Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:07 am

KentMan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:46 pm
YamiGoku wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:41 pm I think the Gammas will end up like Beerus, not in the power sense or anything like that but in how the fanbase accept them before and after the movie. I remember a lot of people complaining about Beerus before BOG came out, they said he looked like a pokemon and what not, I think the Gammas may end up on the same boat, everyone complains about how lame they look now, but after the movie they may win a lot of people with their personalities.
You think almost everyone cares about the cat? He alongside Whis was the worst thing to happen in Dragon Ball. As if the Kai’s weren’t enough we get more of that.
Many people do like him, actually, and it’s certainly a majority
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:49 am

KentMan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:46 pm He alongside Whis was the worst thing to happen in Dragon Ball. As if the Kai’s weren’t enough we get more of that.
Beerus and especially Whis are great and I refuse to hear any slander on them :problem:
They're completely different to the Kais, so I don't get this comparison either.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:10 am

Lukmendes wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:32 pm It's even weirder if you consider how much of an advantage Trunks had against Zamasu in the same episode, while the episode can give the impression Zamasu isn't that strong and relies on immortality to keep up, later episodes quite clearly have him managing to keep up with Goku without needing his immortality at all, so twice Trunks was looking far stronger than he should in that episode.
It's not that weird, the writers (Toei) simply wanted to give Trunks a bigger role. Since the arc was the "Future Trunks" arc, they felt like Trunks should remain relevant throughout the arc, even when it made little sense, and give his part in the fight to save his world.

That's why Trunks at times was able to help in the fight against Zamasu and Black, even though, before looking for help in the past, he was constantly running away from Black. That's also why Trunks got the "Super Saiyan Rage" form and the Sword of Friendship power-up, the writers just wanted him to be relevant. And I guess that they also wanted him to get the win by ending Fused Zamasu. Even though what happens in the following episode completely invalidates his victory.

Regardless, what happens with Trunks is a case of the power levels bending to the needs of the writers. The writers wanted Trunks to play a major role in the battle to save his future against the twisted God, so they bent the story in a way that allowed Trunks to help in fights. Even though it didn't make complete sense.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:33 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:07 am Many people do like him, actually, and it’s certainly a majority
Not everyone has the same sentiment because I myself don’t fit with “many people”
Xeogran wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:49 am Beerus and especially Whis are great and I refuse to hear any slander on them :problem:
They're completely different to the Kais, so I don't get this comparison either.
There’s nothing great about them past Toriyama was trying to avoid something like this. And yes they do have something in common with the Kai’s well Beerus does anyways.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:35 am

KentMan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:33 am There’s nothing great about them past Toriyama was trying to avoid something like this.
Their sense of humor is great. Their techniques are one of the series' most unique ones.
Heck DBS wouldn't even be a thing without these two reviving the series.

Yes, past Toriyama made Gods who were usually weaker than Goku but who's to say he needed to continue the trend? It already got stale with Kaioshin not being much of help in the Buu saga.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:46 am

Whis and Beerus are hands down the best additions to the new series.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:33 am

Yeah I have no idea what Kent is on, but people generally like Whis and Beerus. I got a lot of problems with Super as a whole--those characters aren't one of them.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:12 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:04 pm I for one think the Gamma's look great, I love their designs.

A couple shark boys wearing outfits that are a combination of military uniforms and superhero costumes.

I also like how their head 'fins' are a reference to sentai heroes like Kamen Riders 1 and 2.

I think they're gonna become fan favourites (if they don't die lol), I also think part of the reason people have been slow to warm up to them is because they're making their debut in a CGI film.
Hell yeah, these guys are cool. I'm looking forward to learning what they're all about.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:34 pm

I will also raise my hand for Beerus and Whis. They are very entertaining characters. I think some people just hate them because they ruin the "stakes and consequences" of the narrative which I would argue thats how it has been since the beginning bc of the dragon balls. I think its funny that Beerus could solve the plot but actively refuses to do it sometimes.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:38 pm

The problem with Beerus and Whis is that they can kill the tension when they're around. In Resurrection F, we knew that Beerus was stronger than Frieza, so he could have instantly ended the problem. While he didn't fight, we knew he wasn't going to let the Earth be destroyed. Sure enough, when Frieza blows up the planet, Whis rewinds time and allows Goku to steal the win. By the way, Whis' powers are completely broken. He can rewind time AND revive the dead? And he's even stronger than Beerus? Yeesh.

That being said, as characters, they're great. I like them. But Beerus was better as an antagonist, and they're both best left on their home planet while the heroes are dealing with other threats.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:50 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:38 pm The problem with Beerus and Whis is that they can kill the tension when they're around. In Resurrection F, we knew that Beerus was stronger than Frieza, so he could have instantly ended the problem. While he didn't fight, we knew he wasn't going to let the Earth be destroyed. Sure enough, when Frieza blows up the planet, Whis rewinds time and allows Goku to steal the win. By the way, Whis' powers are completely broken. He can rewind time AND revive the dead? And he's even stronger than Beerus? Yeesh.

