How long until Mr Popo gets cancelled?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: How long until Mr Popo gets cancelled?

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:50 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:20 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:03 am Why do other races like to speak for us so much?
Agreed...again. Lol
Isnt there a term for that like "White people superheroism" or something like that? Regardless.

Three whole pages of making a mountain out of a mole hill. If we shrugged it off, I don't see why some people are still waving their pitch forks.

Its really not that serious, though I think this was another one of those bait threads, It should definitely end here though, there's really nothing left of any real value that can be added without needlessly drifting way off topic.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:39 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:40 am , much like with all the other offensive shit in the manga. In fact, he may have drawn Popo that way precisely *because* of how offensive it is. The more offensive, the better.

Toriyama isn’t Seth Macfarlane or Matt Stone and Trey Parker, I doubt he’s going out of his way to be offensive.

Don't waste your energy, I'm already getting tired reading some of this shit.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:55 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:03 am Why do other races like to speak for us so much?
Patronizing and infantilization are old racist habits.
Basically, treating black people like kids who can't/don't understand they are being offended and that they should be offended, because the almighty white man knows best, even about how offended a racialized group should feel on a particular topic that only they can understand.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:02 pm

^^You both nailed it; I don't feel like I need to be told by white people to be offended by something, or that I don't understand how something is offensive to me. It's becoming more apparent each day that this was a bait thread. It's reached its natural conclusion (possibly the only conclusion without it getting a lot worse), so I agree, this thread should probably be closed at this point lol.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:15 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:02 pm ^^You both nailed it; I don't feel like I need to be told by white people to be offended by something, or that I don't understand how something is offensive to me. I agree, it's becoming more apparent each day that this was a bait thread. It's reached it's natural conclusion (possibly the only conclusion without it getting a lot worse), so I agree, this thread should probably be closed at this point lol.
Jord has a long history of making bait threads on here and I don't understand why he hasn't been banned yet.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DatHenson

Post by DatHenson » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:31 pm

Honestly not annoyed by accents unless it's a racist caricature. In fact, I find it a massive issue in modern dubs (and even OG Japan) where everyone notoriously sounds similar or from the same region. The voicepool being stuck in Texas/Tokyo only for dub/sub gets annoying after a while
But back to representation, Popo is definitely problematic, but not purposefully offensive. If anything, we can blame Toei for the voice, not Toriyama
Killa and G.Black bug me MORE due to the lips though, despite the latter being shown as one of the more competent DB villains. Thankfully DB's franchise has already moved away from depicting African men like that
Ultimately a lot of this is cuz of poor hindsight/lack of understanding of race. And I sadly won't see that change in the general public, despite some advancements (noticed other anime depicting us better :P)

Regardless, Toei's actions in Popo rep will probably fall back on barely showing him if the time comes. Better than something like TCPi with Kadabra (until this year) or Porygon in the anime, both of whom may as well be nonexistant completely

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:19 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:40 am , much like with all the other offensive shit in the manga. In fact, he may have drawn Popo that way precisely *because* of how offensive it is. The more offensive, the better.
Toriyama isn’t Seth Macfarlane or Matt Stone and Trey Parker, I doubt he’s going out of his way to be offensive.
He likes dirty humor and offensive shit. Something like a racist caricature is exactly the kind of thing that Toriyama would find funny and want to include in his manga.

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:50 pm Three whole pages of making a mountain out of a mole hill. If we shrugged it off, I don't see why some people are still waving their pitch forks.
Just because you might not think something is a problem, doesn't mean that nobody else does. I don't see any "pitch forks". And who the hell is "we"?

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:13 am I think its safe to assume most black folk feel the same way, I mean if Dragon Ball were to be put under any fire for that it would've surely happened by now.
Why the hell would anyone be so comfortable in assuming what "most black folk" think about the matter, or any given subject? What a horrible assumption to make.

"Put under any fire"? This has likely been an issue within fandom for as long as the character has existed. And just because something has yet to be taken to task on any major and public level does not mean it isn't a problem.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:04 pm

I'm going to take the super wild guess and wager that krump dancer, Majin Buu, and I probably know a wide enough range of black people to make reasonable enough assumptions.

Hell, I knew a fat dark-skinned guy in high school who nicknamed himself Mr. Popo :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:08 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:15 pm Jord has a long history of making bait threads on here and I don't understand why he hasn't been banned yet.
5 pages too late...lol
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:09 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:04 pm I'm going to take the super wild guess and wager that krump dancer, Majin Buu, and I probably know a wide enough range of black people to make reasonable enough assumptions.

Hell, I knew a fat dark-skinned guy in high school who nicknamed himself Mr. Popo :lol:
I knew a few older guys when I was growing up that talked like Killa while we're at it but different stroy.

