Why does Toei still call Super Saiyan Blue, "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why does Toei still call Super Saiyan Blue, "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan"?

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:49 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:56 pm
• (Super Saiyan) God Super Saiyan.
• God Super Saiyan.
• Super Saiyan God (and the actual "Super Saiyan God" should have been called something else).
Calling it Super Saiyan Blue, infers that there's a Super Saiyan Green, and Super Saiyan Orange, and Super Saiyan Red, and Super Saiyan Magenta and so forth out there. I think it should have been called Super Saiyan God Blue.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Re: Why does Toei still call Super Saiyan Blue, "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan"?

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:06 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:38 pm
Grimlock wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:36 pm It's not Toei, it's just the merchandising part of the franchise that (thankfully) uses that name.

"Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" is the better name here. Though there is a repetition, it conveys what the form is about. "Super Saiyan Blue" is you basic, without-any-thought name.
Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan feels so redundant though...Super Saiyan Blue may be basic but it does get the basic idea across, from a visual standpoint at least.

EDIT: Didn't realize I left the second Super Saiyan out
I edited this to fix the error
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:46 pm

I don't call SS2 "super saiyan ascended fifth grade", I'm not calling SSB "super saiyan god super saiyan" and that's pretty much that.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:24 pm

SSGSS is stupid name for stupid looking form, but it actually tells you what this form exactly is underneath, while SSB, despite being much simplier, tells you only what the form look like, not what it is. Which one is better, or rather less awful? Matter of opinion.

Although I wouldn't blame SSB form itself for its name (only for its design). SSG started it. There is no reason for SSG to be called the way it is. It's not Super Saiyan. If it was, SSGSS wouldn't be a thing. You can't be Super Saiyan and turn Super Saiyan. It's like if they invented Oozaru after SS forms and called it "Super Saiyan Ape" for whatever reason and then call Golden Oozaru "Super Saiyan Ape Super Saiyan".

The same way SS4 shouldn't have "4" in its name because it's not natural SS3 successor, SSG shouldn't have "SS" in its name, because it has nothing to do with SS forms. Honestly they should just use "Saiyan God". Then SSGSS/SSB would be called "Super Saiyan God".
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:40 pm

I don't fully agree with that. Super Saiyan God is a transformation, above their natural Saiyan selves, but with the lineage of a God. "God" by itself does not necessarily mean that it's higher, because it appeals to the idea of a role, thus the need to point out that it's a new form. If I wanted to be ridiculous, then I would say that a Super Saiyan 2 is a "Saiyan 2" that went Super, which is in line with the argument of Saiyan God making more sense.

That's not where I want it to rest though. Instead, I would like to point out that Goku has become a deity through transformation, and that Super Saiyan Blue uses the power of that deity, whether SSGSS should be the form of a God or not. Likewise, Ultra Instincts is a transformation that gave Goku a new technique that manifests itself in his lower forms now, so perhaps when Goku masters the power of a God, it shows through without the need to transform, and he therefore becomes a "Saiyan God" (the picture that comes to mind is that of his base that is God-like, hence the "God-like Super Saiyan" name for the golden transformation, interpreted from the Battle of Gods movie).

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:42 pm

They just could've kept things simple and called it Super Saiyan God 2...

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:05 pm

And how is that simple exactly?

What if Goku finally decided to combine the power of Super Saiyan God with Super Saiyan 2 (effectively making it Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan 2)? Would we be calling it Super Saiyan God 3?

When you have "Super Saiyan" and "3" in the name, only one thing comes to mind.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:10 pm

Desassina wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:03 am To me, God-like Super Saiyan was the prototype of Super Saiyan Blue in Battle of Gods, when Goku transformed with the power of SSG still burning in him, or when Goku Black fought Vegeta without ascending, above that of SS2 and 3. It's similar to Super Saiyan at full power having surpassed the grades and an attempt by the author to simplify things. However, the movie concept was confusing against his will, hence why the power of SSG in Super Saiyan form is better in Blue. It also makes for a cool acronym: SSGSS. As a side note, I've seen people clear the argument of whether Gohan was Super Saiyan or SS2 against Dabra by saying that he was both, a SS2SS :lol:.
Gohan lacked the lightning sparks, which were there when he used it against Kibito, so I think he wasn't using SS2 against Dabura.

