Was one of Toyotaro's moro arc vital points altered on the fly?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Was one of Toyotaro's moro arc vital points altered on the fly?

Post by Geraldo » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:57 am

In chapter 51, moro tells the convicts that "they'll need all resources of value once his plan is completed", however this was NEVER expalained. Allegedly, he was bribing them to work for him with a promise. Why do you think that happened?

KentMan
Banned

Re: Was one of Toyotaro's moro arc vital points altered on the fly?

Post by KentMan » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:26 am

Geraldo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:57 am In chapter 51, moro tells the convicts that "they'll need all resources of value once his plan is completed", however this was NEVER expalained. Allegedly, he was bribing them to work for him with a promise. Why do you think that happened?
Probably Moro would get rid of them except for 73

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:20 pm

Geraldo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:57 am In chapter 51, moro tells the convicts that "they'll need all resources of value once his plan is completed", however this was NEVER expalained. Allegedly, he was bribing them to work for him with a promise. Why do you think that happened?
I was re-reading the arc the other day, and yes, Moro talks about the importance of resources...

I can only think that he needs it so that his goons can have some sort of pay after finding new worlds for him? At the time, it seemed that there was more to it than just having his henchmen happy and not forced to work for him, but I guess not.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:58 pm

Moro also mentioned something about his "ideals being realised" while discussing their need for resources. We aren't made privy as to what his mind has actually conceived in terms of what he wants to achieve outside of gorging himself on planetary sources of life throughout the universe. Far as we're aware he's just another amoral gratificationist looking to butcher others for his own nourishment with little appreciation for even those who pledge loyalty to him.

I do wish we knew more of what Moro meant by "ideals" because it seems like a principally heavy comment to make for someone who's other portrayed as a glutton.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:47 pm

Surely there was a change on the fly, the entire arc seems fractured two parts, with ToriToyo getting their time after Namecc to decide how to continue and how the arc should feel like.
Probably a scheme of galactic conquest was the original plan, only to alter it the moment a good plot that style required way more pages to be told and too "mature" (fro the DBS standard) indepths.
And so, welcome in Moro the Lone Monster, power battles, kids happy about.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:20 am

I will just post a link to my moro arc rewrite: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47093 and declare that since the days it was happening in 2019, I had wanted that there'll be a subplot of him fooling the Galactic Prisoners to work for him believing they collect the stolen goods for themselves, only to be used and eaten by him as he was actually persuing to bribe the councilmen of the Demon Realm to be appointed king of the realm.

As Toyotaro said, "Dragon Ball Super is a [stupidly cheesy] cartoon whose target audience is kids". Don't expect it to get any better. There are so much other better works of fiction to enjoy (Batman or Shaman King, for starters).

I have decided to drop the ball on keeping tracks with the Dragon Ball franchise as a whole.
I had met during my time following it people of all sorts and varients, some were good and nice, the others weren't as much.
The last 21 years I had spent on this mediocre franchise are not going to be erased off my books, yet ever since Resurrection 'F' came out on April of 2015 I had been growing disappointed from the series but kept following.

Now I say loud and clear: "F it, Toriyama, all the time spent on your unstable work - with the last ~7 years monthly wait between manga chapters - ain't worth it! you're a mediocre gag writer - Roshi's sexual harrasments never got the best of me - and not such a bright artist when compared to others. This 'going blonde (and ever since 2013, also: red/blue/silver/purple) space apefolks' concept to sell toys, had ran its time out."

The guys in charge can't even structre a time frame, to at least tell us what year is it in their own fictional universe. I believe stupid stuff like DB getting so prioritizied over life itself is part of the reason Japanese folks are sadly getting extinct in numbers, and I hope Japanese folks are reading this.

Goodbye, Dragon World. I prefer to watch Shinzo or YuYu Hakusho (two spawnned copies) than this.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:51 pm

With respect to the initial topic question: No, I do not believe Moro's exchange with Shimorekka pointed in a hypothetical different direction for the arc.

In Chapter 50, Moro made clear that his "ideals" are "to create an ideal Galaxy where I am free to consume planets as I wish". Given that, his noting that his mooks will need objects of value when that day comes is just a sinister oblique threat, of the same type that he made to Cranberry when he said he'd "no longer require your services" (i.e., that he would off him) if he got his wishes.

He's telling Saganbo's crew that they will need to bargain for their lives once he gets what he wants, and when Shimorekka reassures Moro that they'll make sure to steal all the valuables they can, he's being as comically unaware of Moro's true meaning as Cranberry was. That's all that need be drawn from the exchange.

And also, as a postscript (and I do not say this lightly):
Geraldo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:20 amI believe stupid stuff like DB getting so prioritizied over life itself is part of the reason Japanese folks are sadly getting extinct in numbers, and I hope Japanese folks are reading this.
What the actual fuck even is this comment.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:42 pm

Geraldo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:20 amThe guys in charge can't even structre a time frame, to at least tell us what year is it in their own fictional universe.
As someone who cares about this and that gets a bit upset about the fact that they not only never straight up tell the actual year, they still manage to get the implications completely off repeatedly, this shouldn't be a reason to "abandon" the franchise (see you next month?) as far as I can tell. You did point out some good criticism (such as Muten Roshi's unacceptable behavior and the "stories" they have been told since Movie 15 being crap), but I don't think the lack of mention of the years (and their consistent mistakes regarding it) is something worthy of "leaving" the franchise.

if it is any consolation, XV2 straight up gave us a year for Universe 6 saga and Future Trunks saga (both AGE 779, by the way). And, like I said in another thread, by paying a little bit of attention, it's not like we really need a statement. For example, we know that the Super Dragon Balls can only be used once per year. If they were used in Universe 6 saga and later again in Universe Survival saga, it obviously means the latter takes place at least one year after the former. Bra being born is also an indicative of that and supports the idea of the year being AGE 780 (as it was one of her birth years as per the guidebooks).
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:31 am

Haven't been here for a long time... Yes, the Japanese people are shrinking demographically and most of it comes from living like menchilds. Sorry not sorry. The truth isn't always pleasant. Toys/merchandise, anime and manga were put over mating and having a normal livelihoods there.

My reasons for leaving this franchise are as follows:
1. Lack of investment and development of other NON-saiyan characters. If I was to write this story, I would keep the supporting cast relevant in terms of power, and not THAT far behind.
2. Cheesy humor that even my 8 years old self wouldn't enjoy.
3. Bad chapter pacing and titles (just saw there'll be another "Bardock vs. Gas" title... Sheesh..). The moro arc was the worst.
4. Timeline issues.