Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi Launch Podcast About Vic Mignogna Defamation Case

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi Launch Podcast About Vic Mignogna Defamation Case

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:59 am

The topic of this thread is a specific podcast series. Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:06 am

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:30 pm It's really interesting, too -- those few people that I've directly responded to and asked if they're actually reading the posts they're responding to... we haven't heard back from them yet. I wonder if they actually did read the words. 'Cuz if so, man, wow.
I really hope it won't get me banned, since i really like this place, but ok...here we go:

I didn't listen to podcast, because frankly, i don't care, Funimation is terrible company i wish got closed, full of terrible people, and in this particular case, it's one bad person hurting another bad person.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:21 am

OK, well you are just intentionally, purposefully, willfully ignorant and demonstrably wrong. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It’s clear the grifters gotcha completely hoodwinked.

And yet here you are. Your reading of and posting on a site like Kanzenshuu is in direct opposition to the viewpoints you’re expressing. How does that make you feel? How do you reconcile all this with yourself? Surely that means there’s something down there in you going “oh shit well huh”.

I think you’ve expressed before that you’re young. It’s OK. You got duped. You can overcome it. Actual maturity is learning when you’re wrong, accepting it, and expressing a willingness to grow from it.

But if you’re not willing to do so, then no, we’re not willing to have you here.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:30 am

coola wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:06 am
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:30 pm It's really interesting, too -- those few people that I've directly responded to and asked if they're actually reading the posts they're responding to... we haven't heard back from them yet. I wonder if they actually did read the words. 'Cuz if so, man, wow.
I really hope it won't get me banned, since i really like this place, but ok...here we go:

I didn't listen to podcast, because frankly, i don't care, Funimation is terrible company i wish got closed, full of terrible people, and in this particular case, it's one bad person hurting another bad person.
No, can you actually explain how Monica and Jamie are bad people? Surely, you don’t think speaking out against their own sexual harassment makes them bad people. Because that would make you an idiot and part of the problem.

Can you explain why Funimation is a terrible company? I would agree they’re somewhat incompetent and have benefited from nepotism and failing upwards, but something tell me when you say they’re terrible you don’t mean “shitty home video releases”

Why is Funimation full of terrible people? There’s some actors like Chuck Huber and Eric Vale that make me go hmmmm but by and large they seem like mostly normal people. Hopefully you don’t think they’re terrible people because they let a guy go for serial sexual harassment.

This both side-isms mentality is stupid.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:51 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:30 am

No, can you actually explain how Monica and Jamie are bad people? Surely, you don’t think speaking out against their own sexual harassment makes them bad people. Because that would make you an idiot and part of the problem.

Can you explain why Funimation is a terrible company? I would agree they’re somewhat incompetent and have benefited from nepotism and failing upwards, but something tell me when you say they’re terrible you don’t mean “shitty home video releases”

Why is Funimation full of terrible people? There’s some actors like Chuck Huber and Eric Vale that make me go hmmmm but by and large they seem like mostly normal people. Hopefully you don’t think they’re terrible people because they let a guy go for serial sexual harassment.

You are correct, there are lots of decent people, like Sonny Strait, Colleen Clinkenbeard, didnt hear bad thing about Monica Rial too, but we also have arrogant primadonna like Schemmel, and Marchi put her feminist agenda into works, that doesn't belong to her, fanatism is bad on both left and right.

Crappy home releases aside, I'm not fan how big they get, monopoly and almost no competition is never a good thing.
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:57 am

coola wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:51 am ...but we also have arrogant primadonna like Schemmel, and Marchi put her feminist agenda into works, that doesn't belong to her, fanatism is bad on both left and right.

Crappy home releases aside, I'm not fan how big they get, monopoly and almost no competition is never a good thing.
Really? If you are talking about that line about beauty standards in Dragon Maid, that is practically a non-issue. The only people who "should" be offended by that are the MRAs (namely the ones who would still defend dicky vicky here).

Agreed with the final sentence, though.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:02 am

coola wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:51 am

You are correct, there are lots of decent people, like Sonny Strait, Colleen Clinkenbeard, didnt hear bad thing about Monica Rial too, but we also have arrogant primadonna like Schemmel, and Marchi put her feminist agenda into works, that doesn't belong to her, fanatism is bad on both left and right.