Worth pointing out that Gohan didn't recover at full power, so maybe that's why he couldn't go SS2.
Aim wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:37 am Did they? I don’t think he did, he said: https://ibb.co/1RzV0Wk
https://ibb.co/517RFxp
Oh, it's an "almost there" case then, I misremembered the moment.
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:46 pm I don't call SS2 "super saiyan ascended fifth grade", I'm not calling SSB "super saiyan god super saiyan" and that's pretty much that.
If we go by how SS2 was originally called, it'd "Super Saiyan level beyond the original Super Saiyan", so it's even longer than what you said :lol:.
sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:24 pm SSGSS is stupid name for stupid looking form, but it actually tells you what this form exactly is underneath, while SSB, despite being much simplier, tells you only what the form look like, not what it is. Which one is better, or rather less awful? Matter of opinion.

Although I wouldn't blame SSB form itself for its name (only for its design). SSG started it. There is no reason for SSG to be called the way it is. It's not Super Saiyan. If it was, SSGSS wouldn't be a thing. You can't be Super Saiyan and turn Super Saiyan. It's like if they invented Oozaru after SS forms and called it "Super Saiyan Ape" for whatever reason and then call Golden Oozaru "Super Saiyan Ape Super Saiyan".

The same way SS4 shouldn't have "4" in its name because it's not natural SS3 successor, SSG shouldn't have "SS" in its name, because it has nothing to do with SS forms. Honestly they should just use "Saiyan God". Then SSGSS/SSB would be called "Super Saiyan God".
I pointed out a few times that SSG could be called "Saiyan God", which would make Blue being "Super Saiyan God", though Blue wasn't planned at the time, and thing is, Saiyan God just doesn't sound as impressive, and that wouldn't work as well in its debut film...

On the other hand, UI and UE show that saiyans can adapt weird powers as transformations, so SSG stands out by being called that, when it could just have another name that indicates it's a saiyan with the power of a god, but, hindsight is 20/20 lol.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:26 am

Desassina wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:03 am To me, God-like Super Saiyan was the prototype of Super Saiyan Blue in Battle of Gods, when Goku transformed with the power of SSG still burning in him, or when Goku Black fought Vegeta without ascending, above that of SS2 and 3. It's similar to Super Saiyan at full power having surpassed the grades and an attempt by the author to simplify things. However, the movie concept was confusing against his will, hence why the power of SSG in Super Saiyan form is better in Blue. It also makes for a cool acronym: SSGSS. As a side note, I've seen people clear the argument of whether Gohan was Super Saiyan or SS2 against Dabra by saying that he was both, a SS2SS :lol:.
Well, God-like Super Saiyan isn’t a thing, it’s just a name I coined for SSGSS. I don’t think SSGSS was a prototype in BoG, I do think that God-like Saiyan was a thing because Son Goku absorbed Super Saiyan God and made the power his own.

Lukmendes wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:10 pm Gohan lacked the lightning sparks, which were there when he used it against Kibito, so I think he wasn't using SS2 against Dabura.

Worth pointing out that Gohan didn't recover at full power, so maybe that's why he couldn't go SS2.
No he was SS2 against Kibito. As for Dabra I’m not too sure, I’m pretty sure he’s just SS.
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:46 pm I don't call SS2 "super saiyan ascended fifth grade", I'm not calling SSB "super saiyan god super saiyan" and that's pretty much that.
Difference is Toriyama outright put out Super Saiyan 2 instead of Super Saiyan Grade Five. SSGSS is just the name, not the description. For it to follow your logic it would have to be called “Saiyan with the powers of Super Saiyan God gone Super Saiyan” or “Saiyan with powers of Super Saiyan God and this is the Super Saiyan version of that.” Not “Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan”.
sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:24 pm SSGSS is stupid name for stupid looking form, but it actually tells you what this form exactly is underneath, while SSB, despite being much simplier, tells you only what the form look like, not what it is. Which one is better, or rather less awful? Matter of opinion.

This doesn’t make sense, it’s a Super Saiyan transformation, just a divine one. The whole reason Super Saiyan God exists is because of Yamoshi, the original Super Saiyan/God.
Desassina wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:40 pm I don't fully agree with that. Super Saiyan God is a transformation, above their natural Saiyan selves, but with the lineage of a God. "God" by itself does not necessarily mean that it's higher, because it appeals to the idea of a role, thus the need to point out that it's a new form. If I wanted to be ridiculous, then I would say that a Super Saiyan 2 is a "Saiyan 2" that went Super, which is in line with the argument of Saiyan God making more sense.

That's not where I want it to rest though. Instead, I would like to point out that Goku has become a deity through transformation, and that Super Saiyan Blue uses the power of that deity, whether SSGSS should be the form of a God or not. Likewise, Ultra Instincts is a transformation that gave Goku a new technique that manifests itself in his lower forms now, so perhaps when Goku masters the power of a God, it shows through without the need to transform, and he therefore becomes a "Saiyan God" (the picture that comes to mind is that of his base that is God-like, hence the "God-like Super Saiyan" name for the golden transformation, interpreted from the Battle of Gods movie).