That being said, as characters, they're great. I like them. But Beerus was better as an antagonist, and they're both best left on their home planet while the heroes are dealing with other threats.
The whole "being stuck in this ten year time skip" is what reduces tension more than anything else in my opinion
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:09 pm

Whis and Beerus are really funny, DB funny, something Z never had, at least for me.

Their dynamic is awesome, Beerus treats him like his butler, and Whis takes every chance he gets to roast him, he is always reminding him of his lies, failures and previous opinions, like the Monaka situation, "oh Goku gave up, but we still have Monaka, so why worry, right?
"Oh, somebody beat Beerus in an arm wrestling match"
"Should you be pointing your finger at Zeno?"

Beerus on his own is also fantastic, his reactions to Goku's progress, or the sheer fear he has when Zeno is around. How he vibes his Champa and the other GoDs, how he vibes with the earthlings, Yamcha touching him.... he was fucking breakdancing in BoG.

I don't expect Gamma 1 and 2 to be as likeable as the gods or as popular. But I think they'll get some love.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:18 pm

omaro34 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:50 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:38 pm The problem with Beerus and Whis is that they can kill the tension when they're around. In Resurrection F, we knew that Beerus was stronger than Frieza, so he could have instantly ended the problem. While he didn't fight, we knew he wasn't going to let the Earth be destroyed. Sure enough, when Frieza blows up the planet, Whis rewinds time and allows Goku to steal the win. By the way, Whis' powers are completely broken. He can rewind time AND revive the dead? And he's even stronger than Beerus? Yeesh.

The whole "being stuck in this ten year time skip" is what reduces tension more than anything else in my opinion
That too. Could you imagine if they pulled a Final Fantasy VII Remake or live-action Cowboy Beebop and completely subverted established canon? Unfortunately, Goku and Vegeta are already grandpas before the time skip, so unless they decide to pass the torch off to the next generation, going past Z would mean they and the entire cast just keeps getting older. Will Goku and Vegeta still be discovering new Super Saiyan transformations in the nursing home?

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:49 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:18 pm
omaro34 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:50 pm

That too. Could you imagine if they pulled a Final Fantasy VII Remake or live-action Cowboy Beebop and completely subverted established canon? Unfortunately, Goku and Vegeta are already grandpas before the time skip, so unless they decide to pass the torch off to the next generation, going past Z would mean they and the entire cast just keeps getting older. Will Goku and Vegeta still be discovering new Super Saiyan transformations in the nursing home?
It's Dragon Ball. Goku and Vegeta LIVE to gain strength; you think a silly little thing like age will stop them? Enma Daio could restore their bodies to how they looked at the finale of the Cell Games (Goku) and before Vegeta committed die against Majin Boo (Vegeta) and they can push themselves even further in Other World.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:06 pm

I saw multiple articles on facebook that said that Eduardo Garza Director of the Mexican dub confirms Super Hero for June for all the Continent, anyone can confirm this?
Last edited by YamiGoku on Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:14 pm

June seems reasonable. Funi has been pretty quick to release current anime movies these days. I imagine US and Mexico could be the earliest non Asian Pacific release of the movie.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:34 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:06 pm I saw multiple articles on facebook that said that Eduardo Garza Director of the Mexican dub confirms Super Hero for June for all the Continent, anyone can confirm this?
Yeah. He said it supposedly opens in June in all America. The dub in Mexico will start in about a month

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:53 pm

dva_raza wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:34 pm
YamiGoku wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:06 pm I saw multiple articles on facebook that said that Eduardo Garza Director of the Mexican dub confirms Super Hero for June for all the Continent, anyone can confirm this?
Yeah. He said it supposedly opens in June in all America. The dub in Mexico will start in about a month
Thanks!

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:25 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:35 am Their sense of humor is great. Their techniques are one of the series' most unique ones.
Heck DBS wouldn't even be a thing without these two reviving the series.

Yes, past Toriyama made Gods who were usually weaker than Goku but who's to say he needed to continue the trend? It already got stale with Kaioshin not being much of help in the Buu saga.
I ain’t talking about that it’s the fact that we have more of these pests than needed and they were as useless as Shin. Beerus and Whis should be antagonists them being the “good guys” makes zero sense. Him Shin and Whis are more responsible for U7 being second to last and almost getting their Universe destroyed not Goku.

Than you have Broly Beerus refused to go with them and help them. What makes it worse is when Goku says Broly might be stronger than Beerus. So Goku and Vegeta who don’t have UI and UE are dealing with a destroyer level or possibly higher opponent. And his only response at the end is everything turned out okay. I won’t get to Moro or how he and Whis messed up.

It’s no wonder he was treated as Zeno horsey

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:39 pm

dva_raza wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:34 pm
Great news. I'm definitely seeing this on theaters.