Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Jord » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:13 am

Fake or not, I'm more hyped by the Raditz rumor then I am by the actual movie. I know it's far fetched but if he returns, I would like to see him up with Nappa to get revenge on Goku and Vegeta.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:51 am

Jord wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:13 am Fake or not, I'm more hyped by the Raditz rumor then I am by the actual movie. I know it's far fetched but if he returns, I would like to see him up with Nappa to get revenge on Goku and Vegeta.
Pretty sure Nappa was turned to dust. If Raditz and Nappa were simply brought back to life, the difference in power would be insurmountable. They wouldn't be a threat to any of the Z fighters. Not even Yamcha. Imagine how cathartic it would be for Yamcha to get a rematch with Nappa, and how embarrassing that defeat would be for the Saiyan.

At least with Raditz, maybe they could use his reanimated body combined with Red Ribbon tech to mend the gap in powers.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:59 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:51 am
Jord wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:13 am Fake or not, I'm more hyped by the Raditz rumor then I am by the actual movie. I know it's far fetched but if he returns, I would like to see him up with Nappa to get revenge on Goku and Vegeta.
Pretty sure Nappa was turned to dust. If Raditz and Nappa were simply brought back to life, the difference in power would be insurmountable. They wouldn't be a threat to any of the Z fighters. Not even Yamcha. Imagine how cathartic it would be for Yamcha to get a rematch with Nappa, and how embarrassing that defeat would be for the Saiyan.

At least with Raditz, maybe they could use his reanimated body combined with Red Ribbon tech to mend the gap in powers.
Oh I know that the chance is pretty slim. (although Nappa was brought back in GT) If they want to they could bring back anyone and increase their strength so they become formitable. Wouldn't be the first time they did this.
I would just like the interaction between Raditz/Nappa/Vegeta from the few times we've seem them in previous media.

Pkjoan

Post by Pkjoan » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:55 am

The fact that nobody has been able to prove this leak wrong is the most interesting part for me. Maybe in a couple of days, someone will come out and spill the beans. If it's fake.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:58 am

Pkjoan wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:55 am The fact that nobody has been able to prove this leak wrong is the most interesting part for me. Maybe in a couple of days, someone will come out and spill the beans. If it's fake.
mute_proxy wrote a reply earlier saying it's fake
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:57 am

Pkjoan wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:55 am The fact that nobody has been able to prove this leak wrong is the most interesting part for me.
We already have. I pointed out that the image of Carmine is directly ripped from an official render used for marketing and merch. Actually, Super Saiyan Swagger beat me to the punch on that, but I didn't notice at the time I posted.

This is 100% fake and frankly doesn't deserve all the traction it's getting here.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:53 pm

Please be fake Please be fake Please be fake

So this movie is about cyborgs/androids/robots huh?

Well that's cool. Haven't seen proper Androids as villains since Super 17. You know what's not cool? The creative bankruptcy that Dragon Ball is and has been suffering all these recent years. I mean, for Kami's sake, remove the franchise and everything to do with it from Toriyama's greasy hands, for once. The guy is a genius, but lightning only strikes once or whatever. It's like asking Peter Jackson to do everything related to Middle Earth on screen. You can't just make 1 guy the god of a franchise this big and with so much potential, having him supervise and control most of it. No no and no. We need fresh blood (hopefully talented blood too, but we'll never know until we try) to take over, and fast.

Anyone that even remotely follows my comments (which is to say, no one probably) would know that, to me, Super was a major disappointment, in general. But the problem is, it keeps staying low, I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. Like, a yellow Piccolo? That's his new "form"? Seriously? And I guess Trunks has blue hair now because reasons. At least he and Goten grew up, jesus christ.

