IF DRAGON BALL WAS MORE LIKE MARVEL???" has to be my favorite bad take this month.

Christ.
I feel attacked. :lol:
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:21 am

That is something I really don't want to as I am really bitter from what happened to Saint Seiya.
Great classic shonen manga which caters to me as I love Greek mythology and I find the concept of the armor based on myths and Zodiac signs genius. What happened? The manga ended in the end of 80s because of popularity decrease, with Masami Kurumada saying, that what is left is going to the Heaven Arc fighting the Olympian Gods... What we've got? Boring TOEI movie with Apollo and Artemis, that serves as intro to that arc and ends with open ending. Author hated the movie and frankly, except for Seiji Yamamoto's awesome soundtrack, the movie is bad.
What we've got further? Masami Kurumada doing sequel and instead of it being real sequel, it is a prequel, that might lead to the Heaven arc, but because he is old and has health issues (he has severe pain in his hands from years of manga drawing in crazy Japanese weekly schedule), the sequel concluded almost after 20 years, and didn't lead nowhere
Probably because of the original author taking so much time, he picked some other manga artists to do spin offs. So we have a prequel, that was kinda interesting and fun, basically mirroring the original prequel but without the current future protagonists happening in it and put an interesting twist on the Hades arc, with Hades basically having simmilar thing to the Zodiac houses and generals. There was OAV cut short in the middle, because it wasn't much popular.... Than we've got the horrible Saint Seiya Omega from TOEI, which butchered the series and introduced completely nonsensical story to the original (Roman Gods, elemental powers, Pretty Cure like aspects), another spin off from TOEI that basically just is sequel to boring filler arc from the 80's anime and another spin off that is basically sequel to an original non canon Movie from the 80s.

So I am happy, that even tough the Super is not perfect, but still to me a better sequel to GT - that they are continuing the original without so much butchering and weird things going on.
And I was happy with the new cloth design going from ROF until the U6 arc. I loved these changes in the original and would love to see EoZ Goku one day, in the turqoise Gi.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:26 am

MCDaveG wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:21 amThat is something I really don't want to as I am really bitter from what happened to Saint Seiya.
Great classic shonen manga which caters to me as I love Greek mythology and I find the concept of the armor based on myths and Zodiac signs genius. What happened? The manga ended in the end of 80s because of popularity decrease, with Masami Kurumada saying, that what is left is going to the Heaven Arc fighting the Olympian Gods.
So the original manga never got a proper ending ?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:30 am

batistabus wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:40 pm
precita wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:26 pm The Moro arc has received a mixed reception in the fandom with most feeling negative about it than positive
What is your evidence for this? It's at least very popular in the West. On the Manga Plus website, when you add the English and Spanish views, it's the second most read manga after Boruto.
Boruto surpassed it? That's pretty sad, considering how the most read chapter of Boruto is not nearly as viewed as the least read chapter of Naruto. "Second only to Boruto" is not exactly a benchmark I'd aim for, but to each their own.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:38 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:26 am
MCDaveG wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:21 amThat is something I really don't want to as I am really bitter from what happened to Saint Seiya.
Great classic shonen manga which caters to me as I love Greek mythology and I find the concept of the armor based on myths and Zodiac signs genius. What happened? The manga ended in the end of 80s because of popularity decrease, with Masami Kurumada saying, that what is left is going to the Heaven Arc fighting the Olympian Gods.
So the original manga never got a proper ending ?
Nope, it ends with Hades arc
and the current sequel didn't even got past the intro in so many years and is still left unfinished. Originally, there was supposed to be one more arc with Zeus at the end, who was even teased in drawing by Kurumada, showing his God Cloth half in shadows, but years after, he decided to expand on the story but took so much on himself in attempt to make some kind of twist on it, that the series is even far more from being finished... and that CGI movie which was produced in joint with the original author himself was horrendous.

Yeah and there is also the Netflix series, which was a remake of the original series, advertised as a more faithful manga retelling done by an American scriptwriter... it ended being something completely else and written and looking as a poor 80s US cartoon, that takes it's liberties with source material and is unviersally hated. Also, one of the greatest characters, Andromeda Shun, that was a role model for young boys that it is OK to be passionate, pacifist and trying to avoid violence even having pink armor - is reaimagined as a girl which completely kills the original character's appeal and sense (voiced by the awesome Ryo Horikawa in the original, in role totally opposite to Vegeta).

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:37 am

Alright, Granola looks pretty cool from the front.

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:41 am

Daaaaaamn Granola looks pretty badass, he doesn't strike me as a bad guy tho from the looks of things.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:49 am

Ryokutya's impressions are out and he mentioned the enemy will be like "Kaitou Kid" from Detective Conan (An anti-villain thief kind of character)

http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/38892
Last edited by Xeogran on Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:57 am

Everyone is talking about the new villain Granolla design, but I can't find it anywhere :(