Ok here is a good one...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Spyderjsr

Ok here is a good one...

Post by Spyderjsr » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:49 pm

I dunno if this has ever been answered before but I need to ask it. I have a number of episodes of DBZ taped off TV (YTV here in Canada) during the Cell Games... These were the obvious funimation dubs etc. However at about the "Android Explosion" episode it switch to a different dub. Very very similar to the original dub of DBZ. it also contained numerous members of the Ocean Group cast. (ie. Brian Drummond as Vegeta) The music was awful, all the other voices were pretty awful etc. What was this dub? it ran all they way through to the "Final Atonement" episode thats when I stopped watching. And also on YTV they now have the same dub for GT. And unlike Funimation it started right at the beginning of the series... Any help?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:39 pm

............that IS Ocean Group......
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:54 pm

The Ocean Group/Westwood Studios dub actually dubbed from Episode 108 to the end of the series, In Canada they only show from the mid-Cell Games though. It uses music combined from the Mega Man series, and music written by Tom Keenlyside, Jon Mitchell and David Iris. The quality of the voices often depend on the commitments of the actors at that time of recording, they are busy people :shock: It is an alternate "Internationally Distributed" version. Just YTV had already bought well into FUNimation's Cell before this came along.

Dragonball, and Dragonball GT's alternate "International English" Dubs are by Blue Water Studios in Calgary (wholly unrelated to the Ocean Studios DBZ Dub), which is a whole different cast, but it contains the original Music. The Blue Water Studio became involved when the rights discussions fell through with Ocean Studios due to a Actors' Union dispute, so the rights were sold to Blue Water for the International "Alternate English" versions.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:06 pm

my bad. Ocean, Water, both comprised of Hydrogen, Oxygen and DB dubs. You understand.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Spyderjsr

Post by Spyderjsr » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:45 pm

ok kool thanx.

I was not aware that Ocean Group continued the series past Ginyu.

Sorry to say but I like the Funimation much better.... Only redeeming factor is Drummonds Vegeta :lol:

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:18 pm

Every Ocean ep from 108 to the end was aired in the UK. I have mixed options on Ocean vs FUNi. I humbly think Ocean's Mr. Satan and Buu are far better than FUNi's version. However I feel Kibito sounds better in the FUNi version. I think FUNi Teen Gohan and Ocean Tean Gohan are as good as each other. Music, well Ocean is meant to use music that's more like the Japanise music which I think is a better idea. Sadly though it wasn't until pratically the end of DBZ that Ocean used the words "Death", "Die" and "Kill", making it more kiddy than it should have been. But that's just my opinion. I haven't seen or heard many FUNi eps from 108 to the end so I can't speak for them all.