Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lukmendes
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Lukmendes » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:48 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:31 pm They paid respects to the original (skimming through the main DB and DBZ villains) and referenced their most recent event (ToP) to pin point where they are now. Nothing odd about it, why on earth would they go through everything? It's a movie, not a recap episode.
They didn't go into any details when it comes to the villains, just showed a quickly slideshow, and considering they decided to waste slots by giving Vegeta 2 different pictures, both from the same moment in saiyan saga (And one to Goku himself for some reason), and even showed Semi-Perfect Cell twice (Before he absorbed 18 and when he activated his self destruct), I see no reason why Zamasu isn't included in this, since it'd be at least one extra drawing to show him, and at most five, and considering how fast they all are shown, he'd take at most 2 seconds of screen time.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:56 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:48 pm
mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:31 pm They paid respects to the original (skimming through the main DB and DBZ villains) and referenced their most recent event (ToP) to pin point where they are now. Nothing odd about it, why on earth would they go through everything? It's a movie, not a recap episode.
They didn't go into any details when it comes to the villains, just showed a quickly slideshow, and considering they decided to waste slots by giving Vegeta 2 different pictures, both from the same moment in saiyan saga (And one to Goku himself for some reason), and even showed Semi-Perfect Cell twice (Before he absorbed 18 and when he activated his self destruct), I see no reason why Zamasu isn't included in this, since it'd be at least one extra drawing to show him, and at most five, and considering how fast they all are shown, he'd take at most 2 seconds of screen time.
They paid respects to the original. They didn't show anything past Buu, and a lot more has happened than Zamasu showing up.

Also, after skimming though the Z villains, past Buu we see Goku's SSGod face, he achieved SSGod after the Buu arc, a nice touch.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:13 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:56 pm They paid respects to the original. They didn't show anything past Buu, and a lot more has happened than Zamasu showing up.

Also, it works in another way, after skimming though the Z villains, past Buu we see Goku's SSGod face, he achieved SSGod after Buu arc.
Not showing characters like Beerus, Hit and Jiren makes more sense, they're not exactly villains like Goku was talking about there (Although considering Fat Boo is included in this at all, Beerus being there wouldn't be that far fetched), it's just odd to arbitrarily skip Zamasu, why stop at Z when this is a Super movie that happens after Zamasu?

It's also a bit odd they skipped over Freeza's return, but having Freeza already shown there makes it more understandable, but again, the complete lack of Zamasu is odd, can't see any good reason for him to not be there.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:32 pm

The debate about what’s canon between the Super anime and manga is kind of laughable when going off the movies. I think the movies should be treated the same as most anime movies: simple, self-contained stories that can be enjoyed by any casual fan whether or not they’re invested in the ongoing series.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:46 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:32 pm The debate about what’s canon between the Super anime and manga is kind of laughable when going off the movies. I think the movies should be treated the same as most anime movies: simple, self-contained stories that can be enjoyed by any casual fan whether or not they’re invested in the ongoing series.
But Broly can fit with the anime and it looks like Hero will too.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:53 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:46 pm
Kataphrut wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:32 pm The debate about what’s canon between the Super anime and manga is kind of laughable when going off the movies. I think the movies should be treated the same as most anime movies: simple, self-contained stories that can be enjoyed by any casual fan whether or not they’re invested in the ongoing series.
That’s beside the point. Broly and Hero can fit with both, but also you don’t need to be keeping up with either one to enjoy them.

Super Hero is the sequel to the hit movie ‘Dragon Ball Super: Broly’, which itself was a sequel to the modern classic ‘Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F’ if you see what I mean.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:01 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:53 pm
That’s beside the point. Broly and Hero can fit with both, but also you don’t need to be keeping up with either one to enjoy them.

Super Hero is the sequel to the hit movie ‘Dragon Ball Super: Broly’, which itself was a sequel to the modern classic ‘Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F’ if you see what I mean.
Hero already has 2 big contradictions discussed earlier and Broly has some as well like Blue having an aura and Kefla/Ribrianne being shown when Goku discussed the powerful fighters he fought at the ToP.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:25 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:01 pm

Hero already has 2 big contradictions discussed earlier and Broly has some as well like Blue having an aura and Kefla/Ribrianne being shown when Goku discussed the powerful fighters he fought at the ToP.
Again, I don’t think Toriyama was too fussed about details like that when he wrote the movie. Broly glossed over a bunch of things from both the anime and manga because neither of them are that important. Super Hero will certainly do the same.

Don’t get me wrong, if I had a horse in this race it would be the anime. As far as I’m concerned, Toyotaro’s manga lost the right to call itself canon when it omitted Toriyama’s tingly backs Super Saiyan description. But again, it doesn’t really matter. You can enjoy both or neither and still get the same experience out of the movies.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:23 pm

The previous villains being shown in Broly might've been added by Toei to recap the series for the casual audience. Even if Toriyama wrote the script, I don't think he outlined every single frame of the film including the frame showing some ToP contestants. I recall the only event they referenced between RoF and Broly was the ToP which was probably to explain why Freeza was alive again for the audience that only watches the films.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:38 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:25 pm As far as I’m concerned, Toyotaro’s manga lost the right to call itself canon when it omitted Toriyama’s tingly backs Super Saiyan description.
ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:01 pm Broly has some as well like Blue having an aura and Kefla/Ribrianne being shown when Goku discussed the powerful fighters he fought at the ToP.
Lukmendes wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:48 pm I see no reason why Zamasu isn't included in this, since it'd be at least one extra drawing to show him, and at most five, and considering how fast they all are shown, he'd take at most 2 seconds of screen time.
The last two pages of this thread may contain the most pedantic series of posts I've seen in this forum's history, the above quotes are just highlights, nothing personal guys.