Hopefully you understand that advocating for feminism is not the same as sexual harassment. Like, they’re not two sides of the same coin. If you don’t like Marchi adding feminist text to her adaptation scripts fine whatever, but that’s not indication of her being a terrible person and it’s certainly not “As bad as Mignogna but from the left”

And Schemmel is overbearing and annoying at worst unless I’m missing something. I know guys like Sean Schemmel and while I can only deal with them in small doses they’re generally harmless.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:16 am

Making an addition from an original work in one's dub does not make someone a bad person nor worth of sexual assault. Why do I need to explain this?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:00 pm

What we're witnessing is someone attempting to do as much mental gymnastics as they can to justify a position they've been swindled into. It's a last-ditch effort. It's all they can do, because it's so hard to admit that you're wrong.

They're an OK person at heart. Some of the things they're expressing are genuine, caring viewpoints. They're just wrapped up in a whole bunch of bullshit. All they have are these couple minor examples (There's that one feminist line! I heard that one guy is kinda rude!) that have been force-fed to them and constantly get regurgitated. It's like cult programming.

We know that tossing logic bomb after logic bomb at them doesn't work. We have the research that shows it just makes people double-down on their (wrong) viewpoints.

So rather than "Gotcha! You're a hypocrite!"... I mean, I don't know what else to do. I'm doing what I think is right. I'm telling them that they're wrong, they know they're wrong, they're an OK person, that they've been led astray, it's OK to admit that, and we're willing to have you if you're willing to do that.

We know from "the other side" that if you just keep repeating the same thing over and over it becomes truth, right? So we'll likewise just keep saying the same thing over and over. Except it's the actual truth.

(This is, of course, different from the previous kind of folks, even earlier in this own thread, whose bullshit we have no obligation to even remotely entertain. Save the ones you can. Fuck off with the others.)

One of the points raised in the podcast is how bat-shit-insane it is that the con-artists can spend literal years spewing hate and misinformation and raising money... but the instant, years later, that two people actually involved, who haven't actually said anything about it for years, say something? On an un-sponsored/non-monetized, unaffiliated podcast? And you won't even give it the time of day?

That says a lot and you gotta reflect on that.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:22 pm

Marchi is not a bad person for writing that line, even if I think it's silly and inaccurate to the JP version.

If Hit saying "time to make the donuts" in Super is not pushing pro-donut propaganda, then a line lampshading men thirsting over The Big Titty Dragon Lady Who is Also A Pedophile is not pushing a "feminist agenda".

Let's say it is though. What's so scary about feminism? Oh no, some people are gonna talk to me about how to not be misogynist. How will I ever recover from the terrifying horror of someone saying things to me.

Yeah, I was scared of mild critique back in high school too, but shockingly, despite every YouTube grifter's prediction, eight years out from gamergate, we have not become a forcefemmed communist black-supremacist Muslim anarchist theocracy where it's illegal to be straight. As fun as some of those things sound, it really was just about not letting women have opinions on things for them.

Also, Funimation does suck, but it's because their products, service and work culture are generally pretty awful, and if 2019 proved anything, it's that they clearly care so little about their employees to allow a creep like Mignogna to operate among them for actual decades, and only dropped him when the press got too bad.

Seriously, even at peak kickvic, the Funi subreddit was clogged with several times more "the site/app is not working please help" posts by an order of magnitude, and still is.

Also, Schemmel seems like kind of a jerk, being possessive of the Goku role despite not being all that good, that business with Pete Kelamis at the convention et al. But that's not equivalent in the slightest to years of sexual harassment and assault. If you wanted to argue, in isolation, that Schemmel was unprofessional and should be dropped... that's not unfair, and a lot of people here might agree with you. But this framing, where you only care because he was on the victims' side, is just dishonest.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:00 pm They're an OK person at heart. Some of the things they're expressing are genuine, caring viewpoints. They're just wrapped up in a whole bunch of bullshit. All they have are these couple minor examples (There's that one feminist line! I heard that one guy is kinda rude!) that have been force-fed to them and constantly get regurgitated. It's like cult programming.

We know that tossing logic bomb after logic bomb at them doesn't work. We have the research that shows it just makes people double-down on their (wrong) viewpoints.