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:27 pm

Aim wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:26 am No he was SS2 against Kibito. As for Dabra I’m not too sure, I’m pretty sure he’s just SS.
I did say he's SS2 against Kibito lol.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Grande Pesquisador

Post by Grande Pesquisador » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:58 pm

I prefer Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan as it conveys the idea behind the transformation. Blue is something very visual and simple. Have you ever thought if we called it Super Saiyan Blonde, Super Saiyan Red or Super Saiyan Hairy?

That said, I'm against the decision to create a transformation just two years after one we saw for ten minutes and had a pretty powerful name.

If Toriyama were someone who thought long term, the transformations could be called Saiyan God (2013) and Super Saiyan God (2015), making things a little easier to understand.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:24 pm

"Saiyan God" feels like a name of a state, rather than a full-blown transformation. It's in the same vein as the "Saiyan beyond God" state.

Well, at any rate, "becoming a god" should be just a state. But hey, they feel the need to make everything a transformation these days.

For some reason, neither Kami, Piccolo (when merged with Kami) nor Dende transformed when they became a god. :roll:

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:34 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:25 pm Seriously. EVERYONE knows that it's called Super Saiyan Blue. That's what the fans call it; that's what the manga calls it, that's even what Goku, Vegeta and Vegetto call it. It's been well over 6 years now; they should know it's Super Saiyan Bue.
probably some trademarking thing. I wouldn't be surprised "Super Saiyan Blue" was already trademarked for something unrelated and they just didn't want to pay to use it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:11 am

Aim wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:29 amAfter all, I think multiple times even in the anime they refer to the God forms as “feeling as if he’s a God” when referring to Son Goku in the tournament of power prematch. So I guess it really is just “god-like”.
I figured you may want to know, "god-like state" has appeared and been used in some official capacity (don't know if you knew this already, but I didn't). It refers to Saiyan beyond God, naturally. I do remember seeing "god-like state" before, in an image translated by fans. Sure, I don't know how accurate the translation of Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot is, but this might be the first time being used officially.

That means "God-like state" (referring to Saiyan beyond God) and "God-like Super Saiyan" (a name you suggested for Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan) could potentially be confusing to some people and would require a rename for the latter, maybe.

Anyway, since I didn't know this game used this name, I found this to be pretty interesting. I probably should take a look more closely to this game, to this day I still don't know each and every new information it brought.

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:54 am

I think that the term that fans coined "Saiyan Beyond God", when applied to God Ki in base, is the misinterpretation. A Saiyan who is beyond legend (either Super Saiyan or SSG) gained control of God-like power and transformed (into Super Saiyan Blue). That is the reason why he's beyond God. That Goku and Vegeta can exert themselves up to the point when they're ready to become Gods through transformation is what I call "God-like".

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:32 pm

I'm pretty sure Saiyan beyond God is an official name (or it comes from an official title, "Saiyan who has surpassed God", if I remember correctly) from Dragon Ball Heroes.

Anyway, I think I understood your point. However, as we don't have any other alternative name for that state, you can settle with "Saiyan beyond God".

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:44 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:11 am I figured you may want to know, "god-like state" has appeared and been used in some official capacity (don't know if you knew this already, but I didn't). It refers to Saiyan beyond God, naturally. I do remember seeing "god-like state" before, in an image translated by fans. Sure, I don't know how accurate the translation of Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot is, but this might be the first time being used officially.

That means "God-like state" (referring to Saiyan beyond God) and "God-like Super Saiyan" (a name you suggested for Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan) could potentially be confusing to some people and would require a rename for the latter, maybe.

Anyway, since I didn't know this game used this name, I found this to be pretty interesting. I probably should take a look more closely to this game, to this day I still don't know each and every new information it brought.
Yeah I don’t play video games really. But I still think God-like Saiyan or “Saiyan beyond God” basically was something really special that got tossed away. I don’t like all these different types of forms, I just wish we had God-like Saiyan and SSGSS.

I don’t think “God-like Super Saiyan” is all that confusing, albeit it’s not official, but it essentially conveys the same thing as SSGSS.

I honestly cannot stand all these forms, I know I sound like a broken record, but these ugly ass forms like SSGSS Evolution, Ultra Ego, etc are just fan art level of incompetence. Lots of people hate on Toriyama, but you can’t deny his simplicity is far better than the rot we have to deal with because of Toei and Toyotaro.

Imagine a world where there’s only

BASE > SS(2,3) > SSGOD > SSGSS

and any additional forms are basically only UI, which having a black haired form is so pointless. Then renaming the white haired form to mastered UI (I think that’s what happened). Insane.