Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:15 am

Well, the lower stakes plot matches the original EoZ notion that 10 years of peace had gone by, and that most characters have been estranged for 5 years. This DBS car ride has to slow down now that is so close to EoZ.

It's already incredible -in the literal sense of the word- to have had the arcs of Moro and Granola back 2 back, right after Zamasu and the ToP, and Broly while being so close to the end. An end-of-the-word plot, right before the TB, would shatter whatever we thought EoZ was about.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:36 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:15 am Well, the lower stakes plot matches the original EoZ notion that 10 years of peace had gone by, and that most characters have been estranged for 5 years. This DBS car ride has to slow down now that is so close to EoZ.

It's already incredible -in the literal sense of the word- to have had the arcs of Moro and Granola back 2 back, right after Zamasu and the ToP, and Broly while being so close to the end. An end-of-the-word plot, right before the TB, would shatter whatever we thought EoZ was about.
The problem is casual fans all over the world dont want to see lower stakes plot driven story, they want action and universel cataclysm and good written villain like broly(meaning not evil just for the sake of it). But this movie giving me a yo son goku vibes. But then again if the story is good then of course it will make money.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:58 pm

To be fair there's been a "world-ending/apocalyptic" threat in every arc and movie since the Saiyan arc at least. The Saiyan arc indeed featured a villain who could effortlessly destroy a city and tried to blow up the world, the stakes were very high right from the start and only escalated with villains who could threaten not just the world, but the galaxy, universe, and even Multiverse/Timeline (one Godly villain :wink: ).

Even when they make more "comical" movies like BoG which is very slice of life-oriented (Bulma birthday) and comical (Beerus wanting to destroy the world because Buu ate his pudding), there's still the apocalyptic element because Beerus wants to destroy the world...

So it's only fair that the vast majority of people are looking at this movie in a weird way, it seems like the stakes are an all time low for the first time since start of Z. They said that they wanted to take a step back from the massive power levels featured in the Broly movie, so maybe that's why they decided to pick Pan as main character (or at least from what we know so far). And if Pan is indeed the main character/main hero of this movie, since she's a small child, the villains have to scale accordingly, at which point they are complete fodder to any of the Z fighters, but can be defeated and pose a threat to Pan...

Or maybe Pan is just a red herring and the MC is Goku after all (so he's not relegated to a "mentor" role for Pan), in which case the stakes have to be very high if a villain can pose a threat to Goku... But how exactly can a bunch of robots created by the Red Ribbon army pose a threat to Goku after all the massive power-ups he got in Super? Maybe the Red Ribbon robots are also a red herring and the main villain is someone else :think:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:21 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:58 pm But how exactly can a bunch of robots created by the Red Ribbon army pose a threat to Goku after all the massive power-ups he got in Super? Maybe the Red Ribbon robots are also a red herring and the main villain is someone else :think:
This same question could've been asked after Trunks met Goku after killing Freeza. If they had another spybot gathering info/DNA about Broly or Moro, then there's your answer. Will they use the same method? probably not, I hope not, but if they do, then ok.

Of course, to threaten guys who know hakai and UI you need something else for the audience to buy it, but they can work around it.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:24 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:45 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:25 am I think the reason why they are going with a low-stakes plot is to not overwhelm themselves with a more complicated story while focusing on polishing the 3D animation.
Still a bit of a shame--in retrospect--we don't get to see U6 again...maybe after EoZ?
Maybe Vegeta will try to surpass Goku in the "teaching" department too and go to Planet Sadala after End of Z, to train Cabba and/or the Saiyan girls. The writers also set up the potential plot where Vegeta meets the King of Planet Sadala.

Anything could happen honestly, we also know from the end of the ToP arc that the Girls want to reach SS3 so Vegeta can try to reach that form with them and finally become SS3 in Canon after years of humiliation :think:
I don't think Vegeta has to try to learn Super Saiyan 3. I think he can do that transformation whenever he wants. It's like how he went Super Saiyan Blue, and we never see him use God form (outside of the manga) until the Broly movie. When Vegeta masters a higher form, going back to a lower form he skipped is a choice he can always make, but rarely feels the need to do. Super Saiyan 3 burns through a ton of energy, but doesn't give the power output of God form, making it obsolete. Not to the Universe 6 Saiyans, though. They don't have god ki, so Super Saiyan 3 is still the highest level of power they can reach.

But seriously, TOEI, make Vegeta visit Sadala already. Why would he wait this long? Is Vegeta getting senile? Did he forget? This is the guy whose Saiyan pride practically defines his personality, and he has a whole planet worth of Saiyans to discover. This should be a dream come true for him.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:46 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:21 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:58 pm But how exactly can a bunch of robots created by the Red Ribbon army pose a threat to Goku after all the massive power-ups he got in Super? Maybe the Red Ribbon robots are also a red herring and the main villain is someone else :think:
This same question could've been asked after Trunks met Goku after killing Freeza. If they had another spybot gathering info/DNA about Broly or Moro, then there's your answer. Will they use the same method? probably not, I hope not, but if they do, then ok.

