What's the deal with that one Battle of Gods moment?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Re: What's the deal with that one Battle of Gods moment?

Post by Vegetto95 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:42 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:15 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:56 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:03 am It's almost like they really like it or something :eh:

Like I dunno man, it sounds like the premise of this thread is "Why do these people like something that I hate so much?" and it doesn't sound like you're willing to budge to any reason so...okay, I guess?
They didnt say they arent willing to budge to any reason. They are just really puzzled as to why people prefer Funimation's version. Sure they did go a bit over the top in their hate of that version but they were just curious as to why people preferred that version.
I didn't say he said that. But his response so far has been, "Yeah, but it sucks and you only like it because your expectations are low!" and so well...what exactly is he seeking to get out of this?
You ever think I'm just legitimately curious since, as I stated in the beginning, I am the farthest thing from being aware of the headspace of FUNimation dub fans apart from just straight-up living in Japan, since I haven't watched more than maybe five seconds of FUNi's DB dubs in any capacity since 2007? (although I watched a LOT of them in the almost ten years before that since I first got into the series on Toonami back in '98, so I ain't talkin' outta my ass here as to my issues with it lol)

Not trying to get on you personally or anything, but that is something I've seen here on this forum for YEEAARS (I just joined a few months ago, but I have been a VERY frequent visitor since the early-mid 2000s, and there's one or two threads in particular I remember from like six or seven years ago at least where this particular kind of discourse went on for multiple pages), that when a fan of the Japanese version (of which there obviously are many here) insults the English dub, or just generally says something negative about it, even if they do so in a constructive way with actual discussion points backing up their arguments, I've noticed some dub fans tend to get rather defensive and feel like THEY'RE being attacked. Like, basically implying that when fans of the original Japanese version say something negative about the dub, it somehow means that they're personally attacking the people who watch and enjoy it? But that is just 100% not the intent at ALL.

I could write a full-length BOOK about all the gripes I have with FUNimation's dubs of the DB franchise and how poorly I think they've handled it over the past 29 years since they got the license, along with all the ways in which I feel it that their treatment has devalued and negatively impacted it (and I seem to be a little harder on it than most people I've seen, as I have next to ZERO positive things to say about the dub, and besides... Kunzait's already written that book several times over on here :lol: ), but ALL of that would be SOLELY my opinion. I'm not attacking or insulting ANYONE aside from the actual people at FUNimation Entertainment, LLC who made the corporate decisions decades ago to do what they did to a series I love, because of the STRONG lasting negative impacts that said decisions have had, and STILL have, on the franchise and its fanbase to this day.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:47 pm

Vegetto95 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:42 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:15 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:56 pm

They didnt say they arent willing to budge to any reason. They are just really puzzled as to why people prefer Funimation's version. Sure they did go a bit over the top in their hate of that version but they were just curious as to why people preferred that version.
I didn't say he said that. But his response so far has been, "Yeah, but it sucks and you only like it because your expectations are low!" and so well...what exactly is he seeking to get out of this?
You ever think I'm just legitimately curious since, as I stated in the beginning, I am the farthest thing from being aware of the headspace of FUNimation dub fans apart from just straight-up living in Japan, since I haven't watched more than maybe five seconds of FUNi's DB dubs in any capacity since 2007? (although I watched a LOT of them in the almost ten years before that since I first got into the series on Toonami back in '98, so I ain't talkin' outta my ass here as to my issues with it lol)

Not trying to get on you personally or anything, but that is something I've seen here on this forum for YEEAARS (I just joined a few months ago, but I have been a VERY frequent visitor since the early-mid 2000s, and there's one or two threads in particular I remember from like six or seven years ago at least where this particular kind of discourse went on for multiple pages), that when a fan of the Japanese version (of which there obviously are many here) insults the English dub, or just generally says something negative about it, even if they do so in a constructive way with actual discussion points backing up their arguments, I've noticed some dub fans tend to get rather defensive and feel like THEY'RE being attacked. Like, basically implying that when fans of the original Japanese version say something negative about the dub, it somehow means that they're personally attacking the people who watch and enjoy it? But that is just 100% not the intent at ALL.

