Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:37 am

The supplemental material is likely only maintaining a continuity with what the anime audience has seen, not necessarily expecting for them to have read the comic. I legitimately doubt that the comic's storylines are going to be outright ignore or treated as 'non-canon', they're just not necessary to mention right now.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:57 am

People can read the manga for free, at least the first 3 latest chapter. There is no excuse for the anime audience to not read the manga.
The Final episode date of DBS anime was on March 25, 2018, basically it has been 4 years since that last episode.

The interview or trailer states that Gohan last time he trained was for the ToP, which is a huge lie since Gohan trained in the Moro chapter. Chapter 56 and 58 are my evidence of Gohan training with Piccolo.

So yes they are outright ignoring Gohan training after the ToP and acting like he has been slacking since after the ToP.

It is too bad tv.com no longer exist. I used to use that website to see the episode list or when episodes are released.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:16 am

super michael wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:57 am People can read the manga for free, at least the first 3 latest chapter. There is no excuse for the anime audience to not read the manga.
The Final episode date of DBS anime was on March 25, 2018, basically it has been 4 years since that last episode.

The interview or trailer states that Gohan last time he trained was for the ToP, which is a huge lie since Gohan trained in the Moro chapter. Chapter 56 and 58 are my evidence of Gohan training with Piccolo.

So yes they are outright ignoring Gohan training after the ToP and acting like he has been slacking since after the ToP.

It is too bad tv.com no longer exist. I used to use that website to see the episode list or when episodes are released.
1. You cannot expect thousands of families to read the comic. The cartoon series and films are used to sell merchandise and act as the main commercial for the franchise. A comic published monthly in a magazine specifically for spin-offs and merchandise-driven franchises is not going to get the most readers, either.

3. People have lives.
She/Her

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:40 am

This is why they should have adapted the manga BEFORE skipping ahead... Imagine if instead of adapting the Android saga, TOEI was just like, "Okay, but if we make a movie set years in the future, and ignore the manga we haven't covered entirely?" That's stupid.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:50 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:40 am This is why they should have adapted the manga BEFORE skipping ahead... Imagine if instead of adapting the Android saga, TOEI was just like, "Okay, but if we make a movie set years in the future, and ignore the manga we haven't covered entirely?" That's stupid.
The situations are entirely different. The comic's storylines were specifically made to keep the comic running while the overall machine that is the franchise took a rest so that it wouldn't continue to trudge on in the middle of not having any fucking resources. Toei Animation is busy. Toyo-tarou and Toriyama's comic requires significantly less resources.

Super Hero is made specifically to offer something different and for a film format. Poorly structured and paced as they are, the Moro and Granola arcs are still written to be adapted into a serialized format. Super Hero is a single one-and-done story so that it could be released to continue to anime's presence in the mainstream without requiring the resources and timeslot on Fuji that a weekly cartoon series would.
She/Her

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:29 am

So Gohan stopped training after the ToP confirmed which makes Toyo's nonsense non canon to the movie.

:clap:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:32 am

ZombieVito wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:29 am So Gohan stopped training after the ToP confirmed which makes Toyo's nonsense non canon to the movie.

Or that's a logline based on the fact that the majority of the audience probably hasn't read the comic and they want to continue the audience's perception of the series for the sake of the movie.
She/Her

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:34 am

super michael wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:57 am People can read the manga for free, at least the first 3 latest chapter.
...Domestically?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:35 am

super michael wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:57 am People can read the manga for free, at least the first 3 latest chapter. There is no excuse for the anime audience to not read the manga.
There are people who choose to because they would like to go into the anime when it's coming back not knowing the story.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:39 am

Speak for yourself.

Some people simply don't like reading, have you ever thought of that? Others might simply not know it exists, the DBS manga isn't exactly the most hyped or mainstream manga. Indeed, I know many people irl who think the Storyline ended at Broly.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:40 am

Hi computer,

Are there some absolutely insane takes I can read about continuity based on the choices made for a stand-alone, mass-market film Toriyama started writing during the production of Broly?

