Anyone on the hunt for a Madman 'Saga of Goku' set?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Anyone on the hunt for a Madman 'Saga of Goku' set?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 28, 2014 7:23 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Do they ship to the U.S?
Amazon does, I think Play.com but not too sure about Base.
Yeah Base offer international shipping too.
http://www.base.com/help-and-advice/pg3 ... policy.htm

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:46 pm

I finally got it! Been checking eBay periodically for years and last Saturday I finally found the set used on eBay in great condition for the low price of $27. Of course triple that to ship it from Australia to Texas, but I'm very excited. Been wanting to complete my shelf with this for years. I know this is probably still a holy grail for a couple of you, so keep the hope alive! :wink:
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:53 pm

Totally unrelated to anything, but that was the set that made me spend $200 for all of Dragon Ball back in 2008 or whenever it was I got it (most were Madman DVDs, some were the US) ones.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:00 pm

Probably worth it! If it makes you feel any better I think I spent like $70 for "King Piccolo Saga Part 1" new and sealed by itself a few years ago. I think these sets not only look great on the shelf but they've got that specificity of being the exact versions of the episodes I watched on Cartoon Network late at night. None of the grain removed or that slight zoom-in for the "remaster" on the blue season sets that were released later. We want what we want right?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:58 pm

Hero 004 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:00 pm Probably worth it! If it makes you feel any better I think I spent like $70 for "King Piccolo Saga Part 1" new and sealed by itself a few years ago. I think these sets not only look great on the shelf but they've got that specificity of being the exact versions of the episodes I watched on Cartoon Network late at night. None of the grain removed or that slight zoom-in for the "remaster" on the blue season sets that were released later. We want what we want right?
True, it's just unfortunate that the Saga sets didn't have the NEP's, OP 2 or ED 1, 3, 4. Of course that has to do with the film materials/masters FUNi recieved which didn't have those elements.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:29 am

I have that set. What is so special about it? Just The Japanese title cards?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:06 am

Jord wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:29 am I have that set. What is so special about it? Just The Japanese title cards?
The encoding is better than Funimation's DVDs, it's not a dealbreaker for everyone but for the more videophile fans it is.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:27 am

Jord wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:29 am I have that set. What is so special about it? Just The Japanese title cards?
Funimation did not have the right to distribute those episodes in the US until they released the blue bricks. At that time, the only way to have the "complete" series was to buy the edited Ocean-dubbed version of the first 13 episodes. However, the exact same singles were put out by Madman including that first "Goku Saga" (or whatever it's called).

So on one hand, you have the fact that the collection was incomplete without the Madman release, and also, the video footage looks different (arguably better) than the blue bricks'.

I bought this way before the blue bricks when I didn't even foresee Funimation ever re-releasing Dragon Ball, so at the time it felt like the only way to complete my Dragon Ball collection. The Dragon Box seemed way out of reach (until I found it way overpriced on eBay and just bit the bullet).

I would also argue that the Madman release was superior to Funimation's. Funimation's was a black case with a list of episodes on a pamphlet folded inside. Meanwhile, the Madman set was in a clear case with the episodes listed on the inside cover, so it just has a much better presentation. Also, the menus were more fun (not just static pictures with a list of functions). I was really blown away seeing the two side-by-side.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:04 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:27 am
Funimation did not have the right to distribute those episodes in the US until they released the blue bricks. At that time, the only way to have the "complete" series was to buy the edited Ocean-dubbed version of the first 13 episodes. However, the exact same singles were put out by Madman including that first "Goku Saga" (or whatever it's called).

Reminder that Ocean didn't dub those episodes. It was done by BLT, an entirely separate company just based out in Vancouver as well.

Ocean's dub of Dragon Ball was done by their Blue Water studio in Calgary circa 2004

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:04 am

Reminder that Ocean didn't dub those episodes. It was done by BLT, an entirely separate company just based out in Vancouver as well.

Ocean's dub of Dragon Ball was done by their Blue Water studio in Calgary circa 2004

No I think you mean the Pioneer voice cast.

(Just kidding; throw it back to an old pet peeve of everyone here in 2008 :wink:)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:11 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:04 am

I only say "Ocean dub" because all of the voice actors carried on into the Ocean dub of Z lol But yeah--the bacon, lettuce, tomato dub.

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:13 pm

So on one hand, you have the fact that the collection was incomplete without the Madman release, and also, the video footage looks different (arguably better) than the blue bricks'.

I bought this way before the blue bricks when I didn't even foresee Funimation ever re-releasing Dragon Ball, so at the time it felt like the only way to complete my Dragon Ball collection. The Dragon Box seemed way out of reach (until I found it way overpriced on eBay and just bit the bullet).

I would also argue that the Madman release was superior to Funimation's. Funimation's was a black case with a list of episodes on a pamphlet folded inside. Meanwhile, the Madman set was in a clear case with the episodes listed on the inside cover, so it just has a much better presentation. Also, the menus were more fun (not just static pictures with a list of functions). I was really blown away seeing the two side-by-side.
Thanks for the explanation. Weird how they didn't have the complete rights but rights can be wacky sometimes. So Funi did release the other Dragon Ball episodes that come after the Saga of Goky?

I bought this DVD also before I bought the Blue Bricks. Back in the good old days when I had to pay about $20 for 3-4 DBZ eps on a DVD, haha. I do agree that the box art of the Saga of Goku set looks pretty good but I don't mind the Blue Bricks that much.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:10 pm

Jord wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:13 pm . So Funi did release the other Dragon Ball episodes that come after the Saga of Goky?
Yes

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/home-video/na/db-tv/

It was just the first 13 episodes (and first movie)that Funimation gave home video distribution rights to Trimark and only in the US and Canada

Eta: I'm glad for Dragon Ball and GT Funimation learned how to make cover art for their dvds. Those screen grabs for dvd covers for Z were so lame.