"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:41 pm

I will be nitpicking here but why does Granola look so much like a human? Like, how are we supposed to believe that this guy isn't from earth? I know saiyans look identical to humans too but at least they had tails for awhile. It's why Recoome is my least favorite Ginyu Force member design wise, the guy doesn't look like an alien at all.

Going back to Granola, he's actually pretty hot ngl, so I don't mind him not looking like an alien all that much. I love green, I just wish Toyotaro wouldn't draw pants so damn baggy.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:32 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:41 pm I will be nitpicking here but why does Granola look so much like a human? Like, how are we supposed to believe that this guy isn't from earth? I know saiyans look identical to humans too but at least they had tails for awhile. It's why Recoome is my least favorite Ginyu Force member design wise, the guy doesn't look like an alien at all.

Going back to Granola, he's actually pretty hot ngl, so I don't mind him not looking like an alien all that much. I love green, I just wish Toyotaro wouldn't draw pants so damn baggy.
Someone asked this when the ToP kicked off. People asked why did some nay of the characters look so generic?

Well the answer is that this that for everyone Frieza, theres are hundreds generic aliens. Most are humanoid, humanoid with different colour skin and hair, anthropomorphic animels or a mix of those. Saiyans look human, namekians look very humanoid, hell even the kaioshin and the angels look human.

If you want an in universe answer, it because the gods shaped lifeforms in their image. Out of universe, Dragon Ball follows the the old sci-fi trop that all aliens look human.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:03 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:54 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:57 amOn a tangential, totally subjective level, I do prefer Toriyama's Minus design for chibi Vegeta. Fight me.
I think it would be far more appropriate if at least Vegeta would lose his bangs as he grows up.

Gine says Bardock's hair isn't common, so Vegeta losing his bangs wouldn't be far-fetched or anything. It would be in line with the strange properties of Saiyans (hair) in general.

Come to think of it, Tarble should have Vegeta's hair with the bangs. Not only would it be somewhat unique and cool, it wouldn't be a cheap copy and paste of Gohan's hair (in the anime) or Vegeta's hair (in the manga).
It's not so much the hair lore reasons, rather the whole design from the anime just doesn't work as well for me, with the white armour and everything. Though I do much prefer this happy compromise from the Original Illustrated Story by Maeda. The blue armour at least makes it resemble Vegeta more.
I still prefer the Minus design as it's just more in line with Vegeta's character. He was always a manchild, so I like the idea that he looked exactly the same as a kid, lol.

I agree that Tarble could've looked more distinct if he inherited the Kid Vegeta bangs.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:48 pm

The explanation that the "Supreme Kais shaped ningens to look like them" actually makes a ton of sense and is supported by the story.

There's a scene in the Future Trunks arc where Gowasu literally mentions how ningens and Gods share "similar forms", or something along those lines (which was obsessing Zamasu -- if Gods are Gods and ningens are ningens, why do they have similar forms?)

Which is why 99% of the species in the verse look very similar to the Supreme Kais, who in turn are basically humans with longer ears. It's all connected.

It's the same thing in our real world, it's believed that God shaped us ningens in his image. Makes sense it'd be the same thing in the Dragon Ball, where the "Creator Gods" are the Supreme Kais.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:06 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:41 pm I will be nitpicking here but why does Granola look so much like a human? Like, how are we supposed to believe that this guy isn't from earth? I know saiyans look identical to humans too but at least they had tails for awhile. It's why Recoome is my least favorite Ginyu Force member design wise, the guy doesn't look like an alien at all.
I kinda wonder that myself. When I first saw Granola in black & white, I was sure that he'd be some shade of green, blue, or pink when he got colored-in but he's just another human-looking mofo after all. It doesn't speak "alien" when there's another race out there that looks like an ordinary human just doing cosplay.
What I'm hoping is that Granola will change color somehow as he finds ways to improve himself as the arc goes on or that he's capable of altering his appearance already and simply chose a human setting.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:05 pm

It's easier to draw and animate humans, you got more references.
That's the point.

AS FOR a scientific reason, humanoid form surpassed evolution obstacles and we are a dominant specie in a world were even simple particles can kill you for a reason.
Human form kick ass, really.

Bifocal vision, stereophonic spatial sense, structured simmetry, minimal but efficient elastic joints, specialized prehensile appendages, perfect bone structure, damage regeneration, spatial sense... what do you want more? We got everything you need to survive the most hostile place in the universe. You don't need tentacles.

So, probably, evolution will propose humanoids as the winning card everywhere.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:22 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:05 pm It's easier to draw and animate humans, you got more references.
That's the point.

AS FOR a scientific reason, humanoid form surpassed evolution obstacles and we are a dominant specie in a world were even simple particles can kill you for a reason.

Bifocal vision, stereophonic spatial sense, structured simmetry, minimal but efficient elastic joints, specialized prehensile appendages, perfect bone structure, damage regeneration, spatial sense... what do you want more? We got everything you need to survive the most hostile place in the universe. You don't need tentacles.