I was hoping for some further analysis and discussion of the trailer... but this level of nitpicking is just a bit weird...

As far as I'm concerned Dragon Ball simply has three continuities now: movies, manga and TV anime series.
Last edited by The Monkey King on Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:49 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:25 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:01 pm

Again, I don’t think Toriyama was too fussed about details like that when he wrote the movie. Broly glossed over a bunch of things from both the anime and manga because neither of them are that important. Super Hero will certainly do the same.

Don’t get me wrong, if I had a horse in this race it would be the anime. As far as I’m concerned, Toyotaro’s manga lost the right to call itself canon when it omitted Toriyama’s tingly backs Super Saiyan description. But again, it doesn’t really matter. You can enjoy both or neither and still get the same experience out of the movies.
The only thing Broly ignored from the anime is Kaioken but it would have been useless against SS Broly so it's not a big deal. The points I mentioned are clear contradictions to the manga.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:00 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:10 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:29 pm Toei: "Nobody knows who Moro or Granola are. We can't reference that obscure, manga only stuff."

Also Toei: "Hey. You all know who Jaco is, right? From that spinoff manga? Yeah, of course you know. Well, here he is. Oh, also, Bulma has a sister named Tights, but you already knew that."
Clearly, Toriyama is the deciding factor here and it's a fair one imo :lol:
KentMan wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:45 amGranolah might be a spoiler for all we know. And this Bio puts a dent in the anime since in the manga Jiren beat UI Goku and he didn’t use that super full power that he had until facing both Goku and Vegeta. Where as in the anime Goku beat Jiren until his body gave out.
Are you shitposting? Are you trolling us all?

Seriously, the bio is pretty plain, to the point and innocuous, all it does is list the last two opponents Goku fought within the anime, the medium that DBS Super Hero is clearly basing it's canon on... and nothing else.

Anyway here's some new info on Piccolo's new transformation
Based on what we just saw, it appears that the latent power dormant inside Piccolo has been unleashed, giving rise to a brand-new form for the Namekian warrior!
https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_905.html

Maybe Piccolo visited New Namek and met a Namekian (probably Moori) that could unleash his potential like Guru could :think:
Yeah no I ain’t trolling the anime can’t fit this movie or even the Broly movie. There are too many contradictions for them to fit.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:06 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:49 pm The only thing Broly ignored from the anime is Kaioken but it would have been useless against SS Broly so it's not a big deal. The points I mentioned are clear contradictions to the manga.
Frieza doesn’t know fusion what’s so ever and Vegeta was using SSG something the anime never had him do. Him not using kaioken or the kaioken like technique doesn’t mean anything since it exists in both Anime and Manga but they ain’t the same. When I posted that bio I wasn’t debating about canon but alas I should have known better that you guys would start arguing and claiming which is canon.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:24 pm

KentMan wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:06 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:49 pm The only thing Broly ignored from the anime is Kaioken but it would have been useless against SS Broly so it's not a big deal. The points I mentioned are clear contradictions to the manga.
Frieza doesn’t know fusion what’s so ever and Vegeta was using SSG something the anime never had him do. Him not using kaioken or the kaioken like technique doesn’t mean anything since it exists in both Anime and Manga but they ain’t the same. When I posted that bio I wasn’t debating about canon but alas I should have known better that you guys would start arguing and claiming which is canon.
Freeza just saw Gotenks once for less than a minute, he can forget about fusion. Besides, he only asks who Gogeta is.

The anime never said Vegeta couldn't do SSG. It's not a contradiction.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:37 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:24 pm
Freeza just saw Gotenks once for less than a minute, he can forget about fusion. Besides, he only asks who Gogeta is.

Whilst I could get behind his not fully processing Gotenks since he was cuaght up in his revenge trip with full ego, he also witnessed Kefla in Both Anime and Manga.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:44 pm

Krillin1994 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:37 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:24 pm

Whilst I could get behind his not fully processing Gotenks since he was cuaght up in his revenge trip with full ego, he also witnessed Kefla in Both Anime and Manga.
Freeza just asks who Gogeta is. Gogeta is the one that says Freeza doesn't know what fusion is so it's not as clear cut if he forgot about fusion or not.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:02 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:24 pmFreeza just saw Gotenks once for less than a minute, he can forget about fusion. Besides, he only asks who Gogeta is.

That could be a way to handwave it but I think it's most likely because Gogeta was the first fusion Toriyama included in DBS. Gotenks didn't appear in RoF and only in the anime version. Toei including Gotenks is similar to other filler that isn't taken into account by Toriyama later on in the story.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:50 am

Skar wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:23 pm The previous villains being shown in Broly might've been added by Toei to recap the series for the casual audience. [..]
I would be surprised if was not the case. Unless it's relevant and Toriyama mentions them, or Toei wants to advertise their future anime adaptations, I don't see Moro or Granola being mentioned in Superhero.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:43 am

Kataphrut wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:25 pm As far as I’m concerned, Toyotaro’s manga lost the right to call itself canon when it omitted Toriyama’s tingly backs Super Saiyan description.
THIS is the hill you're choosing to die on? That tingly back thing was one of the dumbest things in the anime. How do you become Super Saiyan? Through righteous rage? Being pushed to your limits? Experiencing great loss? Oh, no, no, no. Just concentrate your ki into a specific point on your back. That'll do it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:09 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:43 am
THIS is the hill you're choosing to die on? That tingly back thing was one of the dumbest things in the anime. How do you become Super Saiyan? Through righteous rage? Being pushed to your limits? Experiencing great loss? Oh, no, no, no. Just concentrate your ki into a specific point on your back. That'll do it.
That taps into the theme of discipline and self-improvement, so the back tingle thing is good and cool.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️