Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:07 pm

I don't know how I would feel about Gohan getting angry after Piccolo gets killed for a third time...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:07 pm

Big question is... Will Gohan show something new as well?

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:09 pm

Jord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:35 am CG isn't the problem per se. It's the cheap looking CG that's the problem. There are plenty of good looking CG anime films. I recently watched Stand by me Doraemon 2 for example and it looks awesome:
https://youtu.be/A0wg3Zkxq1c

Or if you want to take it broader, the CG-look of Into the Spider-Verse is really pretty.

This movie seems to coast on I guess Broly's success and the brand itself because since Super ended we basically only got DLC for FighterZ and that's it as far as releases. Yes, there is also the manga but I don't think a large percentage of this movie's intended audience reads it.

Like @ObnoxiousNamek says it's really weird what's going on with the brand if they think this will be Broly 2. Forget the CGI, the villains look not that interesting and the marketing has been pretty poor for a movie that's coming out from a brand that has been cooling down since the release of Broly. Add to that that due to the online era in which we live people that may be interested can see how bad the CGI is and I'm wondering how it will be received.
They really rushing this production it seems then. Spider Verse took 4 years and over 180 animators to look as good as it did. Can’t say for Doremon Stand by Me but it seems Toei is trying to copy that success (CG, Naoki Sato as composer, slice of life etc) but without doing even a 1/4 of the work to make it look as good.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:10 pm

Jord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:03 pm

Would almost mark your for spoilers since I believe you have something going there. There is a reason we get to see Piccolo's house for the first time. It takes the viewer closer to the character. Thus, if something bad happens it will have more impact.
Gohan then taking up the Piccolo uniform seems like a logical step from a storytelling perspective, especially since he also dons the cape. He hasn't worn that outfit since the beginning of the Buu saga so there must be a personal reason for this. It's not practicality since if that was the case he would have worn during the ToP.
Your point about the demon king connection is very good as well.
Thanks!
To be honest, I'm hoping I'm wrong because I want this movie to not be quite this predictable Also, this would mean Piccolo is out of commission for most of the movie, and they keep mentioning he has an active role.

I've seen this mentioned before, but I agree that marketing for this movie has been kinda lackluster compared to Broly. Makes one think they don't have a lot of faith in it and I hope that's not the case.

Anyone been able to gauge the reaction of the Japanese fandom?

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:12 pm

Jord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:03 pm
Michsi wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:22 am Now as far as plot goes, I am really more interested in that. I have this feeling that Piccolo gets attacked at the beginning and gets either kidnapped or - God forbid- dies again, and the reason Gohan is in the complete School of Piccolo get-up is because he wants to save/avenge him. As for why he gets attacked in the first place, I guessing the Gamma's that consider themselves superheroes see him only as the offspring of the Demon King. I am saying this because Piccolo's connection to the Demon King is brought up in his bio for the movie and that hasn't been mentioned for a while now.
Would almost mark your for spoilers since I believe you have something going there. There is a reason we get to see Piccolo's house for the first time. It takes the viewer closer to the character. Thus, if something bad happens to him it will have more impact.

Gohan then taking up the Piccolo uniform seems like a logical step from a storytelling perspective, especially since he also dons the cape. He hasn't worn that outfit since the beginning of the Buu saga so there must be a personal reason for this. It's not practicality since if that was the case he would have worn during the ToP.
Your point about the demon king connection is very good as well.
No way he dies again. They’ve been him promoting more than I’ve ever seen in modern Dragonball, especially with Furukawa being a key figure in these promo events. They keep saying he’ll play a major role. He might get his ass kicked and disappear then come back like he did back in the Garlic Jr movie.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:31 pm

Oh hey, confirmation on Pan's age. AGE 782, here we go! (damn, that's two years before the tournament, I thought the movie would be closer to the end of the series, but if they want to unfortunately cram even more stories set right after the movie, they can...).