I could write a full-length BOOK about all the gripes I have with FUNimation's dubs of the DB franchise and how poorly I think they've handled it over the past 29 years since they got the license, along with all the ways in which I feel it that their treatment has devalued and negatively impacted it (and I seem to be a little harder on it than most people I've seen, as I have next to ZERO positive things to say about the dub, and besides... Kunzait's already written that book several times over on here :lol: ), but ALL of that would be SOLELY my opinion. I'm not attacking or insulting ANYONE aside from the actual people at FUNimation Entertainment, LLC who made the corporate decisions decades ago to do what they did to a series I love, because of the STRONG lasting negative impacts that said decisions have had, and STILL have, on the franchise and its fanbase to this day.
The problem is you've framed this as a more or less a loaded question. I mean, look at your initial question:
Like, what gives? Why do people genuinely like that atrocious delivery SO MUCH? Is that REALLY how far low the Sean Schemmel Bar has been set amongst fans of FUNi's cast? I just... don't get it.
You're basically asking, "Why do you guys like something that's so terrible?!" and essentially answering your own question by deeming it low expectations. When you start off like that it begs the question of what will be accomplished by engaging this topic. What are you going to get out of the positive responses, and what are fans going to get out of answering your question without feeling like their entire taste is on the hotseat?

As for me. I thought Schemmel's delivery was pretty strong. I think the line was a bit awkward although it's a difficult line to adapt. I think the reason why it's resonated with a lot of fans is because it shows Goku's determination to defend his friends and his home. His original line of "Stop destroying things!" speaks to the same idea - he even says it against Frieza, basically "Stop wrecking other people's planets!" It's a good summation of what a lot of people like about Goku, particularly the English-speaking fandom...but again, it sounds like from your posts on here that you already knew that part so again I ask: what are you hoping to accomplish with this thread?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:12 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:47 pm You're basically asking, "Why do you guys like something that's so terrible?!" and essentially answering your own question by deeming it low expectations. When you start off like that it begs the question of what will be accomplished by engaging this topic. What are you going to get out of the positive responses, and what are fans going to get out of answering your question without feeling like their entire taste is on the hotseat?

As for me. I thought Schemmel's delivery was pretty strong. I think the line was a bit awkward although it's a difficult line to adapt. I think the reason why it's resonated with a lot of fans is because it shows Goku's determination to defend his friends and his home. His original line of "Stop destroying things!" speaks to the same idea - he even says it against Frieza, basically "Stop wrecking other people's planets!" It's a good summation of what a lot of people like about Goku, particularly the English-speaking fandom...but again, it sounds like from your posts on here that you already knew that part so again I ask: what are you hoping to accomplish with this thread?

You seem to be under the at least partial impression that I somehow have some problem with the wording of the line itself... whiiich I never said. It's not the same sentiment as the Japanese line, but it's not a GIGANTIC difference like it would be if it was 1995-2007 FUNi doing it. It's pretty decently close for the most part.

If you reread my initial post, you'd see that my problem instead lies with the way the line is SAID. How INCREDIBLY rushed it is, how Schemmel just runs the whole thing together in such an unnatural, forced way to the point where "Iwillnotletyoudestroymy" basically just becomes one word... something which only maybe half of the replies here have understood. I've gotten several reasons for why people like the wording (one person did say how they like the way he screams "WORLD", but nothing about the rest of it).

So I'm just genuinely curious to know why people not only excuse, but actually enjoy such blatantly poor matching between dialogue writing/performance and animation timing. And that's all it really is, I just legitimately PERSONALLY don't understand OTHER people's positive opinions SPECIFICALLY on the insanely rushed delivery of the line and am merely curious as to what they think. I'm well aware that my opinions are not gonna change theirs and theirs won't change mine, and I knew that going in. That has nothing to do with this. I mean, why do I have to have some kind of grand Machiavellian end goal? Can't I just have a simple discussion, even if it doesn't lead to some mind-blowing epiphany?

It's not like there hasn't already been ten million threads on here where users just ask other users their opinions on (sometimes controversial) parts of the franchise for no reason other than knowledge for knowledge's sake and to start a conversation. Especially when those threads often involve a great deal of conflicting opinions between different sides of the fandom. What all of a sudden makes me doing the exact same thing so many others have done so different and pointless? I stated my opinions, and I'm just curious as to those of others, whether they align with mine or not. I'm not really trying to accomplish anything, and I don't understand why it's apparently so crucial that I am.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:00 pm

I think a main difference in opinions is weighing how much delivery matters in terms of what's actually said over the way in which the voice actor articulates it.

In this case, it's a very quick moment that's punctuated by Sean Schemmel's vocal cords on full blast.

How do you get adapt this moment from the original Japanese where Goku is filled with determination to stop Beerus from destroying things? I'd argue the verbose rapid-fire sentence works to its advantage in this case as it helps to further punctuate Goku's explosive emotional outburst, as he's saying such a simple sentence with immense power and speed like he can't contain his rage any further.