Still, I don't know, after years of Dragon Ball Super drought (barring the manga), I thought they would give us something more...interesting. Like, basing myself off the trailers, it doesn't seem like they are going for an epic or "cool" movie, full of big fights and threatening looking villains. They seem to want to make a more personal movie, with gadgets and humorous scenes and that's not bad at all, don't get me wrong. But the villains don't feel like major movie villains, design-wise (oh and they have "poses", just like ginyu, saiyaman, pride troopers, and probably others I'm forgetting right now, hooray creativity), it's the RRA again (hooray creativity), and please don't get me started on that goddawful rumour. There's just little to get me excited for, except the fact that it's the first new movie in ages, and the kids are teens now (and, I guess, Piccolo's "transformation"? If they call it Yellow Piccolo, I'm walking out of the cinema right there and then).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:21 pm

Dragon Ball should definitely belong to everyone, but the idea of being original is so nebulous and very separate from actually just making good art.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:39 pm

Dragon Ball Super: SUPER HERO both novels have been rescheduled to be released on 30th June, 2022

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1511755431185575942

Maybe the movie will be near that time.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:11 pm

Gt91 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:39 pm Dragon Ball Super: SUPER HERO both novels have been rescheduled to be released on 30th June, 2022

That's good they weren't delayed for too long. What's the difference between these two novels or do they just mean Japanese and English versions?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:43 pm

Gt91 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:39 pm Dragon Ball Super: SUPER HERO both novels have been rescheduled to be released on 30th June, 2022

A man can but only hope, I don't feel like waiting another 6 months for this film.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:23 am

anubisj wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:53 pm
You know what's not cool? The creative bankruptcy that Dragon Ball is and has been suffering all these recent years. I mean, for Kami's sake, remove the franchise and everything to do with it from Toriyama's greasy hands, for once. The guy is a genius, but lightning only strikes once or whatever. It's like asking Peter Jackson to do everything related to Middle Earth on screen. You can't just make 1 guy the god of a franchise this big and with so much potential, having him supervise and control most of it. No no and no. We need fresh blood (hopefully talented blood too, but we'll never know until we try) to take over, and fast.
You know i chuckle hard everytime i hear them say : “ Toriyama’s deeply involved”

Isn’t this the same tired buzzword that the dumb, old, out of touch execs at the helm of this franchise constantly use to make whatever they are trying to sell seem important or of good quality? When 9 times out of 10 its not.

Your right alas new blood is needed badly. Alas, the franchise is run like entirely like a gereontocracy. Toriyama & Co dont care about making things better because they are sitting in their new ivory tower supported off the back of Dokkans revenue( which is keeping this zombie franchise alive)so that shot in the arm will most likely never happen.

I will say the ones who had any part in suggesting 3D-CGI or approving this story needs to drop on their sword when the movie bombs. You cannot be telling me the fandom has to live with this constant mediocrity in our ranks.

Pkjoan

Post by Pkjoan » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:59 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:23 am
You know what's not cool? The creative bankruptcy that Dragon Ball is and has been suffering all these recent years. I mean, for Kami's sake, remove the franchise and everything to do with it from Toriyama's greasy hands, for once. The guy is a genius, but lightning only strikes once or whatever. It's like asking Peter Jackson to do everything related to Middle Earth on screen. You can't just make 1 guy the god of a franchise this big and with so much potential, having him supervise and control most of it. No no and no. We need fresh blood (hopefully talented blood too, but we'll never know until we try) to take over, and fast.
You know i chuckle hard everytime i hear them say : “ Toriyama’s deeply involved”

Isn’t this the same tired buzzword that the dumb, old, out of touch execs at the helm of this franchise constantly use to make whatever they are trying to sell seem important or of good quality? When 9 times out of 10 its not.

Your right alas new blood is needed badly. Alas, the franchise is run like entirely like a gereontocracy. Toriyama & Co dont care about making things better because they are sitting in their new ivory tower supported off the back of Dokkans revenue( which is keeping this zombie franchise alive)so that shot in the arm will most likely never happen.

