Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods - Ten Years.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods - Ten Years.

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:19 am

My experience with this and modern Dragon Ball in general is weird since while I was around for the buzz when Battle of Gods came out, I didn't actually get around to watching it or anything modern Dragon Ball until literally last year; bingeing that, Resurrection F, the entirety of the Super TV series, and the two Super films over the span of about 4-5 months.

I went from being annoyed at the idea of more Dragon Ball (because I figured it would just be more of the same and way too long to be worth investing in) to warming up to it after being exposed to the new stuff through the video games, with the pre-release buzz surrounding Super Hero intriguing me enough to finally dive into the whole thing. Now I'm at the point where I'm not opposed to there being more Dragon Ball like I was before, though Battle of Gods and Super Hero are the only works that I feel were good and original enough to stand alongside the original series and justify making more Dragon Ball, with everything in between varying from "bad" (Resurrection F, both versions) to "ok" (The Future arc, Broly) to "better than I expected" (The Tournament of Power).

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:28 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:40 amIt is just as bad. The difference is that those characters are (probably) supposed to remain frozen in time. Them aging up is not part of the franchise, so that's why we (well, most of us. I personally do get distracted from a series that don't age their characters) can ignore this part. We don't go and watch Pokémon to see Ash growing up, we see him to capture Pokémon and win events. But as far as I can tell you, it's just as bad.
I agree with your post but I think the difference is that DBS still has time passing and just slower than DBZ. In a series where the characters never age, they usually don't have babies being born or aging at all. We still get a general idea that time is moving forward in DBS and that we're getting closer to the end of that ten year period like Pan and Bra being born or an older Uub knowing he was born shortly after the Buu saga.

The timeline for DBS was "predetermined" if that's the right word since we knew from the beginning that it was going to stay within this ten year period. I'm not sure if they could've done much to change that other than different designs for Goten and Trunks between Buu saga and EoZ. I think they used the excuse for Goku and that they had a growth spurt in their late teens. It doesn't really explain why Trunks looked younger than Future Trunks at the same age though.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:32 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:28 pm I'm not sure if they could've done much to change that other than different designs for Goten and Trunks between Buu saga and EoZ.
Aged up designs for Goten, Trunks, and Marron (seriously everyone forgets about Marron) not have Bulma celebrate her 38th birthday, not have Mai state she's about to turn 40. Etc

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:03 pm

When was it that Trunks and Goten started being late for their expected growth?

I keep forgetting what's the time gap between Buu arc and BoG, but even if it's 4 years, an 11-12 year old BoG Trunks could still be within his appropiate size, even though they could very well have been designed older than in Z. Seeing Goku was 15 and still looked like a baby, Goten gets more breaks than Trunks.
RoF is some time after BoG, months I think, basically the same as BoG... so their new designs were due for when? the ToP? Broly? Moro?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:11 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:32 pmAged up designs for Goten, Trunks, and Marron (seriously everyone forgets about Marron) not have Bulma celebrate her 38th birthday, not have Mai state she's about to turn 40. Etc
I mentioned Goten and Trunks but the others might be due to Toriyama forgetting and no one else involved wanting to correct him or also forgetting. It's like he intentionally made Bulma younger than she was in the Buu saga while pointing out that BoG takes place a few years after that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:33 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:03 pm When was it that Trunks and Goten started being late for their expected growth?

I keep forgetting what's the time gap between Buu arc and BoG, but even if it's 4 years, an 11-12 year old BoG Trunks could still be within his appropiate size, even though they could very well have been designed older than in Z. Seeing Goku was 15 and still looked like a baby, Goten gets more breaks than Trunks.
RoF is some time after BoG, months I think, basically the same as BoG... so their new designs were due for when? the ToP? Broly? Moro?
Its not just their size though. They are for all intents and purposes still 7 and 8 despite the 4-5 year passage of time.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:40 pm

Battle of Gods is the only Dragon Ball film I double dipped my bluray purchases on. Hong Kong Blu-ray came out months before the Funimation release. I wouldn't have double dipped if it weren't for the fact they included the extended cut.
The world is your's.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:15 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:33 pmIts not just their size though. They are for all intents and purposes still 7 and 8 despite the 4-5 year passage of time.
It would be their size since though they had a growth spurt in the 2-3 years between Broly and Super Hero. I don't think Toriyama would've said they're still 7 and 8 in Broly. He might admit to laziness of not bothering to come up with a different design and waiting until the story was close enough to EoZ. It would've been funny though if they didn't look older in Super Hero while Pan was now 3 years old :P

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:08 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:14 am
Dr. Casey wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:33 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:26 pm The 10th anniversary is on March 30th. To me, 2013 is still very fresh in the movie seeing that I was in my early 2000s at the time.
Sorry, I laughed at this. :lol: I know you meant early 20s.
Yeah, I didn't realize it after I wrote it. It sucks that you can't re-edit your post after you post it.
It's even funnier to me because your avatar reminds me of Fury from Darksiders and that statement would be very on-brand for her.

March 30th is just after my birthday and say what you will about modern DB, (I've said plenty), I feel good about the last ten years of the franchise and I'm going to celebrate it. I have really good memories so I'm happy DB came back even though the storytelling is still hit-or-miss sometimes.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie
Location: hehe dromaeosaurids,, (icon drawn by @/FeralWolf1234)

Post by DiloVortexx » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:58 pm

damn, its really been 10 years already? holy shit i feel old...

still one of my favourite dragon ball movies that introduced two of my favourite newer characters in the franchise that give me endless joy! plus the fact its still just a damn good movie.. sure now that I'm older there are.. problems i have with some aspects of the film (i.e. the pilaf gang stuff espec. with trunks and mai h) but ignoring those, it still holds up damn well and i love to rewatch it from time to time!!

beerus and whis my beloved..
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

goten and trunks are gay and trans ♥

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:41 pm

DiloVortexx wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:58 pm sure now that I'm older there are.. problems i have with some aspects of the film (i.e. the pilaf gang stuff espec. with trunks and mai h)
Trunks and Mai getting ship-teased was my only major issue with the film, and it's unfortunate that Super doubled down on it.

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie
Location: hehe dromaeosaurids,, (icon drawn by @/FeralWolf1234)

Post by DiloVortexx » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:05 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:41 pm
DiloVortexx wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:58 pm sure now that I'm older there are.. problems i have with some aspects of the film (i.e. the pilaf gang stuff espec. with trunks and mai h)
Trunks and Mai getting ship-teased was my only major issue with the film, and it's unfortunate that Super doubled down on it.
GOD SAME.. like ????? trunks is 12 years old in bog who in the fuck at toei approved this 😭

other than that i fucking love the movie so much.. but i really cant lie when i say that entire subplot and the fact they made that canon made me super uncomfortable ;w;
so yeah anyways *pretends that the trumai ship does not exist*
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

goten and trunks are gay and trans ♥

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:08 pm

Happy 10 years to BoG! Makes me feel super old lol.

While I'm still conflicted as I was 10 years ago and didn't really like many things the movie introduced, I grew to get used to and like Beerus and Whis for what they are. I also enjoyed the hell out of Broly and Super Hero even tho they are both flawed flims. Without BoG and Super we wouldn't have gotten them.

Dragonball doesn't hit the same heights for me as it used to but I'm glad it does for others and to atleast have new DB content from games, manga and films all the way in 2022. I would have never thought back in the 90s/2000 I would be able to get new DB content since by the time we got it in Canada it was already a finished series in Japan.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:50 pm

I don't have the time to read the OP in tis entirety right now, but here in my country, BoG was released in October, so it's still kinda a long way from turning 10 years. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:17 am

I was 21-22 when BOG came out. I don't have much nostalgia for it because I was already an adult at the time. I feel like the older you get, the less nostalgic things depending how old you were when it came out.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:47 am

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:19 amI went from being annoyed at the idea of more Dragon Ball (because I figured it would just be more of the same and way too long to be worth investing in) to warming up to it after being exposed to the new stuff through the video games,
It did turn out to be more of the same, unfortunately. I think the biggest appeal to me about setting all of the events in the ten-year timeskip is the opportunity to see the characters transitioning from Majin Buu saga to their end-of-the-series selves (which mainly revolves around their design, since we can't say much about their personalities). And while Goku and Vegeta did get new clothes at some point, it was quickly abandoned in favor of old clothing. And it seems we are still nowhere near to see Goku with blue gi and Vegeta starting to wear Earthling clothes. Everybody else retains pretty much everything about their Majin Buu saga selves.

