Aren't they worrying the original Japanese cast are not going to be with us forever?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Aren't they worrying the original Seiyuu's not going to be with us forever?

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:13 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:44 amI think a bigger waste would be dedicating a shred of production time to anything from that movie.
Just because the movie is bad doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be used for more interesting stuff, or proportionate a more compelling setting for the characters. But, if for some reason Shueisha or Dimps think the same, I'd be okay with just a cameo (it would still be a waste not to have them interacting with each other, but it's alright).

Anyway, to go back on-topic, Dragon Ball Evolution Goku is voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi. I don't know how was the Japanese voice casting reception of the movie, but maybe we already have one who could take on Goku's role moving forward.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:23 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:34 pm
Ilona19 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:28 pm I know it's "easy" to replace voice actors but the problem is with Japanese conservative culture.. I've heard in the past they simply stopped producing certain animes if it's iconic seiyuu's died, out of "respect". Hope this will not be the case with Dragon Ball if main voice actors pass away...
Can you name any examples? Because we're still getting Dragon Ball, Kidou Senshi Gundam, Lupin III and plenty of other anime despite many main cast members passing away. In fact, more often than not, a franchise will get a completely separate cast for a new adaption of an anime.
I heard main reason we didn't get more seasons of Nyaruko, is because they didn't wanted to replace deceased Miyu Matsuki as Cthuko.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:16 am

Grimlock wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:13 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:44 amI think a bigger waste would be dedicating a shred of production time to anything from that movie.
. But, if for some reason Shueisha or Dimps think the same, I'd be okay with just a cameo (it would still be a waste not to have them interacting with each other, but it's alright).
Why wouldn't they? It's a movie that was aggressively hated with a passion by most of the fandom (the rest being apathetic towards it or too young to remember it existed)and it was a singular movie from nearly 15 years ago without any sort of follow up. There is zero incentive for any of Dragon Ball's IP holders to have any interest or incentive to do anything with Evolution.

The like 5 people begging for Dragon Ball Across the Multiverse of Madness will just have to do without
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:07 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:08 pm Yeah, I don't know that this sudden interest is for DBE. That is by far the worst thing to bear a Dragon Ball logo (it goes without saying, but in my opinion).
To be fair, I don’t think it’s exactly a popular sentiment for DBE to get reevaluated. Most people seem to have just forgotten about it. It hasn’t really been looked at from a new lens like the Star Wars prequels or the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man movies.
Bingo. People who were kids when the Star Wars prequels came out have been proclaiming their love for the prequels and people who didn't like the prequels have become warmer towards them since the sequel. And Spidey fans are at least acknowledging Garfield was a good Spider-man put in two shitty movies.

Aint nobody talking about how they loved Evolution as a kid and still look at it fondly, aint no one saying "Actually, Justin Chatwin was a great Goku!", aint nobody deciding Evolution was aight after seeing Super, no matter how much they may hate the latter.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:27 pm

Just because the movie is bad doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be used for more interesting stuff, or proportionate a more compelling setting for the characters. But, if for some reason Shueisha or Dimps think the same, I'd be okay with just a cameo (it would still be a waste not to have them interacting with each other, but it's alright).

Anyway, to go back on-topic, Dragon Ball Evolution Goku is voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi. I don't know how was the Japanese voice casting reception of the movie, but maybe we already have one who could take on Goku's role moving forward.
The only interaction worth the time would be the main series cast seeing them and going "Yo what the fuck was that???" The property has no value, a damn near 0% approval rating, and most importantly, the creator despises it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:02 pm

It's too weird. I'm hearing Inu Yasha from Goku's mouth.. I'm fully aware he could probably take on another voice but still.

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:22 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:27 pm The only interaction worth the time would be the main series cast seeing them and going "Yo what the fuck was that???" The property has no value, a damn near 0% approval rating, and most importantly, the creator despises it.
Truth. The only way the Evolution cast is getting into any modern Dragon Ball media is if they get the “1998 Godzilla in Final Wars” treatment. Have Justin Chatwin challenge the real Goku to a duel, have him get absolutely rekt in 5 seconds, and then just move on. Toei would never show Evolution in a way that affords it even a shred of respect.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Aren't they worrying the original Japanese cast are not going to be with us forever?

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:26 am

I can understand that to westerners, the practice of using the same actors across all media seems all the more conservative in comparison with western productions, where you have different actors in live action, in dubbed material and in video games.

But I remember the situation when the actor of Mr. Satan died and Videl's voice actress wanted to step down from Dragon Ball Kai out of respect. Mr. Satan was replaced and Videl's voice actress is with us anyway, also voicing Pan.

I don't really think it's an issue and that Japan is really that different business wise based on the experience. Sure, some cultural undertones and different mannerisms are part of it, but nothing vastly different from western practices in this case.

If they will want to produce new Dragon Ball, the actors will be recast.
Bulma's actress was a huge loss for longtime fans, and god rest her soul, it is always a tragedy to lose anyone in business and real life,
but I must say that the new actress does a pretty good job and I have got used to it, so great work in the casting department.
Of course, nobody will ever replace the original Bulma.

I can't even imagine hearing different Char Aznable at some point in the future. Nobody will stay with us forever, but nobody is ever really gone and I am happy, that I can get back to many of the original works and enjoy the immortal performances of great actors.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:12 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:02 pmIt's too weird. I'm hearing Inu Yasha from Goku's mouth.. I'm fully aware he could probably take on another voice but still.
I'm still yet to watch Dragon Ball Evolution in Japanese, but I don't expect him to do the very same voice as in the movie. I mean, he also voices Usopp (One Piece), Danny (Zatch Bell), L (Death Note)... His range is great.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:17 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:12 am
sangofe wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:02 pmIt's too weird. I'm hearing Inu Yasha from Goku's mouth.. I'm fully aware he could probably take on another voice but still.
I'm still yet to watch Dragon Ball Evolution in Japanese, but I don't expect him to do the very same voice as in the movie. I mean, he also voices Usopp (One Piece), Danny (Zatch Bell), L (Death Note)... His range is great.

Usopp and L would be very misfitting voices for Goku for sure. Danny I have never heard.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: Aren't they worrying the original Japanese cast are not going to be with us forever?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:04 pm

Kiyoshi Kobayashi voiced Daisuke Jigen, Lupin III's gunslinger partner, for 50 years, and when he passed away Akio Ohtsuka took up the role.

In higher relevance, Tien Shinhan's original voice actor Hirotaka Suzuoki voiced the role till 2006, then he was replaced by Mitsuaki Madono (2007-8) and later Hikaru Midorikawa (2009 onwards). And Bulma's voice actor Hiromi Tsuru was succeded by Aya Hisakawa.

So there are bound to be replacements for the original voices, eventually.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:27 pm

Not recasting characters or giving them the silent treatment is I think disrespectful to the work for which the character is voiced. Actors aren't bigger than the roles they play.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:48 pm

I can't speak for them, but in that case I guess they'd probably get away with paying them less money than they do to the legendary VAs.