Of course, to threaten guys who know hakai and UI you need something else for the audience to buy it, but they can work around it.
I think this movie will be a getting a major release worldwide and show this movie as much theater as possible like any major Disney movie(TOY STORY,CARS etc), thats why i think they are trying to appeal wide range of people, because even broly didnt get that treatment. Sure it was release worldwide but those are limited theatrical release, This will be a major huge release, and kozo morishita himself said that it was his dream to create full CG DB movie and show it in the movie theaters all over the world on a major scale. I am talking about disney level distribution which anime movies never got, he also mentions the era of selling works made in japan overseas is over.I just hope they marketing this movie properly like disney does, otherwise they have no chance in hell for success, and next he also mentions about
when a movie release in large scale in the united states it cost lot of money not only for production but also for advertising(marketing), but then proving my fear correct he said DB has the power to take it to this stage and compete which means No major marketing i hope this is wrong and they spends decent ammount in marketing.
Last edited by Mr_CINDER on Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:55 am

Android 21's backstory could come into play, if they wanted to. Like RRA meets Buu's DNA... can you imagine what Dr. Gero could've done if he had access to fucking Majin Buu? or Moro!

Honestly, I'm happy it's going to be a low-stakes production.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:57 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:55 am Android 21's backstory could come into play, if they wanted to. Like RRA meets Buu's DNA... can you imagine what Dr. Gero could've done if he had access to fucking Majin Buu? or Moro!

They said this movie will be mix of both healthy ammount of drama and action. both will be there.I just hope the story will back it up

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:42 pm

The "low stakes" is actually the aspect that has me anticipating this movie the most. That and Piccolo and Pan.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:05 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:55 am Android 21's backstory could come into play, if they wanted to. Like RRA meets Buu's DNA... can you imagine what Dr. Gero could've done if he had access to fucking Majin Buu? or Moro!

It would be bullshit. For one, Buu doesn't have DNA. He's literally a magical entity that formed on its own over 75million years ago. You could find a way to mimic his properties, certainly, but there's no DNA there. Every Majin is a fully-formed entity, not unlike the Kaioshin. The only reason Android 21 worked was because it basically followed Heroes logic in which Logic doesn't actually exist and they can do whatever they want.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:11 pm

Zelvin wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:05 pm

It would be bullshit. For one, Buu doesn't have DNA. He's literally a magical entity that formed on its own over 75million years ago. You could find a way to mimic his properties, certainly, but there's no DNA there. Every Majin is a fully-formed entity, not unlike the Kaioshin. The only reason Android 21 worked was because it basically followed Heroes logic in which Logic doesn't actually exist and they can do whatever they want.
If Gero can create androids that were stronger than SSJ Goku without knowing SSJ exists, then using the "essence" of Buu (like a tiny sliver of him) to create a Buu-like android would be totally possible.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:16 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:11 pm If Gero can create androids that were stronger than SSJ Goku without knowing SSJ exists, then using the "essence" of Buu (like a tiny sliver of him) to create a Buu-like android would be totally possible.
Except that 'sliver' wouldn't have any of Buu's properties in it, since all his pieces either return to him as part of his regeneration or become completely separate from Buu and lose their properties. Remember, Buu could even come back from molecular dispersion. Cell still had a nucleus that was big enough to be seen once exposed and it took decades of work under Gero's Computer to even complete Cell and grow him. The probability of Geru himself discerning Buu's magical structure and replicating it is pretty much zero.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:24 pm

Zelvin wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:05 pm

You are aware this is all fictional and if they want Buu to have DNA or whatever to harness his unique abilities, they can do so, right?

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:43 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:24 pm You are aware this is all fictional and if they want Buu to have DNA or whatever to harness his unique abilities, they can do so, right?
Not if they've already established his very existence as magical and the method by which he regenerates. It's called Established Rules. A series must have its own established rules to function. Without them, then literally anything goes, there's no consistency or care, no rhyme or reason. It's just endless random bullshit at every turn.

In other words: Dragon Ball Heroes.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:49 pm

Zelvin wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:43 pmIn other words: fictional world.
Fixed that for you.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:55 pm

Zelvin wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:43 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:24 pm You are aware this is all fictional and if they want Buu to have DNA or whatever to harness his unique abilities, they can do so, right?
Not if they've already established his very existence as magical and the method by which he regenerates. It's called Established Rules. A series must have its own established rules to function. Without them, then literally anything goes, there's no consistency or care, no rhyme or reason. It's just endless random bullshit at every turn.
What if they were to establish that, by some scientific procedure, that a capsule could be design in a way that can contain a portion of Buu's substance while inhibiting the magical property of regeneration, which would prevent it from merging with his body?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:07 pm

And they are the one that comes up with the rules, that's the thing. Those aren't rules they grabbed from the real world or from another show, they literally made them up and with Buu they have been so vague they can keep on writing more, if they like, with much leeway. They can also retcon everything they need to, if they had to because that's their world with their made up rules.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:38 pm

I expect nothing less than this. Images, scenes, interactions like this one is precisely what I want from this movie and from Dragon Ball moving forward.

Thank you Xenoverse 2 for providing one of the simplest but coolest images in modern Dragon Ball history.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:55 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:38 pm I expect nothing less than this. Images, scenes, interactions like this one is precisely what I want from this movie and from Dragon Ball moving forward.

Thank you Xenoverse 2 for providing one of the simplest but coolest images in modern Dragon Ball history.
aw my eyes skipped right over all the text at first including the text in the image lol and for just a second I thought...
I just really want to see the EoZ designs (and character ages) make their return I guess.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:18 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:38 pm
It would be pretty rad to see Bra have small talk with Pan.