"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:09 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:23 am Well we certainly do not need a whole episode for each Earthlings’ fight against the prisoners (and if it sounds dumb remember that the Tournament of Power had such episodes).
Without a doubt the anime is likely going to expand the role for the human characters/Piccolo/Gohan when Moro arc is adapted. Wouldn't be surprised if we get several episodes for them fighting.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:59 pm

TKA wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:49 am My foolish hope is that they just do a straight adaptation, not unlike what DBKai/DBZKai purports to be. I can do without the anime muddying things up with its nonsense.
I agree, but I think it's unlikely to happen without additional scenes. The (already fillerish) Earth invasion segment is practically begging Toei to insert more filler. Gotta give Yamcha his "time to shine" against... uh... I forget his name.

Yawn.

I'd be happy to be wrong, though.
emperior wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:06 pm I wished they could animate the entirety of Toyotaro’s manga with Shintani’s style (and Broly’s movie colors) though I don’t expect it to ever happen unfortunately.
Just speaking purely from personal preference, I 100% agree with you.

I don't know how realistically they'd be able to adapt Toyotaro's panels using Shintani's design sheets, sadly. Shintani is not a comic artist, and Toyotaro's anatomical liberties might not be as animation-friendly as other mangaka, so I'd imagine the end result looking pretty different even if they somehow made it work. I recall plenty of episodes in Z successfully adapting Toriyama's work while still maintaining a distinct visual style, but Toyotaro's stuff could pose an issue here.

On the whole, I vastly prefer Shintani's artstyle. That's not to say I don't like or appreciate Toyotaro's art! But if given the choice, I'd instantly take the former's seamless blend of Toriyama's classic and modern styles over Toyotaro's own "twisty" quirks. Alternatively, I'm also fine with the animators adapting Toyotaro's style more closely. That could be something Toei is trying to figure out in the event that the anime returns and adapts the manga faithfully.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Just wanted to say you're not the only one with that pipe dream, and while I'm not convinced the anime will return anytime soon, its art direction certainly is something I'd be curious about.
Formerly Marlowe89.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:28 pm

I don't think each Z-Fighter needs an entire episide to themselves when Moro's goons are on Earth. Just make sure that each gets a good, decent length fight that doesn't drag on.

Maybe two episodes total for Yamcha, Tien and Krillin's fights? I dunno.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:33 pm

I hope they don't animate the first 3 arcs of Super from the manga, or if they do I want them to keep their own art style and just adapt the various plot points. I don't like how bulky some of the characters in the manga look (especially Zamasu). It just makes them look more generic. I prefer how Zamasu and Goku Black look more lean in the anime. I have a problem with the art style really, not the story.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:41 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:33 pm I hope they don't animate the first 3 arcs of Super from the manga, or if they do I want them to keep their own art style and just adapt the various plot points. I don't like how bulky some of the characters in the manga look (especially Zamasu). It just makes them look more generic. I prefer how Zamasu and Goku Black look more lean in the anime. I have a problem with the art style really, not the story.
If they animated the manga they wouldn’t copy Toyotaro’s art style. Especially if Shintani was the character designer. They would probably focus more on imitating Toriyama, instead of imitating an imitation of the original.

It would most likely end up being like anime Buu arc, which had a very different art style from Toriyama’s.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:44 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:41 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:33 pm I hope they don't animate the first 3 arcs of Super from the manga, or if they do I want them to keep their own art style and just adapt the various plot points. I don't like how bulky some of the characters in the manga look (especially Zamasu). It just makes them look more generic. I prefer how Zamasu and Goku Black look more lean in the anime. I have a problem with the art style really, not the story.
If they animated the manga they wouldn’t copy Toyotaro’s art style. Especially if Shintani was the character designer. They would probably focus more on imitating Toriyama, instead of imitating an imitation of the original.

It would most likely end up being like anime Buu arc, which had a very different art style from Toriyama’s.
I see, well in that case I wouldn't mind seeing a strict adaptation of the manga for the first 3 arcs of Super (Universe 6, Future Trunks, ToP). I remember seeing the original designs Toriyama came up with for the characters and I really liked them.

Although I can't see it being very likely to happen, not until Super is officially over as a story. I can't imagine the public would react well if Super finally came back after 3+ years just to retell 3 previous arcs.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:56 pm

Actually, I hope Toei could use the Earth invasion to their advantage and blend those filler fights with the main Saganbo one. Sadly, Goku's erotic journey from Milan to Minsk-- I mean Earth, will probably seem to last forever.

About Broly, please don't retell it. I don't care for a subpar version of it, however I would care for the aftermath, and some bridges between ToP-Broly-Moro arc.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:28 pm

TobyS wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:55 am I kinda hope they go: Filler > Broly > Filler > Moro with new filler > Filler > Survivor > Filler

This will let the manga get way ahead, which it should.
Don't know why people keep feeding this illusion that one day the anime will be an adaption of the manga as was with DB in it's early serialization.

Don't they realize that both are their own thing? Hell, the anime came first and the manga only purpose was to promote the latter, it's only different now because we have no animated content besides Heroes stuff.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Noah wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:28 pm
TobyS wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:55 am I kinda hope they go: Filler > Broly > Filler > Moro with new filler > Filler > Survivor > Filler

Don't know why people keep feeding this illusion that one day the anime will be an adaption of the manga as was with DB in it's early serialization.

Don't they realize that both are their own thing? Hell, the anime came first and the manga only purpose was to promote the latter, it's only different now because we have no animated content besides Heroes stuff.
Wrong

The manga came first (Super's first chapter was released in June of 2015) The Anime's first episode came out in July of 2015

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:05 pm

My point still stands as it first we had this announcement before this one
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:10 pm

Noah wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:05 pm My point still stands as it first we had this announcement before this one
You do know that things can change, right? More classic "manga sux no anime"
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:57 pm

Noah wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:28 pm

I think you're forgetting that the anime was adapting the manga for the beginning of the U6 Arc, essentially starting off as a regular "anime adapting the manga while adding a bunch of stuff" scenario. The anime adapting the RoF movie gave the manga a chance to get way ahead given they skipped from BoG to U6. The anime caught up too quickly midway through the U6 tourny, and that's where we see huge deviations like Goku vs Hit's fight.

"Back when Toriyama-sensei was drawing the manga, the animators would use his manga panels as reference, imitating the composition and things like that. And now it seems that the animators are likewise using Toyotarō-sensei‘s manga as reference.

Toriyama:
Oh, that’s good! That should keep them on track!

Toyotarō:
Really?… I still can’t believe I lucked into this job (sweat)."

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... b-version/

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:12 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:57 pmI think you're forgetting that the anime was adapting the manga for the beginning of the U6 Arc, essentially starting off as a regular "anime adapting the manga while adding a bunch of stuff" scenario. The anime adapting the RoF movie gave the manga a chance to get way ahead given they skipped from BoG to U6. The anime caught up too quickly midway through the U6 tourny, and that's where we see huge deviations like Goku vs Hit's fight.
That's just assumption. Toriyama early messages about Super anime already suggested he gave story drafts to the anime staff. Even though it started with BoG, fans already knew that Champa arc would be the first new content we would be getting. If the manga was to be taken seriously from the start, it wouldn't be published on V-Jump primarily known for video games and promotional products.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:53 am

The mental gymnastics to call a 45 pages per chapter manga similar to Shingeki no Kyojin, Akatsuki no Yona and many many others irrelevant is fascinating to watch. Sure, we're just assuming things and V-Jump barely has manga in it right?

Somehow ignoring a full plot with storyboards done is something you guys think makes sense. It's great that you don't run this business.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:52 am

Why couldn't a hypothetical adaptation be somewhere 'in between' a classic manga-anime adaptation and the manga and anime doing their own thing?

Manga and anime were based on the same plot outline from 2015 onwards.
Toyotaro however did use some of TOEIs concepts in his manga adaptation, that weren't in Toriyamas original script.
Like Blue Vegetto, UI Omen ...
I'd expect TOEI to at least take into consideration to adapt some of the storyboards and fight panels for their adaptation.
The material is already there and has some descent concepts and ideas, so why wouldn't they?

I however doubt they won't touch the 'source material'.

Because there is no clear source material anymore for Dragon Ball.
There are thee different versions of the same continuity. And there is not one version that is complete.
If the 'franchise' or Toriyama found one version of the continuity sacredly important and consider the manga to become that sacred source material for the nearby future, why doesn't the movie Broly, one of the most successful stories of modern DB, even not have a worthy manga version of things to date?

Moreover the overarching story of the Moro arc and its pacing are subject to improvement.
Definitely when implied to the medium anime.

The problem with TOEIs animated version of things, was not that it didn't correspond to the manga.
TOEIs writers had to follow the same impossible production schedule as the animators.
And there were too many writers busy with the same series to give it a descent consistency.
That had a negative impact on the overall quality.
If planned well and with enough time they should be able to rewrite properly.
Like they did with the movie Broly for Toriyamas script, that was way too long for a movie.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:07 am

FlpShimizu wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:53 am The mental gymnastics to call a 45 pages per chapter manga similar to Shingeki no Kyojin, Akatsuki no Yona and many many others irrelevant is fascinating to watch. Sure, we're just assuming things and V-Jump barely has manga in it right?

Somehow ignoring a full plot with storyboards done is something you guys think makes sense. It's great that you don't run this business.
It’s even funnier because Toriyama to this date has only ever publicly supported and praised the manga, which he supervises and redraws too at times.

The original author clearly cares a lot about it, yet some people are like “V-Jump is only for promotional stuff nobody cares about!!!”.
I guess Boruto too is promotional stuff that no one cares about.

Super’s manga might have started as promotion to the anime but things have changed a lot ever since then.
For instance, Toriyama was angry with Super’s TV show quality and might have decided to focus on the manga, a medium he understands much better and can control easily. He also always praised Toyotaro’s work.

I believe that ever since U6 arc, which is around the time when the first comments of Toriyama’s distaste for the anime came around, the manga was already not promotional anymore. Though one could argue that the way Super Shenron was handled in the manga and the fact Toyotaro had to include some gags in interstitials may mean there was still some corporate pressure to have the manga be faster.

I also believe that Moro arc had to be purposefully slowed down as they took long to figure out what the next arc would have been about (even Toyotaro recently confirmed that it took them long to come up with the new story).

But this doesn’t mean the manga is promotional.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:16 am

emperior wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:07 am

I'm afraid it is.
It may not seem a very romantic idea, i agree, but we actually get new content because of promotional reasons in the first place .
That's why we have different versions of the same continuity to begin with.
From sales perspective, that's more intresting than having just one version.

From that perspective everything considering the main storyline serves a commercial purpose: to sell or sell other merchandise.
Let's face it. The real one-and-only cohesive story of DB as provided by Toriyama has ended long ago.
That however does not automatically mean some of the new content isn't worthwile reading or watching, when placed in the right context.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:54 am

emperior wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:07 am
FlpShimizu wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:53 am The mental gymnastics to call a 45 pages per chapter manga similar to Shingeki no Kyojin, Akatsuki no Yona and many many others irrelevant is fascinating to watch. Sure, we're just assuming things and V-Jump barely has manga in it right?

It’s even funnier because Toriyama to this date has only ever publicly supported and praised the manga, which he supervises and redraws too at times.

The original author clearly cares a lot about it, yet some people are like “V-Jump is only for promotional stuff nobody cares about!!!”.
I guess Boruto too is promotional stuff that no one cares about.

Super’s manga might have started as promotion to the anime but things have changed a lot ever since then.
For instance, Toriyama was angry with Super’s TV show quality and might have decided to focus on the manga, a medium he understands much better and can control easily. He also always praised Toyotaro’s work.

I believe that ever since U6 arc, which is around the time when the first comments of Toriyama’s distaste for the anime came around, the manga was already not promotional anymore. Though one could argue that the way Super Shenron was handled in the manga and the fact Toyotaro had to include some gags in interstitials may mean there was still some corporate pressure to have the manga be faster.

I also believe that Moro arc had to be purposefully slowed down as they took long to figure out what the next arc would have been about (even Toyotaro recently confirmed that it took them long to come up with the new story).

That doesn't make sense. If Toriyama was angry about the TV show's quality, then very clearly he cares a lot about the anime too.

If he was indifferent to the anime, he wouldn't even bother forming a judgement about it. You get angry at something only if you care about something, and genuinely want it to improve.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:43 am

Toriyama gets angry when his work is treated badly, same as with Evolution.

I never said he didn’t care about the anime, but he probably shifted his interest toward the manga more when he saw how bad the anime was and how difficult it was for him to control it. Supervising a weekly anime is much harder than supervising a monthly manga, especially for a mangaka like Toriyama.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:00 pm

emperior wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:43 am Toriyama gets angry when his work is treated badly, same as with Evolution.

I never said he didn’t care about the anime, but he probably shifted his interest toward the manga more when he saw how bad the anime was and how difficult it was for him to control it. Supervising a weekly anime is much harder than supervising a monthly manga, especially for a mangaka like Toriyama.
If Toriyama genuinely thinks the Super anime is as bad as Dragon Ball Evolution then I sincerely don't know what to tell him...