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:46 am

Yuji wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:43 am
Tai Lung wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:05 am Well this should confirm the manga as a separate continuity :think:

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1515526660610699267
He wasn't exactly in-training when Moro showed up.

They're deliberately keeping things as vague as possible to adapt the manga arcs in the future if need be.
If I'm not mistaken... it is made clear that Gohan and Piccolo in addition to the earthlings prepared for the second arrival of moro... (the time they waited for goku and vegeta to finish training)

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:16 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:29 am So Gohan stopped training after the ToP confirmed which makes Toyo's nonsense non canon to the movie.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Gohan state in the anime that he would train so he can protect his family? Then in the anime I am sure that he said he would try and gain a Ultimate power that no one has ever seen.

The movie also ignores the anime.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_I'm ... AADJFl.jpg
Credit to Scotty. This is anime.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_I'm ... AADJFo.jpg
Credit to Scotty. This is manga.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:22 pm

Gohan getting his groove back was a plot done twice in the DBS anime, in fact (post-RoF and for the ToP).

Gohan just can't stop getting his groove back.

I think mostly it's just an amusing reflection of the disparate parts of Super at this point. Toriyama wasn't aware of what the TV writers were doing, they weren't aware of what each other were doing, Toriyama wasn't all that invested in what Gohan did in the ToP arc in either version, and he began writing the plot for this movie during production of Broly, intending for it to be something that appealed broadly to audiences coming off of the films.

The result is that Gohan gets his groove back a comical number of times across the various mediums for Super, and we kind of just have to shrug and roll with it. The kind of larger audiences a film like this is intended for have never been in the nitty gritty of either serialized version of Super and won't notice. Hope the film is fun!

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:49 pm

super michael wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:16 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Gohan state in the anime that he would train so he can protect his family? Then in the anime I am sure that he said he would try and gain a Ultimate power that no one has ever seen.

The movie also ignores the anime.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_I'm ... AADJFl.jpg
Credit to Scotty. This is anime.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_I'm ... AADJFo.jpg
Credit to Scotty. This is manga.
that is false ... because that was said before the TOP
and basically gohan gets stronger in the same tournament...

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:54 pm

Cipher wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:40 am Hi computer,

Are there some absolutely insane takes I can read about continuity based on the choices made for a stand-alone, mass-market film Toriyama started writing during the production of Broly?
There are simply people who are not interested in manga...

I know people who prefer to watch the transformers movies but they are not interested in the comics in the least

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:24 pm

I get not liking the manga but people are so antagonistic towards it and it's weird. It's so easy to ignore

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:31 pm

Regardless if the movie acknowledge or ignores the manga, I will still watch the movie and most likely enjoy it. The chances of me enjoying it is 99.99%. I highly doubt I will be disappointed.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:44 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:24 pm I get not liking the manga but people are so antagonistic towards it and it's weird. It's so easy to ignore
Yeah this weirds me out, too. But, when I think about it, I sometimes have similarly hostile feelings toward the anime... but then, when I think about it more, I remember that's because of the anime's extraordinarily poor quality most of the time! The manga may not be perfect, but it's a lot less frustrating and heartbreaking, at least to me.

Also, I realize there are people in this world who cannot or do not like to read. I pity them and hope that, if it's within their means, they learn to appreciate one of the oldest and perhaps most powerful art forms known to humankind.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:41 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:44 pm
OLKv3 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:24 pm I get not liking the manga but people are so antagonistic towards it and it's weird. It's so easy to ignore
Yeah this weirds me out, too. But, when I think about it, I sometimes have similarly hostile feelings toward the anime... but then, when I think about it more, I remember that's because of the anime's extraordinarily poor quality most of the time! The manga may not be perfect, but it's a lot less frustrating and heartbreaking, at least to me.
at least I prefer the top anime fights to the scam we had in the manga tournament ... where 80 fighters hardly even fought ....

Many came topic anime just to criticize the anime when it was broadcast just to say that the manga was better it is not surprising that the matter has been reversed