Soba Mask wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:07 pm Big question is... Will Gohan show something new as well?
I doubt. But what would Gohan show anyway? Ultimate 2? Ultimate 3!?
Last edited by Grimlock on Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:34 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:31 pm
Soba Mask wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:07 pm Big question is... Will Gohan show something new as well?
Maximum Over-Ultimate
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:31 pm Oh hey, confirmation on Pan's age. AGE 782, here we go! (damn, that's two years before the tournament, I thought the movie would be closer to the end of the series, but if they want to unfortunately cram even more stories set right after the movie, they can...).

Geez what is the hang up with them doing everything they can to not go past EoZ ???

Like seriously….

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:15 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:36 am It's not a matter of ''hiding the plot'', it's the blatant lack of material to show. The movie is 4 months away and this is the first trailer with voices. Not even a trailer actually as it doesn't even cross the 1 minute mark, and a lot of it is reused footage from the previous trailer. 2 months ago they were even saying they were still working on the brief teaser they showed at NYCC.

And the main plot at this point looks pretty clear. We just don't know in detail (just like we know next to nothing about the rest of the movie)
Four months is a lifetime when it comes to movie spoilers. And if they're not telling a not, I have doubts it's because 'they have nothing to show' when we had thin plots for Resurrection 'F' and Broly that they didn't bother to hide. They reused some footage, but they're still a lot of new stuff they showed like Gohan, more of the Gammas in action, move of the movements of the movie shown, and showing off the effects like the rain and battle aura.

Them still working on the movie isn't surprising or new. People forget that Resurrection 'F' and Broly was still in production only a few weeks before they released. We also don't know the main plot outside of the RR is evil and the Gammas are Androids who think they're superheroes despite working for an evil organization. We don't even know what the Red Ribbon's main goal is. Granted, it could end in a gag like Frieza's wish in Broly, but it's still something to note.

I get it. New CGI and people are being extra critical about everything when it isn't really that different from the previous movies and people are worrying about the plot when that wasn't really a concern even for something like Resurrection 'F' which has the thinnest plot of all of Toriyama's movies so far. But some of this wringing is kind of getting out of hand.
Last edited by HeroR on Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:18 pm

Is there a translation for Toriyama's new message?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:22 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:31 pm Oh hey, confirmation on Pan's age. AGE 782, here we go! (damn, that's two years before the tournament, I thought the movie would be closer to the end of the series, but if they want to unfortunately cram even more stories set right after the movie, they can...).

What year is Granolah taking place in? Isn't it 782 as well?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:38 pm

Yuji wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:22 pm
What year is Granolah taking place in? Isn't it 782 as well?
The Granolah arc takes place in vaguely 781. Nothing officially claims it's in 781, but it wouldn't make any sense for it to be in 780 since so much time has passed since the ToP which was in late 780, and there's no need for it to take place in 782. Meanwhile, Pan being 3 here means DBSSH takes place sometime in 782 or 783 (recall that Pan is 4, but presumably almost 5, during EoZ which is in 784). So the time between the two stories should be anywhere from 0 to 2 years. I can almost guarantee that none of the writers have been actively calculating this, though, so don't be too surprised if not everything matches up.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:39 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:38 pmGeez what is the hang up with them doing everything they can to not go past EoZ ???
Marketing.

They've already announced the manga is getting a new arc in 2022 so I wouldn't be surprised if that arc takes place right after this film

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:54 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:34 pm
Grimlock wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:31 pm
Maximum Over-Ultimate
Come on... Give him another hair color and that it. Worked for SSB, UI, MUI and SSBE

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:59 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:39 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:38 pmGeez what is the hang up with them doing everything they can to not go past EoZ ???
Marketing.

They've already announced the manga is getting a new arc in 2022 so I wouldn't be surprised if that arc takes place right after this film
My question to them would be for whom? & If they think it will hurt them marketing wise to age folks up I’d beg to differ Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan don’t change all that much.

Goten & Trunks? If anything fans been begging for them to age up instead of being stuck as kids.

The ladies like Bulma,18,Chi-Chi aging can easily be reversed with a filler ep making the same wish to be 5-10 years younger that Bulma wanted in Broly. Everybody else in the OG cast they barely market now (Tien,Krillin, Yamcha).

