Sources for romanizations of Japanese names

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Sources for romanizations of Japanese names

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:29 pm

First of all, I would like to note that it's admirable that Kanzenshuu is a place that strives for accuracy on the information it documents and presents towards its audiences, and even more so that it has been going on for decades now, with most of the same individuals in charge. That deserves credit without any doubt.
However, I would like to ask about something regarding the key staff listings, credit lists, and other such places that the site has on movie or episode guides: What sources are used when arriving at a romanization for a given name?
I ask, because I read the names of various credited individuals for roles both large and small. And I was wondering, where do the romanizations come from?
As I was reading, I did find at least one that I knew for sure was incorrect (from the guide for Movie 01):
Seeing this, at least one of my suspicions was confirmed, and I can't help but wonder if there are any other such instances present in the guides or other places on the site. Since about 2021 or so, I've been working on listing out and transcribing information for JP material, primarily soundtrack CD's, a lot of which I scan myself or read existing scans to get info out of, primarily for a website called VGMdb.

And if there's anything I've learned about romanizations for Japanese names from the many I've worked on and seen, it's that they always require a credible source for the readings of their names, whether that's a kana reading for their kanji that can be reliably traced back to the individual in question (via their company, role, or a project they may have been involved in), or even a romanization from a Japanese company's official material (not a Western one as those would tend to get it wrong or use machine translation without any actual sources to depend on).
This is because unlike, say, Chinese or Korean, these names can have numerous different readings for the same character, most commonly with first names and less so with last names.

With all this noted, what I would like to ask again is this: What sort of sources does this site use when romanizing Japanese names in credits?
I'm not sure if anyone has asked this specific question before, but I hope it is a welcome inquiry.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Sources for romanizations of Japanese names

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:20 am

I'd have to let Heath (and/or Jake, depending on what work he did there) speak to it a little more authoritatively, but yeah, there might still be some "best guesses" in some of the older pages. At some point we had discussed a little kinda like "citation needed" superscript notation next to names that we didn't have a confirmed furigana reading for, but that just hasn't panned out / been a priority.

(I will say that I know for a fact we go out of our way to look for intended readings when we come across one that's not already established. Sources include either printed interviews or official staff databases that detail the names with furigana and/or Latin alphabet spellings, sources from the subject themselves if they have any kind of presence out there, etc. etc. etc.)

If you see anything like that where you can provide a concrete / primary source for what the spelling should be, please just let us know!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: Sources for romanizations of Japanese names

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:21 am

Understood. Not sure if this should go in the "errors" thread or not, but just today I found another one thanks to a certain thread mentioning the name:
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... a-comment/

The name is actually Masaru Hayakawa [Main Source: https://thetv.jp/person/0000083060/] as opposed to the one written on the translation page.
Additionally, his Twitter page has the handle as "hayakawa_m" which is the initial of his given name.