So rather than "Gotcha! You're a hypocrite!"... I mean, I don't know what else to do. I'm doing what I think is right. I'm telling them that they're wrong, they know they're wrong, they're an OK person, that they've been led astray, it's OK to admit that, and we're willing to have you if you're willing to do that.

We know from "the other side" that if you just keep repeating the same thing over and over it becomes truth, right? So we'll likewise just keep saying the same thing over and over. Except it's the actual truth.
The two secrets, for me, was to do it as nicely, and succinctly, as possible. I'd be nice as could be—I'd refuse to confirm any negative stereotypes they had of us being jerks. I'd also see how long their message was, and respond with a counter-point only slightly longer than that (sometimes even shorter).

It's how I talked a few over to our way of thinking back then. I'd take an hour or two to converse with them, respond to each point quick as I could (preferably while), and then they'd then thank me for being nicer than anyone else they'd debated with on the subject.

At least, that's how it seemed to me.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:59 am

Shaddy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:22 pm Seriously, even at peak kickvic, the Funi subreddit was clogged with several times more "the site/app is not working please help" posts by an order of magnitude, and still is.
legit, the TV app for funimation is one of the most broken apps i've ever used, it's actually kinda crazy.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:36 am

I’d like someone to link me the whole “feminist works” thingy.

Anyhow that doesn’t make you a bad person changing dub lines, if you recognise me, I’m the person that has created topics and argued for weeks on end about how changing lines Willy nilly is fucking stupid, however, it doesn’t make them bad people.

Is Sean Schemmel a egotistical bastard sometimes? Yes. Is he a bad person? No, I don’t think so anyway.

Feminism is the foundation for human rights may I add, it’s become extremely intersectional and fighting against toxic masculinity is fighting for men believe it or not, because saying men can’t cry is harmful, and most feminists don’t do that.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:23 am

It makes me sad what Vic Stands have put these women through.

As someone who has been sexually abused in the past, I have to say - people not believing you or downplaying the severity is something that almost more traumatizing than the abuse itself. These women had hundreds, if not thousands of people doing it to them aggressively. My thoughts and support are with you ladies.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:01 am

I guess my main "problem" with feminism/left, is situation in my country, 90% heads of feminist/LGBT movements are people, who is 1980's were part of communist government or their organizations, that's why lots young feminists or homosexuals don't wanna be represent by them or LGBT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Hyacinth
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:11 am

Peach wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:23 am It makes me sad what Vic Stands have put these women through.

As someone who has been sexually abused in the past, I have to say - people not believing you or downplaying the severity is something that almost more traumatizing than the abuse itself. These women had hundreds, if not thousands of people doing it to them aggressively. My thoughts and support are with you ladies.
I hope that this will be my only contribution to this powder keg, but this is so true.

We know how fans can be--they can be downright aggressive. I can only imagine how many nameless, faceless keyboard warriors came out during a difficult time in these women's lives, while they were at their most raw and exposed, to attack them because these people just couldn't believe that Vic--a voice actor who almost none of them personally knew--would do such things.

I don't know why the initial reaction is to think that the victim is lying. Why would any victim lie? Of course it's happened and of course there was always an ulterior motive in those situations, but that is the WRONG initial mindset to take. There should be no initial mindset--let it unfold as it will. All these people who jumped out of their seats ra-ra'ing Vic from their computer chairs didn't help anything.

Let's just all agree that none of us were there. Let's also agree that people don't tend to do the things that Vic was accused of doing in front of a group of people. So all of these people who need "proof" and "witnesses" are just silly and their opinion on the matter should automatically be disregarded. I'm sorry, but come on.

I know people who have been sexually harassed and sexually abused. No, I didn't ask them to provide me with proof. I've come to generally find that while someone out there might acuse a person of these horrific things for money, to increase standing, or I guess in weird cases, for attention, this is an incredibly painful process to do it through and most people would likely not subject themselves to that just to throw someone else under the bus.

But I do absolutely know that accusors are treated so terribly that most don't even want to bother to come out and speak the truth. Whether it's an aggressive defense legal team that jumps all over them, or the general public who just can't believe that sweet old grandpa John would be such a disgusting piece of trash, the way our society treats people who have been sexually abused is nothing short of disgusting. I do not want to call the people who have been sexually abused "victims," but I will call the people that committed the abuse "disgusting," "garbage," "scum," and "criminals." I truly believe that anything to do with sexual abuse (obviously it ranges in severity, but still) is the worst thing you can do.

