"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Wrigglything » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:04 am

You know, after all this talk about world destroying affairs and universally powerful figures rivaling that of literal gods, maybe something a little more lighthearted would be a nice change of pace. Now that i got to take a second, all that Super has been were a bunch of godlike beings ducking it out, where the punishment for failure is potential destruction of all that they know and love. The least tense arcs are the Universe 6 Tournament and maybe the Granolah arc due to its mostly personal setting and circumstances (well, initially).

Perhaps not to a Black Star DB level, though, maybe more a Red Ribbon where the main villain has a silly motive or goal but commands a powerful force of equally goofy and serious kinds. The villain being both legitimately powerful but also insanely funny, it'd probably fit Dragon Ball if it were written right. Perhaps having the side characters like Tenshinhan and Yamcha fight the serious ones too and Goku and Vegeta the sillier ones, maybe, the possibilities are endless. We got to have a little of that in the Moro arc, though something more substantial would be cool. And maybe even add in some character development for some legacy characters like the aforementioned former characters to make this a complete arc.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:24 am

The goofy villain will have to wait because the cliffhanger was Freeza shifting the balance of the universe, perhaps surpassing Beerus, and his entrance was stepping on a skull. Things shouldn't get too silly, although Toriyama could throw in some gags but overall it should be a pretty serious arc, Freeza's demise I hope.

With EoZ so close, one would expect more lighthearted stories, but Moro, Granola, and Freeza being the top dog kinda go against that. This midquel ending up having bigger stakes than the original story, lol. Freeza showed up three times, haven't seen yet his fourth coming, in Z he only appeared twice, it should've been DB Freeza, not DB Super.

Maybe Freeza could be addressed after EoZ, and after SH have some silly little arc, but EoZ is supposed to be a peaceful time, with no worries, no big bad lurking around, no unspoken threat, no nothing, just like being on vacations... the thought of Black Freeza possibly showing up and wiping everybody out kinda shits all over the end.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:02 pm

nato25 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:07 am Anyone else embarrassed they didn't know the manga was on break. Seemed like at the time the story going around was just no chapter for a month then it was returning.
A lot of people thought that. Seems like in this month V-Jump issue there's also no confirmation that will return next month, so December return at the earliest. Would like know what's happening behind the scenes.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:16 am

I don't think a follow-up to Black Freeza is guaranteed, at least not as a central premise of the next arc.

Personally, I'm hoping that the next arc will rely heavily on comedy.

In the meantime, this hiatus is essentially producing material that could be used for a future DBS guidebook. Aside from planning the new arc, Toyotaro has drawn one new Goku image for each chapter since the break, so that's something.

The Bastard.
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Bastard. » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:38 am

If we get a new Freeza villain arc it needs to be very different.

Freeza is a different character from his Z days, he's much smarter now, he knows he simply isn't the strongest just because he was born that way, he's also much more pragmatic and, and while he's still cruel and sadistic, he knows there are other easier paths to get what he wants.

His core character, a proud, evil, cruel person with authoritarian and power hungry tendencies is the same, but that's not all what he is anymore and this needs to be properly explored and told.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:18 pm

Just noticed this: before Vegeta transforms into Wagamama no Gokui, he is stabbed in the stomach by Granolah's pressure point. The stomach chakra, according to a quick Google search, is a fire chakra (like his aura) associated with self-esteem (ego-like?). So there may be something there...

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:19 pm

Since the manga is on hiatus wouldn't that mean volume 20 is delayed as well since it'd be short one chapter if it came out in December? :eh:
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:49 pm

CashmanX wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:19 pm Since the manga is on hiatus wouldn't that mean volume 20 is delayed as well since it'd be short one chapter if it came out in December? :eh:
I suppose it's possible that they could release it with only three chapters. The Yamcha Reincarnation comic was printed with a very small number of pages, after all. That or include a ton of bonus material.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:23 am

Saw that Toyotaro tweeted some 4 hours ago, who's "Ginpato"? Google Translate suggests that he mentions that name in an interview that will be published in the upcoming V Jump issue.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:23 am

Geraldo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:23 am Saw that Toyotaro tweeted some 4 hours ago, who's "Ginpato"? Google Translate suggests that he mentions that name in an interview that will be published in the upcoming V Jump issue.
Ginga Patrol? the Galactic Patrol Merus and Jaco work for.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:02 am

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:23 am
Geraldo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:23 am Saw that Toyotaro tweeted some 4 hours ago, who's "Ginpato"? Google Translate suggests that he mentions that name in an interview that will be published in the upcoming V Jump issue.
No, no. I'm well aware of the Galactic Patrol and it's Japanese name. It must be something else, perhaps it is the name of a new character. Here is a link to the said tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/TOYOTARO_Vju ... 7825845248

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:50 am

Geraldo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:02 am
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:23 am
No, no. I'm well aware of the Galactic Patrol and it's Japanese name. It must be something else, perhaps it is the name of a new character. Here is a link to the said tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/TOYOTARO_Vju ... 7825845248
What's being explained is that 銀パト (Ginapato) is a shortened name for 銀河パトロール (Ginga Patorōru), "Galactic Patrol".

