Saddest Pieces of Music in Dragon Ball.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: Saddest Pieces of Music in Dragon Ball.

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:59 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:27 pm It plays again when Vegeta is giving Trunks his goodbye hug. I remember that well because it abruptly cuts off when Vegeta chops Trunks in the neck.
Oh right, thanks. Sort of odd that it was used multiple times without much distance between each usage. Then again I think that's how most of Z seems to be with the track selections in a given saga.
coola wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:39 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSTKcmrXsHU DB Movie 3, Piccolo sacrifice...
Speaking of Piccolo, there's M-712 which is the one rendition of Piccolo's theme with expertly removed accidental notes. Though I'm not sure if it was meant to be "sad", but it can sound like that if used in the right context.

Also, got another candidate: M-1118 (especially for the first portion of it)

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:30 pm

By the way, I really should have read the OP, because I missed this part:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:09 amI am sorry if this is misplaced. But I checked out the music sections and its more about the technical side of music rather than discussing it as art and the emotion it evokes.
and I apologize for doing so and then asking the same question you'd already answered initially.

Now, I did have something I wanted to say about the following:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:09 am-Most of the sad versions of Gohan's theme: You know the one, the one that plays during the most sad and heartbreaking moments in Gohan's Journey, especially the Dinosaur and Robot death episodes. Its so cute and gentle and its extremely unusual that it doesnt go too hard in the "CRY NOW DAMMIT" direction of Naruto's Sadness and Sorrow or Fullmetal Alchemist's Bratja but combined with the animation it hits you like 100 tons of bricks.
As a question of which direction to take, it's a case by case basis of which types are effective, and also varies depending on what the audience is. It may be a specific type of track in a score for a specific type of scene as you noted, but the execution is a lot more important.
(A side note though, I wouldn't necessarily mention later 2000's series as a point of reference, if only because the landscape and types of these series are rather different in what they're going for.)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:08 pm

I just knew someone would say that. About the 2000's approach to music composing. But One Piece is ALSO another anime that doesnt have a standard cry now theme but it does have over 15 devastatingly sad themes. I guess this is more of a Toei thing and I am openly cheating since the One Piece anime is a 90's anime, It started on 1999 the final year of the 90's decade.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:16 pm

It has to be M-512 for me (Death of the Master). It’s one of the few pieces actually composed to correspond with a sad death scene in Dragon Ball IIRC.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:58 pm

I want to hear another piece of Music and I know Kanzenshuu is the right place to look for the people who can help me. Can someone share the scene or the piece of music of the time Goku learned Master Roshi was dead and he remebered all the good times they had together?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:14 am

Majin Buu wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:27 pm The track from Movie 7 that plays when Goku is getting beaten up by Super 13. It gets reused when Piccolo is telling Vegeta what his fate will be before Vegeta sacrifices himself against Buu. It evokes both sadness and despair.
I thought about that one. But I'd say the ost from movie 4, where Goku was getting beat around by Slug before his supposed Super Saiyan power-up, is the despairing one. It was notable for scenes like Vegeta sacrificing himself against Buu, Trunks crying at future Gohan's death, when Piccolo got tossed into the ocean by Cell, Freeza causing the explosion of namek, and others.

I like the music called "Crushing Defeat" in Super. I like how uplifting it is in its latter half of the score. It's a fall and rise type of music.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:59 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:08 pm I just knew someone would say that. About the 2000's approach to music composing. But One Piece is ALSO another anime that doesnt have a standard cry now theme but it does have over 15 devastatingly sad themes. I guess this is more of a Toei thing and I am openly cheating since the One Piece anime is a 90's anime, It started on 1999 the final year of the 90's decade.
(As expected of Tanaka, he delivers once again :p)
Well, there's also a lot of anime you could say that about, even in the contemporary period of DB/Z and also after it. I think you'd noted one of them in your opening post before? It's probably not exactly Toei-specific, though they do like to recycle tracks from other connected media rather than having it be done on target from the beginning. Most in DB/Z don't even have actual names besides official collections that give them titles which aren't really reflective of where the tracks come from aside movie-specific releases like movies 8, 10, and 11.
Vhanos wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:14 amBut I'd say the ost from movie 4, where Goku was getting beat around by Slug before his supposed Super Saiyan power-up, is the despairing one. It was notable for scenes like Vegeta sacrificing himself against Buu, Trunks crying at future Gohan's death, when Piccolo got tossed into the ocean by Cell, Freeza causing the explosion of namek, and others.
Turns out I posted that very one in this thread before, namely M-1118.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:58 pm I want to hear another piece of Music and I know Kanzenshuu is the right place to look for the people who can help me. Can someone share the scene or the piece of music of the time Goku learned Master Roshi was dead and he remebered all the good times they had together?
Kenisu3000's list should have most of them, it tends to be on the mark with when certain tracks were used in either series (especially if you know the episode).

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:05 am

While not really something considered sad (and Bardock Falls is already mentioned here), I always get a sense of melancholy whenever I listen to Dan Dan, the opening to GT. It's more a confession of love assuming my interpretation of the translated lyrics on here is correct, but it's more so the composition that felt like a sense of finality, or things are coming to a close soon.

Although that interpretation is done out of hindsight, knowing how the series would go and it's effect on the franchise (although judging by others' analysis over the years, GT is more so a symptom or a last straw than the cause), and it's probably just because the committee wanted a nice nostalgic sounding song to tie in with GT's then back to basics approach with the Black Star arc.

Y2_O3

Post by Y2_O3 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:12 am

Don't look at people through a scouter.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:49 am

Y2_O3 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:12 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpgnLQOQvYw
Should mention for the record that this is originally composed by Tetsuji Hayashi, and adapted for the score of the movie in variations we normally never heard from Kikuchi.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:50 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:59 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:58 pm I want to hear another piece of Music and I know Kanzenshuu is the right place to look for the people who can help me. Can someone share the scene or the piece of music of the time Goku learned Master Roshi was dead and he remebered all the good times they had together?
Kenisu3000's list should have most of them, it tends to be on the mark with when certain tracks were used in either series (especially if you know the episode).
Where I can find that list?

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:19 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:50 am Where I can find that list?
In the music section, the pinned thread up top.
Although I hear that BladeXRG's list is more up to date.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:56 am

Used and found just the piece of Music I wanted.

Dragon Ball OST- Fond Memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci6tv7r7vZs

It immediately made me cry.