Mr Popo is not a human and is not suppose to be so it never offended me.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:56 pm

Anime and Manga was mostly inspired by animation and comics from North America. During the 1900s-1950s, it was common to see Black Face in movies, cartoons and comics at the time. Toriyama was inspired by Disney and Disney was known for racism in their cartoons. Same with Warner Bros and Tom & Jerry back then too. He probably got the idea from that and was unaware on how bad it was.
goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:50 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:20 pm
Agreed...again. Lol
Isnt there a term for that like "White people superheroism" or something like that? Regardless.
The term is White Savior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_savior
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:18 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:56 pm Anime and Manga was mostly inspired by animation and comics from North America. During the 1920s-1950s, it was common to see Black Face in cartoons and comics at the time. Toriyama was inspired by Disney and Disney was known for racism in their cartoons. Same with Warner Bros and Tom & Jerry back then too. He probably got the idea from that and was unaware on how bad it was.
But didn't Disney censor a lot of their old racist stuff, like Song of the South? It's hard to find the originals nowadays. And there was controversy about it even back when it was released.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:44 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:18 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:56 pm Anime and Manga was mostly inspired by animation and comics from North America. During the 1920s-1950s, it was common to see Black Face in cartoons and comics at the time. Toriyama was inspired by Disney and Disney was known for racism in their cartoons. Same with Warner Bros and Tom & Jerry back then too. He probably got the idea from that and was unaware on how bad it was.
But didn't Disney censor a lot of their old racist stuff, like Song of the South? It's hard to find the originals nowadays. And there was controversy about it even back when it was released.
Indeed, and SOTS in particular you have to resort to buying bootlegs (or foreign copies as the ban or do not release blacklisting only applies here in the U.S. it seems as other countries have official releases available) since Disney has gone out of their way to bury it as an old shame but prior to the mid '80s had no problem re releasing it theatrically every few years per their long standing policy on classic films and even had until recently a whole ride at both theme parks inspired by the movie though that was already a few years after it's final theatrical re release here in 1986.

The film did have controversy when it originally released in the late '40s, but not to the point of being hidden away until after that last re release.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:10 am

Puppies. Oranges. The Beach. Chocolate Chip Cookies. Gum. Toilet Brush.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:51 am

Probably not...but that's not to say it isn't problematic. And the few Black people featured in DBZ do follow the stereotypical look of black people (i.e. black skin, big lips). Considering how Mr. Popo talks, it's meant to give readers an immediate idea of who Mr. Popo is: uses broken language, is completely domesticated and committed to servitude. It's not a great look.

That does not mean that I think Mr. Popo is racist or that Toriyama or DB is actively racist. But these are things to consider: Japan is a largely homogenized society which makes them incredibly sensitive to foreigners and immigrants. So it's not all that surprising that Japan believes in some problematic stereotypes in regards to PoC. And while I think Japan has moved closer to inclusivity, or at least has opened up a lot more to foreigners, some of those problems still hang around.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:48 pm

To be frank, Japanese culture has always had some problematic qualities. That’s largely why so many anime fans are anti-SJW reactionaries. That doesn’t mean that all the people from Japan are bigots, but there unfortunately is a tendency from certain individuals to fetishize the country’s culture, specifically because they perceive it as some kind of far-right paradise.

Jord

Post by Jord » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:12 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:55 pm Commander Black and Killa are 10x more offense to Black people then Popo is(not saying they are or aren't). Popo is Genie that is not human at in the slightest and I would say Middle eastern people would be just as if not more offended about him. Saying that to say personally Popo doesn't bother me.
Killa was indeed pretty bad, especially in the US dub but iirc Black was at least the most capable and dangerous member of the RRA.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:32 am

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:15 pmIt's real easy to make a sarcastic drive-by post.
It's real easy to respond to PMs I sent you months ago as well but that hasn't happened either.

Drepanosaurus

Post by Drepanosaurus » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:50 am

As a black guy myself, I don't care about Mr. Popo at all. The character is not even human and most people don't take DBZ seriously.
White guilt is a thing. Black people don't have the same history of genocide and racism like white people do. Black people don't have their own version of Hitler.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:29 pm

Drepanosaurus wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:50 am As a black guy myself, I don't care about Mr. Popo at all. The character is not even human and most people don't take DBZ seriously.
White guilt is a thing. Black people don't have the same history of genocide and racism like white people do. Black people don't have their own version of Hitler.
Pretty sure African history and present would be to differ. It was other africans that sold slaves, and plenty of genocide within Rawanda, and plenty of warlord making child soldiers run around murdering people. Blacks and afriucans can be just as racist as any of human.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:42 pm

Rwanda. Not Rawanda.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: