Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Almighty Majin » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:03 pm

picc wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:45 pm Lets say fusion is still allowed and the supreme kai has potara on hand. And with U3 posing the biggest threat its possible U7 targets them before they're able to utilize Aniraza.
Thing is, they are not aware that Aniraza is a trump card that U3 has. Either way, it does not matter since I don't think Vegetto is beating Maji Kayo. That guy was strong enough to give Dyspo a hard time and even needed Jiren to come in to ring him out, plus he would be incredibly troublesome with his liquid metal body.

U3 aside, Obuni from U10 still required ToP Ultimate Gohan so even Obuni could probably beat Vegetto, at least in the anime version.

GreatSaiyaman123 also mentioned U9 which I forgot to mention. The Trio de Danger were all in the SSJ2-3 level range and working together, they were so troublesome that they required Blue Goku and Vegeta to ring them out. So if those 3 work together they could likely come out matching if not being able to beat Vegetto as well.

U2's Pretty Black Hole attack is another problem that required SSJB to power through so that's another huge problem if that comes up.

I forgot to mention something important about U4, but considering Damon was able to ring out Piccolo before he could react and even managed to catch Android 17 off-guard and nearly ring him out (on top of being fast enough to dodge Quitela's stomps after he lost), he could also pose a major problem.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:34 pm

Miracles wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:53 pmThe anime writers did not ignore it when they themselves have Beerus lying about using 100% of his power. They just did not give a percentage that was used. Therefore it does not contradict the near 70% line in the movie. In RoF Beerus was said to be in an attempt to master Ultra Instinct, did Toriyama factor that into the near 70% line? Obviously not hence why Whis goes on to say in RoF that it may be possible for two blues to compete, not beat but compete against Beerus. This can be applied with Goku stacking KK on Blue because Beerus is simply an unknown in power. It all fits.
In your opinion, why were these two statements removed for DBS? Beerus training to obtain UI was left in from RoF so that happened in the movie continuity and DBS. You're using a statement that was kept in the story to support two that seem intentionally left out. Beerus still hasn't mastered it by the ToP and still stronger than UI Goku in the manga without it. If that was meant to explain it and that was Beerus was training offscreen since BoG then why not leave those other statements?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:53 am

Skar wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:34 pm
Miracles wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:53 pmThe anime writers did not ignore it when they themselves have Beerus lying about using 100% of his power. They just did not give a percentage that was used. Therefore it does not contradict the near 70% line in the movie. In RoF Beerus was said to be in an attempt to master Ultra Instinct, did Toriyama factor that into the near 70% line? Obviously not hence why Whis goes on to say in RoF that it may be possible for two blues to compete, not beat but compete against Beerus. This can be applied with Goku stacking KK on Blue because Beerus is simply an unknown in power. It all fits.
In your opinion, why were these two statements removed for DBS? Beerus training to obtain UI was left in from RoF so that happened in the movie continuity and DBS. You're using a statement that was kept in the story to support two that seem intentionally left out. Beerus still hasn't mastered it by the ToP and still stronger than UI Goku in the manga without it. If that was meant to explain it and that was Beerus was training offscreen since BoG then why not leave those other statements?
I can't say. However, Toyotaro didn't finish RoF manga and told the audience to see the movie. Just as DBS: Super Hero was written purely as a sequel to DBS: Broly movies only. Go figure. :?:

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:48 am

Miracles wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:53 pm The anime writers did not ignore it when they themselves have Beerus lying about using 100% of his power. They just did not give a percentage that was used. Therefore it does not contradict the near 70% line in the movie. In RoF Beerus was said to be in an attempt to master Ultra Instinct, did Toriyama factor that into the near 70% line? Obviously not hence why Whis goes on to say in RoF that it may be possible for two blues to compete, not beat but compete against Beerus. This can be applied with Goku stacking KK on Blue because Beerus is simply an unknown in power. It all fits.
The thing is, SSJG Goku gives Beerus a good fight. So he’s not much weaker than whatever power Beerus used in their fight, and multiplying his power would lead to Goku surpassing him.

It is said that Beerus aims for UI, but how consistent he is with this training is another matter. If he’s been training for millions of years, a couple years where he’s not trying much isn’t yielding any big increases.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:40 am

picc wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:45 pm Lets say fusion is still allowed and the supreme kai has potara on hand. And with U3 posing the biggest threat its possible U7 targets them before they're able to utilize Aniraza.
Taking out the heavy hitters of U11 and U6 makes this scenario a little more balanced for all the other teams, so they would probably target each other with more frequency as well, not only U7.

Assuming we are picking everyone in the aftermath of the battle against Majin Boo, then we have the possibility of:

- Super Vegetto
- Ultimate Gohan
- SS3 Gotenks
- Boo
- Piccolo
- Tenshinhan

Of course, the other universes have pretty strong competitors, but individually not too different from SS2 range, and when in group the SS3 tier fighters can handle them just fine. Anilasa would probably be the only one troublesome and it could be defeated with combined effort of Vegetto and the others.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:45 am

By now, with the scrapped 70% Beerus used, how much was it really?
Even 10% is too much, that's early SSB.
1% also seems too much, I doubt Beerus is only 10x stronger than pre-MSSB, or even current SSB. He might still be twice stronger than the Ultra forms.
I'm going with 0.25% of his true power, but that might be too much, as well, and there's another arc left where this number might go even lower.
In any case, the authorial intent was 70% and 10 years later it turned out to be less than 1%, lol.

It only works if it was the 70% of a fraction of his power(1%, 0.5%, whatever), but then its our headcanon explaining that out, harmless headcanon, though.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:05 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:45 am By now, with the scrapped 70% Beerus used, how much was it really?
Probably some vague low percentage. I think the manga is a lot clearer about conveying the retcon as not only does Goku never absorb SSG into a lower form, but Beerus also doesn't really break a sweat when fighting him. The thrust is that it's just enough to entertain him in his suppressed state, something that no other mortal at the time was capable of.

Definitely not as impactful as the original film, but for whatever reason, the writers just decided that Super's Beerus should remain at the top. I doubt Toriyama expected modern DB to go on for as long as it has.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:34 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:48 am
Miracles wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:53 pm The anime writers did not ignore it when they themselves have Beerus lying about using 100% of his power. They just did not give a percentage that was used. Therefore it does not contradict the near 70% line in the movie. In RoF Beerus was said to be in an attempt to master Ultra Instinct, did Toriyama factor that into the near 70% line? Obviously not hence why Whis goes on to say in RoF that it may be possible for two blues to compete, not beat but compete against Beerus. This can be applied with Goku stacking KK on Blue because Beerus is simply an unknown in power. It all fits.
The thing is, SSJG Goku gives Beerus a good fight. So he’s not much weaker than whatever power Beerus used in their fight, and multiplying his power would lead to Goku surpassing him.

It is said that Beerus aims for UI, but how consistent he is with this training is another matter. If he’s been training for millions of years, a couple years where he’s not trying much isn’t yielding any big increases.
Towards the end of the fight Beerus told Goku he hasn't "even come close to fighting all out." So "nearly 70%" wasn't being used most of the fight.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:36 pm

To be fair, Beerus didn't break a sweat either in the movies or the anime.

It's pretty clear cut - no matter how much Goku managed to pummel or blast him, Beerus was always shown to be both unscathed and raring to go. Goku simply never stood a chance. But the fact that he could put up a fight against Beerus is what impressed the god.

Also it's not a math problem. If the line remained the same and Goku transformed into SSB, he would still be below Beerus no matter how "so much more powerful than he was as a SSG". The narrative would simply be that "even this massive increase in power was still not enough", even if it didn't make mathematical sense.

But, yeah, a retcon is the most likely scenario here, true. Toriyama not envisioning the series to go that far and all.
Miracles wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:34 pm

Towards the end of the fight Beerus told Goku he hasn't "even come close to fighting all out." So "nearly 70%" wasn't being used most of the fight.
I remember that being said when they were in the cave, right? Just before Goku said "really? and here I am using 80%" or something. It felt like both admitting to be still holding back.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:42 pm

Almighty Majin wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:03 pm
Thing is, they are not aware that Aniraza is a trump card that U3 has. Either way, it does not matter since I don't think Vegetto is beating Maji Kayo. That guy was strong enough to give Dyspo a hard time and even needed Jiren to come in to ring him out, plus he would be incredibly troublesome with his liquid metal body.

U3 aside, Obuni from U10 still required ToP Ultimate Gohan so even Obuni could probably beat Vegetto, at least in the anime version.

GreatSaiyaman123 also mentioned U9 which I forgot to mention. The Trio de Danger were all in the SSJ2-3 level range and working together, they were so troublesome that they required Blue Goku and Vegeta to ring them out. So if those 3 work together they could likely come out matching if not being able to beat Vegetto as well.

U2's Pretty Black Hole attack is another problem that required SSJB to power through so that's another huge problem if that comes up.

I forgot to mention something important about U4, but considering Damon was able to ring out Piccolo before he could react and even managed to catch Android 17 off-guard and nearly ring him out (on top of being fast enough to dodge Quitela's stomps after he lost), he could also pose a major problem.
The Trio de Danger aren't that strong. Bergamo is the only one in the base tier and the other 2 are even weaker than Good Boo before he trained.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:05 pm

Thani wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:36 pm To be fair, Beerus didn't break a sweat either in the movies or the anime.

It's pretty clear cut - no matter how much Goku managed to pummel or blast him, Beerus was always shown to be both unscathed and raring to go. Goku simply never stood a chance. But the fact that he could put up a fight against Beerus is what impressed the god.

Also it's not a math problem. If the line remained the same and Goku transformed into SSB, he would still be below Beerus no matter how "so much more powerful than he was as a SSG". The narrative would simply be that "even this massive increase in power was still not enough", even if it didn't make mathematical sense.

But, yeah, a retcon is the most likely scenario here, true. Toriyama not envisioning the series to go that far and all.
Miracles wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:34 pm

I remember that being said when they were in the cave, right? Just before Goku said "really? and here I am using 80%" or something. It felt like both admitting to be still holding back.
Yes you are right. Goku said he was going 80%.However, I have stated what you said how it's not a numbers issue but a narrative issue. Since Toriyama just supposed those numbers to be the case. The plot is quite clear, Goku himself said there was no way he could stand up to Beerus. Meaning he could never defend himself or fight Beerus at this 70%.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:46 pm

Seeing how Toriyama said that no one can stop him when he's angry, Where does Beast Gohan scale against Beerus?

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:25 am

ZombieVito wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:42 pm The Trio de Danger aren't that strong. Bergamo is the only one in the base tier and the other 2 are even weaker than Good Boo before he trained.
dude, Good Buu is strong as hell. Plus he's basically a living cheat.

Also: Blue being 50x God was INFERRED by LATER works than RoF, never stated.
Hell, SS being 50x Base was never stated in the manga.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:39 pm

picc wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:14 am How far do you guys think U7 would have gotten in the ToP if it was everyone circa the end of the buu saga?

Let's say U11 and U6 are exempted along with the other universes with highest mortal level.
I think it would not be easy, and that fight-as-you please approach would end up biting them in their asses. Without teamwork, they are gone. And also fusion, which would be a last resort thing for Goku and Vegeta.

SS Gotenks (with SS3 just in case)
SS2 Goku
SS2 Vegeta (Super Vegito just in case)
Ultimate Gohan and Piccolo
Krilin, Roshi and Tenshinhan
17, 18 and Buu.
While there are no god forms, 17 should still have been living on monster island for at least 7 years or so. He might not be as strong as he was in DBS, but should be quite strong, if not low SSB level, then perhaps SSG level, Super Vegito level or something in between. He can be quite the trump card.

U2: has Ribrianne and some good teamwork that could end up with a Pretty Black Hole.
U3: it was mostly machines, and even before Aniraza, there was Koichiarator I think, it gave Gohan a run for his money. And of course Maji Kayo that seems to be god level.
U4: had Damon and that other weirdo.
U9: had the dogs, and mostly Bergamo.
U10: had Obuni that required Ultimate Gohan to go down.

Vs. U2 "The Hands that Built the Universe": Ribrianne got ringed out by 18 IIRC, and flat out withdrew in the manga. I think they can deal with her somehow, the same for the PBH, that appeared late into the tournament, they just have to take things seriously and ring everybody out when they can before they can regroup and try things like the Black Hole, instead of chasing dogs with puffy tails.

Vs. U3 "Rage Against the Machines": I'm pretty sure not all of them were contenders, most of them were ringed out by low-level people like Cabba, Roshi, 18, and Gamisaras. If they team up, they can deal with the big guns, before Aniraza is formed. Individually, the only one that's a serious problem is Maji Kayo, not even the robots forming Koichiarator are supposed to be a big deal.
I think Maji Kayo could be dealt by 17 and somebody else assisting him. If Super Vegito and 17 fought together, I can see Maji Kayo going home.

Vs. U4: "It's a trap": Most of these team was defeated by the humans, Krilin, Roshi. Monna seemed to be the strongest, she gave SS Cabba some trouble. Damon is the problem, but he got ringed out by 17, and he can do that here too.

Vs U9 "Who let the dogs out?": This one might be the most troublesome because they proved to be quite good together, and Bergamo has that weird technique. But two of those dogs were defeated by a rusty, blind SS Gohan and Mr. Buu. If they work together, they can pull Bergamo and overpower him as a team. Super Vegito and 17 could work together and ring him out, too.

Vs U10 "Muscle Tower Part 2": I think this one depends solely on Obuni. The rest isn't impressive, I can see the rest of the U7 team dealing with them while the big hitters focus on Obuni.

Without U6 and U11, I think U7 would benefit greatly from not having Jiren and Hit drawing their attention, letting them focus on just beating who they have in front of them. They wouldn't be running around looking for that white rabbit, but fighting whoever they encounter. Knowing there's a hakaishin-level beast somewhere made them be all over the place.

I think Super Vegito (he probably would turn SS2 or even SS3, if needed), 17 and Ultimate Gohan fighting together could deal with the serious threats like Maji Kayo, Obuni, or Bergamo, while Mr. Buu, Piccolo, and SS3 Gotenks could deal with lesser threats, and 18 would lead the earthlings and clean up the weaker fighters. But like I said before, they would have to go for the "win", not enjoy their fights, not let the opponents transform, get breaks, etc.
If they do their usual thing, if they get cocky, if Vegito or Gotenks try to take people on their own, then they are gone. Through teamwork they defeated Jiren, these people should be a piece of cake.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:03 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:25 am
ZombieVito wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:42 pm The Trio de Danger aren't that strong. Bergamo is the only one in the base tier and the other 2 are even weaker than Good Boo before he trained.
dude, Good Buu is strong as hell. Plus he's basically a living cheat.

Also: Blue being 50x God was INFERRED by LATER works than RoF, never stated.
Hell, SS being 50x Base was never stated in the manga.
He's a weakling before he trains. Base Goku would kill Good Boo very easily as seen by base Commeson Vegeta vs SS3 Gotenks.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:03 pm

Thani wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:36 pm To be fair, Beerus didn't break a sweat either in the movies or the anime.
He visibly breaks a sweat in both, though it's more frequent in the anime. This isn't some incongruity where the narrative was at odds with the numbers – those percentages were in the script to convey how far Goku could push Beerus into going all-out, and using 70% of his power fits with Toriyama's original 6-10-15 scale. There's also a line in the TV show where he mentions being pushed to 10% while fighting Vegeta.

All of this information is curiously omitted from the manga, where Beerus never looks too flustered at any point. It's just a little more digestible in the comic for those who like to focus on the retroactive minutiae.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:45 pm

However, the possible training that Beerus is pursuing Ultra Instinct [RoF] is not being considered.

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:25 pm

My point was that their teamwork was troublesome enough to warrant SSJB to deal with them quickly. It's feasible that 2 sub-Buu level fighters + 1 potentially above SSJ3 Gotenks level fighter working in perfect unison would be able to give the Buu arc U7 characters some major trouble.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:29 pm

shadd21 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:46 pm Seeing how Toriyama said that no one can stop him when he's angry, Where does Beast Gohan scale against Beerus?
I don't think Gohan is stronger than Beerus yet. The day someone surpasses Beerus, and like really surpass, not just maybe surpass like Broly, it's gonna be a huge deal.

If we do place Broly and Beerus in the same level, then Toriyama suggests Gohan is still inferior since he compares a Complete Cell Max to Broly instead of Gohan.
Almighty Majin wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:25 pm My point was that their teamwork was troublesome enough to warrant SSJB to deal with them quickly. It's feasible that 2 sub-Buu level fighters + 1 potentially above SSJ3 Gotenks level fighter working in perfect unison would be able to give the Buu arc U7 characters some major trouble.
To be fair, them going SSJB was just to look cool. SSJ1 was already enough to take on the whole U9, so why would they need Blue to take on 3 guys?

Still, even forcing them to go SSJ1 is a pretty big deal.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:50 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:29 pm To be fair, them going SSJB was just to look cool. SSJ1 was already enough to take on the whole U9, so why would they need Blue to take on 3 guys?

Still, even forcing them to go SSJ1 is a pretty big deal.
It is possible that the Dangers Triangle group technique that they use allows them to punch greatly above their weight similarly to techniques like the Tri-Beam, Special Beam Cannon, or the Spirit Bomb. Also, keep in mind that pooling ki together tends to be a significant temporary power boost like when Piccolo borrowed energy from Gohan and Krillin to stall Freeza on Namek or in BoG when Goku was considered the strongest warrior after gaining the energy from the surround Saiyans when he was first attempting to achieve SSJG.