Probably our most powerful hack is our ability to perspire/sweat.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:56 am

Yuji wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:38 pm Edit: A lot of ice and fire based puns this chapter. "With enough cash to burn," "They ain't fired up to make any deals," "You'd be playing with fire," "You're such a hothead," "Revenge is best served cold [...] so chill out," "Put this thing on the back burner," "Cool that head," "Freeza's name lit a fire under Granolah," "We'd be in hot water," "Freeza's gonna ice the guy for us," "Fired up to see what we find." Anyone who speaks japanese can elucidate on the nature of these puns and translation liberties?
You can thank Caleb Cook for all of that, as none of it is in the original.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:08 am

Cipher wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:56 am
Yuji wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:38 pm Edit: A lot of ice and fire based puns this chapter. "With enough cash to burn," "They ain't fired up to make any deals," "You'd be playing with fire," "You're such a hothead," "Revenge is best served cold [...] so chill out," "Put this thing on the back burner," "Cool that head," "Freeza's name lit a fire under Granolah," "We'd be in hot water," "Freeza's gonna ice the guy for us," "Fired up to see what we find." Anyone who speaks japanese can elucidate on the nature of these puns and translation liberties?
You can thank Caleb Cook for all of that, as none of it is in the original.
I thought so. It seemed off. I thought either Toyotarou severely misunderstood Toriyama's comedic sensibilities or the translator took some liberties, because Toriyama is never this corny and in-your-face with his puns.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:17 am

Yuji wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:08 am I thought so. It seemed off. I thought either Toyotarou severely misunderstood Toriyama's comedic sensibilities or the translator took some liberties, because Toriyama is never this corny and in-your-face with his puns.
I mean, Toriyama does have a dolphin in the first arc end all its sentences with (very funny) dolphin puns in Japanese, so it's not like he's above it.

It's just not anything that's done with the dialogue here. There's nothing punny about the Heatas' lines in the original version.

I'm not particularly against Cook's take with it, but any praise or misgivings with it would lie there.

(I guess I do agree that Toriyama ... and Toyotaro in imitation ... tend to be a little drier with their humor though, especially when pun names are already involved. ...Or should I say "dryer"?)

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:37 am

ChronoTwigger wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:05 pm It's easier to draw and animate humans, you got more references.
That's the point.

Let’s not big ourselves up to much.

For all that we have many flaws. We are more sustainable to chocking then most other animals thanks to our vocal cords. Because we walk upright the birth canal is more narrow then other animals which is why human children are born so premature and why human births have so many complications. Perhaps worst of all though is that despite our greater intelligence and adaptability this comes at the cost of our environment. Considering that, as it stands, we lack the technology to undo the damage we’ve rought or even successfully move beyond our one abused world, being human might not be all it’s cracked up to be in the long run.

Besides evolution is not an upward growing tree, chasing advancement. It’s a a graphs with peaks and drop offs of growth and diversity. Case in point Dinosaurs possessed many biological adaptations we lack as mammals and were tough bastards in their own way. Theirs a dinosaur who’s fossils show that it has a sever bone infection that spread down one one side of its rib cage. It would have been in incredible pain yet the fossil shows signed of healing, indicating it survived. They had a superior respiratory function which allowed them to grow to their huge size and despite their small brain size, they like birds had more nurons then mammals. For example a T. Rex possibly had as many nurons as a chimpanzee.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:32 pm

Tuffles, Humans, and Saiyans all have similar features. Yamcha could have passed for a Saiyan looks wise, and even take out the third eye and put spiky black hair on Tenshinhan and you have a Goku clone.

Point is, races in the Dragonball world have similarities. Except for Namekians, they are pretty unique.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:57 am

Did you see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUKDXYDEtQI

What is this about?

Sorry if it's already been posted.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:27 pm

Gt91 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:57 am Did you see this?

What is this about?

I watched it with auto-generated subtitles (gross I know) and from what I could glean from the botched translation it doesn't seem too important

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:55 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:27 pm

What is this about?

I watched it with auto-generated subtitles (gross I know) and from what I could glean from the botched translation it doesn't seem too important
Ok thanks! :D

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:18 pm

What is this about?

What does it say then??? Because they sure spended a lot of time on the Manga Granola Arc.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:24 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:18 pm

What is this about?

What does it say then??? Because they sure spended a lot of time on the Manga Granola Arc.
From what I could gather from the bits it could translate and context, It seemed to be ranking who they thought this "Universes Strongest Warrior" was going to be. It was most likely Granolah, But they also mentioned it could be Frieza, One of the Heaters, Broly, OG7-3, Goku Himself, or a character that hasn't been revealed.

So it's just all speculation, no new information really.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:30 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:41 pm I will be nitpicking here but why does Granola look so much like a human? Like, how are we supposed to believe that this guy isn't from earth?
What a silly nitpick. It’s not terribly weird that humans tend to conceptualists humanoid aliens.

What you’re doing is a genre critique, and not a terribly interesting one.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:41 am

TKA wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:30 am
DestructoDisc wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:41 pm I will be nitpicking here but why does Granola look so much like a human? Like, how are we supposed to believe that this guy isn't from earth?
What a silly nitpick. It’s not terribly weird that humans tend to conceptualists humanoid aliens.

What you’re doing is a genre critique, and not a terribly interesting one.
I'm sorry sempai.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:23 am

Orange is an Odd Choice considering it was Purple before. I liked the purple one.