This kind of name shortening is extremely common in Japanese fandom; a popular (and tangentially related one) is ドラクエ (dorakue) for ドラゴンクエスト (Doragon Kueusuto).

There is no actual character named "Ginpato".

I have yet to acquire the actual issue itself (it's only just going on sale today in Japan), but there is a column that includes some of the (previously-revealed, I believe?) names for Galactic Patrol characters that aren't named within the actual manga chapters themselves. These names (if they are what I presume them to be) came from a previous video interview on the official site.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:04 am

I don't know what they might be cooking. Moro was pretty much a rethread with some fun "sequel" lore add ons, like the Buu getting more lore and character development with grand Kaioshin, Vegeta had nice moments going to train in unique way and some more lore on angels through Merus... everything else was a rethread of sorts, with Moro being kind of Cell but magic and having his minions from prison similar to Freeza having the so called Freeza Force.

Granola had promising beginning with unique character and mysterious background, which went to hell at a moment he was manipulated into a revenge quest against against Goku and Vegeta and then it was just boring chapters of fighting against each other, until they wasted their energy and Gas stepped in... We got nothing new and cool from Bardock, just one wish that polarizes fans and everyone has their theories on how it works, if it works (I believe it was just what it was without greater consequence, but to show off Bardock as a caring parent, setting him further apart from his side-story Z self) and Saiyan pride with different flavour.
And that ended with Freeza being utterly cool, wrecking everyone and being black because he can. Which was perfectly in line with recent "Yes we can" forms Orange, Beast, Ego, Instinct (which I consider to be the most legit form of these, including Blue SSJs).

So, what are we getting now? I wouldn't be surprised at all, if we just get some new character designs and names for new opponents, that acually make the characters more mysterious than their backstories itself and everyone will clash agains each other in a detailed storyboards coming out each month. No hopes or expectations on my side.
Moro arc could've been better, but didn't really surprised much and was far from a failure in my opinion as with Granola, what was supposed to be something unique and step up after Moro, proved to be the complete opposite.
Also, if movies go a completely different route and chances for TV are slim, you can do pretty much anything except for killing main cast instead of just giving them random power-ups and piling them up against an animated sequel movies and potential series, that ignores the manga altogether and we can just pray, that it doesn't stray too much away from the source material, limiting it by the epilogue at the end of the original manga, to shoot off to be a crazy spin-off that is not a sequel anymore, because it doesn't add up.
And it already quite doesn't if we want to go hard with it. Unless Whis comes down with his scepter and does some time-rewinding or reality reset and strip everyone down to the end of Buu arc levels, just because.

Maybe, let's go beyond end of Z. There is only so much action and non-consequential peril that the 10 year gap can take.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:23 am

We should all start a campaign #ReleaseTheToyotaroCut

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:32 am

What on Dende's green Earth are we looking at there. Holy bejeezus.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:28 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:23 am We should all start a campaign #ReleaseTheToyotaroCut

DBE has put together a really funny fanfic

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:34 pm

Bruh I've never seen such rubbish :lol:

Janemba's name popped up a handful of times way back when people were speculating about Moro's plans but I thought fans had long since given up on that, lol. This is why I can never ever take Dragon Ball content creators seriously when it comes to leaks, rumours, etc, some of them just put out absolute shite and claim it as fact.

AFAIK, Toriyama played no role in designing Janemba, but if he couldn't remember Broly, there's no way in hell (haha) he's remembering Janemba, let alone strongly enough to object to his inclusion in the story. :lol:

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:03 pm

This is absolute bs, how could they censor Toyotaro's creative vision like this? There were so many hints about Janemba throughout the arc, too.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:12 pm

I don't know what is bs anymore, lol, I've been seeing this whole story go around the db forums for a while now. It all started when some dude who claimed to be the editor of shueisha said that Toyotaro had a completely different script for the Moro arc. If I remember correctly, he mentioned a few things, such as:
-Moro being a more grounded villain, he also possessed a book similar to the Necronomicon that allowed him to possess powerful demonic souls that pushed him to a level of God of Destruction.
-Vegeta's spirit fission was always the plan, but he was supposed to kill Moro right away, if I remember correctly.
-Moro was sent to Hell, where he was betrayed and devoured by the demons,
-Janemba was reborn from Moro (an entirely new being).
-Toriyama scrapped this because he wanted a connection to the Granolah Arc, and that the story was at the level of Goku Black Arc, it felt repetitive.

Although while it sounds amusing, I think someone was just trying to defend Toyotaro's writing, lmao. Moro was a cool villain to me until the last two chapters, where he was just stupid and acted like an idiot compared to his first appearance.
But I'm a Janemba fan too, and still want to see this character, but I don't want him to be attached to anyone, I want him to be a villain of his own.

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:30 am

Oh my god this just sent me back to early 2010s Facebook and the crap that spawned from there.

Like we all agree this is a troll post, right? Being honest, I don't see many people make posts like that today. Or maybe I just haven't been in social media besides YouTube lately.