I will say the ones who had any part in suggesting 3D-CGI or approving this story needs to drop on their sword when the movie bombs. You cannot be telling me the fandom has to live with this constant mediocrity in our ranks.
The worst thing of all is that this movie will flop and they will think it's for the wrong reason. They will probably say that Piccolo and Gohan aren't interesting as protagonists or that they shouldn't go into EoZ territory or that maybe they should stick to the Goku + Vegeta show. When the reality is that people are not that Interested because:

A) The CGI
B) Barely any marketing or additional information about this movie has been given.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:00 am

Skar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:11 pm

That's good they weren't delayed for too long. What's the difference between these two novels or do they just mean Japanese and English versions?
DBSChronicles says Light Novel and JUMP jbooks

https://twitter.com/DBSChronicles/statu ... 8479857664

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:56 am

That's... not really an answer, and it's confusing the two lines of books. Every time I see this specific Twitter person referenced, the follow-up is always "that's wrong" or "that's mistranslated".

The light novel version is the one under the jBOOKS line.

The other one is under Shueisha's Mirai Bunko line, which is a line geared toward even younger readers, with furigana accompanying all kanji.

The 2018 film likewise received separate light novel and Mirai Bunko versions:

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:20 pm

Pkjoan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:59 am

The worst thing of all is that this movie will flop and they will think it's for the wrong reason. They will probably say that Piccolo and Gohan aren't interesting as protagonists or that they shouldn't go into EoZ territory or that maybe they should stick to the Goku + Vegeta show. When the reality is that people are not that Interested because:

A) The CGI
B) Barely any marketing or additional information about this movie has been given.
It's a shame. Piccolo and Gohan could be interesting but a fight is only interesting when it's against interesting villains. These 2 guys they're fighting look like complete losers. I have no interested in seeing them in a fighting capacity. They could be great side-characters but I don't buy them as the main threat they're marketed as.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:55 pm

Pkjoan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:59 am

A) The CGI

i mean ffs they commissioned a parade float for the Macys day parade to promote Broly movie. i also remember seeing online ads on youtube for it to the point it got annoying. While Broly is a flawed movie with good and bad aspects, Superhero is just a bland uninteresting movie top to bottom . Lets be honest a lot of people go to DB movies to see who goku and vegeta are gonna fight and how do they overcome the villian. It speaks volumes that people are way more interested in seeing what Broly is doing on beerus planet than the rest of the movie and hes not even the main character this time.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:04 pm

1. Yeah I agree that the franchise either needs to be allowed to die with some dignity, or significantly change up the status quo.

2. The movie is not going to bomb. No matter how many people whine about it on forums--it's still Dragon Ball. It's too big to fail. And I guarantee that a large percentage of people who bitch and whine about the movie will still be their opening night. Hate watching is still watching.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:35 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:04 pm The movie is not going to bomb. No matter how many people whine about it on forums--it's still Dragon Ball. It's too big to fail. And I guarantee that a large percentage of people who bitch and whine about the movie will still be their opening night. Hate watching is still watching.
IDK about that bigger franchises than DB that are also considered "too big to fail" have released films that have bombed in recent times. The reality is with the negative reception to the mangas terrible writing decisions compounding ever since the TOP arc ended added with the fact this is another rehash. Not to mention other anime series have got the broader anime fandoms attention like Dragonball used to have. Its extremly difficult to belive this movie wont flop Everyone will find out exactly how much money a DB movie can make if only the hard-core fans each buy exactly one ticket and only one ticket.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:39 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:04 pm 2. The movie is not going to bomb. No matter how many people whine about it on forums--it's still Dragon Ball. It's too big to fail. And I guarantee that a large percentage of people who bitch and whine about the movie will still be their opening night. Hate watching is still watching.
I don't think DB is "too big to fail", I think another GT could damage it badly. Looking around this thread though, I see plenty of people that are genuinely excited for this movie, even despite the CG. I gotta say, I've been pleasantly surprised by what I've seen of it so far. A film that's not focused on power scaling and less concerned with epic, galactic threats? Count me the fuck in.

ALL THAT SAID...........

I personally am a "selfish fan" in that I want a movie that reflects my interests and one that I believe is faithful to the core aspects of the series. I see a lot of people in this thread concerned about how much money the film will make, or fretting about who will buy tickets and if it will "damage the brand" and so on. These are not my concerns. I'd rather have a couple movies that actually reflect what I believe DB is and should be, than a whole lot of movies that simply exist to make money by pandering to what Toei believes "fans want to see".
Last edited by capsulecorp on Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.