And then there are the sagas, which are basically just tournaments and formulaic stories we've seen time and time again from decades ago. But it's cool to see that games somehow made you warming up to it. I can't say they did the same to me, but I can say they managed to improve upon the original versions.
Skar wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:28 pmThe timeline for DBS was "predetermined" if that's the right word since we knew from the beginning that it was going to stay within this ten year period.
I didn't. Sure, there was that Toriyama's statement about instead of going forward, he would rewind back a little bit, but that was in 2008. I was hoping he had forgotten about that, but unfortunately, he didn't. I was hoping for just two or three sagas set in the ten-year timeskip and then we'd proceed to move forward. Guess I set myself for disappointment, but I really didn't know beforehand we'd be stuck in that time period for this long.
Skar wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:28 pmI'm not sure if they could've done much to change that other than different designs for Goten and Trunks between Buu saga and EoZ.
They could age everybody up. Yamcha and Kuririn are not young individuals. The latter is forty-six years old by the time Dragon Ball Super Super Hero happens, and we will see two years after that that he'll be looking a bit older, so I think by this time, some change could have been made to him. We should have already a confirmation or anything of sorts if Tenshinhan is an Earthling or not, so that we could have an idea if he's supposed to age like a normal Earthling or not. There's Yajirobe and Chi-Chi's father too, just seeing these characters older would help giving you the feeling that time is truly passing.
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:03 pmWhen was it that Trunks and Goten started being late for their expected growth?
In AGE 780. Considering all the sagas of this year take place toward the end of it, it was already late as soon as Universe Survival saga began.
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:03 pmI keep forgetting what's the time gap between Buu arc and BoG, but even if it's 4 years, an 11-12 year old BoG Trunks could still be within his appropiate size, even though they could very well have been designed older than in Z.
Yes. To me, Trunks should have appeared older since Universe 6 saga or Future Trunks saga, seeing as these two are the last ones to occur in AGE 779.
Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:03 pmSeeing Goku was 15 and still looked like a baby, Goten gets more breaks than Trunks.
Yeah, but the second they age Goten just because Trunks was aged, then, in-universe speaking, it means Goten also didn't inherit that Saiyan's trait. Which would then also mean he was already late for his expected growth, together with Trunks, since Universe Survival saga. It's a terrible loophole they created.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:22 am

I saw BoG in a movie theater with a bunch of DBZ fans and it ranks high as one of my favorite movie going experiences. They were into the film the whole time they laughed, gasped when Beerus smacked Bulma and then cheered when Vegeta got pissed, and chanted Kamehameha along with Goku during the credits. The most interesting reaction was when Vegeta is trying desperately to not let anyone annoy Beerus. The second Bulma started walking towards him, the audience all said "Ohhhhhhhh" like "oh shit". It was so much fun.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:26 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:47 amI didn't. Sure, there was that Toriyama's statement about instead of going forward, he would rewind back a little bit, but that was in 2008. I was hoping he had forgotten about that, but unfortunately, he didn't. I was hoping for just two or three sagas set in the ten-year timeskip and then we'd proceed to move forward. Guess I set myself for disappointment, but I really didn't know beforehand we'd be stuck in that time period for this long.
To be honest I don't remember what he said in 2008. He explained why he chose this time period for BoG and that reasoning seemed to apply to everything that came after. Around 2016 he referred to EoZ as the epilogue which also implied he didn't intend to go past it. Based on those, I always assumed the revival was going to end before EoZ and that was it. He could always change his mind but he hasn't in ten years and we won't know until the story reaches EoZ.
They could age everybody up. Yamcha and Kuririn are not young individuals. The latter is forty-six years old by the time Dragon Ball Super Super Hero happens, and we will see two years after that that he'll be looking a bit older, so I think by this time, some change could have been made to him. We should have already a confirmation or anything of sorts if Tenshinhan is an Earthling or not, so that we could have an idea if he's supposed to age like a normal Earthling or not. There's Yajirobe and Chi-Chi's father too, just seeing these characters older would help giving you the feeling that time is truly passing.
Yeah this was odd since we see them appearing older in EoZ. I guess characters like Krillin and Bulma will rapidly age in the year or so left. Krillin is shaving his head in DBS so maybe it'll be revealed to be gray next time he grows it out.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:10 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:59 pm
WHO'S OLD? YOU ARE!
:lol:

Holy father of Dende... After the Tarble OVA and the Bardock OVA, we are "finally" (!?) here! How can it be? I remember vividly when I went to check this movie in theaters, and now you're telling me it has been ten years already!? Did I oversleep at some point?

Oh boy, we sure have come a long, long way since then. A lot happened, mostly stuff we couldn't even have imagined back then. I mean, the return of a series was probably what everyone wished for after the release of this movie, and while we would have to wait two more years for that, we still couldn't have anticipated anything, let alone the way it did. This is all for better or worse, of course, as there were ups and downs along the way. But at the end of the day, what truly matters for all of us is the amount of new content we got (and for the powers that be, their income!).

So, the movie that started everything is turning ten years this year. The very first one to introduce us to the world of recolors, but also the one to introduce (on-screen) a new god and his assistant, both eventually becoming pretty much a mainstay throughout the following years. It's a very nice "slice of life" movie (even though we kinda already had one a few years earlier, but since that OVA still hasn't been released worldwide, I guess it doesn't count), but still managed to be very important for all its content and lore it brought to the table. The Super Saiyan God transformation, God of Destruction Beerus and the angel Whis all left their own impressions, but more importantly, it is the movie that added the goddamn awesome Multiverse concept! Sure, we would later find out that Dragon Ball would handle it quite differently from the way the West handles it, but at that time, it was a huge deal that made even me participate in theories discussions, and I'm not one to keep theorizing about anything.

Anyway, I don't know if knowing that this movie is a decade old is a cause for celebration or a cause for sadness in realizing we're all getting old really fast. But at any rate, share your experience with the movie and what you remember from 2013 with us!

Happy anniversary, Movie 14! :D

(The specific anniversary date is March 30th, but there's no reason to wait for that. In these occasions, I believe the entire year can be for celebration. Hence why I'm creating this thread now, as I've done for the other two).
Damn its been almost 10 years since this movie came out :shock: :shock:

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:26 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:22 am I saw BoG in a movie theater with a bunch of DBZ fans and it ranks high as one of my favorite movie going experiences. They were into the film the whole time they laughed, gasped when Beerus smacked Bulma and then cheered when Vegeta got pissed, and chanted Kamehameha along with Goku during the credits. The most interesting reaction was when Vegeta is trying desperately to not let anyone annoy Beerus. The second Bulma started walking towards him, the audience all said "Ohhhhhhhh" like "oh shit". It was so much fun.
Watching these movies in a theatre like experience is like no other, my viewing was similar to how you describe yours. Watching BOG, RoF, Broly and Super hero in a theatre with an audience's hype is infectious. I liked both BoG and Rof when I first saw them, Its not until I saw the films again alone on a small screen was when I started to pick them apart and see they are not very good. (for me)
I had a similar experience with Broly but the first half of Broly is still pretty great for me while the second half gets bloated with bad pacing. Super hero I'm considering just leaving it as a theatre experience because I enjoyed it a lot with the viewing I had.

Funny story I saw Fusion Reborn's American debut in a theatre at a convention and at this time the DBZ hype was dying with many people poking fun at it or laughing at the silly DBZ clichés. However when Goku and Vegeta fused into Gogeta, every one cheered so long through out the fusion we couldn't even hear anything though out the whole scene lol. It's a moment I'll never forget.