So, my sincerest, most heartfelt synpathies to anyone who's ever gone through any degree of sexual abuse/assault/harassment. Shame on any fake accusors for fueling the dumpster fire. And to anyone who's ever done anything sexual to anyone else against their wishes and anyone who finds it okay or thinks that it's no big deal--F you.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:53 am

coola wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:01 am I guess my main "problem" with feminism/left, is situation in my country, 90% heads of feminist/LGBT movements are people, who is 1980's were part of communist government or their organizations, that's why lots young feminists or homosexuals don't wanna be represent by them or LGBT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Hyacinth
Self-proclaiming yourself a communist, feminist or queer rights activist does not actually make oneself either of those things. The US calls itself a democracy and it most definitely is not, after all.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:23 am

coola wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:01 am I guess my main "problem" with feminism/left, is situation in my country, 90% heads of feminist/LGBT movements are people, who is 1980's were part of communist government or their organizations, that's why lots young feminists or homosexuals don't wanna be represent by them or LGBT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Hyacinth
Wow. It's not like being a totalitarian gay-killer is inherent to being a leftist. Ever heard of libertarian socialism? Anarcho-communism? Syndicalism? Queer anarchism? Real, genuine democratic socialism (non of that Democrat Party VS-ing)?

It seems you haven't examined "both sides" carefully enough.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:16 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:11 am
Peach wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:23 am It makes me sad what Vic Stands have put these women through.

I hope that this will be my only contribution to this powder keg, but this is so true.

We know how fans can be--they can be downright aggressive. I can only imagine how many nameless, faceless keyboard warriors came out during a difficult time in these women's lives, while they were at their most raw and exposed, to attack them because these people just couldn't believe that Vic--a voice actor who almost none of them personally knew--would do such things.

I don't know why the initial reaction is to think that the victim is lying. Why would any victim lie? Of course it's happened and of course there was always an ulterior motive in those situations, but that is the WRONG initial mindset to take. There should be no initial mindset--let it unfold as it will. All these people who jumped out of their seats ra-ra'ing Vic from their computer chairs didn't help anything.

Let's just all agree that none of us were there. Let's also agree that people don't tend to do the things that Vic was accused of doing in front of a group of people. So all of these people who need "proof" and "witnesses" are just silly and their opinion on the matter should automatically be disregarded. I'm sorry, but come on.

I know people who have been sexually harassed and sexually abused. No, I didn't ask them to provide me with proof. I've come to generally find that while someone out there might acuse a person of these horrific things for money, to increase standing, or I guess in weird cases, for attention, this is an incredibly painful process to do it through and most people would likely not subject themselves to that just to throw someone else under the bus.

But I do absolutely know that accusors are treated so terribly that most don't even want to bother to come out and speak the truth. Whether it's an aggressive defense legal team that jumps all over them, or the general public who just can't believe that sweet old grandpa John would be such a disgusting piece of trash, the way our society treats people who have been sexually abused is nothing short of disgusting. I do not want to call the people who have been sexually abused "victims," but I will call the people that committed the abuse "disgusting," "garbage," "scum," and "criminals." I truly believe that anything to do with sexual abuse (obviously it ranges in severity, but still) is the worst thing you can do.

So, my sincerest, most heartfelt synpathies to anyone who's ever gone through any degree of sexual abuse/assault/harassment. Shame on any fake accusors for fueling the dumpster fire. And to anyone who's ever done anything sexual to anyone else against their wishes and anyone who finds it okay or thinks that it's no big deal--F you.
Exactly.

Your first, second, third, fourth, or tenth instinct should not be "she's lying."

It probably doesn't help that the Brett Kavanaugh nomination and Jussie Smollett controversies happened during all this, turning False Allegations into an exaggerated culture war issue.

Nothing but support and good vibes for these women. I can't speak for the entire fanbase, but I know that I'm listening to your side of the story, ladies! I can only hope what they've gone through is not their impression of the entire fanbase.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:23 pm

As usual there's good conversation happening here, but I would once again like to request that we try to keep things relating to the original topic here, which is this specific podcast episode (and forthcoming series). Thank you!