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:25 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:59 pmMy question to them would be for whom? & If they think it will hurt them marketing wise to age folks up I’d beg to differ Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan don’t change all that much.
I don't think marketing has to do with it to be honest. Toriyama's reason for having BoG take place before EoZ was because he felt the characters would be too old and that applied to every storyline that came after. Goku and Vegeta were still in their prime and won't start aging until a decade or two after EoZ so I think it was a nice way of saying he isn't interested in writing stories taking place after his original ending.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:26 pm

No way they showed Karin and older Dende design before Goten and Trunks. Mabe they don't even show up. :lol:

Anyway I like the trailer. The CGI is definitely an improvement over what we've been having which is reassuring.
Talking about modern DB movies, despite I also prefer 2D over CGI I may enjoy this more than BOG and ROF.

BOG and ROF stories are nothing special, they use the bad current Yamamuro character designs and the color palette, music , storyboard and animation overall aren't great either. The only memorable animation scene from those movies is SSJ Goku vs Beerus from Shida. It's an awesome scene elevated by the song Hero playing on the background, but everything else is forgettable.

Super Hero has a better color palette on par with DBS Broly. Chikashi Kubota as character designer is much better than the current Yamamuro. That Goku's shot from the previous trailer is already better than any Goku's shot from those two movies.

Curious to see what Naoki Sato brings to the table in the music departament. I never heard anything from him.

The biggest problem of this movie is the timing. Coming after the critically acclaimed DBS Broly, which was peak DB and when the fans are craving for more 2D DBS anime.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:47 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:59 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:39 pm
Marketing.

My question to them would be for whom? & If they think it will hurt them marketing wise to age folks up I’d beg to differ Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan don’t change all that much.

Goten & Trunks? If anything fans been begging for them to age up instead of being stuck as kids.

The ladies like Bulma,18,Chi-Chi aging can easily be reversed with a filler ep making the same wish to be 5-10 years younger that Bulma wanted in Broly. Everybody else in the OG cast they barely market now (Tien,Krillin, Yamcha).
They could make a plot about Bulma causing a "time rift" or something by continuously using the DBs to stay young. Wouldn't even have to think too hard about backstories for new/non-canon characters. :lol:

Seriously though, Goten and Trunks need to look at least a little older. I have no idea why they are frozen in time.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:12 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:34 pmMaximum Over-Ultimate
Gohan: So as you can see, I'm in base form. (*powers up*) This is Ultimate.

Antagonists: Fufufu, you didn't change at all.

Gohan: Not true. My bang got slightly longer and my eyes changed. Anyway, (*powers up*) this is beyond Ultimate. You can call it "Ultimate 2".

Antagonists: This is ridiculous!

Gohan: And then... This... is to go even further beyond! (*powers up*) This is Ultimate 3. Sorry I look like a combination of my uncle and my dad as Super Saiyan 3, but nevermind that.

Like seriously….
I don't know, but as long as the characters look older, maybe it'll be fine. It seems Trunks is confirmed to appear as his voice actor is listed (then Goten will obviously appear too), so I'm looking forward to that.
Luso Saiyan wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:18 pmIs there a translation for Toriyama's new message?
Here.
Yuji wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:22 pmWhat year is Granolah taking place in? Isn't it 782 as well?
No, Granola saga takes place in AGE 781, as Moro saga already occurs at the very, very end of AGE 780. The manga establishes a timeskip of several months between these two sagas.

This movie is just one year after Granola saga. All that remains to know is if the movie will even acknowledge these manga-only sagas, I'm leaning to "no" at this point.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:26 pm

I'm gonna guess that Goku is probably barely in this.

A) We've only seen him in scenes on Beerus' world.

B) This takes place 2 years before EoZ (AGE 782), which means that, unless Toriyama disregards continuity, Bulma and Goku can't see one another, and Aya Hisakawa is listed in the cast, so Bulma's most likely in this.

So I'm gonna predict that Goku has run off to train on Beerus' world with Broly while the events of this film take place.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.